PDA

View Full Version : Any one getting Texas Chainsaw Massacre?

rp108
07-19-2008, 03:42 PM
I have been debating on this for awhile since the announcement. The DVD looks pretty damn good and considering it was shot on 16mm I am not sure what Blu-ray could do. I am actually worried it will look worse because the films grain will be much more apprarent unless the use DNR I suppose.

Reverenddave
07-19-2008, 03:46 PM
I'll get it. Even if it's just to support the release of films like TCM in high-def format. But I think it'll probably be worth the upgrade.

eric_angelus
07-19-2008, 04:43 PM
I will most likely pick it up. It is pre-ordering dirt cheap (under $10 at least one online retailer)....and I have bought it in so many forms already...whats one more gonna hurt?

rhett
07-19-2008, 04:52 PM
I have been debating on this for awhile since the announcement. The DVD looks pretty damn good and considering it was shot on 16mm I am not sure what Blu-ray could do. I am actually worried it will look worse because the films grain will be much more apprarent unless the use DNR I suppose.
Again, it's not what HD can do for the sharpness that's necessarily important here for these older releases - it's the color. Dark Sky's previous release was a beaut when it came to saturation, and I bet this Blu-ray transfer is going to be the benchmark when it comes to vintage horror on DVD.

KamuiX
07-19-2008, 10:04 PM
I have all 3 DVD releases, why would I skip this one? :p

fceurich39
07-19-2008, 11:26 PM
i may get it not sure yet though there is plenty of other releases that i want more that comes out in september and october

SaviniFan
07-20-2008, 12:58 AM
I'll be snatching this up on blu-ray. Just met Tobe Hooper today by the way. Very laid back and cool guy. Was a pleasure.

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/1738/picture037lz9.jpg

Jason25
07-20-2008, 02:11 AM
Definitely a purchase. I'm anxious to see how it looks in hi-def.

Shannafey
07-20-2008, 11:13 PM
Man, that last DVD release looks amazing. I actually wasn't going to waste the money and upgrade from my old Pioneer DVD, but I had the good fortune to find a used copy for $5, so I picked it up and can't believe how good it looks!

spawningblue
07-21-2008, 01:53 AM
Awesome movie. Will probably re-buy it. Hopefully it comes in a sweet metal case again!

Actually, has anyone noticed or been disappointed by the lack of sweet sets for Blu Ray. Is that what people want, plain small cases that look the same together. Personally I liked all the cool limited edition sets that I have on DVD, and have been disappointed that when I replace one on Blu Ray is is lacking the cool case. Not a huge deal but I hate the look of Blu Ray cases. They are cheaper and more flimsy then standard DVD cases, and the Blu casing takes up half the cover. Anyways, completely unrelated to Texas Chainsaw Massacre I guess, but anyone feel the same?

rp108
07-21-2008, 11:14 PM
I'll be snatching this up on blu-ray. Just met Tobe Hooper today by the way. Very laid back and cool guy. Was a pleasure.

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/1738/picture037lz9.jpg

Wow, very cool. Where did you meet him?

rp108
07-21-2008, 11:19 PM
I will most likely pick it up. It is pre-ordering dirt cheap (under $10 at least one online retailer)....and I have bought it in so many forms already...whats one more gonna hurt?

Where are you finding it for under $10???? I usually go to amazon and its listed there for $19.95. If I could pre-order it for $10 I wouldnt even think twice about it. :)

maybrick
07-21-2008, 11:21 PM
Awesome movie. Will probably re-buy it. Hopefully it comes in a sweet metal case again!

Actually, has anyone noticed or been disappointed by the lack of sweet sets for Blu Ray. Is that what people want, plain small cases that look the same together. Personally I liked all the cool limited edition sets that I have on DVD, and have been disappointed that when I replace one on Blu Ray is is lacking the cool case. Not a huge deal but I hate the look of Blu Ray cases. They are cheaper and more flimsy then standard DVD cases, and the Blu casing takes up half the cover. Anyways, completely unrelated to Texas Chainsaw Massacre I guess, but anyone feel the same?

I know I do, for one. The lousy cases are one of the reasons why I won't be upgrading to blu-ray unless forced.

