PDA

View Full Version : "You're all Doomed!" Contest

rhett
07-29-2008, 08:46 PM
It's been awhile since our last contest, but courtesy of Universal we've got five copies of Neil Marshall's DOOMSDAY to give away. Since the film liberally takes from a variety of sources without shame, from ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK to MAD MAX, I figured this giveaway should be fitting. All you need to tell us is which post-apocalyptic film does it best!

Simply post in this thread with your favorite apocalyptic film, whether it's from NEW YORK, the sleazy streets of Italy or somewhere else entirely, and tell us why. Everyone who posts in this thread will be entered into the contest, and on Sunday, August 1st, 6 winners will be chosen at random.

http://horrordvds.com/vb3forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4924&stc=1&d=1217357083

DOOMSDAY (HorrorDVDs review here (http://horrordvds.com/viewarticle.php?articleid=678)) comes out today, but if you're prepared to wait a few days, it could be yours for free.

So now, what's your favorite apocalyptic film, and why?

rhett
07-29-2008, 08:54 PM
Don't know where to start? Here's a list of post-apocalyptic films over the years. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_apocalyptic_and_post-apocalyptic_fiction#Films)

Max Yokell
07-29-2008, 09:24 PM
I am going to go with 12 Monkeys.

It was good solid performances from Willis and Stowe with Brad Pitt showing he was more then just some pretty boy actor with his excellent nut case roll and the great direction of Terry Gilliam.

Max

Ptflea2
07-29-2008, 09:30 PM
Give me Road Warrior any day of the week. One of my favorite movies of all time. "I am gravely disappointed. Again, you have made me unleash my dogs of war."

Cosmo
07-29-2008, 09:38 PM
I'm going with Escape From New York. The movie is awesome from start to finish, and Snake Plisskin is a great character.

Grim
07-29-2008, 09:41 PM
Definitely the Road Warrior. Escape from New York is a close second, though.

Suicide
07-29-2008, 09:41 PM
I'm pretty fond of The New Barbarians (or Warriors of the Wasteland if you prefer). Not a great movie, or even a good movie but it's ridiculously entertaining. Plus you get Fred Williamson, George Eastman as another character whose name is a number and Bob. And that clear "armor" Scorpion wears at the end is possibly the greatest thing I've ever seen someone forced to wear in a movie.

geeare
07-29-2008, 09:44 PM
planet of the apes, the original.

Katatonia
07-29-2008, 09:54 PM
This is one genre of film that I absolutely love, and it's extremely difficult to pick a favorite, but...

It has to be Richard Stanley's Hardware (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099740/). Why? The signature Stanley atmosphere, the oddball characters, and the use of P.I.L.'S The Order of Death which was practically born for this film and fits right in. Now, get the pesky legal matters settled and release a worthy DVD already!!!

a few words of wisdom from the film:

"It's stupid, sadistic and suicidal to have children right now."

"Machines don't understand sacrifice - neither do morons."

"Kill! Kill! Kill! Today's death count is 578"

An honorable mention goes to Cyborg 2 (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106639/) which is so bad, yet so good! Too bad the R1 DVD is a junky pan & scan version, as the film looks grand in it's 2.35:1 OAR.

baggio
07-29-2008, 10:03 PM
Many to pick but I will go with The Road Warrior with Escape from New York right behind it.

The Road Warrior is just fantastic. Its got everything. Gose, awesome opening, great chase sequences, etc...

"I'm the Ayatollah of Rock & Rolla"

Ash J. Williams
07-29-2008, 10:07 PM
Doomsday for real.

You gave it a favorable review, Rhett, but you were still way too harsh on it. The movie kicks so much ass I can't begin to describe my love for it.

There are better movies in the genre, sure. But Doomsday.

Horrorphilly
07-29-2008, 10:17 PM
I really enjoyed Escape from L.A. It was my first post apocalyptic movie Ive seen in a long ass time.It had everything a action movie deserves.Explosions,surfing in the streets of L.A. and must I forget Kurt Russell.

Sean

CrazyFatEthel
07-29-2008, 10:19 PM
I have to go with Dr. Strangelove, it is one of the most accurate Portrayals of what could happpen if a man like the "Dr." was in power during this time period. The direction, acting, and writing are all just jaw dropping in my opinion, this is one of the few cinematic masterpieces that all film lovers must have in their collection and a must see for all ages.

