PDA

View Full Version : Warner to cut Blu-ray price this fall!

KR~!
07-18-2008, 04:49 AM
read this: http://gizmodo.com/5024943/warner-bros-cutting-blu+ray-movie-prices-this-fall

Great News!

maybrick
07-18-2008, 05:35 AM
Honestly? Now that I've gone "hi-def" I can see why blu-ray and HD-DVD is failing to capture the interest of the mainstream. I like to think that I have a more discerning eye than most people, and yet the resolution I get from my meager 32-inch, 720p screen and standard DVD is more than satisfactory. WB lowering sale price is a sure sign of the law of supply vs. demand. Few people want it because few people are perfectionists. Blu-Ray is toast.

Reverenddave
07-18-2008, 06:16 AM
I'm not too happy about this news. The problem is, they're dropping prices on previously released discs. But the new releases are still going to be $30-$40 MSRP.

This means all those discs I bought at release date for $20-$25 are now worth half that much (or less). I didn't mind blind-buying a movie for $20 when I knew I could resell it for $15-18 on eBay.

I guess I won't be buying any more new releases. I'll just wait 6 months till the price drops in half.

dwatts
07-18-2008, 09:19 AM
Buying movies as an investment is a bad idea most of the time. And didn't we all expect Blu-Ray to quickly follow the DVD model anyway? New discs cost more, and then months later they can be had cheaply, all you gotta do it wait.

Price is still an issue stopping Blu-Ray - so this will help. Well... if they follow suit in Europe that is.

KR~!
07-18-2008, 12:26 PM
DVDs or Blu-Ray disc are not stock. Some people are amazing, they complain that Blu-Ray disc cost too much, and when they lower the prices, they complain that their disc are now not worth as much. You can't win with some people.

Reverenddave
07-18-2008, 01:20 PM
I'm saying, they should drop the price on the new releases. Don't release a disc at $30, then drop the price to $12 after six months. Why the hell would anyone buy a new release?

I'd much rather see them release the disc at $20, then drop the price to $15 after a year. When discs hold their value, you can take a chance buying something on impulse. If you don't want to keep it, you can easily recoup a good portion of your money.

I've bought many Blu-Rays and sold them off after watching them. In the end, it only cost me a couple bucks, and someone else got a like-new disc at a discount. Looks like that's coming to an end. I'll probably go back to renting.

maybrick
07-18-2008, 02:13 PM
I'm saying, they should drop the price on the new releases. Don't release a disc at $30, then drop the price to $12 after six months. Why the hell would anyone buy a new release?

I've come to that conclusion as well, and I only collect regular DVDs. I've learned my lesson from the quick turnover of The Godzilla, Amicus, and Naschy Collections into cheap box sets, not to mention that Target regularly has TV box sets marked down to $20. That's where I bought Season 1 of HEROES for $19 about 4 months after it's release. If I know that will happen, then why would I ever pay $40 (nevermind the srp of $60) on release date?

Max Yokell
07-18-2008, 03:02 PM
Honestly? Now that I've gone "hi-def" I can see why blu-ray and HD-DVD is failing to capture the interest of the mainstream. I like to think that I have a more discerning eye than most people, and yet the resolution I get from my meager 32-inch, 720p screen and standard DVD is more than satisfactory. WB lowering sale price is a sure sign of the law of supply vs. demand. Few people want it because few people are perfectionists. Blu-Ray is toast.

Not wanting to start a pissing contest but really on a 32" set which is quite small by todays standards you are not going to be seeing a huge night and day difference between DVD and Blu-Ray or HD-DVD or HD Formats sure there will be somethings you might notice improvement in but for the Most Part DVD on a 32" 720 is good enough.

Now I promise that if you had a 65" set you would start to really sit up and take notice, but if you really want the difference to show then get a projection system and try trowing up a 100"+ image.

One thing that you need to understand is that PJs are not just for the rich any more. Any fairly handy guy could buy a 720P DLP projector for under a grand and make his own screen or buy a cheap one and for less the cost of a new 65" set he will have a real movie experience.

Seriously though for the cost a good 65" HD 1080P set you could even be sporting a 100" 1080P image from a projector.

I will promise you that even on a 720 P projector the difference between DVD and Blu-Ray is huge. Even on my 720P 61 inch DLP set the difference is quite noticeable.

Big is not really huge in expense lately but it does like to be fed the good stuff, though I still do enjoy most of my DVDs on my upstairs PJ system, there are many that are so spoiled by the HD improvement they don't even enjoy DVDs any more.