SaviniFan
07-22-2008, 02:58 AM
Wow, very cool. Where did you meet him?

Met him at this past weekend's Motor City Nightmares convention. I had him autograph my TCM steelbook along with Caroline Williams on TCM 2 Gruesome Edition. Caroline was a real sweetheart and seemed genuinely excited to meet the fans.

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/1128/picture039um5.jpg

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/2700/picture065fo1.jpg

Max Yokell
07-22-2008, 02:10 PM
RP108,
A good HD transfer will usually look better then even the best of DVD transfers no matter the source material. It won't show extra grain over the DVD it will only have what was in the film to begin with. I don't have the new shinny version on DVD so I haven't seen that transfer but one of the things I have found, especially with a large screen (106") is that BLu (Or any good HD transfer) will capture the feel of the film better. Sure there are some things that can come off almost video like in HD but a good film should come off as being Filmlike.

I love the transfer for Army Of Darkness on HD-DVD because it feels like you are watching a film. One thing I have noticed is that movies that tend to be a bit on the grainy side actually look better in HD because the grain doesn't seem to creep and come alive as it sometimes does with DVDs because of the increased resolution.

The color palette in HD is way better as well.

To put it in a simple way, I have built a decent theater room and I have found that Blu (or HD-DVD) is able to do a much better job of recreating that movie theater experience especially on this type of movie.

Max

Grim
07-22-2008, 07:42 PM
You bet your sweet ass I am. Two reasons. 1. I'm sure it'll be an improvement over the previous release. 2. Anything to help raise blu-ray sales and encourage more genre releases.

rp108
07-23-2008, 03:29 AM
Met him at this past weekend's Motor City Nightmares convention. I had him autograph my TCM steelbook along with Caroline Williams on TCM 2 Gruesome Edition. Caroline was a real sweetheart and seemed genuinely excited to meet the fans.

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/1128/picture039um5.jpg

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/2700/picture065fo1.jpg

Man, that is really great! That must of been cool as hell meeting Caroline Williams. I have listened to the TCM 2 commentary and she sounds like she is really down to earth and very cool.

rp108
07-23-2008, 03:33 AM
RP108,
A good HD transfer will usually look better then even the best of DVD transfers no matter the source material. It won't show extra grain over the DVD it will only have what was in the film to begin with. I don't have the new shinny version on DVD so I haven't seen that transfer but one of the things I have found, especially with a large screen (106") is that BLu (Or any good HD transfer) will capture the feel of the film better. Sure there are some things that can come off almost video like in HD but a good film should come off as being Filmlike.

I love the transfer for Army Of Darkness on HD-DVD because it feels like you are watching a film. One thing I have noticed is that movies that tend to be a bit on the grainy side actually look better in HD because the grain doesn't seem to creep and come alive as it sometimes does with DVDs because of the increased resolution.

The color palette in HD is way better as well.

To put it in a simple way, I have built a decent theater room and I have found that Blu (or HD-DVD) is able to do a much better job of recreating that movie theater experience especially on this type of movie.

Max

Agree that Army Of Darkness looked amazing on HD DVD but I have to disagree that film grain is less noticable than DVD. I think what most people are considering "grain" on DVD is really compression issues. By the way, I am not one who wants every film to look the same in HD but I dont want another Blu-ray like Evil Dead 2.

It's me, Billy
09-13-2008, 09:05 AM
TCM on Blu-ray is already shipping at Tower.com. My copy shipped yesterday (Friday, Sept. 12th) via Next Day shipping. I was hoping the "Can't Hardly Wait" 10th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray and DVD would be shipping now too, but no suck luck. It's listed as pre-order and will most likely not ship until release date, Sept. 30th.

indiephantom
09-13-2008, 04:52 PM
I've only ever owned the original Pioneer DVD release, so this was an instant pre-order for me.