7dizbust
07-29-2008, 10:31 PM
The UK drama Threads is my favorite. Very realistic, makes the US mini series The Day After look like a tupperware party. My favorite scene, when the daughter of the main protagonist gives birth some years after the nuclear war, and is aghast at what comes out of her.
http://www.cdwow.us/Threads/product/view/232350
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090163/

spawningblue
07-29-2008, 10:42 PM
Have to go with Escape from New York. Carpenter owned the 80s, and this movie was one of the greats. Kurt Russell was perfect as Snake Plisskin, as was the direction and settings. The scene where the crazy gang come out of the sewers and Snake Plisskin is hiding, so tense!

Shannafey
07-29-2008, 10:45 PM
I LOVE The Road Warrior. I saw it as a teen in the theatre when it originally came out in the early 80s and it has always been in my list of top 10 films of all time. I can watch it anytime and can't keep my eyes off the screen if it is on the TV. I used to know it so well, I could recite the opening monologue by heart. It was one of the first post-apocalyptic films I had ever seen and it started my love for the sub-genre. I saw it before I saw the original Mad Max, which pales in comparison to the sequel! I liked Road Warrior so much and that I woke up at 3am to watch the original Mad Max on HBO on a school day. This was before my family had a VCR of course! Definitely my all time favorite film of the sub-genre and one of the best of all time!

indiephantom
07-29-2008, 11:08 PM
The Road Warrior.

I like elemenents of Mad Max a bit better, but the the skill of filmmaking (editing, cinematography) of its sequel is superior. It's one of the few films I can actually stand to watch Mel Gibson in, too.

Almost forgot Southland Tales, my runner-up. Hilarious, bizarre, and fully engaging.

boycrieswolf
07-29-2008, 11:22 PM
I have to say the Road Warrior as well...as far as all-time favorite post-apocalyptic film...but I want to take a quick second to give praise to a seldom referenced apocalyptic thriller from the late 80's: Miracle Mile. I saw this in the theater when I was much younger and it really scared the shit out of me, more so than a lot of straight forward horror movies did. The mix of tragic romance, impending doom from nuclear war, and a wonderful Tangerine Dream score all work together to make a moving and powerful experience. I seldom hear many folks mention it in this sub-genre, but it is one of the few films that has left an impresiion on me that lasts to this day. Really good film.

rhett
07-29-2008, 11:23 PM
I really enjoyed Escape from L.A. It was my first post apocalyptic movie Ive seen in a long ass time.It had everything a action movie deserves.Explosions,surfing in the streets of L.A. and must I forget Kurt Russell.

Sean
Now here's a man cut after my own liking. Respect the L.A.

Spit
07-29-2008, 11:41 PM
Planet of the Apes (1968). I remember catching this on tv once when I was a kid and was absolutely spell bound. I'd never seen a film with Charlton Heston in it before and this was my introduction to his incredible screen presents. I connected to the social commentary dealing with racism and the close-mindedness of the presiding class on a strange level. While I'm sure I had preconception of these ideas before watching the film, something about seeing them portrayed in this way gave them a more biting an real feeling in my little head. Very few films have had such an impressionable and emotional effect on me. As I got older and with repeat viewings the initial 'sting' of the film began to wear off and I started noticed how fucking hot Charlton Heston was. Seriously, he was/is the only man in Hollywood I have ever had a crush on. Planet of the Apes is one of my favorite movies of all time, right up there with Alien and Night of the Living Dead in my book.

17thJuggalo
07-30-2008, 12:36 AM
The Last Man on Earth (1964) gets the nod from me. You just can't beat Vincent Price as a vampire hunter out of necessity due to a world that has been overrun by infected "vampires". My first time seeing this was less than a year ago on a local "Chiller Theater" type show here in Pittsburgh entitled The It's Alive Show. I found it both haunting and entertaining, as it set the stage for future post-apocalyptic and vampires films to come.

Crazferret
07-30-2008, 12:38 AM
I liked 'Last Night' and 'The Miracle Mile', but I am going the comedic route....'Beach Party at The Threshold of Hell'

AndresG
07-30-2008, 02:32 AM
has to be "The Road Warrior", the perfect sequel to Mad Max!. Incredible car chases into endless post-apocalytic wasteland battles!... what else can you ask for?

