PDA

View Full Version : Nigtmare on Elm St. blu-ray

indiephantom
09-17-2008, 04:00 AM
Was surprised as hell to find this today at Future Shop (Best Buy also had them). Anyone else pick it up? I'm going to give it a spin later. :banana:

indiephantom
09-17-2008, 04:28 AM
Okay, this has only been released in Canada. Apparently because of the whole New Line shift in the states, Alliance here in Canada would lose the rights in 2009, so they went ahead with a bare-bones blu-ray.

Well, the good news is I've watched about 20 mins. now and the audio and picture quality are really good. Terrific detail, and the lossless sound is amazing (if you're into that). Happy to report having seen and heard all the previous versions, that this is the best I've experienced this film.

Not even a trailer, though. So keep your previous discs for the special features. The 2 disc SE is selling for about 10 bucks, so you could add that pretty cheap to any order.

othervoice1
09-17-2008, 04:28 AM
I hope they release one for the U.S. sometime soon- and be nice to throw a few extra features on too

indiephantom
09-17-2008, 04:40 AM
I hope they release one for the U.S. sometime soon- and be nice to throw a few extra features on too

I'm sure they will, but I think they'll wait for something closer to the remake release date.

dickieduvet
09-17-2008, 09:34 AM
Any idea if it is region locked or region free ??

geeare
09-17-2008, 11:51 AM
Any idea if it is region locked or region free ??

if you're in the staes then it won't matter because canada is the same region, elsewhere is another story. I will prolly pick this up but I won't bother with the rest of them since I have the Box, I may consider getting the 3rd one but that will be all.

dickieduvet
09-17-2008, 12:39 PM
if you're in the staes then it won't matter because canada is the same region, elsewhere is another story. I will prolly pick this up but I won't bother with the rest of them since I have the Box, I may consider getting the 3rd one but that will be all.

I'm in the UK which is always a pain in the ass :(

AndiOne
09-17-2008, 02:12 PM
Well from my Swedish point of view it is quite interesting if the release is Region Free.
Cause I havent regionmodified my BDP-300 yet.

geeare
09-17-2008, 03:34 PM
shittay

KamuiX
09-17-2008, 10:03 PM
Man, this has made me realize just how far the US dollar has fallen!! The last Canadian releases I picked up were the Ginger Snaps films, and in conversion I payed about 50% less than what the CAD price was. I went to check the conversion rate on this...and it's a whole dollar less. I was hoping I could snag a new BR release for like $14 :p

Grim
09-18-2008, 02:51 AM
Damn it! Haha, got my hopes all up. Well, maybe if I really want it I'll get it. I'll probably just wait until it gets a release here.

indiephantom
09-18-2008, 05:57 AM
If you guys who are stateside wanted to save a little cash by combining orders, Alliance is also releasing Blu-ray discs of SIN CITY and FROM DUSK TILL DAWN on October 21. Rumor is these won't be released in the US this year either.

Amazon.ca seems to have the best prices on all 3 titles at 20.95 each for ANOES, FDTD, and SIN CITY. I smell a great Halloween blu-ray marathon in the works!

pre-order Sin City blu-ray right here:
http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/701-0529785-1390755?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=sin+city+blu-ray

pre-order From Dusk till Dawn blu-ray:
http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/701-0529785-1390755?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=from+dusk+till+dawn+blu-ray

Order A Nightmare On Elm St. blu-ray:
http://www.amazon.ca/Nightmare-on-Elm-Street-Blu-ray/dp/B001CQS7E2/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1221713781&sr=8-2

fceurich39
09-18-2008, 02:31 PM
is there any special features?

indiephantom
09-18-2008, 06:07 PM
is there any special features?

None announced. I'm guessing probably not, but too early to say.

rhett
09-18-2008, 06:43 PM
Interesting developments, it's been a long time (the Black Christmas era?) since Canadian releases had any relevance over the US ones. Especially in the wake of those awful Porky's "anniversary" packs.

fceurich39
09-18-2008, 07:08 PM
None announced. I'm guessing probably not, but too early to say.

i meant for nightmare on elm street blu ray uncut or any extras

indiephantom
09-18-2008, 07:44 PM
i meant for nightmare on elm street blu ray uncut or any extras

No, sorry. Not even a trailer. And it's still the cut version that has been on pervious discs.

Dave
09-19-2008, 03:22 AM
Is there even an uncut NOES? And if so, does it matter? I recall the original being rather graphic.

