PDA

View Full Version : Carrie (1976) 10/07

Dust Bunny
07-24-2008, 09:01 AM
Amityville Horror (1979), Carrie (1976) and Young Frankenstein all due on Oct 7 http://www.releaselists.com/

I am going to pick up Carrie for sure (long as it has extras) as for Amityville I am happy with my 1-3 box for now.

SaviniFan
07-24-2008, 02:45 PM
Young Frankenstein is a Mel Brooks classic and since I don't own it on standard def I'll definitely buy. Carrie is top notch as well. I'll wait until I read a review on the blu-ray transfer before double dipping though.

X-human
07-24-2008, 05:48 PM
Young Frankenstein certainly, Carrie maybe. Good to see MGM back on the slate.

Ash28M
07-24-2008, 06:28 PM
I be getting Carrie for sure.

indiephantom
07-24-2008, 11:55 PM
As someone new to Blu...I'll be getting it too.

othervoice1
07-25-2008, 03:16 AM
Yea I think I will need to pick up Carrie on blu-ray - that is if the video is well done- some blu-rays that are released hardly are any different from the standard dvd so I usually check reviews before any blu-ray purchase

AndresG
07-25-2008, 07:02 AM
I'll definitely pick up Carrie and Amityville Horror on Blu-Ray, both flicks are personal favorites of mine :)

blu
07-26-2008, 04:18 PM
I'll be getting Carrie and Amityville Horror as well.

Matt89
08-08-2008, 05:14 PM
MGM Officially Announces Carrie & The Amityville Horror (http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=1627)

FUCK YOU MGM....FUCK YOU!

Honestly....25GB blu-ray discs with no special features!!!???? (I could honestly care less about The Amityville Horror) but CARRIE? COME ON! Aren't studios trying to PUSH blu-ray sales? But no, you have MGM releasing titles for TWICE the price of other studios who are putting out FULL FLEDGED special editions for HALF the goddamn price of this shit. Utterly dissapointing.

On a more positive note, Koch is releasing Black Christmas on blu-ray scheduled to release on November 14th. (yaay!)

~Matt

Ash28M
08-08-2008, 08:36 PM
MGM Officially Announces Carrie & The Amityville Horror (http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=1627)

FUCK YOU MGM....FUCK YOU!

Honestly....25GB blu-ray discs with no special features!!!???? (I could honestly care less about The Amityville Horror) but CARRIE? COME ON! Aren't studios trying to PUSH blu-ray sales? But no, you have MGM releasing titles for TWICE the price of other studios who are putting out FULL FLEDGED special editions for HALF the goddamn price of this shit. Utterly dissapointing.

On a more positive note, Koch is releasing Black Christmas on blu-ray scheduled to release on November 14th. (yaay!)

~Matt

Well to be fair it does say No special features have been announced at this time. That's not saying there won't be any.

rhett
08-08-2008, 08:42 PM
I do think the lack of extras on a format basically designed to support them is silly, but at the same time I don't really have any qualms about it - since I've already got them all on DVD, and really, don't have much desire to ever watch them again. I actually wouldn't be surprised if in this new format extras slowly fall by the wayside. Now the focus is on recreating the theater experience rather than the novelty of accessing supplements. With the window of theatrical films coming home ever decreasing, that means less time for supplements anyway.

X-human
08-08-2008, 09:28 PM
MGM's using Fox for distribution, which puts everything at $39.99 for the foreseeable future. I'll only buy Fox/MGM when they're on sale till they start matching other studio prices.

The Story of O (http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies.php?id=1166) too.

Ash28M
08-08-2008, 11:35 PM

~Matt

This will be intersting as they never got it to look very good on DVD. Unless they got a better print I don't know how it can benifit too much.

Spitfire
08-08-2008, 11:48 PM
http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/carrie.html

Cover artwork released.

