PDA

View Full Version : Code Red ensures their first official 2-disc won't go Unseen

rhett
06-10-2008, 06:55 AM
Our favorite bad movie archivists and historians, Code Red, look to be growing comfortably under their new tenure with BCI. First news they are working on non-Code Red supplements like the superior schlub slasher, FINAL EXAM, and now they are issuing their first official double disc set [following their Best Buy exclusive second disc on THE DEAD PIT] with August 19th's THE UNSEEN. It's a slasher with a retarded farm boy as the killer, and with that role played by Flounder from ANIMAL HOUSE, it sounds like the least scary film ever made. Fear not though; it's directed by Danny Steinmann, the man who made handicap horror somewhat of an art form after the handicap sister rape in SAVAGE STREETS and the mentally challenged axing in FRIDAY THE 13TH: A NEW BEGINNING.

http://horrordvds.com/vb3forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4886&stc=1&d=1213073719

Steinmann's unfortunately absent from the special features, but he's about the only one with Code Red's massive two disc set for the 1981 film. Here's the lowdown on the features:

DISC ONE

Brand New Anamorphic 16x9 transfer from the original IP
Audio Commentary with Producer Tony Unger and star Stephen Furst moderated by Lee Christian.
On camera interview with co-stars Furst and Doug Barr
Still Gallery
Original Trailer
Code Red Trailer

DISC TWO

On camera interview with make up effect supervisor Craig Reardon.
On camera interview with Make up effect legend and the film's writer Tom Burman.
Make up test slides, sketches and behind the scenes stills from Craig Reardon's personal collection.

Retro slashers coming to DVD is always a momentous occasion, but with two discs of Code Red love, August 15th can't come soon enough! The MSRP is $24.98, so get saving.

Erick H.
06-10-2008, 07:49 AM
Didn't care for it when I saw it in the 80's,maybe I should see it again,though.

Katatonia
06-10-2008, 08:55 AM
Awesome, it shall be mine!

Mattapooh
06-10-2008, 12:36 PM
I'm kind of at the point where everything Code Red puts out is a must-buy, and this is no different. Besides, it's not like anyone else is still putting out obscure 80s slashers, so I don't feel bad about supporting.

Stige
06-10-2008, 02:35 PM
anyone anywhere know anything about their release of the REDEEMER they promised, not on their website anymore (movie is also known as class reunion massacre. PLEASE don't let this title be dropped

Mutilated Prey
06-10-2008, 04:29 PM
I thought I read somewhere that the original negative of Redeemer was lost - that's why is was never released.

eric_angelus
06-10-2008, 06:08 PM
I can't wait for this! The Unseen is one of my favorite obscure 80s horrors. I saw it in theaters in it's first release, and it has always stuck with me. Not really a slasher movie, very well made. Its great to see a proper DVD release. I have the UK disc which is missing a crucial scene explaining why the thing in the basement is the way he is. Love that cover art too!

JBPumpkin
06-10-2008, 06:11 PM
This may be slightly off-topic, but the Code Red release I am most looking forward to is "Silent Scream". I recall seeing this on VHS waaayy back in the day, and really enjoying it a lot. But it never seems to get much attention. Possible that it isn't as good as I remember?

delicreep
06-10-2008, 06:19 PM
Stige wrote:

anyone anywhere know anything about their release of the REDEEMER they promised, not on their website anymore (movie is also known as class reunion massacre. PLEASE don't let this title be dropped

The Redeemer is long, long gone. Code Red could not locate a usable print. Here's a quote from someone claiming to be "in the know" on the IMDB:

Speaking on behalf of Code Red, as I know the owners of this company as I have participated in commentary tracks on some of their future releases, I know the story behind this release.

Code Red is NOT holding back this release. The negative is LOST! The only thing the rights owner has at this time is the old crappy Genesis VHS video release. This was a fact NOT KNOWN until after the contract was signed between Code Red and the rights owner. When Code Red was able to search out a print from a private collector in the hopes of finding better materials, it was in such bad shape that the lab said that the quality of the old Continental VHS Video was 'Criterion' in comparison to what could be made out of this private print. Simply put, this film does NOT exist in quality elements. Why aren't other distributors looking into it? Simply put - they did! Code Red spoke to four of them (just look at the thank you credits on any of their discs and you'll get a clue as to who they may be), and they all turned it down for the same exact reason - there are no elements and it is already getting bootlegged on a dollar label. Unlike the other rare film by the same rights owner - "TEENAGE GRAFITTI" - quality materials do exist - unlike THE REDEEMER, where none exist.