X-human
09-19-2008, 04:12 AM
Is there even an uncut NOES? And if so, does it matter? I recall the original being rather graphic.

From IMDB:The region 1 DVD features a slight trim to the scene where Tina is killed in her bedroom. When Kruger drops her from the ceiling, we do not see the slow motion splash of blood that spurts off the matress as her body hits it. This cut is referred to the in DVD audio commentary. The scene is totally uncut in the United Kingdom video versions.

The LD is also uncut.

And let's not get into that Salo bit about if it really "matters."

indiephantom
09-19-2008, 04:44 AM
From IMDB:

The LD is also uncut.

And let's not get into that Salo bit about if it really "matters."

I'm always disappointed by the Tina bedroom scene now. It's that missing cut which really made the scene so shocking to me when I first saw it. Didn't realize the LD was uncut. I sold my VHS copy when I got the box set years ago, unaware that it would be a mistake.

Matt89
09-19-2008, 04:54 AM
Future Shop has it? Which one? I usually go to the one near Yonge & Dundas in Toronto. It's not listed on their site, but I dunno, maybe I'll check it out tomorrow. I can't find any info on it. How much was it?

~Matt

indiephantom
09-20-2008, 08:37 PM
Future Shop has it? Which one? I usually go to the one near Yonge & Dundas in Toronto. It's not listed on their site, but I dunno, maybe I'll check it out tomorrow. I can't find any info on it. How much was it?

~Matt

It was $23.83. I got mine in Ottawa. There were only 5 copies in stock and they sold out pretty fast.

dickieduvet
09-20-2008, 09:12 PM
Region A locked !!!!

Shit

mclay18
09-21-2008, 05:41 PM
Compared to PQ of the Infinifilm 2-disc SE and the original 1999 disc, how does the Canadian Blu-ray stack up?

And could anyone post up the back artwork?

indiephantom
09-21-2008, 06:01 PM
Compared to PQ of the Infinifilm 2-disc SE and the original 1999 disc, how does the Canadian Blu-ray stack up?

Looks to be from the same transfer, but the Hi-Def is a sizable improvement here. One of the best catalog transfers I've seen. I wish the new "Risky Business" looked half as good.

Matt89
09-21-2008, 07:57 PM
Is it really that good? I might pick it up then. I mean, the fact it has no special features on it kinda stinks, but I still have my Infinifilm edition for the extras. The Best Buy near me has TONS of copies (like...at least 10 or 12) of the blu-ray for $22.99.

~Matt

spawningblue
09-22-2008, 06:12 PM
I saw it the other day, but think I'm going to hold out. I'm sure by this time next year it will be released again with all the extra features. Don't need three copies of Nightmare on Elm Street, even if it is a classic.

geeare
09-22-2008, 06:20 PM
Looks to be from the same transfer, but the Hi-Def is a sizable improvement here. One of the best catalog transfers I've seen. I wish the new "Risky Business" looked half as good.

OK so it looks great, I am sold and will be picking it up tonight. I could care less about extras with any movie.

Matt89
09-22-2008, 06:46 PM
Yeah, same here. Picking it up tonight when I'm at school.

~Matt

Matt89
09-23-2008, 05:24 AM
Well just popped the blu ray into my PS3 and I've gotta say...what a revelation. I got my Sharp Aquos back in June and I never got around to giving my NOES "Infinifilm" edition a spin. I popped it in today just to see how it looked. Wow. Even upscaled the DVD looked like total dogshit. DNR'd to fucking hell, very very thin black bars on all 4 sides of the frame, very un-film-like. The blu ray is about 10x better than the crappy Infinifilm edition. I honestly don't care about the special features. I have the DVD for those, but this blu ray is TOTALLY worth tracking down for the image quality alone. It looks fantastic.

I've gotta say, if I hadn't taken a look at that Infinifilm edition on my HDTV today, I probably would've passed this up. Seeing how it looks now, I can't believe I almost did.