Disc details are as followed:

* 1.85:1 Widescreen Transfer (1080p)
* Audio: English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
* Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Matt89
08-09-2008, 04:36 AM
Well to be fair it does say No special features have been announced at this time. That's not saying there won't be any.

http://dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=68498

"Priced at $39.98 SRP each, these horror classics arrive on barebones discs just in time for Halloween." :(

What pisses me off the most about not having special features is:
1. There's MORE fucking space on these discs! No longer is there any need for a 2-disc special edition.
2. When I replace a title I want to get rid of the old one. (i.e. if I replace a film on blu-ray, I don't wanna have the DVD sticking around anymore. Then you end up with multiple copies of the same film. It's a nuisance.)

~Matt

Matt89
08-09-2008, 04:37 AM
This will be intersting as they never got it to look very good on DVD. Unless they got a better print I don't know how it can benifit too much.

That's just the thing, though. Since it looks bad on DVD, the enhancement of blu-ray will make it look all the more better in high definition. Same thing goes for The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

~Matt

Reverenddave
08-17-2008, 07:51 PM
Movie-only discs for $40? Love the titles, but I'll pass on principle. Personally, I can care less about special features. But when they drop features AND price gouge, that's too much. I want to support blu-ray, but I'm giving my money to the studios that deserve it.

rp108
08-18-2008, 03:05 AM
I guess this will be using MPEG2 as well. I will definatley pass on this one.

dwatts
08-18-2008, 03:21 AM
I do think the lack of extras on a format basically designed to support them is silly

I'm not sure where you got this idea from. The format was devised to allow hi-def prints of films (and sound) to be sold, with little compression. It wasn't design to support extras. That there is more space for them is a byproduct.

rhett
08-18-2008, 03:52 AM
I'm not sure where you got this idea from. The format was devised to allow hi-def prints of films (and sound) to be sold, with little compression. It wasn't design to support extras. That there is more space for them is a byproduct.
I'm sure your wife has told you this in the past, but size isn't everything. The way the structure is designed to access menus on the fly and to easily incorporate picture in picture and the like certainly makes the medium more extra friendly than any other before it. The online jack built into these units now certainly isn't for the better of the picture or the sound, either.

spawningblue
08-19-2008, 02:43 AM

I see this reasoning all the time, and really don't understand it. Yes, Blu Ray was put out to deliver the best in sound and picture, but it was also put it to eventually replace DVD. Sadly, I don't see that happening anytime soon when companies are releasing these lazy discs sans extras. I have a Blu Ray player and will probably pick up Doomsday on DVD because the Blu Ray lacks the extra features. There's no reasons they can't throw in an extra disc and add the extra features, or use a 50gb disc as opposed to a 25gb disc, other then being cheap. You shouldn't have to own two copies of a movie, one for the picture and sound, and one for the extras! Superbit did that years ago, and failed. Blu Ray won't take over as long as they make people buy two copies of every movie.

dwatts
08-19-2008, 03:00 AM
I'm sure your wife has told you this in the past, but size isn't everything. The way the structure is designed to access menus on the fly and to easily incorporate picture in picture and the like certainly makes the medium more extra friendly than any other before it. The online jack built into these units now certainly isn't for the better of the picture or the sound, either.

It does all the things you suggest (well, will do eventually). But those features were added AFTERWARDS as the standards were developed - changed - proposed - developed - changed, etc. They weren't, as far as I'm aware, a driving force in the development from day one. In fact, given those things weren't in the initial specs speaks volumes about what was on the table when this technology was being put together.

But it's supposed to give us all those things in the current standard - but I've yet to see it.....

The weirdest thing I've seen with BR have been the needless multi-disc sets..... now that's strange. :D

boycrieswolf
08-20-2008, 11:53 PM

"Priced at $39.98 SRP each, these horror classics arrive on barebones discs just in time for Halloween." :(

1. There's MORE fucking space on these discs! No longer is there any need for a 2-disc special edition.
2. When I replace a title I want to get rid of the old one. (i.e. if I replace a film on blu-ray, I don't wanna have the DVD sticking around anymore. Then you end up with multiple copies of the same film. It's a nuisance.)

~Matt

What Matt said. This is precisely why I'm going to hold off on the Blu-ray craze...well, that and not being able to afford it right now honestly...and I have to say, what made me so excited for the advent of dvd WAS the special features for some of my favorite films!