Code Red is NOT holding anything back - they pursued every avenue to find presentable elements for this film, but none exist. And considering it's already on a $1 bootleg label in about the best way its ever going to look, how can anyone expect a pristine release to come out of NOTHING?

So, there you go.

satans-sadists
06-10-2008, 06:21 PM
A friend of mine has been asking me for the last two years or so if I heard when this would be coming out. I never saw The Unseen, but it sounds like entertaining trash and the cast is great with Barbara Bach (The Spy Who Loved Me), Doug Barr (The Fall Guy), and Sydney Lassick (One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Carrie, Alligator). Never expected a two disc release! :)

wago70
06-10-2008, 06:21 PM
I liked this film - it was well-made. A sure buy for me :)

Stige
06-10-2008, 06:49 PM
thanks for the replies everyone , guess i will just have to treasure my crappy old copy dvdr from the video ( which I own the VHS of by the way so not techically a bootleg)

indiephantom
06-10-2008, 09:01 PM
I'll get it. I've got 3 Code Red's so far, and I will follow this label closely. Great stuff.

fceurich39
06-10-2008, 09:15 PM
i probably wont get this i have it on vhs still and didn't really care for the movie that much i have 3 code red dvds also
dead pit,sole survivor and doom asylum my next one will be
nightmare

also is the chilling that comes out on dvd june 24th a code red release because i remember a while back when code red announced they got two 80's zombie movies the dead pit and the chilling but i see some websites saymedia blasters is the studio that is releasing the chilling dvd anyone know?

hellraiser40
06-10-2008, 11:11 PM
never seen this, yet i'm very excited. strange, cause i've seen Devil Times Five, Don't Go In The Woods...Alone, The Forest and Doom Asylum and they were all basically crap

but i like slashers and they are apparently the only ones releasing them, so i'll buy them (hope The Unseen is a bit better than those previous ones)

seems unnecessary to release this on 2 DVD's, considering the content on the second one, but i'll give them the benefit of the doubt

sad about hearing that The Redeemer won't come out, liked the trailer very much!

Mark Relford
06-11-2008, 12:46 AM
I'll be getting this one too. It's not as bad as the others mentioned. Is The Mutilator still on their schedule?

DrHerbertWest
06-11-2008, 03:02 AM
Devil Times Five & Doom Asylum were radical. I still got those. Sole Survivor was pretty good and Boardinghouse was miserable. They're still on my good side so I'll check this out. I'm excited that a DVD company is still putting out obscure 80's horror.

Erick H.
06-11-2008, 06:43 AM
Question about THE REDEEMER.I recall a film that began with a creepy sequence where a mysterious figure emerged from a lake and seemed to be moving through an old house.It was pretty ominous looking.Is that THE REDEEMER I'm remembering,if not,anyone know what that I might be ? Looked like a 70's film.

Cujo108
06-11-2008, 06:54 AM
^ Yep, definitely The Redeemer. It's one of the best slashers out there, and deserves a quality DVD release. Hopefully someone will do right by it in the near future.

I saw The Unseen a few year back and didn't think too highly of it. I'm willing to give it another shot though, as it's rare I don't care for a slasher. For the record, Dead Pit is a 2-disc release.

delicreep
06-11-2008, 05:38 PM
fceurich39 wrote:

also is the chilling that comes out on dvd june 24th a code red release because i remember a while back when code red announced they got two 80's zombie movies the dead pit and the chilling but i see some websites saymedia blasters is the studio that is releasing the chilling dvd anyone know?

Media Blasters is the distributor for The Chilling, but Code Red still did the work on the DVD. I assume this is because CR might still owe MB some titles from their former distribution contract. If I'm not mistaken, The Chilling, Killer's Delight and Campus Corpse are the final few that Code Red did for Media Blasters.

Erick H. wrote:

Question about THE REDEEMER.I recall a film that began with a creepy sequence where a mysterious figure emerged from a lake and seemed to be moving through an old house.It was pretty ominous looking.Is that THE REDEEMER I'm remembering,if not,anyone know what that I might be ? Looked like a 70's film.

That's The Redeemer. There are two great interviews on the Hysteria Lives! website--one with the actor who played the killer, T.G. Finkbinder, and one with the writer William Vernick. Apparently, Class Reunion Massacre was really just supposed to be a slasher, but the producers added the wonky faux-religious beginning and ending segments to try and cash in on the Omen. Hence the 'Redeemer' title.