Max

maybrick
07-18-2008, 03:19 PM
Now I promise that if you had a 65" set you would start to really sit up and take notice, but if you really want the difference to show then get a projection system and try trowing up a 100"+ image.

I completely understand that, but you're kind of missing my point. When you get to that size tv screen you're really only talking about a very small percentage of the market share, and the format will have a very hard time surviving in the long term with so few customers. Most people are never going to own anything larger than 42-47" and really, how many of us have enough wall space to support a 100" image? For the most part, 720p will be enough to "wow" most people, and any higher resolution will be a needless expense (especially in the current economy).

SEANVALEN
07-18-2008, 03:35 PM
I completely understand that, but you're kind of missing my point. When you get to that size tv screen you're really only talking about a very small percentage of the market share, and the format will have a very hard time surviving in the long term with so few customers. Most people are never going to own anything larger than 42-47" and really, how many of us have enough wall space to support a 100" image? For the most part, 720p will be enough to "wow" most people, and any higher resolution will be a needless expense (especially in the current economy).

Maybe it'll take a little longer, 11 years of dvds, dvds replaced vhs, I don't see hd dvd replacing dvds, they complement each other, yet you always got perfectionists wanting the good stuff, HD is a ninch market, there is demand, just not enough for us to expect dvd like prices.

Also blueray players have been slow to take storm due to HD players being so good and cheap, PS3 not everyone wants to buy, but blueplayers will get better, I'm thinking this fall, and Christmas, someone's going to make a kick ass cost effective blue ray player, and things will be better then now. I don't own blueray yet, I've got hdvds, I'm one of the waiters holding out, there's alot waiting just to get the right player when it comes out.

And of cource all those people who adopted HD-DVD and then saw it go must be worn out, and need time before they make the blue ray switch, there are customers like me who are just taking a break and looking at players and prices coming.

Matt89
07-18-2008, 04:52 PM
Not wanting to start a pissing contest but really on a 32" set which is quite small by todays standards you are not going to be seeing a huge night and day difference between DVD and Blu-Ray or HD-DVD or HD Formats sure there will be somethings you might notice improvement in but for the Most Part DVD on a 32" 720 is good enough.

Really? Because I have a 32" Sharp Aquos in my bedroom and the difference between standard DVD and blu-ray is phenomenal. I guess it also depends on your TV set. There's definitely a difference.

I tried to deny blu-ray for the longest time, saying it was a money-making gimmick but I have to say that blu-ray is the only home video format that is closest to that of the quality of actual film. It's not just sharpness. It's color reproduction, depth, sound. Go on DVDbeaver.com and check out the difference between the standard DVD of The Warriors and then check out the blu-ray. The difference is like night and day.

It'a great thing that Warner's decreasing their prices. I mean seriously, why complain? There are tons of DVDs I bought full price that are cheap as hell now. Remember when the Back to the Future trilogy came out? I bought it for $59.99. It's like $18.99 now. You learn to deal with it. Prices decrease over time.

I understand that many of you paid full price for these blu-rays (although they've always been relatively cheap on amazon.com) but be happy with the fact that they're making them cheaper. You can buy more of them now, they're affordable and you aren't spending huge amounts of money on replacing a single title. It's all about patience. I waited out for blu-ray to become less expensive (considering I drop enough money on DVDs as it is) and now that it is less expensive, I'm very happy I waited. Basically, if you have no patience to wait for prices to eventually drop, don't complain.

Oh and a tip: Avoid buying blu-rays at places like Best Buy. I don't think I've ever purchased a blu-ray in a store. They're SO much cheaper online. (As I'm sure many of you know this.)

Oh and a heads up: DeepDiscount has Anchor Bay blu-rays on sale. Halloween, Dawn of the Dead, etc are $11.98.

~Matt

X-human
07-18-2008, 05:35 PM

More like 2 years later, almost all of this stuff is first or second wave that came out 2006 and some have already been replaced by double dips. And the prices dropping to $11 are because of the rebates, which when they dry will go back to higher prices.

Hell I'm not even interested in the new prices because they're still more than what we were getting when Amazon combined the 10% discount with B1G1F sales.

People are bitching that prices are "too low" when just a year before they were praising prices that were even lower, often for the same exact releases. How quickly we forget.

Reverenddave
07-18-2008, 05:59 PM
More like 2 years later, almost all of this stuff is first or second wave that came out 2006 and some have already been replaced by double dips. And the prices dropping to $11 are because of the rebates, which when they dry will go back to higher prices.