Matt89
08-21-2008, 12:18 AM
The weirdest thing I've seen with BR have been the needless multi-disc sets..... now that's strange. :D

YEAH!! Wtf is up with that!? I was shocked to see that when I bought Blade Runner on blu ray, it too was a 5-disc set...just like its DVD counterpart! It seemed like such a waste of discs for it to have five. I mean they could've EASILY made it two. They could've fit all five versions of the movie on one disc, (seeing as how they were all branched anyway, except for the workprint) then the extra features on disc 2.

What bugs me even more (and I feel like an idiot because I said this too before I went blu-ray) are people who say things like, "well...that's not really a blu ray movie." Warner just announced a blu ray release of Casablanca. They're putting tons of effort into it, but just look at all the dumbass remarks on dvdactive.com. Saying all the extra stuff they're putting in is stupid, and how "black and white and fullscreen" aren't what blu-ray is for, and how color and widescreen are what it's for. Clearly these people completely missed the point of blu ray. It's NOT about making every movie look PRISTINE, it's about the ADDED RESOLUTION that it gives any film. It makes a film look as close to a film print as anything I've ever seen before. For colour films, it's about the added depth, resolution, proper color reproduction and for b&w films it's all those (minus the color) but it adds a great amount of shadow detail. I used to say things like "that's not really a blu ray movie" BEFORE I went blu-ray, and I honestly cannot believe how some people who went blu ray are STILL saying it now.

~Matt

Matt89
09-30-2008, 06:11 AM
Looks like axelmusic.com already has a scan of the back of the cover and well....at least we get the theatrical trailer...:confused:

http://www.axelmusic.com/resources/covers/back/883904123484.jpg

Well at least the movie's been remastered (considering it had to have been transferred from a new high definition master), since the last DVD was taken from the print used for the laserdisc.

~Matt

rhett
09-30-2008, 10:00 AM
Elm Street didn't even get that, so we're making progress, aren't we? :D

I'm still likely to make the plunge as this is one of my favorites. No rush for me though, since I watched it not too long ago.

Matt89
09-30-2008, 01:50 PM
I've honestly almost stopped caring about DVD special features. I've had this pre-ordered on amazon for about a month now. Carrie's the movie that got me into horror, so I owe it a lot. I have to get it lol. Plus I really wanna see how much better the movie looks since they've put some remastering into it. The movie in high definition, isn't that what high-def is all about? :)

~Matt

thrashard76
09-30-2008, 05:19 PM
They're all going to laugh at...

spawningblue
09-30-2008, 06:21 PM

~Matt

I've honestly almost stopped caring about DVD special features. I've had this pre-ordered on amazon for about a month now. Carrie's the movie that got me into horror, so I owe it a lot. I have to get it lol. Plus I really wanna see how much better the movie looks since they've put some remastering into it. The movie in high definition, isn't that what high-def is all about? :)

~Matt

Umm... okay. haha you totally changed your stance. Everyone buying these lazy releases are the reason companies aren't putting any effort in their Blu Ray releases and are making you own two copies of the same movie. I'm sure a double dip is inevitable, triple dip I guess if you already owned the DVD so I guess if you have the extra money to waste then why not. i personally am not rich though, and wait until they do it right.

I do think the lack of extras on a format basically designed to support them is silly, but at the same time I don't really have any qualms about it - since I've already got them all on DVD, and really, don't have much desire to ever watch them again. I actually wouldn't be surprised if in this new format extras slowly fall by the wayside. Now the focus is on recreating the theater experience rather than the novelty of accessing supplements. With the window of theatrical films coming home ever decreasing, that means less time for supplements anyway.

I disagree, and don't see that happening anytime soon. If you don't care about the extras then why not just download the movie. I'm guessing as long as the picture and sound are good you don't care if you even have a case for it either. And lots of people care about DVD extras, probably more so then people that own huge Hi Def TV's and Hi Def surround systems. That's why they release two versions of popular movies. And 90% of the time the 2 disc edition sells more then the 1 disc bare bones edition. If people didn't care and they weren't selling, then they would have stopped doing 2 disc sets a long time ago. The only time the bare bones editions sell more is usually with kids titles as they don't know any better.

