PDA

View Full Version : Black Christmas (1974) Blu-ray Disc 11/11/2008

It's me, Billy
08-10-2008, 08:17 AM
http://www.thehdroom.com/news/The_Original_Black_Christmas_on_Blu-ray_in_November/3256

Retailers are reporting Koch Releasing has scheduled the original 1974 Black Christmas for a Blu-ray Disc treatment on November 11. Black Christmas is directed by Bob Clark who passed away a little over a year ago. He's otherwise known as the director of classics Porky's and A Christmas Story.

This version is not to be confused with the (inferior) 2006 remake with Lacey Chabert. That version has already been released on HD DVD by Genius Products and is expected to eventually appear on Blu-ray as well.
Black Christmas on Blu-ray carries an SRP of $29.98. Check back regularly for high resolution cover art, disc specs and pre-order information.

Great news, huh? We get The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) on Blu-ray on September 30th and now Black Christmas (1974) on Blu-ray on November 11th. And even though it's disliked by many, I really love the 2006 remake of Black Christmas too. It's inferior to the 1974 original, yes, but it's very stylish, beautifully photographed, and a lot of fun. I've got it on DVD and HD DVD and I'll be sure to get the Blu-ray of it too whenever it's released.

indiephantom
08-10-2008, 12:17 PM
http://www.thehdroom.com/news/The_Original_Black_Christmas_on_Blu-ray_in_November/3256

Great news, huh? We get The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) on Blu-ray on September 30th and now Black Christmas (1974) on Blu-ray on November 11th. And even though it's disliked by many, I really love the 2006 remake of Black Christmas too. It's inferior to the 1974 original, yes, but it's very stylish, beautifully photographed, and a lot of fun. I've got it on DVD and HD DVD and I'll be sure to get the Blu-ray of it too whenever it's released.

Count me in. In fact...I love the remake and I agree it looks beautiful. That director did another remake I enjoyed, Willard. I've noticed that most of the HD-DVD titles that were not BD are making there way over to the format, so I wouldn't be surprised if the remake did soon.

SaviniFan
08-10-2008, 03:37 PM
I'll wait for reviews of the picture quality of the original before buying it for the 3rd time on blu. I love the film but I need to know if the upgrade will be worth it over the last SE.

eric_angelus
08-10-2008, 06:17 PM
When I first got my TV, this was running in HD on the MOJO Channel fairly often and it looked great. The print was not pristine...but still the best the movie has ever looked. Not sure if this will be what is released on blu, but I can't wait for this release!

killit
08-10-2008, 06:54 PM
yes, I would live this and the remake on blu, finally some good titles. The shit they release on blu back catalog blows

Reverenddave
08-10-2008, 07:21 PM
I love my HD-DVD of the remake. The colors really pop off the screen. One of my favorite HD-DVDs.

Can't wait for the original on BR. I'll be pre-ordering that one.

Shannafey
08-10-2008, 08:28 PM
I just bought the SE DVD and it looks like crap. I don't have a Blu Ray player to upgrade the Disc, but I would hope they put some time into the new transfer, if they are going to HD with it!

othervoice1
08-10-2008, 08:45 PM
Sounds good- I like the original- thought the remake was one of the worst horror flicks I had ever seen (okay maybe im stretching it with movies like The Howling New Moon Rising out there)

fattyjoe37
08-11-2008, 07:41 AM
Sounds good- I like the original- thought the remake was one of the worst horror flicks I had ever seen (okay maybe im stretching it with movies like The Howling New Moon Rising out there)

Yeah, I don't get the remake love. Glen Morgan (the director) is someone I greatly admire because he wrote many great X-Files episodes and directed Willard, the only recent remake which I think improved on the original. But I hated his Black Christmas redux and would put it with the Wicker Man as the worst of the recent remakes.

rp108
08-18-2008, 03:25 AM
Picking this up. Also looking for the remake to hit Blu-ray too.

Shannafey
08-18-2008, 08:44 PM
I actually liked the remake as well, but then again, I had never seen the original when I watched it, so I look at them as 2 separate but equally enjoyable films.

Ash28M
09-14-2008, 07:45 PM
Here is little tidbit I found over at highdefdigest.com from Dan at itsmebilly.com

Hey all,

New to the forum, but thought you might like to see what we have done with Black Christmas for this years upcoming Blu Ray release.

The image is a full 1080P transfer and we have done some colour correction to get rid of the previous editions Blu Hue from damaged negs. The detail is much much clearer now but be prepared for some film grain. Visible for the first time in Black Christmas. (i actually like grain) There is no DNR at all. This is basically what the print looks like.

On the left is a grab from the standard dvd and on the right is a 100% crop from a section of the image. Its a little grainy at 100% like this but moving on the big screen looks amazing !!!

I watched the whole movie through a few nights ago and it was my best viewing experience to date - and that also beats several theatrical screenings of bad prints over the years including Tarantinos own 35mm print....

As a comparison - its similar to the quality of the recent Anchor Bay Halloween during the dark scenes.

Anyway - hope you like the difference. For a Black Christmas fan the difference is vast !!! granted its no Iron Man transfer lol, but sadly just like me this movie is 35 years old .. and we are both feeling our age..lol

regards
Dan
itsmebilly.com
The Black Christmas Website

DVD
http://forums.highdefdigest.com/attachments/blu-ray-software-general-discussion/1749d1221406440-black-christmas-ntsc_dvd.jpg

Blu Ray
http://forums.highdefdigest.com/attachments/blu-ray-software-general-discussion/1751d1221406836-black-christmas-bc_hdcam_pull-copy.jpg

Main Menu
http://forums.highdefdigest.com/attachments/blu-ray-software-general-discussion/1752d1221407477-black-christmas-black-christ-blu-ray-1-menu-layout_ver1-2.jpg

It's me, Billy
11-02-2008, 09:50 AM
Check out the awesome 'final' cover art for the BD. Dan posted it at http://www.itsmebilly.com

Correction: It looks as though this new cover may be a Canadian exclusive. The Canadian BD is being released on December 2nd and a new DVD is also being released in Canada (apparently with this same new cover) on November 18th. US retailers are still showing a November 11th release date for the BD - probably with the same ugly cover from the 2006 SE DVD.

PRESS RELEASE
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 17, 2008

Christmas is coming early this year and it’s murder.

CRiTiCAL MASS Releasing Inc. and
Anchor Bay Entertainment Canada Present

Black Christmas

On DVD November 18, 2008

He sees you when you’re sleeping, he knows when you’re awake…

(TORONTO, ON) – Critical Mass Releasing Inc. has engaged Anchor Bay Entertainment Canada, a leader in the horror genre, as its exclusive service agent in Canada to distribute Black Christmas in the Canadian home video market. The DVD will be released November 18, 2008 with the Blu-ray edition to follow December 2.

