PDA

View Full Version : Where are all the extras on Blu Ray?

spawningblue
07-28-2008, 12:06 AM
I started a similar thread on Blu Ray.com, and now I'm curious to hear from horror fans on here. I know a lot of people haven't jumped into Blu Ray yet, but I'm sure some of you will still have opinions on the issue. And since I check this site out a hell of a lot more, I figure I would keep the list updated easier on here. Anyways, the issue...

I am a completest. On DVD I would always search out and find the best edition of a movie. Sometimes I would own two copies of a movie to have the complete package.

I recently started buying Blu Ray movies, hoping that I would be able to replace most if not all of my DVDs, and have been startled to find that Blu Ray surpasses DVDs with picture and sound, but when it comes to the extras department, they usually don't even compare! So now to have everything I can't sell off my old DVDs, and instead am going to have to have two copies of every movie. The Blu Ray for the video and the audio, and the DVD for the extras. Doesn't make sense to me, as most of the extras missing probably take up next to no space at all!

MISSING DVD EXTRAS

*I am leaving off the discs that have been released bare bones as I'm sure they will be double dipped. I'm more concerned with the discs that are missing a few extras here and there, and will probably not be re-released.

Day of the Dead

Still Galleries

Die Hard

Extended Power Shutdown" Deleted Scene (This was also offered branched back into the film)
The Vault - Outtakes, Deleted Scenes, ect.
Magazine Articles
The Cutting Room - Allows you to cut and edit various scenes together
Audio Mixing - Switch between the different audio channels for a scene
Multi Camera Shooting - Switch between different angles for various scenes
The Script
Promotional Featurette

Die Hard 2: Die Harder

Visual Effects Breakdown
Storyboard to Film Comparison
TV Featurette

Die Hard With a Vengeance

3 Effects Featurettes (Opening Explosion, Subway Derailment, Cab Ride)

Doomsday

Theatrical Cut of Film
Anatomy of Catastrophe: Civilization on the Brink
The Visual Effects and Wizardry of Doomsday
Devices of Death: Guns, Gadgets and Vehicles of Destruction

*NOTE some of the footage from the three featurettes are included in the Picture in Picture, but not all from what I've heard. Cannot be watched edited together or fullscreen, as the Picture in Picture shows it in the corner of the screen.

Evil Dead 2

Still Gallery

Halloween

"Halloween: 'On Location' - Twenty-Five Years Later" Featurette
Still Gallery (Publicity, Behind the Scenes, Posters)
Re-Released Trailer
"Halloween Unmasked" Featurette
TV Version
"About TV Version" text

Hellboy

Video Commentary with Ron Perlman, Selma Blair, Rupert Evans, and Jeffrey Tambor
Commentary from Composer Marco Beltrami
Q & A session with director Del Toro, artist/producer Mike Mignola and actor Ron Pearlman
Branching DVD Comics
Storyboard Track
Storyboard to Scene Comparisons
Animatics
Still Galleries

Identity

Missing Alternate Ending

Layer Cake

Still Gallery
Storyboards
Music Video

Live Free or Die Hard

Unrated Cut

Mission Impossible 2

MTV Parody w/ Ben Stiller

The Mummy

Goldsmith's isolated score
Production notes
Egyptology 101
Pharaoh Lineage
Teaser and Trailer for The Mummy

Mummy Returns

Egyptology 201
Trailer

Rambo Box Set

Rambo 3 Deleted Scenes
The Real Nam: Voices from Within documentary
Guts and Glory documentary
The Forging of Heroes: America's Green Berets featurette
Rambo-nomics featurette
Selling a Hero featurette
Suiting Up featurette
An American Hero's Journey: The Rambo Trilogy documentary

The Rock

Stills Archive (Storyboards, Production Design, Production)

Rudy

Isolated Score
Trailers

Scorpion King

"Spotlight on Location: The Making of The Scorpion King" Featurette
"Ancient World Production Design" Featurette
"Preparing the Fight" Featurette
"The Rock and Michael Clarke Duncan" Featurette
"Working with Animals" Featurette
"The Special Effects" Featurette
"King Scorpion" Featurette
Alternate Scenes
Music Video
Production Notes
Trailer

*NOTE like the Doomsday disc some of the extras are included in the Picture in Picture, but they cannot be watched edited together filling the screen.