Blu Ray enthusiasts are the ones that are going to be the fall of Blu Ray discs. Because they encourage companies to put out lazy discs as long as the picture is okay. To the average customer, when they are upgrading, they want to see the new product be better in every way, but with Blu Ray that is rarely the case. Other then picture and sometimes sound being better (Though not always the case, check out the Interview with the Vampire Blu Ray, only has 5.1 surround while the DVD has DTS), usually the old DVD's trump them as overall packages.

It just really annoys the hell out of me, as when I got into Blu Ray I expected to be able to replace all my DVD's, but that is just not the case. I either have to keep my DVD around and own two copies of every movie (Which isn't a big deal now, but when you have 200 movies twice, it adds up!), or I have to hold out and hope they double dip, or just buy the DVD. Personally I'd rather have Carrie with good picture and sound and great extras, then Carrie with great picture and sound, and 0 extras. To each his own though. But I think these lazy releases are really holding a lot of people back, more then you would think.

You can't just tease people with extravagant DVD sets, and then take it all back, and say pay twice the amount for good picture and sound, but forget extras ever existed. It's like we are going back, rather then forward. Don't get me wrong, I agree the picture and sound should be the most important part, but extras should not be ignored either. Especially when they already exist on the DVDs! So it would take next to no effort for them to just throw them on the Blu Ray, and also next to no room. I don't care if they are Hi Def, but just include them.

spawningblue
09-30-2008, 06:27 PM
Look at Superbit releases. What sold more the Superbit release sans extras, or the 2 disc Special Edition? Not even a comparison. I'm telling you, this is going to keep Blu Ray from totally taking over.

Matt89
09-30-2008, 06:35 PM
Umm... okay. haha you totally changed your stance. Everyone buying these lazy releases are the reason companies aren't putting any effort in their Blu Ray releases and are making you own two copies of the same movie. I'm sure a double dip is inevitable, triple dip I guess if you already owned the DVD so I guess if you have the extra money to waste then why not. i personally am not rich though, and wait until they do it right.

LOL yeah I guess I didn't mention it in this thread, but I had mentioned it in another one my reasons for my change of stance. The extras on the Carrie DVD were nothing special anyway but Carrie was a movie that was in some dire need of remastering. Yeah, I bought it.....WHAT!? :D

~Matt

spawningblue
09-30-2008, 07:04 PM
LOL yeah I guess I didn't mention it in this thread, but I had mentioned it in another one my reasons for my change of stance. The extras on the Carrie DVD were nothing special anyway but Carrie was a movie that was in some dire need of remastering. Yeah, I bought it.....WHAT!? :D

~Matt

I understand. If it's one of your favourite movies then you got to have it! But I worry that if this trend keeps up and companies realize they can get away with releasing bare bone releases for high prices, then it will become the norm., and you won't see time and effort being put into movie like Blade Runner. Personally I see Blu Ray failing before this happens, as people will just take the cheap DVD over the bare bones Blu Ray. I know I will be for the Doomsday release, and I doubt I am the only one. As much as I was looking forward to The Thing Blu Ray, I will hold out until they do the release justice.

Matt89
09-30-2008, 07:24 PM
I understand. If it's one of your favourite movies then you got to have it! But I worry that if this trend keeps up and companies realize they can get away with releasing bare bone releases for high prices, then it will become the norm., and you won't see time and effort being put into movie like Blade Runner. Personally I see Blu Ray failing before this happens, as people will just take the cheap DVD over the bare bones Blu Ray. I know I will be for the Doomsday release, and I doubt I am the only one. As much as I was looking forward to The Thing Blu Ray, I will hold out until they do the release justice.

Wow I just saw that. Was checking a review of The Thing...what a kick in the nuts. Audio/video is stellar, though. What's weird, though is that the HD-DVD had all the extras that the DVD did. And considering they went all out on The Mummy...that there doesn't make sense to me.