The college town of Bedford is receiving an unwelcome guest this Christmas. As the residents of sorority house Pi Kappa Sig prepare for the festive season, a
demonic stranger begins to stalk the house. A series of grisly obscene
phone-calls start to plague the residents of the sorority and soon they will each meet their fate at the hands of the psychotic intruder. As the Police try to trace the calls, they discover that nothing is as it seems during this Black Christmas.

Black Christmas (1974) is a chilling and well-crafted slasher film by the late Bob Clark (Children Shouldn’t Play With Dead Things, Deathdream, Christmas Story, Porky’s). This classic horror title is considered by genre connoisseurs to be the greatest horror film to come out of Canada and the movie proved to be a huge influence on the slasher films (such as Halloween) that followed it. Black Christmas stands up as an innovative film today and stars John Saxon, Olivia Hussey, Keir Dullea, Margot Kidder, Art Hindle and Andrea Martin.

This release features great new packaging and 2 hours of bonus material:

• Supervised by “Überfan” Dan Duffin, creator of the “ItsMeBilly.com”website.
• Digitally re-mastered anamorphic video & newly created 5.1 Surround soundtrack.
• Two recently uncovered original scenes with an updated vocal track.
• The “12 Days of Black Christmas”, a documentary featuring current interviews
with Art Hindle, Doug McGrath & Lynne Griffin among others.
• Individual interviews with Olivia Hussey, Art Hindle and Margot Kidder.
• Midnight Screening Q&A session with John Saxon, Bob Clark, & Carl Zittrer.
• A set of 4 Black Christmas cards and envelopes.

The release of a Blu-ray edition of Black Christmas will follow on December 2 and contain the same bonus features listed above.

Also on DVD November 18, 2008 for the first time in Canada, Murder By Decree (1979) is a masterful suspense thriller directed by Bob Clark that both fans and critics have called the most exciting and original Sherlock Holmes movie ever made.

In 1888 London, Sherlock Holmes (Christopher Plummer) and Doctor Watson (James Mason) are on the case of the infamous serial murderer Jack the Ripper. The brilliant pair follow a terrifying trail of clues that include a frightened psychic (Donald Sutherland), a suspicious inspector (David Hemmings), an institutionalized woman (Genevieve Bujold) and the prime minister of England (Sir John Gielgud). But even if Holmes and Watson’s remarkable powers of deduction can unmask the maniacal fiend, are they prepared to face the most shocking secret of all?

Bonus features included with this release:

• Audio commentary with Co-Producer/Director Bob Clark
• Theatrical Trailer
• Behind-The-Scenes Still Gallery
• Poster and Still Gallery
• Talent Bios
• DVD-ROM: Original Screenplay

About CRiTiCAL MASS Releasing Inc.
CRiTiCAL MASS Entertainment (CME) ( HYPERLINK "http://www.cmass.ca" http://www.cmass.ca) was founded in 1998 and is comprised of CRiTiCAL MASS Releasing Inc., CRiTiCAL MASS Productions and CRiTiCAL MASS Multimedia. Together they create a strong entity in the international entertainment industry. CME founder William Alexander has worked for over 20 years in entertainment sales and distribution.

About Anchor Bay Entertainment
Anchor Bay Entertainment is the home entertainment division of Starz Media, LLC. It includes the Anchor Bay Films and Manga Entertainment brands. It distributes feature films, children’s entertainment, fitness, TV series, documentaries, anime and other filmed entertainment on DVD and Blu-ray formats. Headquartered in Burbank, CA, Anchor Bay Entertainment has offices in Troy, MI, as well as Canada, the United Kingdom and Australia. Starz Media ( HYPERLINK "http://www.starzmedia.com/" \o "http://www.starzmedia.com/" www.starzmedia.com) is a controlled subsidiary of Liberty Media Corporation attributed to the Liberty Capital Group.

http://www.itsmebilly.com/images/bcsmall.jpg

dickieduvet
11-02-2008, 12:30 PM
I hope to God that the Canadian release is region free. It belongs in all our HD collections.

Body Boy
11-02-2008, 03:25 PM
Oh! Do you have a Region 2 DVD Player? :( That sucks. The cover art alone makes this a worthy buy. :)

Matt89
11-02-2008, 03:30 PM
YEAH GO CANADA! :D

Better not have bilingual artwork.

~Matt

vampyr789
11-02-2008, 05:37 PM
new cover looks AWESOME!!!

maskull
11-02-2008, 06:20 PM
I'm actually really excited about Murder By Decree getting released. I saw this on TV when I was a kid and it got me into the Jekyll and Hyde story.

Is the new Black Christmas DVD the same as the one released in 2006? The special features look the same. Is it just remastered and with new art?

Man, I really gotta go Blu...

Ash28M
11-02-2008, 06:32 PM
Also on DVD November 18, 2008 for the first time in Canada, Murder By Decree (1979) is a masterful suspense thriller directed by Bob Clark that both fans and critics have called the most exciting and original Sherlock Holmes movie ever made.

The first time in Canada? I already bought the Anchor Bay Murder By Decree DVD and I bought it in Canada.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Fd4LuVSWL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

It's me, Billy
11-03-2008, 07:28 AM
Is the new Black Christmas DVD the same as the one released in 2006? The special features look the same. Is it just remastered and with new art?

Yes, the special features are the same ones that are on the 2006 Special Edition DVD - except for the set of 4 Black Christmas cards and envelopes. Those are exclusive to the new Canadian BD and DVD releases. Apparently, those are a part of the Anchor Bay/Starz promotional deal and Anchor Bay/Starz is only involved with the Canadian BD and DVD releases, not the US BD release. Somerville House and Koch are Critical Mass' US distributors. Apparently, the US is not getting a new DVD release, only a BD release. I guess that's because the 2006 SE DVD is still readily available.

As for the transfer being remastered on the new Canadian DVD...it's possible, but maybe not. "Digitally re-mastered anamorphic video & newly created 5.1 Surround soundtrack" is the same phrase that appears on the back of the 2006 SE DVD, so it very well may be the same 1.78:1 anamorphic transfer. I know a lot of people weren't satisfied with the 2006 SE transfer, but I think it looks pretty good. Yes, there's a lot more grain than there was on the 2000 25th Anniversary Edition and the 2002 Collector's Edition, but maybe the grain is supposed to be there. This is a low budget 1974 film. As far as the 2006 SE transfer having a slight yellow hue, I don't know why that is. It is somewhat noticeable, but it didn't dampen my enjoyment. Honestly, I was overly excited about finally having this gem in its correct aspect ratio and 16x9 enhanced.

In regards to cover art, I'm guessing the Canadian DVD and BD will both sport the new cover I previously posted. The US BD will more than likely recycle the cover from the 2006 SE DVD. I'll be pre-ordering the Canadian BD (and maybe the DVD too) for that cool cover and the cards and envelopes.

