PDA

View Full Version : Least Favorite Romero Dead Film

rhett
06-02-2008, 11:15 PM
Well, DIARY OF THE DEAD is out now to mixed blessings. That seems to always be the case with Romero's DEAD films though, so like with Argento, look past the gold and tell me which of his films has the most grime.

fattyjoe37
06-02-2008, 11:23 PM
Diary of the Dead by far.

x666x
06-02-2008, 11:24 PM
Land. They need to keep Hopper out of horror. I realized this back when Texas 2 came out.

satans-sadists
06-02-2008, 11:38 PM
Flawed as Land of the Dead was, I loved it compared to Diary of the Dead. :eek1:

Diary had pretentious narration, completely unlikeable characters, embarrassing f/x, and a foul air of predictability. I expected more from Romero.

Mark Relford
06-02-2008, 11:40 PM
Land for me. Parts of it feel like a SCI-FI channel original movie and I hate Big Daddy.

Lucio Romero
06-02-2008, 11:44 PM
Ooooo this is a hard one......Diary:D I'll be stunned if Night, Dawn or Day get any votes:eek:.

LUCIO!!!!!

Workshed
06-02-2008, 11:45 PM
Land of the Dead suffered from a big-budget feel with low budget CGI. It was more Action movie than Horror, and although its reach was impressive, it never fully grasped anything.

Rockmjd
06-03-2008, 01:03 AM
Diary of the Dead is the weakest.

KGBRadioMoskow
06-03-2008, 01:05 AM
Have yet to see Diary, having heard so little good about it, what little of that being from people saying "but not as good as Land". And given Land is currently far and away my least favorite of the series (and the only one I don't like - and I've forced myself to rewatch the piece of crap not once but *twice* trying to see why others insist this is a good film), that is not high praise.

Add in that many of the Diary of the Dead fans seem to loathe Day of the Dead (brilliant film, IMO), and I'm just not looking forward to the inevitable day my curiosity and still burning Romero worship brings me to watch it.

Until that day, I can't decide on this poll, because I don't have "all the facts".

j tea
06-04-2008, 05:47 AM
wtf voted for night?!?!

fceurich39
06-04-2008, 05:52 AM
i voted for land of the dead but just barely i enjoyed diary of the dead slightly more than land can't wait to see diary of the dead part 2 hopefully it will be alot better

Erick H.
06-04-2008, 09:13 AM
I saw DIARY in the theater and thought in was a solid experiment,but it still is my least favorite.

Midnight Buddha
06-04-2008, 09:20 AM
Diary hands down.....

7_RaggedTiger
06-04-2008, 02:31 PM
Diary of the Dead

MorallySound
06-04-2008, 03:14 PM
Land of the Dead. It's a fun flick, but because it's big-budget but is lacking the substance and commentary the other Dead films have.

Noto
06-04-2008, 03:45 PM
Eh, even after watching Diary, which has the dumbest most repetitive commentary ever, btw, I had do go with Land, because Land just didn't try hard at all.

Diary had moments of excellence, followed by long stretches of lameness. I'll take that over "nothing" any day.

Rockmjd
06-04-2008, 05:36 PM
Five people said that either Night or Dawn was their least favorite. Really? I mean, really?

shithead
06-05-2008, 08:18 AM
Diary Of The Dead. I love the guy, but Diary may be his worst film yet.

Chunkblower5000
06-05-2008, 11:30 PM
I guess I should have read the question closer. I assumed it said favorite so I voted for Dawn. Disregard that vote. My bad.

_pi_
06-06-2008, 02:35 AM
For me, it's easy. The first four films all have some merit (to varying degrees). Diary, simply, does not.

Silent Noize
06-06-2008, 06:21 AM
Diary Of The Dead. I love the guy, but Diary may be his worst film yet.

Indeed.

Godless
06-07-2008, 12:39 AM
I guess I should have read the question closer. I assumed it said favorite so I voted for Dawn. Disregard that vote. My bad.
Did the exact same thing, except I went with Night :D

allmessedup
06-07-2008, 06:39 AM
I do know that some people don't like Night as much as the others, though.

I don't know many people that dislike DAWN, other than a few who I think are just trying to be contrary.

DIARY is definitely the weakest. DAY is not a favorite of mine [I like LAND better] but any problems that DAY has, DIARY has ten times more, and doesn't have the cool effects to redeem its weaknesses the way DAY did.

Livingdead102
06-07-2008, 07:09 AM
I voted Land, but I haven't seen Diary yet. It actually sounds like something I would like.