Actually, some of the titles are very recent. Fool's Gold and 10,000 BC are both on the list, and they came out 2-3 weeks ago. They're dropping from $30 MSRP to $20 MSRP in September. Why buy a new release on street date when the price will drop 33% in 3 months?

Standard DVD is the same way. I've bought maybe a dozen DVD new releases on street date over the past 2-3 years.

It's been nice with HD discs. Throughout the past year I enjoyed getting new movies the week they came out. But if they're going to start dropping the prices after a few months, I'm not going to buy any more new releases.

Workshed
07-18-2008, 06:27 PM
I swear. I've read through this thread. But I couldn't tell you why posters are mad.

Cheaper DVDs, right?

I look forward to the price of players dropping too. I...think. :eek2:

maybrick
07-18-2008, 06:37 PM
Actually, some of the titles are very recent. Fool's Gold and 10,000 BC are both on the list, and they came out 2-3 weeks ago. They're dropping from $30 MSRP to $20 MSRP in September. Why buy a new release on street date when the price will drop 33% in 3 months?

As I said, fast price drops like that are a sure-fire sign of piss-poor sales. The studios aren't trying to do us any favors, so watch out. While there may be some hope that sales will turn around at Christmastime, my gut feeling is that such practices do not bode well for the format. If this keeps up for a few years more (possibly even sooner) studios will drop blu-ray altogether and stick with reg-def DVD. Remember, they're not aiming for another niche format like laserdisc was, they're looking to replace DVD with it, but if the masses won't bite, what will they do? Phase out DVD anyways and force us to upgrade? I guess I can see that happening.

(Btw, Workshed, I'm not mad. I'm just calling it as I see it.)

Workshed
07-18-2008, 06:42 PM

Stop yelling at me!

maybrick
07-18-2008, 06:43 PM
Boo.

KR~!
07-18-2008, 06:44 PM

Being skeptical is healthy but let's not get paranoid,

maybrick
07-18-2008, 06:53 PM
Being skeptical is healthy but let's not get paranoid,

How can anything I said be considered paranoid, I have to ask? When sales are bad, prices drop and when sales are horrible, prices drop even faster. It one of the most basic principles of economics.

Max Yokell
07-18-2008, 07:27 PM
Maybrick,

You should be able to see some differences even on a 42"-47" TV but in the last several years I think you will find it is very common to have a 55-65" HD set in a home's main TV area.

You also should note that have the wall space for a big screen is not a big deal with retractable screens.

You should also note that right now a Really good 47" Plasma set is over $2000 dollars yet you could do a DIY PJ setup and end up with anywhere from an 80"-110" for right around a $1000.

Lots of people I know actually have Plasmas on their wall for TV and a pull down screen for "Movies" with a PJ. All those home with extra bonus rooms above the garage and what not have perfect places for a PJ system.

As Matt pointed out he seems to have no problem seeing the difference on his 32" set.
As the set gets bigger so does the difference by the time you get into the above 50" sizes it become downright obvious even to a casual viewer.

BTW, No Anger here.

maybrick
07-18-2008, 07:50 PM
Maybrick,

You should be able to see some differences even on a 42"-47" TV but in the last several years I think you will find it is very common to have a 55-65" HD set in a home's main TV area.

You also should note that have the wall space for a big screen is not a big deal with retractable screens.

You should also note that right now a Really good 47" Plasma set is over $2000 dollars yet you could do a DIY PJ setup and end up with anywhere from an 80"-110" for right around a $1000.

Lots of people I know actually have Plasmas on their wall for TV and a pull down screen for "Movies" with a PJ. All those home with extra bonus rooms above the garage and what not have perfect places for a PJ system.

As Matt pointed out he seems to have no problem seeing the difference on his 32" set.
As the set gets bigger so does the difference by the time you get into the above 50" sizes it become downright obvious even to a casual viewer.

BTW, No Anger here.

But as I've been saying, all of that is beside the point I'm making. You're not telling me anything I don't already know regarding HD technology. You're discussing apples with me when I'm talking oranges. Obviously we hang in altogether different income brackets, but to this day I still only know slightly more than a handful of people that own an HD set and none of them are larger than 47".

Again, none of what you say is important to my argument. What is important is that in this world poor people severely outnumber rich people. Ergo, there's no way I'll ever believe that more people own 61" screens than they do 32". And since more people own smaller screens, more people aren't going to see as much of a need for blu-ray. And PJ setups are still within the domain of the hobby-ists. If they weren't they'd be readily available in every department store. If they are, then they've successfully escaped my attention.