Starship Troopers

Isolated Score with Commentary by Composer Basil Poledouris
Storyboard Comparisons
Theatrical Trailer
Conceptual Art Gallery

Top Gun

Photography Gallery

spawningblue
07-28-2008, 12:14 AM
Has anybody noticed that Blu Ray hates Photo Galleries?

Also, not a extras related issue, but another thing that bugs me about the "future, supposed to take over DVD" format is their lazy cases. Gone are the cool steel cases, included busts, or anything else that makes the movies stand out. Instead they come in a boring, cheaply made blue case, that just looks ugly with certain covers, and in some instances takes up half the cover. I know some people want just plain cases that don't take up too much room and blend in nicely together, but it would be nice if they offered the super special edition sets for the hardcore fans as well.

Grim
07-28-2008, 12:14 AM
For me, the optimal presentation of the main feature is the most important factor and I will gladly buy a barebones blu-ray over its features-laden DVD counterpart. Also, if I already had it on DVD, that makes the decision even easier as I don't really look at special features more than once, save for some really good docs, deleted scenes, and commentaries. Like I did compare the features on the DVD set of Day of the Dead and the blu-ray and I saw that the still gallery was the only thing missing. No big loss for me. I haven't looked at them since I got the DVD back in 03.

dwatts
07-28-2008, 12:22 AM
Has anybody noticed that Blu Ray hates Photo Galleries?

Call me Blu-Ray, I find them extremely boring and rather useless.

Early DVD's didn't have a lot of features either. They can sell the format on quality right now, over time that'll change, and more features will come out.

spawningblue
07-28-2008, 12:28 AM
Yeah but why can't it have both!? Why is Blu Ray so afraid of doing two disc sets? Blu Ray should be better then DVD in every way, not just video and audio. It's sad when a DVD released 5 years ago has more extras then a current Blu Ray, especially with the amount they charge for them. DVD was a huge upgrade over VHS not just because of the video and audio, but also because of the cool menus and extras. It was a huge step up in every way. It's a shame that Blu Ray isn't doing the same thing, and instead is in some ways a step down from what we've had. It's jsut laziness if you ask me.

spawningblue
07-28-2008, 12:32 AM

Early DVD's didn't have a lot of features either. They can sell the format on quality right now, over time that'll change, and more features will come out.

Oh I know a lot of Blu Ray's will be double dipped. All the Fox releases that were released bare bones are a sure thing. But do you really think they'll re-release a movie to add the photo galleries.

And yes, some photo galleries are boring, but the ones with vintage behind the scenes shots, make up effects, original marketing (ie. posters, postcards, ect.) were really cool.

I just don't understand why they wouldn't include them as I'm sure they take up next to no space, and they already had them on the DVD so it wouldn't take much time to quickly throw them on.

SaviniFan
07-28-2008, 02:19 AM
I rarely watch extras myself. I kind of enjoy knowing that if I so desire that the option is there, but the video/audio quality is what interests me the most.

rijir
07-28-2008, 03:29 AM

And that is the plan. Keep releasing them for years to come each time adding more features and extras to rape our pockets.

It will never change.

I doubt I will convert to blu-ray for years. I see no need. My DVDs look fantastic on my LCD via HDMI cable.

booper71
07-28-2008, 04:24 AM
bluray best deliver on that internet connectivity promise they promoted.

dwatts
07-28-2008, 10:20 AM
bluray best deliver on that internet connectivity promise they promoted.

Actually that worries me a bit. What's the stop them putting the extras online, and not on the discs? Then when they feel like it - pull the extras entirely?

Nah. PUT THEM ON THE DISCS.