Bobbywoodhogan
06-07-2008, 10:56 AM
I dont like Day actually, thought it was boringm aside from Bub :D

DVD-fanatic-9
06-14-2008, 07:39 PM
I'm almost tied between Night and Day. I have never understood the point of Night of the Living Dead. When I watch that movie, I pick up as many messages about race from it as I do messages about the Vietnam War from The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Zero.

But I completely understood Day of the Dead. And it sucks. So, that one gets my vote.

thrashard76
06-15-2008, 07:46 AM
I went with Land of the Dead as I have seen all of them but Diary.

Ash J. Williams
07-16-2008, 07:26 AM
The "Pretentious Narration," in Diary is what gives it a lot of its sting, actually. The way she points out simple ideals the way George never would in words just seems like a brilliant move to sell its concept. Her words aren't George's words, as George has no words for what he says. If he did, they would be hers.

I voted for Night, because while it's good, and I shudder to think what modern horror would be without it, it's the only one I can't watch over and over and over again. And that's saying something, because Dawn is, what, twice as long?

Day is angry, harsh and brilliant. It has inspiring effects work. It has inspiring writing and performances and is a brilliant contrast piece to Dawn. That will never change for me.

Yeah, I love Land, because the cinematography is his best ever, and the story is just as socially relevant and scary as Dawn is today. An exclusive society locking out the poor and the minorities even in times of dire emergency? That's scarier than any fucking zombie. I can go on about Land, for a while, but I won't. It's good.

Diary, I fucking love. It's got sensational set pieces, and a meaning to every one of them, whether it's stated in the words of a pretentious film student, or Deodato-quiet. Being a film student, it's just as good as any of the others to me, since the Totally Unlikable Characters are people I'm actually going to be living with next year, and see every day. They're a strength of the film, not a weakness.

You know these are my opinions; I don't need to make that clear, I don't think.

maskull
07-17-2008, 11:05 PM
This is hard. Diary I actually liked but didn't enjoy being clubbed over the head with the "message". The actual zombie stuff was nice though. Land had a dumb ending and a certain zombie that annoys the hell out of me. Day I pretty much alternated between boredom and frustration. I voted for Day. At least I can watch the other two again.

OK maybe that wasn't so hard after all. :)

vampyr789
07-30-2008, 11:50 PM
i hated Diary of the Dead

indrid13
08-16-2008, 04:22 AM
Diary of the Dead all the way, was meh.

Slackjaw83
08-16-2008, 05:22 AM
I'll go with "Land". I'm just not a fan of it as a whole. It's not the worst movie ever, not by any means, I just think the other 4 are much stronger. Mybe it's because "Land" is on a larger scale, I dunno.

shape22
02-24-2010, 03:11 AM
I watched Land on Blu-ray tonight. And I enjoyed the hell out of it. It's so much better than Diary I can't even begin to describe the gap.

Diary is BY FAR the worst movie he's ever made. The characters and narration are not just bad--they're embarrassing. ANY other Romero film gives me enough enjoyment to forgive any rough patches. Not Diary. It's mostly rough patches.

X-human
02-24-2010, 03:58 AM
I can't bring about enough courage to see Diary of the Dead. It's a shame too, because Romero use to be a favorite of mine. Now I dread news of what's next from him. I'll have to hear compelling evidence to get anywhere near Survival of the Dead.

buck135
02-24-2010, 10:14 AM
I have a feeling that Survival is going to take the honor of being the worst of the Dead films.

The Chaostar
02-24-2010, 12:35 PM
Well if you ask me, Survival KICKS ASS.

spawningblue
02-24-2010, 11:57 PM
I watched Land on Blu-ray tonight. And I enjoyed the hell out of it. It's so much better than Diary I can't even begin to describe the gap.

Diary is BY FAR the worst movie he's ever made. The characters and narration are not just bad--they're embarrassing. ANY other Romero film gives me enough enjoyment to forgive any rough patches. Not Diary. It's mostly rough patches.

Agreed. land isn't that bad in my opinion, but Diary is unwatchable. I hate it and will probably never watch it again.

buck135
02-25-2010, 01:01 AM
Well if you ask me, Survival KICKS ASS.

I hope I can agree with you. My expectations are low after Diary. Hopefully we can all see it sometime soon.

shape22
02-25-2010, 01:51 AM
I hope I can agree with you. My expectations are low after Diary. Hopefully we can all see it sometime soon.

I agree 100%. Diary was a huge bummer for me because I expected to love it. I sincerely hope that Survival is a big-time return to form. The genre could really use some top-tier Romero.

Criswell
02-25-2010, 09:07 PM
Land for me.