PDA

View Full Version : HDTV...no audio???

Matt89
06-17-2008, 09:25 PM
Ok,

So I finally got a 32" Sharp Aquos. I bought an HDMI cable today, but when I hook it up there's no sound. There's HD picture, but no sound at all. Do I need to get a separate audio cable now? Are the red/white cables no longer any good??

~Matt

baggio
06-17-2008, 09:35 PM
Ok,

So I finally got a 32" Sharp Aquos. I bought an HDMI cable today, but when I hook it up there's no sound. There's HD picture, but no sound at all. Do I need to get a separate audio cable now? Are the red/white cables no longer any good??

~Matt

The HDMI carries the audio along with the video. So there is no need for rca cables for audio with the use of HDMI. So the problem lies somewhere else. Unless of course its a loose connection or bad cable.

If your hooking it up thru a cable box, check the audio outs for that. I know most boxes have a onscreen menu for adjusting audio sound levels. Even turning them completely off. So try that.

cazzasguy
06-17-2008, 09:45 PM
I believe only HDMI 1.3 carries audio as well as video?

Shannafey
06-18-2008, 09:25 PM
If your hooking it up thru a cable box, check the audio outs for that. I know most boxes have a onscreen menu for adjusting audio sound levels. Even turning them completely off. So try that.

That's what happened to my sister. I figured it out after checking everything out. Also, on DVD players, there are different sound selections, so basically it is the device that is sending the signal. That's where you look first!

Grim
06-19-2008, 12:26 AM
Yeah, my upconverting DVD player could not output the sound through HDMI, so that could be it. Come to think of it my 32" Toshiba monitor couldnt take in sound through HDMI either. I don't have that problem with my Samsung 46", though.

Matt89
06-19-2008, 12:40 AM
Yeah, I had to fiddle with something on the DVD player. The HDMI audio comes through now loud and clear. However, up-conversion really doesn't look that good. I bought a Philips 1080p upconverting DVD player, only because I have about 25 R2's and I needed something to upconvert them too. I'm getting a PS3 this weekend, so I'm hoping (and have been told) that it gives excellent upconversion.

~Matt

Grim
06-19-2008, 01:20 AM
The PS3 is great and it's what I use, but don't get your hopes up. To me the whole "near-HD quality" ploy that companies use to sell their up-converting players is a crock of shit. It just makes standard definition movies not look like absolute dog shit on your HD set.

KamuiX
06-19-2008, 01:35 AM
Yeah, I had to fiddle with something on the DVD player. The HDMI audio comes through now loud and clear. However, up-conversion really doesn't look that good. I bought a Philips 1080p upconverting DVD player, only because I have about 25 R2's and I needed something to upconvert them too. I'm getting a PS3 this weekend, so I'm hoping (and have been told) that it gives excellent upconversion.

PS3 is definitely an excellent upconverting player, and you will notice the difference compared to the Philips (I probably have your same player)....I only use my Philips upconvert for other region discs and avi files, which look pretty nice upconverted.

Also, upconverted films look better the farther away you're sitting. When I'm at my PC, which is closer to the TV, they don't look as good as when I'm back sitting on the couch.

Shannafey
06-19-2008, 09:33 PM
To me the whole "near-HD quality" ploy that companies use to sell their up-converting players is a crock of shit. It just makes standard definition movies not look like absolute dog shit on your HD set.

No way! DVDs look amazing on my 47" w/ the Philips unit.

17thJuggalo
06-19-2008, 10:58 PM
The PS3 also has the awesome ability to limit different types of "noise" producing a better picture. It looks much better than my LG upconverting player, but I just use that one for region free discs.

Rocker10
06-19-2008, 11:02 PM
My Toshiba HD-DVD player is the best of all of my players for upconverting. The format may be dead (I had Blu as well anyway), but I wouldn't give up my HD-A20 for anything. My Samsung DVD upconvert looks like shit. Not all players look that great.