One other thing - I wonder why the numerous extras from the 2002 CE DVD (the two commentaries, the Black Christmas Revisited doc., the interviews, etc.) aren't being included on this BD release?

maskull
11-03-2008, 11:27 AM
In regards to cover art, I'm guessing the Canadian DVD and BD will both sport the new cover I previously posted. The US BD will more than likely recycle the cover from the 2006 SE DVD. I'll be pre-ordering the Canadian BD (and maybe the DVD too) for that cool cover and the cards and envelopes.

I just checked out Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/Black-Christmas-Blu-ray-Carlson/dp/B001EAWME2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1225707568&sr=1-3) and it has the Blu up for pre-order. Guess they do get the older, 2006 art work.

Thanks for the info Billy. I'm just trying to decide if I should grab the new Canuck DVD. This is one of the only movies that I'd consider double/triple/etc. dipping for. I just have to decide if there's enough on this release to warrant it...that art is pretty damn sweet though.

Ash28M
11-03-2008, 02:25 PM
This is one of the only movies that I'd consider double/triple/etc. dipping for. I just have to decide if there's enough on this release to warrant it...that art is pretty damn sweet though.

I've already tripled dipped on this. I've going to have to read the reviews before I get the Blu-ray. I think i might sell my 2006 version if I do get it. Since it has the same features and I was never to happy with that transfer anyway.

Ash28M
11-03-2008, 02:40 PM
This is one of the only movies that I'd consider double/triple/etc. dipping for. I just have to decide if there's enough on this release to warrant it...that art is pretty damn sweet though.

I've already tripled dipped on this. I've going to have to read the reviews before I get the Blu-ray. I think i might sell my 2006 version if I do get it. Since it has the same features and I was never to happy with that transfer anyway.

Stige
11-03-2008, 04:33 PM
pre ordered can't wait, worst case it's a wasted triple dip, best case it will blow me away

spawningblue
11-03-2008, 05:30 PM
Are the two john Saxon interviews on the 25th anniversary on any of the other two versions? Or would you have to own all three releases to have everything? I already have the Critical Mass SE, and will pick up the new Blu Ray so...

It's me, Billy
11-03-2008, 06:37 PM
Are the two john Saxon interviews on the 25th anniversary on any of the other two versions? Or would you have to own all three releases to have everything? I already have the Critical Mass SE, and will pick up the new Blu Ray so...

The two John Saxon interview segments on the 2000 25th Anniversary DVD run a combined total of approximately 5 minutes. One segment runs about three minutes while the other runs about two minutes. I'm fairly certain (not 100%, but almost) that material is included on the 2002 Collector's Edition DVD. There is a 13 minute John Saxon interview on the 2002 CE DVD and I believe that is the 2000 interview in its entirety. I don't own the 2000 25th Anniversary Edition DVD anymore (just the 2002 CE DVD and the 2006 SE DVD) so I can't check to be certain.

I would say don't worry about tracking down the 2000 25th Ann. disc, but if you get a chance, purchase the 2002 CE for the awesome extras (commentary with Bob Clark, a second commentary track with John Saxon and Keir Dullea, a 36 minute Black Christmas Revisited documentary, a 25 minute Bob Clark interview, a 13 minute John Saxon interview, a Dark Dreamers episode with John Saxon that runs about 20 minutes where he discusses his work on Black Christmas, A Nightmare on Elm Street 1,3, and 7 etc., two trailers, six TV spots, two radio spots, two alternate openings for Silent Night, Evil Night and Stranger in the House, and a photo gallery - none of which were carried over to the 2006 SE.

It's me, Billy
11-03-2008, 08:01 PM
Here are the releases Black Christmas (1974) has seen in the digital medium during the past eight years, from 2000 to 2008.

http://images.dvdempire.com/gen/movies/41945.jpg

25th Anniversary Edition DVD
Released: December 5, 2000
1.33:1 open-matte
English Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
John Saxon interview (5 minutes - broken into two parts, 3 minutes and 2 minutes)
theatrical trailer

http://images.dvdempire.com/gen/movies/456493.jpghttp://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/a-m/bc-se/bc-se_fs.jpg
(Original 1974 art featured on the flipside)

Collector's Edition DVD
Released: December 3, 2002
1.66:1 non-anamorphic
English original mono
English 2.0 Stereo
French mono
Commentary with Director Bob Clark
Commentary with actors John Saxon and Keir Dullea
"Black Christmas Revisited" Documentary featuring all-new cast & crew interviews. Hosted by Lynne Griffin and Art Hindle. (36 minutes)
Unabridged interview with Bob Clark (25 minutes)
Unabridged interview with John Saxon (13 minutes)
Dark Dreamers episode with John Saxon (20 minutes)
Two trailers (English & French)
Six TV spots
Two radio spots
Two alternate openings ("Silent Night, Evil Night" & "Stranger in the House")
Picture and poster gallery
Complete original script (DVD-ROM only)
Press kit and Posters in high quality (DVD-ROM only)
Reversible cover featuring the original 1974 artwork and the new 2002 artwork

http://images.dvdempire.com/gen/movies/1252394.jpghttp://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d92/Steech/BLACK%20CHRISTMAS%202006/bccandvd.jpg
(Left: USA art, Right: Canada art)

Special Edition DVD
Released: December 5, 2006
1.78:1 anamorphic 16x9 enhanced
English Original Mono
English Dolby Digital 5.1
The 12 Days of Black Christmas: An All-new Documentary Featuring Current Interviews with Art Hindle, Doug McGrath & Lynne Griffin Among Others
Separate Interview Segments with Olivia Hussey, Margot Kidder, and Art Hindle
Midnight Screening Q&A Session with John Saxon, Bob Clark, & Carl Zittrer
Two Original Scenes with a New Vocal Soundtrack that were Recently Uncovered

http://images.dvdempire.com/gen/movies/1420994.jpg
USA Release

Blu-ray Disc
To Be Released: November 11, 2008
1.78:1 1080p
English Original Mono
The 12 Days of Black Christmas: An All-new Documentary Featuring Current Interviews with Art Hindle, Doug McGrath & Lynne Griffin Among Others

http://www.itsmebilly.com/images/bcsmall.jpg
Canada Release

Blu-ray Disc
To Be Released: December 2, 2008
1.78:1 1080p
English Original Mono
A set of 4 Black Christmas cards and envelopes

A new Canadian DVD is also being released on November 18, 2008 with the same cover and extras as the Canadian Blu-ray Disc. It will feature a 1.78:1 anamorphic transfer and English mono and 5.1 soundtracks - just like the 2006 SE DVDs.

Matt89
11-03-2008, 09:19 PM
Fuck I love that artwork. I'm so excited for this. Should be leaps and bounds better than the 2006 DVD release. All those problems people are talking about with the transfer sound a lot like the faults of DVD. While it certainly won't look PERFECT on blu, it'll certainly look a HELL of a lot better than its DVD counterpart.

Shit, blu-ray really seems to be taking off. Some great titles are being released, it's awesome!

