PDA

View Full Version : PHILIPS HDTVs are multi-system

maybrick
07-15-2008, 02:09 PM
Working on a tip I read over at Mobius ( http://z8.invisionfree.com/MHVF/index.php?showtopic=9781 ) I bought a Philips 32" 720p yesterday (different model than the one discussed) and sure enough, unlike what the specifications say, it is fully capable of accepting a PAL signal. What this means is, if you have a hacked dvd player (such as the ever popular DVP642) all you need to do is set it to "multisystem" in the system menu. Because the player no longer needs to convert PAL to NTSC, the video quality is much higher!

Like the guy at Mobius, I have no idea if all HDTVs can do this, but I feel that this unadvertised feature needs to be better known.

Shannafey
07-15-2008, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the heads up! I have a Philips TV and DVD player and I've played Region 2 and 4 PAL DVDs with no problem and they look great, but I will try that and check out the difference!

maybrick
07-15-2008, 04:02 PM
If your image looks great you may have it set up properly. On my old tv, my R2 copy of PHANTASM played fine but a lot of edges were slightly jagged from scan lines. When I hooked up my new tv I was disappointed that the image quality was exactly the same as my old, but as soon as I set the player to "multi" the video smoothed out.

Shannafey
07-15-2008, 07:27 PM
Thanks! I'll check it out when I get home!

ekent
07-16-2008, 04:38 PM
Hmm, I have a philips too...

maybrick
07-16-2008, 04:46 PM
I realized last night that the image boost could possibly have had more to do with switching my dvd player from a 4:2 tv setting to the 16:9 one. This doesn't change the fact that the TV itself accepts PAL, though.

edit: Okay, I just double checked myself, and yeah there's a noticeably less "shimmer" effects when the TV plays PAL direct than if the player converts the signal to NTSC. The average viewer may not see a difference, but I do.