VideoViolence
06-12-2008, 04:46 AM
I'll be buying this one. I have the original Vid America vhs release as well that still has some of the original wrapping on it!

ArrowBeach
06-12-2008, 06:54 AM
fceurich39 wrote:

Media Blasters is the distributor for The Chilling, but Code Red still did the work on the DVD. I assume this is because CR might still owe MB some titles from their former distribution contract. If I'm not mistaken, The Chilling, Killer's Delight and Campus Corpse are the final few that Code Red did for Media Blasters.

I believe LOVE ME DEADLY was one as well.

Erick H.
06-12-2008, 08:02 AM
Thanks for the REDEEMER info CUJO 108 and delicreep !

dcrw6
06-12-2008, 08:41 AM
I'm down for this one. I've been trying to get every one of Code Red's releases in order to support them. That sucks about The Redeemer. I only just now looked into it because of Fright Rags having a shirt for it. lol Guess I'll have to look for a boot of it.

X-human
06-24-2008, 10:57 PM
Now that the cat's out of the bag about the 2 disc Dead Pit this press release seems rather shady, as I suspect they knowing pushed it out before word of their REAL first 2 disc set Code Red's released became common knowledge.

rhett
06-25-2008, 01:30 AM
Now that the cat's out of the bag about the 2 disc Dead Pit this press release seems rather shady, as I suspect they knowing pushed it out before word of their REAL first 2 disc set Code Red's released became common knowledge.
No, there's no foul play like that. They made no mention of it in their press release to me, I just added that superlative because I was surprised to see them give another disc to their already solid releases. This was before I knew anything about THE DEAD PIT. Still, it's their first "official" 2-disc, at any rate.

Franco
06-25-2008, 05:12 AM
It's ultra-cheap in DVD Pacific when compared to that price in Amazon. Pre-order now!

Vdlman
07-06-2008, 05:28 AM
I'm excited about THE UNSEEN and Code Red's other upcoming releases. I still need to get SOLE SURVIVOR and THE DEAD PIT.

Yowie
07-18-2008, 09:21 PM
Isn't its OAR 2.35:1? I remember reading that somewhere.

X-human
07-18-2008, 09:37 PM
No, there's no foul play like that. They made no mention of it in their press release to me, I just added that superlative because I was surprised to see them give another disc to their already solid releases. This was before I knew anything about THE DEAD PIT. Still, it's their first "official" 2-disc, at any rate.

Well all right then. I'd agree that Dead Pit doesn't really count either as a 2-disc edition.

It just occurred to me too that the topic title itself took on its own meaning, as The Dead Pit 2-Disc edition will go mostly unseen thanks to the asshats at Best Buy.

Mutilated Prey
07-18-2008, 10:17 PM
Well all right then. I'd agree that Dead Pit doesn't really count either as a 2-disc edition.

It just occurred to me too that the topic title itself took on its own meaning, as The Dead Pit 2-Disc edition will go mostly unseen thanks to the asshats at Best Buy.

asshats - haha.

I just watched my VHS rip of Unseen this morning - whata friggin silly movie. It's more funny than anything else because of Flounder acting like a 'tard.

Harry Warden
08-06-2008, 12:52 AM
The Unseen will be on my "to buy " list. I watched this film years ago but don't really remember too much about it. However, if Code Red is going to take the time to release obscure horror films, I'm game and will gladly shell out the bucks!!

satans-sadists
08-18-2008, 05:29 PM
DVD Drive-In review: http://www.dvddrive-in.com/reviews/t-z/unseen8081.htm

Katatonia
08-20-2008, 09:00 PM
It's a fine release indeed. And the transfer is thankfully Progressive encoded, unlike the previous couple of Code Red discs which were Interlaced.

Are you doing a review rhett? :evil:

gore
08-21-2008, 02:23 AM
I have picked this up along with all other code red releases so far ( besides boarding house). I will continue to support them but I cant help but wish there release schedule was reversed.

rhett
08-21-2008, 03:40 AM
Are you doing a review rhett? :evil:
Yeah, if the damn thing ever gets here! Being in Canada, I've always got a few days handicap behind the other sites out there because it takes so long for discs to arrive here. I'm very anxious to check it out...glad to hear Code Red is back to being progressive.

thrashard76
08-21-2008, 05:16 AM
...glad to hear Code Red is back to being progressive. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0PIdWdw15U);)

rhett
08-21-2008, 05:43 AM
;)
:lol: I was waiting for someone to comment, for better or worse. ;)

CodeRedDVd
08-21-2008, 07:30 AM
:lol: I was waiting for someone to comment, for better or worse. ;)

thanks.

thrashard76
08-21-2008, 08:35 AM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1402/1467781991_0d3ed49f23.jpg?v=0

Rockmjd
08-22-2008, 04:36 PM
Hey CodeRedDVD, Fangoria now lists Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker as 'future undated'. What happened?