Although, that tagline kinda sucks: "Christmas is murder!" I mean, it's definitely true to real life, but at the same time...wtf? LOL

~Matt

spawningblue
11-03-2008, 09:36 PM
The two John Saxon interview segments on the 2000 25th Anniversary DVD run a combined total of approximately 5 minutes. One segment runs about three minutes while the other runs about two minutes. I'm fairly certain (not 100%, but almost) that material is included on the 2002 Collector's Edition DVD. There is a 13 minute John Saxon interview on the 2002 CE DVD and I believe that is the 2000 interview in its entirety. I don't own the 2000 25th Anniversary Edition DVD anymore (just the 2002 CE DVD and the 2006 SE DVD) so I can't check to be certain.

I would say don't worry about tracking down the 2000 25th Ann. disc, but if you get a chance, purchase the 2002 CE for the awesome extras (commentary with Bob Clark, a second commentary track with John Saxon and Keir Dullea, a 36 minute Black Christmas Revisited documentary, a 25 minute Bob Clark interview, a 13 minute John Saxon interview, a Dark Dreamers episode with John Saxon that runs about 20 minutes where he discusses his work on Black Christmas, A Nightmare on Elm Street 1,3, and 7 etc., two trailers, six TV spots, two radio spots, two alternate openings for Silent Night, Evil Night and Stranger in the House, and a photo gallery - none of which were carried over to the 2006 SE.

Yeah I already have the 2002 CE, although mine is the Canadian version, so instead of having the original poster art on the flip side it's the same cover just in french. :( But yeah, I plan on getting the new Blu Ray since I never got the 2006 re-release, so I should be good! Thanks!

Matt89
11-03-2008, 09:49 PM
Yeah I already have the 2002 CE, although mine is the Canadian version, so instead of having the original poster art on the flip side it's the same cover just in french. :( But yeah, I plan on getting the new Blu Ray since I never got the 2006 re-release, so I should be good! Thanks!

Really? I got mine in Canada and mine has the original artwork on the flipside. Weird that yours doesn't. Maybe they re-issued it later on with bilingual packaging...

~Matt

spawningblue
11-03-2008, 10:35 PM
Really? I got mine in Canada and mine has the original artwork on the flipside. Weird that yours doesn't. Maybe they re-issued it later on with bilingual packaging...

~Matt

Does yours? Yeah it's pretty shitty as I like the original cover art a lot better. Not a huge deal though, but still...

Cujo108
11-07-2008, 06:44 AM
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews27/black_christmas.htm

Matt89
11-07-2008, 09:09 AM
Yeah I was reading that the other day. Seems pretty good, but I'm gonna hold out for the Canadian Anchor Bay blu-ray.

~Matt

Ash28M
11-07-2008, 01:12 PM
I had a bad feeling about this release. From those screen shots I don't think it's worth a quadruple dip.

Matt89
11-07-2008, 02:07 PM
Never grabbed the new disc, but when I got my TV back in June and discovered that the old Collector's Edition disc was non-anamorphic, well...yeah I think I'm gonna get the blu-ray.

~Matt

spawningblue
11-07-2008, 05:24 PM
I had a bad feeling about this release. From those screen shots I don't think it's worth a quadruple dip.

Yeah it doesn't look like a HUGE improvement, probably because they only used 12 gigs of the disc!? It's one thing to want to save money and use a 25 gig disc as opposed to a 50 gig disc, but to only use half of the 25 gig disc doesn't make much sense. And where's the HD track? That is pretty much a staple these days, even on the lower budgeted releases.

Yeah I was reading that the other day. Seems pretty good, but I'm gonna hold out for the Canadian Anchor Bay blu-ray.

~Matt

Same here. Has the better cover art, and hopefully with Anchor Bay working with them, it will be better quality.

X-human
11-07-2008, 06:19 PM
Pfft. They probably originally only did a HD transfer good enough to down convert to SD. Cheap skates.

I'll wait and see what Anchor Bay does on it then.

Stige
11-07-2008, 07:11 PM
gee and mine is on its way in the mail, oh well live and learn

It's me, Billy
11-09-2008, 10:14 AM
I'm going to wait for the Canadian BD on December 2nd. It's only three more weeks and it will be worth the wait for the cool cover art plus the cards and envelopes that Anchor Bay is including. I'll probably get the Canadian DVD on November 18th too - to replace my 2006 SE DVD.

Stige
11-09-2008, 10:54 AM
is the canadian bluray superior? specs wise anyway , might be a quadruple dip then

It's me, Billy
11-09-2008, 11:03 AM
is the canadian bluray superior? specs wise anyway , might be a quadruple dip then

I doubt it. Probably the same 1.78:1 1080p transfer, same audio, and apparently same extras.

The only two differences between the US BD and the Canadian BD appear to be the cover art and the inclusion of the cards and envelopes in the Canadian Anchor Bay package.

dickieduvet
11-09-2008, 11:44 AM
I really want to get this but if it is region locked I'm fooked :(

Matt89
11-09-2008, 04:29 PM
It shouldn't be. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Anchor Bay has yet to release a region-locked disc, no?

~Matt

dickieduvet
11-09-2008, 06:27 PM
Yeah, I have Dawn, Day Of The Dead, Halloween and ED II. All region free, So fingers crossed.

fceurich39
11-10-2008, 10:05 PM
is any stores in the US even getting the blu ray for sale tomorrow???? my best buy isn't going to carry it

maskull
11-12-2008, 11:49 PM
They had the Black Christmas and Murder By Decree DVDs out today at my local Wal-Mart. I thought they were coming out on the 18th??

I'm still not sure I need to buy the new BC (in spite of the cool new art) because it seems to be basically the same as the 2006 release, but I grabbed the Murder By Decree. So yay!

fceurich39
11-13-2008, 12:24 AM
They had the Black Christmas and Murder By Decree DVDs out today at my local Wal-Mart. I thought they were coming out on the 18th??

I'm still not sure I need to buy the new BC (in spite of the cool new art) because it seems to be basically the same as the 2006 release, but I grabbed the Murder By Decree. So yay!

in CANADA walmarts? i know the walmarts here in the USA only have black christmas available on blu ray online and no stores got em. But i lucked out today and seen my local dvd/music store just decided to start carrying blu ray movies and they got in alot of blu ray titles including one copy of black christmas which i snatched up. There was some pixelation problems with the standard new dvd release which i hope is fixed now with the blu ray.

maskull
11-13-2008, 12:34 AM
Yep. In a Canadian Wal-Mart.

spawningblue
11-13-2008, 07:17 PM

How much was it? I want it but am not going to pay more then $25 for it, as it doesn't sound like it's too much of an upgrade. Especially when Future Shop has a bunch of Blu Rays on sale for $20, including Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Dark City, and 28 Weeks Later.

Matt89
11-13-2008, 08:41 PM
Are you serious? Fuck, the ONE week where I have absolutely NO money.