~Matt

Matt89
09-30-2008, 07:28 PM
However, it DOES include BD-Live, which pretty much makes up for it.

*EDIT: I mean, sorry. U-Control, which does include behind-the-scenes footage and extra interviews.

~Matt

Matt89
10-03-2008, 12:42 AM
Review's up!!!!! :D

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews42/carrie_blu-ray.htm

~Matt

Ash28M
10-03-2008, 05:38 AM
Review's up!!!!! :D

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews42/carrie_blu-ray.htm

~Matt

Thanks and the review is positive. I'm sold.

Matt89
10-03-2008, 05:42 AM
Guessing this is one of your favs too, eh Ash? (Judging by your display pic.)

Carrie, The Shining, Poltergeist and Halloween...first 4 horror films I ever saw. They're now all out on blu-ray (Poltergeist is the 14th). I'm happy now.

~Matt

Ash28M
10-03-2008, 02:23 PM
Guessing this is one of your favs too, eh Ash? (Judging by your display pic.)

Carrie, The Shining, Poltergeist and Halloween...first 4 horror films I ever saw. They're now all out on blu-ray (Poltergeist is the 14th). I'm happy now.

~Matt

Oh yeah, it IS my fav. I'm definitely going to replace at least my top 10 or 20 when they get release on Hi-Def. I don't think Carrie will every look that good though.

Grim
10-10-2008, 01:41 AM
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1681/carrie1976.html

Review says the transfer is so-so, but still an improvement over past releases. I think I'll wait until this one is a lot cheaper or if Amazon has a two for one or something.

Matt89
10-10-2008, 03:37 AM
I dunno, that guy's review is kindof weird. He says shit like, "well Carrie will never look that great anyway." yet still gives it a 2.5? Weird. Then he goes on about the audio and how Carrie's soundtrack isn't of much benefit from the upgrade to high-red audio. For what it is, Carrie looks great. Definitely the best the movie has ever looked and a good deal better than the previous DVD versions. I don't particularly like the reviewer's take on the whole thing. Just because a movie is released in HD, it doesn't mean that it will look completely pristine. Sometimes it's just the added resolution and proper color timing that can make all the difference. For what MGM's done with the transfer, given the elements, the movie looks great. I'd give it about a 4/5.

~Matt

Grim
10-10-2008, 03:46 AM
I dunno, that guy's review is kindof weird. He says shit like, "well Carrie will never look that great anyway." yet still gives it a 2.5? Weird. Then he goes on about the audio and how Carrie's soundtrack isn't of much benefit from the upgrade to high-red audio. For what it is, Carrie looks great. Definitely the best the movie has ever looked and a good deal better than the previous DVD versions. I don't particularly like the reviewer's take on the whole thing. Just because a movie is released in HD, it doesn't mean that it will look completely pristine. Sometimes it's just the added resolution and proper color timing that can make all the difference. For what MGM's done with the transfer, given the elements, the movie looks great. I'd give it about a 4/5.

~Matt

Yeah I always take their reviews with a grain of salt. I'm still going to wait for an Amazon sale or deal, though, as paying nearly $30 for a barebones disc of a film that is over 30 years old is just kinda absurd. Unless it's RoboCop. I had to have RoboCop.

Matt89
10-10-2008, 03:54 AM
Yeah I always take their reviews with a grain of salt. I'm still going to wait for an Amazon sale or deal, though, as paying nearly $30 for a barebones disc of a film that is over 30 years old is just kinda absurd. Unless it's RoboCop. I had to have RoboCop.

Yeah I can understand that. And LOL, I'm the way with Carrie the way you are with RoboCop. :D I just had to have it.

~Matt

SaviniFan
10-10-2008, 04:18 AM
I think Carrie is a mighty fine piece of film but there is no way I'm paying the current price for something so bare bones. I'll wait for a price drop or until a proper release. I care most about the transfer quality but not at an msrp of $39.99!

othervoice1
10-10-2008, 05:05 AM
Wait a little while and I bet youll be able to find it new somewhere for probably around 15.00-17.00 and used for somewhere around 10.00-14.00 - i always watch for sales and coupon codes and stuff and usually get great deals on blu ray movies

Reverenddave
10-10-2008, 06:19 AM
I dunno, that guy's review is kind of weird. He says shit like, "well Carrie will never look that great anyway." yet still gives it a 2.5? Weird.

