PDA

View Full Version : Best of the first half of 2008

rhett
07-15-2008, 09:35 PM
Tough to imagine, but we're already halfway done 2008. This has been another prolific year for horror with titles from some pretty big names. Which has been your favorite thus far? Romero, Haneke, Marshall, Argento, Shyamalan...make a choice.

Mutilated Prey
07-15-2008, 09:42 PM
I went with Cloverfield, mainly because I haven't seen The Happening, The Strangers or Shutter yet. Diary of the Dead was not as good as I was hoping, and same for The Ruins. I thought Cloverfield was a fun flick and better first person shooting than Diary of the Dead.

satans-sadists
07-15-2008, 09:58 PM
The only film from that list I saw was Diary of the Dead. The less said about that waste of money at the theater, the better.

Cujo108
07-15-2008, 10:33 PM
No doubt, it's The Signal. Low budget filmmaking at it's finest, it's an incredible film, endlessly fascinating. Teeth would be my second choice, another example of pure gold made on a budget. It should be on the list.

Rockmjd
07-15-2008, 10:36 PM
Cloverfield, followed by The Strangers. I actually think besides those two this year in horror has been pretty lousy. Last year had so many great ones.

dwatts
07-15-2008, 10:40 PM
Man, I'm way behind on this years horrors. I've seen:

Cloverfield
Diary of the Dead
Mother of Tears
Prom Night
The Ruins

None of those really do it for me.

Lucio Romero
07-15-2008, 11:55 PM
Man, I'm way behind on this years horrors.

Not as far behind as me, I've only seen Diary:D Yes, it was pathetic and sucked way more than I thought it would but it gets my vote as my favourite horror film of the year haha:)

My motto is "Why watch new horror when you can watch Dawn, Salem's Lot, Creepshow, Zombie, etc again and again"

LUCIO!!!!

onebyone
07-16-2008, 12:06 AM
Is it just me, or are most of these not horror?

Either way, my favorite is Doomsday, followed by The Strangers. Two very different movies, but I thought they pretty much hit on all cylinders and look forward to watching them again soon. Doomsday was a whole hell of a lot of fun, cannot wait for the DVD.

The Signal and The Ruins were also pretty impressive, and hope Rogue lives up to its promise.

fceurich39
07-16-2008, 12:14 AM
the strangers followed by diary of the dead and teeth for me i can't believe cloverfield is listed isn't that more of a sci-fi film didn't enjoy that one that much

SaviniFan
07-16-2008, 03:40 AM
Cloverfield

Doomsday was a lot of fun and a close second for me. I look forward to picking it up on blu-ray in a couple of weeks.

Ash28M
07-16-2008, 04:12 AM
I went with Other and voted for Inside, it's easily the best out of that list. If I had to pick from the list It would be a toss up between Cloverfield, The Strangers and the Ruins.

rhett
07-16-2008, 04:30 AM
I went with Other and voted for Inside, it's easily the best out of that list. If I had to pick from the list It would be a toss up between Cloverfield, The Strangers and the Ruins.
I'll throw INSIDE on this year's list, even though most would probably consider it last year's.

indiephantom
07-16-2008, 05:04 AM
Just a couple left on the list I want to see before voting. Right now I'd go with The Ruins or The Strangers...but there are a couple that could be strong contenders.

KamuiX
07-16-2008, 05:10 AM
I voted for Inside, even if it wasn't technically from this year. Cloverfield is probably the best horror-themed film of the year so far, but it wasn't horror enough for me to really vote for it.

Also, whoever voted for Prom Night should step up so we can all ridicule him/her :lol:

Rockmjd
07-16-2008, 05:53 AM
Now that Inside is on the list, I want to change my vote to Inside, even though it was a 2007 release.

Vlachio
07-16-2008, 07:43 AM
One Missed Call loved the Japanese originals and really enjoyed the remake!

KR~!
07-16-2008, 05:24 PM
Cloverfield

Ash28M
07-16-2008, 05:25 PM
I'll throw INSIDE on this year's list, even though most would probably consider it last year's.

