PDA

View Full Version : Jagged edges around objects on HDTV's

Horrorphilly
08-07-2008, 01:04 AM
Guy my buddy just got a new tv and he says there are jagged edges around the objects on the screen.What is this called? and How can it be fixed?

Thanks
Sean

Mutilated Prey
08-07-2008, 01:54 AM
Like it's blocky? Sharpness levels too high? Could be he's not getting a good digital signal? Has his cable or DTV set to 480i? Return that shit for a better TV? ;)

X-human
08-07-2008, 02:57 AM
He could be watching standard definition that's just being squeeze wide, instead of anything in anamorphic or upconverted.

What EXACTLY is he watching that's all jagged? First of all he'll need to use component, DVI or HDMI to get higher quality video. If it's a DVD make sure you're going out at 480p from the player.

Also have him trying just a regular TV antenna, it can still be used to see what over the air HD content he can get.

Matt89
08-08-2008, 06:38 PM
Sounds a bit like aliasing, although aliasing tends to quiver. Could he be watching a movie in an interlaced setting? Interlaced video tends to do that. Progressive solves that problem. (As does HDMI output).

~Matt

Maniac
08-20-2008, 03:40 PM
I had that problem with my 52" LCD, until I turned off the Pixel Plus option, which was set to On by default for some weird reason. After that all was good.