PDA

View Full Version : Finally... China goes Blue!

KR~!
05-28-2008, 05:12 AM
Eleven Chinese disc manufacturers, including TCL, Malata and Desay, have been authorized by Blu-ray Disc Association to produce Blu-Ray discs, CDs, and disc players next year. According to president of Blu-ray Disc Association, each of the manufacturers have now turned to BD development since Toshiba's withdrawal from the HD DVD camp in February this year and BDA's member number has increased to 187 while that of International DVD Forum has decreased to 163 from 240. It is estimated that the demand for consumer electronics and computers adopted with BD technology will reach 5.3 million this year and top 11 million by 2009.

SOURCE: http://www.chinatechnews.com/2008/05/23/6782-chinese-companies-authorized-to-produce-blu-ray-products/

Reverenddave
05-28-2008, 08:57 AM
Considering that Blu-Ray Players require frequent firmware updates, I doubt I'd trust any no-name manufacturer. Personally, I'll stick with the PS3 which seems to be future-proof.

dwatts
05-28-2008, 09:03 AM
But you never know, they might produce players that can be made region free. So a huge bonus. If nothing else, prices might fall.

Didn't players need constant firmware updates because the Blu-Ray spec was forever changing? Now it's settled, we shouldn't need anywhere near as many I'd have thought. If you have a profile 2.0 player, I'd be happy it wouldn't need an update to be honest.

Reverenddave
05-28-2008, 09:18 AM
Didn't players need constant firmware updates because the Blu-Ray spec was forever changing? Now it's settled, we shouldn't need anywhere near as many I'd have thought. If you have a profile 2.0 player, I'd be happy it wouldn't need an update to be honest.

I don't know. I thought the HD-DVD spec was settled before they started making players? But I still had to update the firmware every few weeks.

Personally, I like the firmware updates. It keeps my player up to date. If we had firmware updates for the old DVD players, I might still be using my first machine (which couldn't read blanks or handle seamless branching).

dwatts
05-28-2008, 09:24 AM
The downside of firmware updates is that they might wipe out things like region free codes. The sort of thing Apple have gotten up to with the iPhone. I'd sacrifice firmware updates for a region free feature, as long as it's profile 2.

KR~!
05-28-2008, 12:23 PM
The key is that prices should start to come down much faster than it would have without them, which will get even more people on board, which in turn means more Blu-Ray releases!