Yeah I was thinking that but not many people saw it in 2007 and you could say the same thing about Teeth, Mother of Tears, Diary of the Dead, The Signal ect. I would also include Rec on that list which was very good.

DrHerbertWest
07-16-2008, 07:28 PM
Cloverfield sucked, IMHO.

I went with The Ruins and keep Inside at a very close second.

2girls1guy
07-16-2008, 08:13 PM
I just saw this awesome movie called the Tattooist. Its the classic "CURSED ITEM" horror film. Its done really well though. I have to say thats go far beyond the genre while also giving some history of the Samoan culture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjcL3PVTJ_w

ReelFear
07-17-2008, 03:02 AM
i went with THE SIGNAL. loved it! my next choice would be INSIDE.

Franco
07-17-2008, 04:08 AM
Cloverfield

maskull
07-17-2008, 09:57 PM
Haven't seen enough to actually vote yet but so far my top 3 would be:

1. Rogue
2. The Ruins
3. Doomsday

of course the only other one that I saw from that list was Diary...it's nowhere near the top unless all the rest of these movies suck hard.

rp108
07-17-2008, 10:06 PM
Not going to vote until I see Cloverfield and Diary of the Dead but I really liked The Ruins. I saw it in the theatre and just watched it on Blu-ray, top notch acting, great gore, and not campy. Not sure why this film is getting overlooked. Of course horrordvds is giving it the credit it deserves. :)

DVD-fanatic-9
07-18-2008, 01:39 AM
Unfortunately (or...is it fortunately?), I haven't seen almost any of those.

I think I'd have to say the best thing out of the genre I've seen so far this year was Family Man from the Fear Itself lineup. Proceed with the popcorn throwing.

geeare
07-18-2008, 01:44 PM
T E E T H

baggio
07-18-2008, 07:09 PM
I went with the Inside. But I also liked Poultrygeist. Two ends of the spectrum, huh.

Luki
07-20-2008, 05:07 PM
Funny Games and The Strangers but I voted for Funny Games. Also I donīt see anything wrong with that list... with the exception of Doomsday everything is pretty clearly horror to me.

The Chaostar
07-20-2008, 08:02 PM
From the films in the list I enjoyed Mother of Tears the most.

MorallySound
07-24-2008, 06:30 PM
I've only seen a few of these, but so far I got to say my favorite would be 'The Signal'. It's the only one as well, of the ones I've seen, that will hold up for multiple viewings.

Anthropophagus
07-25-2008, 11:42 PM
The Cottage was an unexpected surprise for me.

booper71
07-26-2008, 06:18 AM
Poultrygeist, really brought back the troma charm of the past, or was that sludge?

Teeth also was surprisingly entertaining.

vampyr789
07-29-2008, 04:24 AM
Gutterballs wasnt on this list!! now that is a great throw-back on 80s slashers (the freaking posted looks just like the Maniac poster!!)
it has great gore!

i picked Cloverfield. i also like the remake of Funny games (but i perfer the original)

Harry Warden
08-06-2008, 12:37 AM
I have to go with The Strangers. IMO, 2008 is one of the worst year's on record for horror films. I also really liked The Midnight Meat Train, which I was fortunate to see this past weekend.

Blackheart
08-06-2008, 02:23 PM
The Strangers isn't released in cinemas here until August 14th, but it's been the only horror flick i've been anticipating to see on a big screen so far this year.

Teeth was fantastic - really grew on me once I finished viewing it.

Prom Night - argh. I liked Cloverfield for what it is, and will probably go back to visit a few times in the future - it'll be a real beer with mates Friday night staple me thinks.

Movies we in Australia haven't received yet, but i'm interested in are The Signal, Diary of the Dead (actually amazed this hasn't gottena OZ theatrical release yet) While I guess i'll have to catch up on Inside, The Cottage and Frontiers on DVD.

But I think overall, the best flick so far for me was The Ruins - it just had an uneasy feeling throughout watching that made it stand out.