~Matt

maskull
11-13-2008, 11:13 PM
How much was it? I want it but am not going to pay more then $25 for it, as it doesn't sound like it's too much of an upgrade. Especially when Future Shop has a bunch of Blu Rays on sale for $20, including Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Dark City, and 28 Weeks Later.

I actually didn't notice the price but the Murder By Decree DVD was just over $19. I see on amazon that the BC is $20.98 so there's a chance it won't be over $25 in stores.

spawningblue
11-13-2008, 11:53 PM
I actually didn't notice the price but the Murder By Decree DVD was just over $19. I see on amazon that the BC is $20.98 so there's a chance it won't be over $25 in stores.

Cool thanks!

As for the Future Shop sale I lied about Texas Chainsaw Massacre, I thought it was $20 but it's actually $25. Still there's at least 40 Blu Rays for $20 which is great for Canada, as it's hard to find any under $30 here (Unless you order online of course). Daredevil is like $17 off, cheaper then anywhere online, as are a bunch of others.

Matt89
11-14-2008, 04:15 AM
LOL Daredevil, wouldn't own that film on ANY format. Nice to see that it's Fox that's lowering their prices, though.

~Matt

spawningblue
11-14-2008, 05:41 PM
LOL Daredevil, wouldn't own that film on ANY format. Nice to see that it's Fox that's lowering their prices, though.

~Matt

Have you seen the director's cut? If you hated the film that much it probably won't change your mind, but it is a lot better cut of the movie. I enjoyed the theatrical version for what it was, a mindless fast paced action flick. The Director's Cut has a different feel to it though, they get rid of the love scene, and add a whole other subplot about a prostitutes murder, I loved it. I'm a sucker for any comic book movie though, and Daredevil is one of my favourite comics so... my views are a little biased!

fceurich39
11-15-2008, 08:56 PM
Have you seen the director's cut? If you hated the film that much it probably won't change your mind, but it is a lot better cut of the movie. I enjoyed the theatrical version for what it was, a mindless fast paced action flick. The Director's Cut has a different feel to it though, they get rid of the love scene, and add a whole other subplot about a prostitutes murder, I loved it. I'm a sucker for any comic book movie though, and Daredevil is one of my favourite comics so... my views are a little biased!

i liked both versions of daredevil but they should have kept the love scene in the director's cut

spawningblue
11-17-2008, 10:21 PM
i liked both versions of daredevil but they should have kept the love scene in the director's cut

Yeah it's weird they cut it. Doesn't bother me too much, but I guess if I had a choice, I too would have probably kept it in.

It's me, Billy
11-27-2008, 08:09 AM
For those of you who missed out on purchasing the US HD DVD release of the 2006 remake of Black Christmas from The Weinstein Company - and don't want to wait for them to release it on Blu-ray Disc in the US - you can order it on Blu-ray Disc from Canada, courtesy of Columbia/Tristar and TVA Films.

Black Christmas 2006 on BD @ Amazon.ca (http://www.amazon.ca/Black-Christmas-Blu-ray/dp/B001E7LY6W/ref=pd_sbs_d?ie=UTF8&qid=1227768462&sr=1-3) (Temporarily out of stock)

Here's a Review (http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews42/black_christmas_blu-ray.htm)

I didn't even know it had been released on BD in Canada until just yesterday. It was released on October 28th, 2008. I purchased it yesterday along with the new Canadian DVD of Black Christmas (1974) which was released on November 18th, and the Super Dave: Super Stunt Spectacular: Volume 1 DVD which was released this week on November 25th. My order shipped yesterday, Wednesday, November 26th and I paid for expediated shipping so I should have it pretty quickly.

I've got the Canadian BD of the 1974 Black Christmas on pre-order with Amazon.ca. It gets released next week, December 2nd.

For those of you who want to order:

Black Christmas (1974) Canadian Blu-ray Disc (http://www.amazon.ca/Black-Christmas-Blu-ray/dp/B001J6IKGA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1227768462&sr=1-1) (From Critical Mass/Anchor Bay, To Be Released: December 2, 2008)

New Canadian Black Christmas (1974) DVD (http://www.amazon.ca/Black-Christmas/dp/B001FZ6QN4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1227768462&sr=1-3) (From Critical Mass/Anchor Bay, Released: November 18, 2008)

spawningblue
11-27-2008, 06:49 PM
For those of you who missed out on purchasing the US HD DVD release of the 2006 remake of Black Christmas from The Weinstein Company - and don't want to wait for them to release it on Blu-ray Disc in the US - you can order it on Blu-ray Disc from Canada, courtesy of Columbia/Tristar and TVA Films.

Black Christmas 2006 on BD @ Amazon.ca (http://www.amazon.ca/Black-Christmas-Blu-ray/dp/B001E7LY6W/ref=pd_sbs_d?ie=UTF8&qid=1227768462&sr=1-3) (Temporarily out of stock)

Here's a Review (http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews42/black_christmas_blu-ray.htm)

I didn't even know it had been released on BD in Canada until just yesterday. It was released on October 28th, 2008. I purchased it yesterday along with the new Canadian DVD of Black Christmas (1974) which was released on November 18th, and the Super Dave: Super Stunt Spectacular: Volume 1 DVD which was released this week on November 25th. My order shipped yesterday, Wednesday, November 26th and I paid for expediated shipping so I should have it pretty quickly.

I've got the Canadian BD of the 1974 Black Christmas on pre-order with Amazon.ca. It gets released next week, December 2nd.

For those of you who want to order:

Black Christmas (1974) Canadian Blu-ray Disc (http://www.amazon.ca/Black-Christmas-Blu-ray/dp/B001J6IKGA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1227768462&sr=1-1) (From Critical Mass/Anchor Bay, To Be Released: December 2, 2008)

New Canadian Black Christmas (1974) DVD (http://www.amazon.ca/Black-Christmas/dp/B001FZ6QN4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1227768462&sr=1-3) (From Critical Mass/Anchor Bay, Released: November 18, 2008)

Is the Blu Ray remake unrated/ uncut? I've been wanting to check the remake out, but have never seen the unrated cut in Canada.

It's me, Billy
11-28-2008, 06:39 AM
Is the Blu Ray remake unrated/ uncut? I've been wanting to check the remake out, but have never seen the unrated cut in Canada.

I'm not sure as I haven't received it yet. I notice that the cover art doesn't have "Unrated" listed on it as the US DVD and HD DVD do. Actually, I wouldn't mind if it was the theatrical edition as it was never released on HD DVD. The theatrical edition was released on DVD, but only in 1.33:1 pan and scan. That way I would have the unrated cut in 2.35:1 anamorphic on DVD and 2.35:1 1080p on HD DVD and I would have the theatrical cut in 2.35:1 1080p on Blu-ray Disc.