Matt89
09-13-2008, 06:27 PM

You shouldn't worry about the film being more grainy. Grain is something that is very natural to film. It CAN show more than the DVD, depending on how much the DVD was DNR'd. If grain bothers you THAT much, change the settings on your TV. I have a Sharp Aquos and I know I can set Digital Noise Reduction to Low, High and Off. I always have it off because grain ins't something that really bothers me. Film is naturally grainy and I think Texas Chainsaw Massacre will look the way it was always meant to look on blu-ray. It'll be pretty damn close to the look of its native 16mm, considering 1080p is quite close to the resolution of 16mm film.

~Matt

mmyersisgod
09-14-2008, 04:35 AM
I have it reserved.:)

The Chaostar
09-24-2008, 11:50 AM
Get the Blu-Ray.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews41/the_texas_chain_saw_massacre_blu-ray.htm

dwatts
09-24-2008, 03:13 PM
Well, that put a chainsaw through the naysayers.

fceurich39
09-24-2008, 03:28 PM
well i am sold i checked my best buy and they have 3 copies there getting in next week

Matt89
09-24-2008, 05:58 PM
Yeah I was looking at that review last night. Wow. The shot of Sally in the truck at the end. The depth. Compare it to rhett's screen grabs from the Dark Sky DVD. Huge improvement over the DVD. Definitely getting this on Tuesday.

And btw...check out DVDbeaver's review of the new blu-ray of The Thing. Holy Christ. That's another definite purchase on Tuesday. (These new releases need to stop!!! I'm running out of money!) :D

~Matt

Grim
09-24-2008, 08:20 PM
Wow those shots look great. Definitely getting this one on Tuesday.

Vlachio
09-25-2008, 01:09 AM
I liked this movie back when I bought it on MPI video. Sorry but I love the grain. All this OMG I can almost see her nipples poking through her shirt in HI DEF is rubbish. MEH!!!

dwatts
09-25-2008, 02:35 AM
What makes you think you won't be able to see the grain?

Matt89
09-25-2008, 04:06 AM
I liked this movie back when I bought it on MPI video. Sorry but I love the grain. All this OMG I can almost see her nipples poking through her shirt in HI DEF is rubbish. MEH!!!

You can see Marilyn Burns' nipples poking through her shirt even on the MPI VHS. The movie doesn't have to be in high def to see THOSE nipples, trust me. I'm pretty sure we ALL know she did the whole movie bra-less. :lol:

~Matt

Jason25
09-25-2008, 05:43 AM
Oh hell yes, looks amazing. Film and grain go together, it's what film is about. Poor transfers are another story but grain is nothing to be upset about. I could go into the technical details but why bother.

Oh well, some people can't be pleased or just don't understand about the whole process involved in creating films.

I can't wait to check this one out.

X-human
09-25-2008, 06:30 AM
I liked this movie back when I bought it on MPI video. Sorry but I love the grain.

Looking at the screen grabs on DVD Beaver there's still plenty of grain to go around; especially in shots with the sky. I'm always willing to go with however strong the source material is. But what Anchor Bay's done with the Evil Deads and grain removal is just wrong.

All this OMG I can almost see her nipples poking through her shirt in HI DEF is rubbish. MEH!!!

Hell yeah, enough with the pokies. I want it as originally conceived with her loosing her whole top during the chase scene. Why can't they use CGI to put that in? If Spielberg and take shotguns out, Hooper should be able to put boobies in... Or did you mean something else. :D

dwatts
09-25-2008, 11:18 AM
In the original cut Leatherface had huge manboobs, and they bounced up and down as he ran through the woods at the end. They were later covered up with CGI (done with pencils and crayons). I wish this footage had been reinstated. If I was making a low budget film, the first thing to go would be the budget womens clothes - they're not essential to the plot at all.

Grim
09-25-2008, 02:57 PM
Wouldn't a hi-def transfer show even more grain due to the increased clarity and resolution? Unless otherwise digitally removed. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Matt89
09-25-2008, 05:44 PM
Yup. But it's only showing what is natural to film. Remember, the resolution of film (35mm anyway) is still higher than 1080p. But since Texas Chainsaw Massacre was shot in 16mm, 1080p is pretty darn close to the resolution of 16mm film stock. It'll only be showing grain the way it looks on the film master they used.

