PDA

View Full Version : Article on my theater...

marcx
07-07-2008, 04:16 PM
http://www.electronichouse.com/article/basement_theater_is_a_bargain_at_5k/

dwatts
07-07-2008, 05:26 PM
Hey - coolio!

Marc says most of the research and planning went into his Panasonic PT-AE900 projector purchase.

I've had my AE700 for two years now, and it gets heavy use. 2000 hours and counting on the lamp, and it's working as well as the day I bought it. Panasonic make terrific projectors.

Nothing else in the room would make sense without it, and the first time I fired up an image from that thing the smile on my face was 10 feet wide!”

It's all about space. The largest I've had is 12 feet wide - though currently I'm stuck at a measly 7 foot. But yes, it makes a hell of a difference. ;)

onebyone
07-07-2008, 07:24 PM
I really like the pictures with your article, your place looks nice. It is hard to blend horror and fun with a nice classy look, but you did a fantastic job.

Like the placement of the desk too, might just steal that from you. Dont sue me, ok?

3invertednines
07-08-2008, 05:57 PM
I am sorry you all don’t like it. Luckily for me, none of you are coming over!

that's a great line. Screw those haters; I'd KILL to have a setup like that.

KR~!
07-08-2008, 06:08 PM
What a bunch of snobs on that site, geesh!

Workshed
07-08-2008, 07:09 PM
Great article. Congrats! Setup looks like fun, like something I'd do if I had the cash. I'd bet none of the snobs leaving comments even have home theater setups; that's usually the case with jealous, picky comments like that.

Paff
07-08-2008, 07:37 PM
The people do have a point about neatening up the wiring. Don't get me wrong, mine's a mess too, but I also wouldn't do an article with photos, at least based on my current wiring configuration.

So many components cause a nightmare when it comes to concealing wires, and I think that's what people who go to sites like that would like to see solved. And just putting it all on a rack and letting the cabling hang in the breeze....well, anyone can do that.

Mattapooh
07-08-2008, 09:27 PM
What a bunch of snobs on that site, geesh!

I noticed that too, it's really silly.

Dude one says "I got this home theater setup and you know what? I dig it. Watching movies down there sure is fun!"

Dudes two through twenty say "Let me give you a ridiculously anal retentive list as to what you've done wrong so I can belittle you and in return make myself feel better for having to settle for my fat, idiotic, boring wife and hateful children."

marcx
07-08-2008, 09:42 PM
Thanks for th ekind words everyone--and I know the wiring behind the rack is not the neatest--it's on my list when i have freetime. The truth is i was just a surprised when electronic house wanted to cover my setup as the stuff they show usually looks supre-professional. But the author sought me out--not the other way around!!!

Anyway i love my setup :)

SEANVALEN
07-18-2008, 03:04 PM
EXCELLENT WORK MARC
When I get the money, I'll get the projector, I have a apartment, it already doubles as a office, kitchen, living room and cinema in ONE LOL, a 56inch rear projection non-hd toshiba has given me 6 years of use and it's going strong delivering nice pictures, but it does take some space up, thus a projector I might get for night film viewing, and still use my tv to watch just tv. I currently watch HD stuff at my brothers house, so I don't need HD in my place that badly, but hopefully I can treat myself come Christmas time.

Max Yokell
07-18-2008, 06:36 PM
Someday we will figure out how to do a wireless Home theater but the best ones still have wires. :)

I think mine is pretty awesome but it is a freaking wiring nightmare between 7 speakers, 2 subs a PJ and a bunch of gear.

Don't let them get you down.

Max

indiephantom
07-26-2008, 07:31 AM
dude...I love it. Looks like a fun relaxing place.