Again no anger here, although your continuation to talk technical jargon to me when I'm discussing blu-ray from a sociological or business model perspective is, I'll admit, a bit frustrating. You're talking technology, but I'm talking people.

Max Yokell
07-18-2008, 08:15 PM
Maybrick,
PJs are being sold in many places like Best Buy and Circuit Shitty and in lots of places. I think we are actually talking about the same thing just from different viewpoints. I did not mean to sound like I was talking techie, I was just attempting to say that even people who are not rich are getting into larger screens TV sets and PJs.

Heck I know beer swilling varmints that have PJs setup in apts that would never been mistaken as even upper middle class.

I guess what I am trying to say if you don't have to have big bucks to go big and it is not uncommon for a couple of room mates to buy a PJ in an APt and play video games all the time.

My point was that big screens TVs or PJs are becoming more common even the common mans home.

Max

X-human
07-18-2008, 08:58 PM
Actually, some of the titles are very recent.

I'll refer you to what I said earlier:almost all

7dizbust
07-18-2008, 10:14 PM
Some cheap Blu Ray may be on the way:

CHINA BLU-RAY PLAYERS ARRIVE

Here are fresh images of a wave of new blu-ray players made by Chinese licensees. In May, 11 Chinese manufacturers were granted the licence to produce blu-ray players. Their low cost versions should be reaching retail by Christmas. First time brands Desay, Hotwell, Hualu and VTREK have all made blu-ray players. The players were introduced at the SinoCES show. Expect them to be priced to sell at US$199 or lower.

For $ingapore readers, it is unclear if low-priced brands like Akira and Shinco have the licence to manufacture blu-ray players.

For details on technical specs, follow this link http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/07/16/chinese-blu-ray-players-revealed-at-sinoces/

maybrick
07-18-2008, 10:22 PM
Maybrick,
PJs are being sold in many places like Best Buy and Circuit Shitty and in lots of places. I think we are actually talking about the same thing just from different viewpoints. I did not mean to sound like I was talking techie, I was just attempting to say that even people who are not rich are getting into larger screens TV sets and PJs.

Heck I know beer swilling varmints that have PJs setup in apts that would never been mistaken as even upper middle class.

I guess what I am trying to say if you don't have to have big bucks to go big and it is not uncommon for a couple of room mates to buy a PJ in an APt and play video games all the time.

My point was that big screens TVs or PJs are becoming more common even the common mans home.

Max

Best Buy and Circuit City are not department stores, they're specialty shops. When you see them for sale in Target, K-Mart, WalMart and the like, we'll know they've crossed over. They may be "more common" now, but all that means is that they're a larger niche market then they once were. Larger screen TVs may be cheaper, but so are smaller ones. Bigger doesn't always mean better, and for many of us a TV larger than 50" is just plain impractical. Medium sized TVs will always get the lion's share of the market and, as has been said before, 720p looks just great on them. If most people still believe that DVD looks great, then even fewer are going think that an upgrade is necessary.

Max Yokell
07-20-2008, 04:52 PM
You can find 65" sets in every one of those stores.

Max

maybrick
07-20-2008, 09:03 PM
You can find 65" sets in every one of those stores.

Max

Weren't we talking about Projectors capable of producing 100" screens?

Anyways, for the most part you're wrong. I just checked online and Walmart doesn't offer any TV larger than 52" and neither does K-Mart. K-Mart does sell a screen for a projector and one projector model for $1600. You'd be hard pressed to find it available without special order in any K-Mart store. You have better options with Target. They have a few 65" TVs and DLP projectors (and strangely a pre-owned 72" Toshiba), but they make it clear on their website that these are only available online and not in stores.

KR~!
07-20-2008, 09:16 PM
here is a good one: http://www.amazon.com/Marantz-VP-15S1L-LONG-THROW-Definition/dp/B001CWTL00/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=audio-video&qid=1216581371&sr=1-9

Shannafey
07-21-2008, 12:09 AM
Drop the price of the players!! I'm not paying $400 for one! I'll wait until they are under $200. Even then, I am quite happy with DVDs and I get most of them for under $10 and get free rentals at the library. Blu Ray isn't that enticing yet!!

KR~!
07-21-2008, 12:22 AM
PS3 will be dropping to $299 this fall for a limited time.