Stige
08-22-2008, 05:14 PM
please don't let butcher baker go the same way as redeemer

Katatonia
08-23-2008, 01:32 AM
please don't let butcher baker go the same way as redeemer

I'm still hoping The Redeemer will get a release. After all, it had a theatrical showing recently.

Stige
08-24-2008, 07:33 PM
well I guess I can still live in hope , would love to retire my VHS and VHS rip

Jason25
08-25-2008, 04:19 AM
Wow, what a shitty film. Zero suspense, not much gore, and even Stephen Furst in a diaper couldn't save this turd. I was equally unimpressed by the acting all around, with the lone exception being Sydney Lassick. Even he got on my nerves after awhile but he was still solid. I hadn't seen this one before but I always heard good things about this one. Those opinions couldn't have been further from being right about this one.

Wow, what a bad, bad film.

The DVD was decent enough I guess, though nothing too amazing. The extras weren't bad. The sound was very flat and I found myself increasing the volume alot to hear the dialogue. The transfer was ok, nothing stellar but passable.

onebyone
09-07-2008, 07:19 AM
41 minutes in and I am just barely hanging on to my will to live. :sleepy:

indiephantom
09-15-2008, 06:10 PM
41 minutes in and I am just barely hanging on to my will to live. :sleepy:

:lol: Sorta glad I cancelled my pre-order after hearing a bit more comments like this.

Mutilated Prey
09-15-2008, 09:40 PM
This is one of those flicks that looked so great when you saw the trailer when it first camer out in the theaters. You thought for sure there would be some serious rape scenes by God knows what going on in that dungeon of a basement. Nothing like that at all.

I like it just because of Flounder acting like such a retard :lol:

fceurich39
09-15-2008, 09:47 PM
i am perfectly happy with my vidamerica vhs

Mutilated Prey
09-16-2008, 01:06 AM
i am perfectly happy with my vidamerica vhs

The DVD is a definite upgrade. I sold my VHS on eBay like 2 weeks before the DVD release for $16 (I think I bought it for $10 originally). I ripped the VHS for fun - cleaned it up and such. The DVD was basically a free upgrade.

Mattapooh
09-16-2008, 01:12 AM
Man, I dunno why everyone rags on the stuff Code Red puts out. Back when Boarding House came out, every post was saying how boring and lame it was, but I dug the shit out of it. I laughed my ass off throughout the whole thing. Same deal with almost everything else, especially The Forest.

Mind you, Don't Go in the Woods was pretty rough, but even that had it's moments (like the wheelchair guy, just amazing).

Mutilated Prey
09-16-2008, 02:10 AM
CodeRed is doing us horror freaks a great service. They are releasing really random rare stuff that most others don't even know how to digitize properly, and they're getting the original negatives. Sure, some of the flicks are a little below par, but always seem to keep me interested on different levels - no complaints here. I love that they're letting me upgrade a few of my old VHS's.

17thJuggalo
09-16-2008, 02:34 AM
CodeRed is doing us horror freaks a great service. They are releasing really random rare stuff that most others don't even know how to digitize properly, and they're getting the original negatives. Sure, some of the flicks are a little below par, but always seem to keep me interested on different levels - no complaints here. I love that they're letting me upgrade a few of my old VHS's.

I agree fully. They take flicks that no one would even think of releasing and they give them the deluxe treatment. They really give horror fans what they want, which is why I'm confused that most people trash them at times. Maybe it goes back to when they were posting on here and people didn't think they were legit or something.

onebyone
09-16-2008, 02:38 AM
Man, I dunno why everyone rags on the stuff Code Red puts out. Back when Boarding House came out, every post was saying how boring and lame it was, but I dug the shit out of it. I laughed my ass off throughout the whole thing. Same deal with almost everything else, especially The Forest.

I enjoyed every single Code Red release that I have purchased before this one. I even laughed my way through Boardinghouse. This one was just soul suckingly bad in my opinion and I have a high tolerance for bad.