Digital Noise Reduction (DNR) is yes, digitally removing grain. It makes movies look worse, IMO. Softens the image too much. The whole image looks un-lifelike and fake.

~Matt

X-human
09-25-2008, 05:55 PM
In the original cut Leatherface had huge manboobs, and they bounced up and down as he ran through the woods at the end. They were later covered up with CGI (done with pencils and crayons). I wish this footage had been reinstated.

Did computers with plotters draw on the prints?

If I was making a low budget film, the first thing to go would be the budget womens clothes - they're not essential to the plot at all.

They're essential to the plot when the women are fat, ugly or just plain old. Not that they'd make it to the screen anyways.

dwatts
09-25-2008, 06:04 PM
You're describing the monsters, we can just CGi them up.

X-human
09-25-2008, 09:18 PM
You're describing the monsters, we can just CGi them up.

Make the monsters as pretty as the girlies? Might as well just rent the all girl soft core spoof. It's just easier when Alternative Cinema does all the work for yah.

AndiOne
09-29-2008, 08:58 AM
I have order a copy of this masterpiece.
This is a movie I just can`t dubbel dip enough ;)

mmyersisgod
09-30-2008, 02:54 AM
I reserved it. I will be picking it up along with Iron Man, DOTD Remake, and Maybe Daredevil. All on Blu-ray.

fceurich39
12-30-2010, 09:48 PM
blu-ray now out of print was just at bestbuy and was only 10 bucks so i got an extra copy grab while u still can

CPT HOOK
12-30-2010, 11:29 PM
I own the special edition DVD from 2003. Never got around to upgrading to the blu-ray, but I thought about it.

I've had 2 years to get it, and never did. At this point, I think I'm just going to hold off. This is a pretty notable horror film, there have been 3 or 4 DVD releases, probably 5+ VHS releases, a laserdisc. I can't imagine it being out of print for long.

I might as well wait and see what the next edition has in store. Until then, my DVD will continue to hold me over.

springjack
12-30-2010, 11:40 PM
blu-ray now out of print was just at bestbuy and was only 10 bucks so i got an extra copy grab while u still can

I have the UK edition, far superior than the American one.

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/protectedimage.php?image=CoverArt/tcm_bd.jpg_19102009

Marshall Crist
12-30-2010, 11:53 PM
I have the UK edition, far superior than the American one.

This is the first time I have heard this opinion expressed. Please elaborate.

Horrorphilly
12-31-2010, 12:03 AM
I have that same disc but on dvd.What region is it?

seanI have the UK edition, far superior than the American one.

springjack
12-31-2010, 12:43 AM
This is the first time I have heard this opinion expressed. Please elaborate.

Same print from Dark Sky, but with better extras.
Also, I know the Dark Sky DVD had some sound effects missing from the original Mono-track, the 5.1 and 2.0 Surround tracks. I donīt know if this has been corrected on the Dark Sky Blu-Ray but I can confirm that it has been corrected on the UK DVD and Blu-Ray editions.

As for the extras...

- Commentary with Marilyn Burns, Paul A. Partain, Allen Danziger, Robert A. Burns, moderated by David Gregory.
- Commentary with Gunnar Hansen, Daniel Pearl, and Tobe Hooper
- "The Shocking Truth" documentary
- "Flesh Wounds: Seven Stories of the Saw" documentary
- "The Business of Chain Saw" Interview Ron Bozman"
- "Gunnar Hansen's Chain Saw House Tour" featurette
- Deleted Scenes, Alternate Footage & Outtakes
- "Shocking Truth Outtakes"
- "Tobe Hooper Interview"
- "Kim Henkel Interview"
- Trailers and TV spots
- Radio spots
- "Off the Hook" Interview with Teri McMinn"

The "Deleted Scenes, Alternate Footage & Outtakes" is about 3 minutes and itīs the "Blooper reel" on the Dark Sky DVD, but they are present in the UK 3 disk DVD edition.

What you gain in this UK Blu-Ray is "The Business of Chain Saw" Interview with Ron Bozman" (16:25), "Tobe Hooper Interview" (13:46) and "Kim Henkel Interview" (8:25).