It's kinda hard to take Peter Bracke's reviews too seriously. He pitched a fit over the Halloween Blu-Ray. Gave it a 1.5 for video, which is probably the worst video rating I've seen in all the High-Def Digest reviews. That's the worst Blu-Ray transfer? Whatever.

Matt89
10-10-2008, 06:31 AM
It's kinda hard to take Peter Bracke's reviews too seriously. He pitched a fit over the Halloween Blu-Ray. Gave it a 1.5 for video, which is probably the worst video rating I've seen in all the High-Def Digest reviews. That's the worst Blu-Ray transfer? Whatever.

He was probably pissed about the "tweaked" transfer. When you think of it, it was "tweaked" to look so blue/orange, so Anchor Bay restored the movie to what it originally looked like. Obviously a different print was used on the 2007 BD and the 1999 DVD. (Although that still doesn't warrant a 1.5). I dunno, I didn't really like the bluish/orangey look the movie had. The blu-ray is kindof a cross between the blue/orangey transfer and the 25th Anniversary release. I think it's perfectly fitting. It looks a lot more natural. The blueness always looked a bit too fake and unrealistic. Moonlight isn't THAT blue. The BD of Halloween is fucking beautiful. The best the movie's ever looked in terms of sharpness, clarity AND color.

~Matt

Matt89
10-10-2008, 06:37 AM
And I've been going over some of Bracke's reviews. He always seems to rate film grain as a negative aspect of a transfer. (Which it isn't!) He seems very pro-DNR. Meh, I'm not gonna take his reviews so seriously. Seems that him and I have quite different viewpoints on what does and doesn't make a good transfer.

~Matt

indiephantom
10-10-2008, 07:31 AM
I think Carrie is a mighty fine piece of film but there is no way I'm paying the current price for something so bare bones. I'll wait for a price drop or until a proper release. I care most about the transfer quality but not at an msrp of $39.99!

I agree. I saw a copy at my local store for that exact price. Will wait for a sale eventually. Might do the same with Poltergeist, but I don't think it will be as high.

Grim
04-02-2009, 04:40 PM
The Carrie blu-ray is down to $15.99 on Amazon. Almost at a price that I'd buy it at. I knew it would come down eventually.

Matt89
04-02-2009, 04:43 PM
LOL I shouldn't have caved and bought this. I paid like $27.99 for it when it first came out. But nice to see blu-ray prices dropping, though. MGM dropped the price on The Silence of the Lambs to $15.99 as well.

~Matt

Grim
05-12-2009, 06:15 PM
I finally found Carrie on blu-ray for a price I thought was acceptable. $1.99.

Allow me to explain. I went to Best Buy today with $15 in rewardzone certificates with the intention of buying The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly on blu-ray, which was released today. Should've known, though, that the asshats weren't getting any in, but they had a crap ton of other catalog titles on sale for $16.99, so I decided to get Carrie. Almost bought Lethal Weapon as well, but seeing as that disc is always cheap, and it's not the director's cut, I decided to wait.

Can't wait to pop her in tonight see if I got my $1.99's worth. :lol:

Matt89
05-12-2009, 08:31 PM
At first glance the movie doesn't look very good. But seriously, compare it with the Special Edition...there's a HUGE difference. It's properly framed, colors are better, the image is smoother, print damage is gone. Shit, Carrie looks fantastic on blu.

I mean it'll always look rather soft. Carrie was one of those '70s movies shot with a diffusion lens, so you get these blown-out whites and faded colors. (But you probably already know this ;))

I paid like $34.99 for it on the day of release, and hell I think it's worth it. LOL mainly because Carrie's my favorite horror film (and definitely one of my fav movies of all-time - it's a masterpiece) but $1.99? Haha you DEFINITELY got your money's worth with this one.

~Matt