I don't think horror fans rag on every single release Code Red has, they fall all over them (and mostly with good cause) so I got to call :bs: Some of their Internet postings were very strange way back when, but that doesn't mean I love my Doom Asylum DVD any the less.

Mattapooh
09-16-2008, 02:49 AM
I love their stuff, personally. They seem to be going for the video store nostalgia factor, so there's probably just a small market of d00dz like us picking this stuff up because it reminds us of picking up random boxes at the local convenience/video store in the 80s and taking our chances (which usually ended up being the type of cheesy crap that Code Red's been putting out, ironically).

I think they've been retarded when it comes to their release schedule and the fact that there's still no update on The Mutilator one way or the other is just weird, but overall I get a kick out of what they're doing.

DeathDealer
09-16-2008, 03:20 AM
Still haven't gotten a single disc from these guys yet.

Gotta catch up!

Mutilated Prey
09-16-2008, 04:28 AM
I own about 75% of the releases and will definitely pick up a few of the future ones.

eric_angelus
09-16-2008, 05:53 AM
I love The Unseen! Been looking everywhere for it, but have not located it yet. If any of the folks who hate it wanna unload their copy drop me a PM!

VideoViolence
09-16-2008, 06:30 AM
Great movie. I have a used Vidamerica VHS that still has most of the original wrapping on it!

indiephantom
09-16-2008, 05:43 PM

Mind you, Don't Go in the Woods was pretty rough, but even that had it's moments (like the wheelchair guy, just amazing).

Hey man, I haven't ragged on any of their DVDs. I agree with Onebyone that their initial forum posting was pretty :fucked:, but after I bought BOARDINGHOUSE my opinion quickly changed...went on to get DON'T GO IN THE WOODS, THE FOREST, SOLE SURVIVOR and I have HOT MOVES pre-ordered.

The only thing that interest me here was that it's by Danny Steinmann, and I love his other films. Sadly, he dismissed it and I really haven't heard much beyond that it's a boring film. So this is clearly an opinion about one title and not the impressive and fun Code Red catalogue which most of us have been enjoying.:glasses:

vampyr789
10-08-2008, 12:35 AM
the movie sounds interesting, i might see it

Rockmjd
10-09-2008, 08:06 PM
What's this?
http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?style=MOVIE&pid=7761598&frm=lk_dvdps

Says it's from Code Red.

Mutilated Prey
10-09-2008, 08:32 PM
What's this?
http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?style=MOVIE&pid=7761598&frm=lk_dvdps

Says it's from Code Red.

Weird I have no idea. Those actresses are both from soft porn film - Laura Gemser is in like every Emanuelle.

rhett
10-09-2008, 08:43 PM
You read right, it is a Code Red title. It was announced in their November catalogue.

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/3825/gemserjg1.th.jpg (http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/3825/gemserjg1.jpg)

Looks interesting, to say the least...

Kim Bruun
10-09-2008, 09:09 PM
The only thing that interest me here was that it's by Danny Steinmann, and I love his other films. Sadly, he dismissed it and I really haven't heard much beyond that it's a boring film. So this is clearly an opinion about one title and not the impressive and fun Code Red catalogue which most of us have been enjoying.:glasses:

Exactly - only I'm in the opposite camp. I love The Unseen - that along with Sole Survivor are my two favourite Code Red releases. I didn't really enjoy The Forest - I'm glad I've seen it and supported Code Red by buying it, but I don't see myself revisiting it. ;) Even as genre fans, it's unlikely that we will all enjoy everything Code Red puts out.

But as for The Unseen being boring, I found much to enjoy. There's a clever shift in the hero/villain dynmamics, and the scenes with Bach trapped with the unseen are electric and tense. And Lelia Goldoni and Sidney Lassick give some fun, quirky performances. Minor slasher classic in my book.

CodeRedDVd
10-10-2008, 08:44 AM
You read right, it is a Code Red title. It was announced in their November catalogue.

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/3825/gemserjg1.th.jpg (http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/3825/gemserjg1.jpg)

Looks interesting, to say the least...

This isn't really a Code Red title, so you don't have to buy it on my account as we are just helping out my friend, cult producer Mardi Rustam with distributing his "sex" comedies, as I used to work for him. He supplied us with the masters, so we really didnt have much imput into the release (we did add a "comedy" commentary from the Ban 1 guys to spice it up abit), and uless you want to see Gemser in a aerobic video, there is nothing "horror" about this thing!