You can see a review of the UK DVD. The put a comparison between the image of the UK DVD and the Dark Sky Blu-Ray and itīs almost identical, no kidding, see for yourself...

http://homecinema.thedigitalfix.co.uk/content.php?contentid=69116

Blu-Ray review...
http://www.myreviewer.com/The_Texas_Chain_Saw_Massacre_Blu-ray_Review/a123059/page2

I have that same disc but on dvd.What region is it?

I believe the DVD is region 2 and the Blu-Ray is region B.
Canīt confirm that...

fceurich39
12-31-2010, 12:59 AM
yep the sound effects were fixed for the blu from darksky i have both blu's not sure why but to me the picture quality on the darksky blu looks better for some odd reason since they are the same transfer

springjack
12-31-2010, 01:02 AM
yep the sound effects were fixed for the blu from darksky i have both blu's not sure why but to me the picture quality on the darksky blu looks better for some odd reason since they are the same transfer

Never saw the Dark Sky blu.
I read that the print was the same, but trust your analisys.

dickieduvet
12-31-2010, 01:31 AM
Here are the best comparison caps, UK has a better grain structure, Bit more DNR on the US by the look of it.

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/index.php?art=full&image=7&vergleich=texas_chain_saw_massacre_bd2&action=1&lossless=#vergleich

joltaddict
12-31-2010, 01:55 AM
there have been 3 or 4 DVD releases, probably 5+ VHS releases, a laserdisc. I can't imagine it being out of print for long.

Two LaserDiscs, actually, one from Wizard and a double disc from Elite.

Also a Beta tape from Media, a VHS from Media, an older VHS from Wizard, the original DVD release from Pioneer, the rereleased DVD from Pioneer, the 2 disc steelbook "Ultimate" DVD from Dark Sky, a 3 disk region 2 "Seriously Ultimate" British Steelbook DVD, a German 2 disk boxset packed with A Family Portrait, and at least 3 multidisc Japanese DVD sets, a Austrailan reg 4 (which has the coolest cover), the Blu American Dark Sky release and the "Seriously Ultimate" reg B Blu release.

And probabally an infinite number of japanese LDs and VHSs. I havent looked into those that much yet because the DVDs are pricey enough. The three disc set is about $80 american. Before shipping.

CPT HOOK
12-31-2010, 03:15 AM
^ Wow. Not sure if Dark Sky lost the rights or what, but I'd be willing to bet that some company will have it back in print by Halloween.

springjack
12-31-2010, 03:15 AM
The three disc set is about $80 american. Before shipping.

If youīre talking about the UK DVD, check the sellers on Amazon and you find it new for 5,60Ģ plus shipping.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Texas-Chain-Saw-Massacre-Seriously/dp/B001DN7IW6/ref=sr_1_3?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1293765205&sr=1-3

joltaddict
12-31-2010, 03:57 AM
No I already have that one Im talking about this japanese one...
http://ec3.images-amazon.com/images/I/510hIDW6O-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

joltaddict
12-31-2010, 04:00 AM
I also need to find the Wizard VHS.

Needless to say, Im happy another company will get a shot at this title. One more for the collection. :D

Erick H.
12-31-2010, 06:45 AM
Is there a direct link to Dark Sky's website anymore ? Every time I look all I can get is that press release for HATCHET 2.

joltaddict
01-09-2011, 02:08 AM
No I already have that one Im talking about this japanese one...
http://ec3.images-amazon.com/images/I/510hIDW6O-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I broke down and bought this. It was $109 american shipped.

After watching the third disc with the version that aired on Japanese TV Id say it was money well spent. Crazy dubbing odd musical cues. Just bizarre. It says its a 64 min cut but I couldnt see anything gone at all let alone 20mins worth. Im sure none of the violence was cut.

CPT HOOK
01-14-2011, 01:05 AM
I know I said I was going to hold off on the blu-ray and wait for the next release. But I lied.

I spotted the blu-ray for $9.99 today at F.Y.E. and decided to go for it. I figured the price was good and it is going out of print. Might as well get it while I still can, instead of possibly regretting it later.

joltaddict
01-14-2011, 01:59 AM
Anybody know anything about whos picking up the rights?