DrHerbertWest
07-30-2008, 02:43 AM
Hell Comes To Frogtown. Roddy Piper rules FTW.

bigdaddyhorse
07-30-2008, 02:57 AM
Escape from New York barely nudges out Road Warrior, if only due to me seeing it first. I still remember walking to school the next day and finding a stick that looked like just Snake's gun. Best stick ever! too bad it broke at recess.:cry: Having a 26 year old memory (I was 11) of a movie is pretty impressive for me. More impressive is that the movie holds up fine now, just have to chuckle a second at the dates and technology.:)
Road Warrior is just as good, but I have more love for New York.

Paff
07-30-2008, 03:06 AM
I don't know if I'm eligible as a mod, but two great apocalyptic films that come to mind are Kairo and The Screwfly Solution.

Jaffe
07-30-2008, 03:35 AM
I definitely enjoyed The Road Warrior. Escape from New York slightly behind it.

Jaffe

othervoice1
07-30-2008, 03:55 AM
This is tough- but I am going to give the edge to the original Planet of the Apes with Road Warrior and Escape from New York close behind - I also enjoyed 12 Monkeys a lot too

SaviniFan
07-30-2008, 03:56 AM
Escape from New York. Snake Pliskin is the ultimate badass anti-hero. I can watch that film a bazillion times and never tire of it. It holds a special place in my heart as well since it was the first "R" film I saw theatrically.

onebyone
07-30-2008, 03:58 AM
Road Warrior, Escape from LA, Escape from New York, and Doomsday are all great choices, but the very first movie that came to my mind when I saw this was Yor, the Hunter from the Future. That movie is terrible but there is something about it that always cracks me up.

KamuiX
07-30-2008, 04:41 AM
Escape from New York...it was when Carpenter and Russell were both at the top of their game, and everything just works. It has a phenomenal soundtrack as well.

deke rivers
07-30-2008, 04:58 AM
Road Warrior..the whole gas issue was timely then and even more so now

old-boo-radley
07-30-2008, 06:06 AM
Creepozoids because of Linnea's boobs.

thrashard76
07-30-2008, 06:59 AM
I'll say Akira because that movie still never ceases to entertain me. The animation is quite good for the time period it was released and with the gore elements and plot points, it makes a sure fire instant classic in my anime collection.

rxfiend
07-30-2008, 07:09 AM
Escape from New York! Planet of the Apes was pretty good as well.

MorallySound
07-30-2008, 07:15 AM
As much as I hated Doomsday, I'll still enter the contest.

I gotta go with the original Planet of the Apes. It's easily were society is headed!

Vlachio
07-30-2008, 11:33 AM
My favorite apocalyptic film is One Night in Paris. =)~

bwana the clown
07-30-2008, 12:01 PM
Easily 2019, After The Fall Of New York for me. I've been captivated by it since I first rented the aussie K-Tel VHS, and seeing it for the first time in many years has been one of the major highlights of my DVD collecting experience. Loads of action, some nice lashings of gore, midgets, shitty miniatures, a hairier than usual George Eastman, and phoney sax playing make it a cheesy bundle of goodness that I will always hold dear to my heart.

uradouche
07-30-2008, 02:45 PM
This is so tough! nuclear apocalypse is my favorite sub-genre! I would say it is a toss-up between Threads and When the Wind Blows - neither of which has been release in the US!!!! Threads came out at the same time as the Day After in the UK, but totally blows it away (no pun intended.) It is an unrelenting vision of nuclear holocaust. It goes about 30 years into the future after an attack and shows what life would look like with abnormal births and no crops. Really rough. When the Wind Blows is great - animated and British with a great soundtrack featuring Roger Waters and David Bowie. (Probably why its never been released - rights issues)
Its such a bittersweet tale of this old married couple armed only with the knowledge given by thier government to survive an attack, slowly dying alone in their house in the country. I wish these could be release here!

zompirejoe
07-30-2008, 03:12 PM
Escape From New York is one of my favorite films of all time. It's a great post apocalyptic / western / mean streets mash up that works well, and still holds up today. Road Warrior would be my second choice. The Snake Pliskken character is so awesome, it set the template for for a lot of action heroes later on in film.Love this movie, and I never tire of it.

Hellbilly
07-30-2008, 05:17 PM
Bronx Executioner (1989)

Future Cop trying to stop a battle between cyborgs in New York's sand pit. Trashy Italian rip off with incredibly bad settings, costumes, dialogue, acting and action.

Big fave of mine :)

delicreep
07-30-2008, 07:17 PM
Right now, I'd have to say Robot Holocaust, a Tim Kincaid holocaust flick from 1986. The film is totally impoverished and pretty dull. However, it was delivered to unsuspecting viewers in an absolutely awesome big box from Wizard Video, and it has Dr. Buzz (recently of Fox, CNN and Court TV) as the robot Klyton.