It would be nice if one day we could get the UK edition of the film on BD in Region A (Canada and USA) with the alternate kills and additional scenes added back into the film. That would be cool.

old-boo-radley
12-02-2008, 01:22 PM
Fingers crossed Wal-Mart has this puppy today and I can proudly call it my first Blu-ray (at least the first one I will have in my hands). They got Black Christmas on DVD on the 18th, so maybe I will get lucky for a change.

old-boo-radley
12-03-2008, 11:43 PM
Per usual, Wal-mart fucked me over. I called there Tuesday in the AM and asked if it was out, he said he was still putting the Blus out. I called back at 4 in the afternoon and the guy (who full well know what Black Christmas is - he said they had the DVD and I know they do 'cause I saw it) said they never got it. I was damn near heartbroken because I haven't seen this in so long and my VHS was looking pretty sweet.

So, my mom said she was going to Wal-mart today and I got her to check as I'd rather die than shop in December. Sure as shit, I sit here with Black Christmas on Blu in my hands. Fuckers.

It's me, Billy
12-10-2008, 04:32 AM
I finally received my Canadian BD from Amazon.ca in the mail today. I don't know why it took so damn long. I paid for Priority shipping and it was shipped Monday of last week, December 1st. My last order with Amazon.ca consisted of Black Christmas (1974) on DVD, Black Christmas (2006) on Blu-ray Disc, and the Super Dave DVD. I also paid for Priority shipping on that order and received it 3 days after it was shipped. Why did my Black Christmas '74 BD take an additional 4 days?

Reverenddave
12-11-2008, 05:39 PM
I haven't been following this too closely. Now that both are out, is there any difference between the US and Canadian versions?

And how's the Canadian BR of the remake? Is it the same cut as the US HD-DVD? I thought I heard reports that the run-time is shorter? Is it the same transfer?

Thanks.

geeare
12-11-2008, 06:05 PM
Fingers crossed Wal-Mart has this puppy today and I can proudly call it my first Blu-ray (at least the first one I will have in my hands). They got Black Christmas on DVD on the 18th, so maybe I will get lucky for a change.

If this is your first Blu-ray then don't be thinking that others will look like this one. I watched the Canadian BD the other day and it's the worst looking Blu-ray I own. it's grainy as hell, which might not have anything to do with the transfer, I have no idea. I've never seen the movie before. I did enjoy the movie but the quality is horrible. I also noticed that on the far left of the frame there appears to be a dark shadow. I had to adjust my settings on my TV to get rid of it and even then you could still see it sometimes. Usually showed up in the darker scenes. Anyway, don't let this movie depict what the rest of the Blu-ray's are gonna look like. I am constantly blown away by the quality but I have seen DVD's look alot better than this one.

old-boo-radley
12-11-2008, 10:15 PM
If this is your first Blu-ray then don't be thinking that others will look like this one. I watched the Canadian BD the other day and it's the worst looking Blu-ray I own. it's grainy as hell, which might not have anything to do with the transfer, I have no idea. I've never seen the movie before. I did enjoy the movie but the quality is horrible. I also noticed that on the far left of the frame there appears to be a dark shadow. I had to adjust my settings on my TV to get rid of it and even then you could still see it sometimes. Usually showed up in the darker scenes. Anyway, don't let this movie depict what the rest of the Blu-ray's are gonna look like. I am constantly blown away by the quality but I have seen DVD's look alot better than this one.

Yeah, I was well aware of the quality of the Blu-ray before I got it. But, it is the best the film ever looked and the other editions aren't in the correct aspect ratio which leads to visible booms. That... I could live with, but what made me really want the Blu-ray was the fact that the previous DVD had a weird tint to it that seemingly destroyed a lot of the lovely Christmas colors (like the famous shots of the house with the trees all lit up). I had the chance to get that DVD new for like $7, but it has no appeal to me if that is the case. Plus, the cover art was amazing. The older DVD had similar color to the Blu-ray, yet it had an open matte ratio if I recall, which had even more visible booms and is way harder to find.

Reverenddave
12-20-2008, 02:58 AM
Anyone have some comparisons of the Canadian and US discs?

Matt89
12-20-2008, 04:30 AM
The Canadian and US discs are EXACTLY the same. The Canadian disc actually has the US artwork on the actual disc, just different package artwork.

But yeah, picked this up last weekend because Wal-Mart had it for $24.99. And wow, this is BY FAR the GRAINIEST blu-ray I've seen yet. It looks terrible, but it's still the best the movie's ever looked. (It looks better the further you sit from your TV lol.)

~Matt

Stige
11-23-2013, 09:53 AM
Has anyone checked out the German blu from Capelight ( same people behind re-animator)?????

Katatonia
11-23-2013, 10:11 AM
Has anyone checked out the German blu from Capelight ( same people behind re-animator)?????

According to what they posted in a forum (http://forum.cinefacts.de/232987-black-christmas-1974-von-capelight.html), it's based on the same transfer source... but is a dual-layer disc with less digital artifacts and compression. It also has lossless audio.

The transfer is based on the same source, but does not have the 100+ digital dropouts - so all these issues were fixed.

thing
11-23-2013, 11:10 AM
The Canadian and US discs are EXACTLY the same. The Canadian disc actually has the US artwork on the actual disc, just different package artwork.

But yeah, picked this up last weekend because Wal-Mart had it for $24.99. And wow, this is BY FAR the GRAINIEST blu-ray I've seen yet. It looks terrible, but it's still the best the movie's ever looked. (It looks better the further you sit from your TV lol.)

~Matt

You picked it up because it was 24.99? I dont get it?

Stige
11-23-2013, 12:44 PM
According to what they posted in a forum (http://forum.cinefacts.de/232987-black-christmas-1974-von-capelight.html), it's based on the same transfer source... but is a dual-layer disc with less digital artifacts and compression. It also has lossless audio.

Maybe worth a purchase then , unless some of the newer companies are planning a fabulous 40th release or something, better check around first

Katatonia
11-23-2013, 01:29 PM
Maybe worth a purchase then , unless some of the newer companies are planning a fabulous 40th release or something, better check around first

I haven't heard anything about plans for one, yet at least.

The German Blu-ray also includes the two old audio commentary tracks, which are missing on the US/Canadian Blu-rays.

Stige
11-23-2013, 01:55 PM
I have the US blu but......well it was certainly lacking in my eyes

Hellbilly
11-23-2013, 02:40 PM
Well, at least Capelight tried to make the best of what they were given, plus added a few "new" extras. Still, even with less digital artifacts and compression the transfer remains problematic.

dickieduvet
11-23-2013, 02:57 PM
Is the difference noticeable between the 2 transfers?, It's on it's way to me anyway. Just hope I haven't wasted my money as I already have the US version.

The Eng mono track is also missing from what I heard!

Matt89
11-23-2013, 04:53 PM
You picked it up because it was 24.99? I dont get it?

Yeah I picked it up for $24.99....in 2008 dude. That was 5 years ago.

~Matt

Myron Breck
11-23-2013, 05:44 PM
It's on it's way to me anyway. Just hope I haven't wasted my money...

