PDA

View Full Version : What kind of release would you prefer?

rhett
07-27-2008, 09:11 PM
The market is changing in this late phase of DVD - what are the kind of discs you usually pick up?

onebyone
07-27-2008, 09:21 PM
DVD release of a previously unreleased title, duh. I will take a no frills release of Night of the Creeps over say a Special Edition of Fright Night (and I want that too) any day of the week.

dwatts
07-27-2008, 09:31 PM
I went with "DVD release of a previously unreleased title".

I really want Blu-Ray releases, but prices of discs in Europe has yet to get down to the levels seen in the US, and without that I'm sticking with DVD.

The Chaostar
07-27-2008, 09:34 PM
Just bought Criterion's Vampyr & Trafic so...
I'm sure there will be a BR release, but I just couldn't wait.

But I will, from now on...

Katatonia
07-27-2008, 09:50 PM
DVD release of a previously unreleased title.

There are still plenty of films that have never been released to DVD in any region that I's still waiting for...

maskull
07-27-2008, 10:57 PM
DVD release of a previously unreleased title

so many movies that still need a release. plus if I already own the movie chances are I'm not buying it again unless it's truly a spectacular upgrade.

Mortis
07-28-2008, 12:14 AM
Night of the Creeps, please. Preferably with the extras.

DrHerbertWest
07-28-2008, 12:51 AM

Lots of cult things (Howard The Duck, Purple People Eater, Night of The Creeps) that I feel I need in my collection ASAP.

I do also enjoy special edition releases of movies that weren't treated so great originally (Child's Play and Pumpkinhead, for instance).

zompirejoe
07-28-2008, 03:22 AM
There are so many great films and television shows that have yet to be released on dvd, so I went with dvd release of previously unreleased title. I'm not double dipping anymore, unless the new release has super spectacular content. Blu Ray is great, but way too expensive right now. If BR discs would come down to regular dvd prices I would buy only BR discs. Until then dvd is still on top for me.

indiephantom
07-28-2008, 03:29 AM
Just recently jumped on the blu-ray train. No goin' back. It's an INCREDIBLE format.

bwana the clown
07-28-2008, 07:57 AM
DVD of previously unreleased title. In absolutely no rush to go Blu-Ray (and may very well skip the format altogether as long as DVDs are produced!)

indiephantom
07-28-2008, 09:11 AM
DVD of previously unreleased title. In absolutely no rush to go Blu-Ray (and may very well skip the format altogether as long as DVDs are produced!)

Dude, I said the same thing and then I got a serious case of the blu's. ;)

satans-sadists
07-28-2008, 04:35 PM

Debuts of older cult titles excite me the most. They're becoming less and less common these days. I prefer supporting the few studios that are giving us these releases. A while ago we compiled a list of films most deserving of a dvd release. Many are long overdue and would easily turn a profit for the releasing studio.

KR~!
07-28-2008, 05:17 PM
DVD special edition of a previously released title

I will never double dip on a DVD again.

Might be worth getting if the odds of a blu-ray are very slim

Blu-ray release of a previously released DVD

worth the double dip every time

Fumi
07-28-2008, 08:27 PM
DVD release of a previously unreleased title. So much obscure stuff out there, and I'm a fan of a lot of the new straight-to-DVD horror stuff as well. I've never been the type of person to shell out money for a movie I already have, just don't care. I buy the DVD to see the movie, not the special features or a better aspect ratio or the 2 extra minutes that were edited out for good reason.

Blu-Ray is still a ways off for me. The whole hi-def thing is beyond my price range. If it ever truly replaces DVD, we'll see. If they're going to do this every few years, just when they start coming out will all my favorites on one format - wait! - now you have to replace your whole collection with this new format! Fuck it. I'm perfectly happy with my DVD's, and I doubt we'll ever see (nor would there be any point in having) a lot of my zero-budget favorites on Blu-Ray anyway.

KR~!
07-28-2008, 09:49 PM
If they're going to do this every few years

DVD was 1st release in 1995, how is that every "few" years? :rolleyes:

Mutilated Prey
07-29-2008, 03:06 AM
DVD of previously unreleased title.

There's way too many movies out there that deserve a proper DVD release and will probably never make it to Blu-ray anyway. Think of all the movies we've itched for over the years for a DVD release - some make it and some don't, and I guarantee most of those that did make it will not get Blu-Ray too.

Fumi
07-29-2008, 02:24 PM
DVD was 1st release in 1995, how is that every "few" years? :rolleyes:

Whatever dude. Like about 99.9% of people, I didn't buy a DVD player the day they first hit the market. It actually took until June of 2003 before DVD rentals exceeded VHS rentals.

Sorry if that ticks you off.

thrashard76
07-30-2008, 04:29 AM

AndresG
07-30-2008, 06:05 AM
DVD release of a previously unreleased title, there's tons of obscure vhs titles that I'd love to see properly released on DVD format.

vampyr789
07-30-2008, 10:45 PM
DVD release of a previously unreleased title for me, i can think of few not on DVD...

Night of the Creeps
The Town that Dreaded Sundown
The Stepfather
New Year's Evil
Dark Night of the Scarecrow
Curtains

BrianR1982
08-01-2008, 09:26 PM
DVD release of a previously unreleased title, definitely. I'm not even upgrading to the blu-ray technology.

Harry Warden
08-06-2008, 12:00 AM
DVD release of a previously unreleased title for me, i can think of few not on DVD...

Night of the Creeps
The Town that Dreaded Sundown
The Stepfather
New Year's Evil
Dark Night of the Scarecrow
Curtains

I'm with you vampyr789 - I would buy all six of these if they were released. I don't buy too many titles that I already have unless a new special edition is released that greatly improves on the original release.

Mark Relford
08-06-2008, 12:32 AM
Option #2 for me. The DVD well for unreleased titles hasn't dried up yet. I don't care about blu right now. Money's tight and I'm fuckin' stubborn.

Blackheart
08-06-2008, 02:30 PM
Option #3, for sure.

And that's where a company like Code Red is a godsend - they're releasing movies I thought I might not ever be able to purchase. And really, who doesn't want The Town That Dreaded Sundown or Curtains on DVD?