Robot Holocaust has a lot going for it: some of the deadly denizens of the post-holocaust world are vicious sock-puppets, there are Amazons, awful costumes, and a ferocious giant spider that is never seen(except for one leg).

We also got a great MST3K episode courtesy of this flick. AND, several plot points echo The Matrix (hmm...)

http://www.tachyon-city.com/wp-content/robotholocaustcg2.jpg

WhatTHEhell19
07-30-2008, 07:32 PM
Not to sound cliche, but my favorite is probably Escape From New York as well. How could you not love it? It's one of Carpenter's and Russell's best films. Plus, it has Isaac Hayes and Donald Pleasence.

A close second would have to be Road Warrior.

Mortis
07-30-2008, 07:42 PM
Planet of the Apes because it has a bunch of damn dirty apes.

satans-sadists
07-30-2008, 08:16 PM
As much as I worship Escape from New York, my absolute favorite in this genre is the original Planet of the Apes (1968). This thought-provoking movie was way ahead of its time and remains a classic. The makeup f/x from John Chambers are nothing short of awe-inspiring. Jerry Goldsmith's music was as innovative as it was intense. Charlton Heston was perfect as the world weary cynic Taylor. I also love the filming locations and the ending is one of the greatest in cinema history!

allmessedup
07-30-2008, 10:06 PM
ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK for sure....it's really stood the test of time for me.

ZoSo
07-30-2008, 11:31 PM
http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4926&stc=1&d=1217453487

KillerCannabis
07-31-2008, 01:21 AM
Escape From N.Y.

Nobody does it better than Carpenter! Snake Plissken is a cinematic icon thanks to the cojones on Kurt Russell. It's a near-flawless film, plus it's got Lee Van Cleef!

maskull
07-31-2008, 02:03 AM
Cyborg. Jean-Claude Van Damme kicking ass, trying to save humanity while being hunted by a gang of twisted freaks. Oh, and a revenge aspect as well. Love it.

fattyjoe37
07-31-2008, 02:48 AM
12 Monkeys. But if I had to take one that completely took place in a post apocalyptic world, it'd be The Road Warrior.

th3480
07-31-2008, 03:37 AM
Escape from NY is way too obvious a selection...as is the Road Warrior. Now, don't get me wrong they are both AMAZING films, but I am going to have to go with the 2007 version of I Am Legend. Ok, ok...not the single greatest sci-fi film ever made, but it's my choice and I'm sticking with it. I know that Will Smith may not be the greatest actor of all time, but for the first 45 minutes, or so, of the film were simply the Fresh Prince, a dog, and some crazy zombie-vampires, and NOBODY else. Really can't get more apocalyptic than that! Heston may have been way cooler, but who couldn't identify with Big Willie when he breaks down and talks to the mannequin. The man just lost his ONLY living friend, stabbed himself in the leg...and it was his birthday. Ouch. Take that Snake Plissken!

Mutilated Prey
07-31-2008, 03:44 AM
I love Escape from New York and Road Warrior, but I'm going with The Terminator. Yes yes, I understand the movie doesn't really show much of the post Apocolypse, but if there wasn't one there would be no Arnold :D

thrashard76
07-31-2008, 05:16 AM
http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4926&stc=1&d=1217453487

Damn dirty pussy.:lol:

BroodingHope
07-31-2008, 05:20 AM
I know I'll probably get flamed for this but I like Escape from L.A. almost as much as Escape from New York. I don't think anyone has said L.A. yet, so I'll go with that.

dirkwu
07-31-2008, 05:50 AM
Damnation Alley for those scary as shit radioactive roaches!

reddye5
07-31-2008, 10:51 AM
A Boy and His Dog hands down. Don Johnson, Jason Robards, and a talking dog in a story that revolves around a teenage vagabond roaming the post nuclear wasteland with a telekinetic dog who finds women for him. As well as a crazy underground community whos residents resemble a cross between the show hee haw and a mime academy.

Truly a Classic!