Please let us know your opinion once you get it. I would absolutely double-dip for a PQ upgrade (although a little grain is expected and appreciated) and the commentary tracks.

dickieduvet
11-23-2013, 05:59 PM
Please let us know your opinion once you get it. I would absolutely double-dip for a PQ upgrade (although a little grain is expected and appreciated) and the commentary tracks.

Will do :cool:

Essential that I watch this and Elf every Xmas, It's tradition, Billy & Agnes make me ;)

Chomp
11-23-2013, 06:17 PM
The US BD's audio also goes out on sync.

I am gonna pick up the German BD regardless...the US BD is atrocious.

Matt89
11-28-2013, 02:03 PM
Did anyone pick this up yet? I really wanna order it for the commentaries that are apparently on it but I wanna know if the picture is improved and worth an upgrade.

~Matt

dickieduvet
11-28-2013, 03:28 PM
Should have my copy tomorrow Matt, I'll post my thoughts as soon as I've spun it ;)

othervoice1
11-28-2013, 05:21 PM
so is the german release region locked?

dickieduvet
11-28-2013, 08:03 PM
so is the german release region locked?

All my other Capelight BD's have been region free, I'll check it tomorrow and let you know.

dickieduvet
11-29-2013, 07:26 PM
Just finished watching the new German version and compared it to my US disc:

Blacks are more stable on the German, lots of white specs have been removed as per the Capelight message "removing 100+ digital dropouts"

It's also on a BD50 compared to the BD25 (US) I don't have the capability to find the size the Film takes up on the disc but I'm sure it's much larger than the 11GB the US disc holds. There isn't as much noise on the German either and the grain looks much more like grain as opposed to macroblocking.

The ENg Mono track is missing on the German but some of the audio dropouts have been resolved on the 5.1 track.

Region free too :D

dickieduvet
11-29-2013, 08:37 PM
Amazon.de :cool:

Matt89
11-29-2013, 10:29 PM
Aww missing mono? Ughhh the 5.1 remix is absolutely fucking horrible. They changed a ton of sound effects on it and added in a bunch of others.

~Matt

dickieduvet
11-29-2013, 10:43 PM
Yep! it's one of those really...dubious audio with better PQ and extras Vs original audio and sub-par PQ.

Prob best to get them both -gah!

Matt89
11-30-2013, 02:12 AM
Yeah well, ordered it. Couldn't resist.

~Matt

othervoice1
11-30-2013, 03:10 AM
Thanks for the info on this one - I might have to pick it up too

Katatonia
11-30-2013, 03:48 AM
I ordered one a few days ago... should be here soon from Amazon DE.

Except for the mono exclusion, it sounds all-around better than the US/Canada Blu-ray.

Matt89
11-30-2013, 03:59 AM
I ordered one a few days ago... should be here soon from Amazon DE.

Except for the mono exclusion, it sounds all-around better than the US/Canada Blu-ray.

Yeah I wanna see how good it looks. This film is notorious for always looking like shit on home video. But ugh the lack of a mono track on this release reaaaaally irks me. The 5.1 mix on Black Christmas is one of the worst ones I've ever heard.

Why replace sound effects for an old film? I don't get it. I mean I know they add them in to give the track "range" but ugh, do it right.

~Matt

dickieduvet
11-30-2013, 04:14 AM
The inclusion of all the extras from the various DVD's was enough to sway me, the superior PQ is obviously a bonus but don't expect miracles. It's from the same source but doesn't have the compression issues and all the AV artifacts & dropouts have been remedied.

Can't see us getting anything better unless somebody gets their hands on the original negative and gives it a 2k/4k scan.....I can dream :p

Katatonia
11-30-2013, 04:26 AM
Yeah I wanna see how good it looks. This film is notorious for always looking like shit on home video. But ugh the lack of a mono track on this release reaaaaally irks me. The 5.1 mix on Black Christmas is one of the worst ones I've ever heard.

Why replace sound effects for an old film? I don't get it. I mean I know they add them in to give the track "range" but ugh, do it right.

~Matt

I totally agree, but I can live with it for a better encode and less compression artifacts. It could also be a different 5.1 mix on the German BD... I haven't heard anybody compare them yet though. And at least it's lossless now.

The US/Canada Blu-ray is under 12 gigabytes in size, total. It wouldn't take too much to beat the picture quality on that one.

Katatonia
12-12-2013, 10:19 PM

Myron Breck
12-12-2013, 10:26 PM
Wow, Kat, thanks for going through the trouble. Honestly, I don't see that much difference between the two versions. I'll probably keep my Critical Mass blu and hold onto my DVD for the features.

thing
12-12-2013, 10:26 PM
Okay, here are some random screenshot comparisons I took between the German (DE) Blu-ray from Capelight, and the North American (US) Blu-ray from Critical Mass.

DE: http://imageshack.com/a/img41/2085/3vg2.jpg
US: http://imageshack.com/a/img202/3279/xs3j.jpg

DE: http://imageshack.com/a/img600/49/ugb5.jpg
US: http://imageshack.com/a/img36/4435/gdkk.jpg

DE: http://imageshack.com/a/img801/8822/zf2s.jpg
US: http://imageshack.com/a/img163/8332/oytc.jpg

DE: http://imageshack.com/a/img29/6290/26il.jpg
US: http://imageshack.com/a/img440/843/qmpy.jpg

DE: http://imageshack.com/a/img18/2471/84op.jpg
US: http://imageshack.com/a/img36/6002/j1xz.jpg

DE: http://imageshack.com/a/img542/6484/8vi9.jpg
US: http://imageshack.com/a/img703/5538/95d3.jpg

DE: http://imageshack.com/a/img9/7127/1wmu.jpg
US: http://imageshack.com/a/img20/827/uudo.jpg

DE: http://imageshack.com/a/img202/7787/7rtc.jpg
US: http://imageshack.com/a/img96/863/69cw.jpg

DE: http://imageshack.com/a/img27/8596/e9pf.jpg
US: http://imageshack.com/a/img14/66/xh52.jpg

DE: http://imageshack.com/a/img202/8765/wmef.jpg
US: http://imageshack.com/a/img4/3922/aoh3.jpg

DE: http://imageshack.com/a/img542/6484/8vi9.jpg
US: http://imageshack.com/a/img703/5538/95d3.jpg

DE: http://imageshack.com/a/img24/6256/dqip.jpg
US: http://imageshack.com/a/img33/5132/nx1r.jpg

Some of those aren't quite exact frame comparisons, but you get the idea.

The German Blu-ray takes up about 29.5GB for the main feature. The US Blu-ray in comparison takes up under 11GB for the main feature.

AnyDVD HD & MPC-HC x64 Player was used to grab all of the screenshots with identical methods from both Blu-rays.

cool thanks,I already got the american one, from those shows they look a bit different but I wouldn't say I favour one heavily over the other. I imagine that with the higher rate on the German one it looks better in motion?

dickieduvet
12-12-2013, 10:34 PM
The caps give a pretty good impression of the differences, you can see that at least the German edition has some natural film grain compared to the US. In motion the blacks are much nicer too, the darker scenes on the US grey out differing from scene to scene.