Darga
07-31-2008, 11:28 PM
I still have to stand by the original 'Mad Max'. Great characters and great dialogue, and you just have to appreciate the fact that the filmmakers made so much out of so little.

soxfan666
08-01-2008, 03:07 AM
I am going with the 1983 tv movie The Day After. I saw it for the first time last year on tv and I thought it was great. They don't make tv movies like they used to. Well acted and a great story line.

killit
08-01-2008, 04:50 AM
waterworld and beyond thunderdome, because the future ain't pretty, it's bleak real bleak

Shock Waves
08-01-2008, 04:59 AM
Delicatessen, Zardoz, and A Boy and his Dog are great, but Road Warrior is still my favorite.

marcx
08-01-2008, 04:52 PM
Escape from New York

Caspar2112
08-02-2008, 01:24 AM
Carpenter really has a few Apocalyptic Titles suitable for this Post. Even though Escape from New York was my initial thought for this, I still must go for In the Mouth of Madness. The End is just the beginning !! That Ending still gives me Goosebumps. :eek:

stl7dust
08-02-2008, 02:23 AM
Escape from New York. I love Carpenter. I love Plisskin. I love Russell. I love Pleasence. I'm not gay. I just love this movie. I really wish Plisskin would make one more appearence in a final movie.

rhett
08-02-2008, 02:37 AM
Carpenter really has a few Apocalyptic Titles suitable for this Post. Even though Escape from New York was my initial thought for this, I still must go for In the Mouth of Madness. The End is just the beginning !! That Ending still gives me Goosebumps. :eek:
Nice first post, it's good to see ITMOM get some love as well. It's the diner scene with the axe that always gets me in that movie, though.

Welcome to the forums!

rhett
08-03-2008, 03:52 AM
The contest closes in four hours, so hurry and list your favorites if you want in on the loot!

Vlachio
08-03-2008, 04:19 AM
http://www.madmaxmovies.com/films/Recommendations/images/ChainReaction.jpg

rhett
08-03-2008, 06:15 PM
Thanks to everyone who submitted! It was great fun reading these, and I'll do as I've done in the previous contests like these and tally the results later.

As for the winners, here's who random.org picked:

boycrieswolf
WhatTHEhell19
ZoSo
Darga
marcx

You've all been sent messages, let me know your address and I'll get them out today with any luck.

Congrats, and stay tuned for a new contest soon!

WhatTHEhell19
08-03-2008, 07:46 PM
Sweet! I've been wanting to see this too. Thanks Rhett :D

Hellbilly
08-03-2008, 07:47 PM
Congrats!

maskull
08-03-2008, 07:57 PM
Yay! The contest is over! Now I can go and buy this movie!

thrashard76
08-04-2008, 06:48 AM
Congrats!

Shock Waves
08-04-2008, 07:16 AM
Congrats to:

boycrieswolf
WhatTHEhell19
ZoSo
Darga
marcx

Shannafey
08-04-2008, 04:13 PM
Yay! The contest is over! Now I can go and buy this movie!

Yeah, I was waiting as well!! :lol:

Congrats you guys!

boycrieswolf
08-04-2008, 11:15 PM
Man, I'm so stoked! My luck is usually shite, I normally don't win things very often so this is a pleasant surprise, and lo and behold I've never seen it! Can't wait to get it and check it out. Thanks again Rhett!:D

baggio
08-05-2008, 04:25 PM
Congrats to the winners!

Darga
08-05-2008, 04:43 PM
Thanks, Rhett!

I'm feeling lucky, maybe I should play the lottery today.

SaviniFan
08-05-2008, 05:32 PM
Congrats all. I just picked this up on blu-ray. I really like this film and hope you winners who have yet to see it enjoy it as well. Neil Marshall has made a helluva fun flick!

geeare
08-05-2008, 06:11 PM
congrats everyone. I just picked this up on Blu-ray as well and can't wait to check it out tonight.

Darkside
08-09-2008, 06:06 PM
I think Creepozoids or Damnation Alley would be my faves of the genre.

bigdaddyhorse
08-10-2008, 08:50 PM
Congrats to:

boycrieswolf
WhatTHEhell19
ZoSo
Darga
marcx

Nice to see some longtime fimiliar names on the winners list, congrats to you all.:banana:
No offense to newbies, but you gotta put in some time to reap benefits, at least in my opinion of things.:)

rhett
08-24-2008, 10:35 PM
No response from marcx, and I have a house to clean.

First one who responds here gets the disc. Just send me your address via PM.

Hellbilly
08-24-2008, 10:40 PM
First! :D

rhett
08-24-2008, 10:56 PM
A worthy beneficiary. Congrats!

dwatts
08-24-2008, 11:01 PM
Now the competition is over, I want to vote for Le Denier Combat by Luc Besson. It's a little nutty, and Besson hadn't quite come fully formed - but it's worthy.