Katatonia
12-12-2013, 10:35 PM
cool thanks,I already got the american one, from those shows they look a bit different but I wouldn't say I favour one heavily over the other. I imagine that with the higher rate on the German one it looks better in motion?

Yeah the German Blu-ray looks better in motion... less macroblock compression is noticeable and the German shows a little more grain/detail.

They're both based from the same master transfer, so it's not a huge difference... it's just that the German has a better encode and a higher bitrate.

Katatonia
01-19-2014, 03:20 AM
Here's detailed screen comparisons between the German and US Blu-ray releases:

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_comparison.php?disc1=3590&disc2=3591&hd_multiID=1492#auswahl

They don't look quite right to me though. I think whoever put up the German screenshots screwed 'em up somehow...they look zoomed in and blurred or something, even if you click on 1920x1080 Fullscreen Comparisons. And that's just not the way the actual Blu-ray appears...

dickieduvet
01-19-2014, 01:23 PM

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_comparison.php?disc1=3590&disc2=3591&hd_multiID=1492#auswahl

They don't look quite right to me though. I think whoever put up the German screenshots screwed 'em up somehow...they look zoomed in and blurred or something, even if you click on 1920x1080 Fullscreen Comparisons. And that's just not the way the actual Blu-ray appears...

Agree 100% ;)

Stige
01-19-2014, 02:07 PM
All I know is the critical mass release I watched irritated me while watching it, and when I watched the new German release I never found anything to complain about so......imho..

It's me, Billy
01-19-2014, 02:17 PM
The inclusion of all the extras from the various DVD's was enough to sway me, the superior PQ is obviously a bonus but don't expect miracles. It's from the same source but doesn't have the compression issues and all the AV artifacts & dropouts have been remedied.

Can't see us getting anything better unless somebody gets their hands on the original negative and gives it a 2k/4k scan.....I can dream :p

I wish Don May over at Synapse could get a hold of Black Christmas (1974) and give it the same treatment he gave The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974). It's too late for the 40th anniversary later this year, unfortunately, but maybe eventually...

By the way, whatever happened to Dan Duffin, the webmaster of itsmebilly.com? Is he still around?

Vincent Pina
01-21-2014, 06:38 PM

They look exactly opposite of yours. German zoomed and blurred, US better grain structure. Do you know why they said this about you here?

Administrator:
There is some controversy if these caps are correct. I can assure you they are.
On the horrordvd-forum a use named Katatonia posted some comparison screenshots on the 12th of December last year: Link

Take the 3rd pair from the top:
DE: http://imageshack.com/a/img801/8822/zf2s.jpg
US: http://imageshack.com/a/img163/8332/oytc.jpg

You can see that the US Blu seems to be zoomed in a bit.

Problem is, he labled those screenshots incorrectly:

I did those caps with my Black Christmas BDs and uploaded them to abload.de, so you can see the actual filenames they were taken from:

DE: http://abload.de/img/00005.m2ts_snapshot_0tys16.png
US: http://abload.de/img/00000.m2ts_snapshot_0gjsse.png

And here are the BDInfo Scans with the actual Files, so that you can check, that i didn't make any mistakes...

dickieduvet
01-21-2014, 06:56 PM
Regardless of screenshots and everything else. I can't tell you strongly enough how superior the German edition is in comparison to the US. I've compared them directly playing at the same time on my 60" TV. One in my reg B player the other in my reg A. Firstly the US doesn't have a grain structure as such, it's chock full of compression artifacts and is only 12GB in size, the German has much more breathing space at 30GB and these artifacts aren't an issue. Grain looks far more natural.

Paff
01-21-2014, 07:40 PM
I wish Don May over at Synapse could get a hold of Black Christmas (1974) and give it the same treatment he gave The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974). It's too late for the 40th anniversary later this year, unfortunately, but maybe eventually...

By the way, whatever happened to Dan Duffin, the webmaster of itsmebilly.com? Is he still around?

Just glad to see you posting here. Kinda figured you'd killed yourself after learning that Lacey Chabert got married.

Matt89
01-21-2014, 07:50 PM
Caps a holic is wrong. Simply put. I have both these blu rays as well and tested both of them. German is more natural looking and has better grain structure.

~Matt

Hork!
01-21-2014, 10:00 PM
German Blu-ray looks superior to the US Blu-ray.

Katatonia
01-21-2014, 10:02 PM
They look exactly opposite of yours. German zoomed and blurred, US better grain structure. Do you know why they said this about you here?

I don't know what the hell they are talking about. My screenshots were correctly labeled and are not a mistake.

And as you can see from this very thread, several other users here confirm that the German Blu-ray looks superior to the US Blu-ray. I think it's Caps a holic who've made an error somewhere.

Regardless, the German Blu-ray looks much better in motion than the US Blu-ray does.

Kim Bruun
01-21-2014, 11:14 PM
Glad to hear that it was worth the upgrade (didn't actually compare the two release, though I now own both). Still, the perfect release, with the original mono, would get my money. It's just one of those movies. ;)

Vincent Pina
01-21-2014, 11:28 PM
I don't know what the hell they are talking about. My screenshots were correctly labeled and are not a mistake.

And as you can see from this very thread, several other users here confirm that the German Blu-ray looks superior to the US Blu-ray. I think it's Caps a holic who've made an error somewhere.

Regardless, the German Blu-ray looks much better in motion than the US Blu-ray does.
Ok, thanks.

Matt89
01-22-2014, 12:25 AM
It also has over twice the bitrate! There's no way it could look as bad as caps a holic claims.

~Matt

Amc888
01-22-2014, 08:27 AM
Here's the screens I took using VLC player. They are uncompressed, in PNG format.

UD BD:

http://thumbnails109.imagebam.com/30316/7b1fc1303152208.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/7b1fc1303152208) http://thumbnails111.imagebam.com/30316/4e2e7b303152211.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/4e2e7b303152211) http://thumbnails112.imagebam.com/30316/1a20a1303152213.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/1a20a1303152213) http://thumbnails104.imagebam.com/30316/4abc6a303152214.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/4abc6a303152214) http://thumbnails110.imagebam.com/30316/f43987303152219.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/f43987303152219) http://thumbnails112.imagebam.com/30316/190081303152223.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/190081303152223)

German BD:

http://thumbnails111.imagebam.com/30316/c783d7303152532.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/c783d7303152532) http://thumbnails110.imagebam.com/30316/9ebb10303152533.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/9ebb10303152533) http://thumbnails109.imagebam.com/30316/b17acf303152534.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/b17acf303152534) http://thumbnails112.imagebam.com/30316/764c86303152537.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/764c86303152537) http://thumbnails104.imagebam.com/30316/1711d4303152540.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/1711d4303152540) http://thumbnails109.imagebam.com/30316/37aed3303152541.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/37aed3303152541)