Btw...it's $22.99 at Best Buy. :)

~Matt

geeare
09-23-2008, 12:35 PM
dammit, i didn't have time to watch mine last night becuase of monday night foosball. I hope to check it out tonight.

mlock
01-12-2009, 12:37 PM
I have yet to pick up a copy myself as I don't live in a city that has Best Buy/Future Shop. I do plan to burn the features disc and sell my infinifilm version asap though. But I did manage to pick up From Dusk Till Dawn for $12.99 before Christmas at the closest Future Shop to where I live. It looks fantastic! The non-anamorphic dvd was a joke, regardless of all the features it had! I just wish I scooped up Sin City for the same price while I was there!

rxfiend
01-07-2010, 09:44 AM
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4006

A Nightmare on Elm Street Blu-ray Announced

Posted January 7, 2010 03:28 AM by Juan Calonge

New Line Cinema Warner Home Video, in conjunction with New Line Home Entertainment, has announced the Blu-ray release of Wes Craven's modern horror classic 'A Nightmare on Elm Street' for April 6. This BD release will exclusively include a BonusView feature titled Ready Freddy Focus Points, where users can "see alternate takes and learn filmmaking secrets behind the nightmare by jumping to video highlights while watching the movie."

Bonus features consist of:

* Ready Freddy Focus Points
* Commentaries:
o Director Wes Craven, co-stars Heather Langenkamp and John Saxon, and cinematographer Jacques Haitkin
o Wes Craven, co-stars Robert Englund, Heather Langenkamp and Ronee Blakley, producer Robert Shaye and co-producer Sara Risher
* Alternate endings
* Featurettes:
o The House That Freddy Built: The Legacy of New Line Horror
o Never Sleep Again: The Making of A Nightmare on Elm Street
o Night Terrors: The Origins of Wes Craven's Nightmares

buck135
01-07-2010, 10:35 AM
So, this goes along with the theatrical release of the remake. Can we expect a Blu-Ray box set with the rest of them when the remake goes on sale?

Nailwraps
01-07-2010, 03:27 PM
Yes! I knew this was gonna happen! :D

Craig
01-07-2010, 03:31 PM
Damn I was hoping they would have had the whole series in the works. I would love to see the sequels.

In an ideal world the box art would be the original artwork as they are some of the best posters (I have them all in frames on my wall).

Special features wise, I would love to see:

Commentary by the director and Robert Englund
Commentary with the teen cast
A 90 minute documentury on each film
Any behind the scenes footage.
Deleted scenes including TV edits (especially the deleted scene of Alice's dad with his head being held by Freddy in The Dream Master)
Music videos
3-D ending for Freddy's Dead
Trailers

I can dream...

fceurich39
01-07-2010, 06:35 PM
awesome news can't freakin wait i too hope the other films will be getting new editions dvd or blu-ray as well as a blu-ray box set

artwork here http://www.thehdroom.com/news/1984_A_Nightmare_on_Elm_Street_to_Slash_Blu-ray/6143

rhett
01-07-2010, 07:26 PM
Great news...this will serve up the chance to do the first Blu-ray to Blu-ray comparison on the site. Considering how different Alliance timed a lot of their scenes compared to past releases, it will be interesting to see what Warner decides to do here.

I'm really not a fan of the infinifilm artwork. It just looks sloppy and drab. Agreed that the original theatrical art for the first film (and the rest of the series) is much better than this crap.

fceurich39
01-07-2010, 08:04 PM
i also hope the audio is fixed while it didn't really bother me on the 2 disc dvd it did for some people

Grim
01-07-2010, 10:16 PM
The artwork for the Nightmare on Elm St. Series, at least the entries in the 80's, were basically the last of their kind. They're also fucking wicked. I don't remember seeing too many more hand drawn posters once the 90's hit.

bigdaddyhorse
01-07-2010, 10:50 PM
Awesome news. Still kinda bummer that some of the deleted scenes from the laserdisc haven't made it to any other disc, and looks like they'll be missing again.
I'd be happy enough if this uses the same print the Alliance bd did, those screens in the review looked absolutely amazing!

Not sure if I'd want a whole new blu box, I'd be good with 1,3 and New Nightmare, the rest are all just ehh.

Grim
01-07-2010, 11:16 PM
Awesome news. Still kinda bummer that some of the deleted scenes from the laserdisc haven't made it to any other disc, and looks like they'll be missing again.
I'd be happy enough if this uses the same print the Alliance bd did, those screens in the review looked absolutely amazing!

Not sure if I'd want a whole new blu box, I'd be good with 1,3 and New Nightmare, the rest are all just ehh.

I would love 4 on blu-ray. I think it's the most visually appealing film in the series, even if the acting is quite horrid and it has aged like cottage cheese.

fceurich39
01-07-2010, 11:58 PM
the blu-ray will have movie cash to see the remake which is good here is the sales sheet
http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/a-nightmare-on-elm-street3.html

Katatonia
01-08-2010, 01:40 AM
It's available for pre-order at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G8XOMG/) with an April 6th release date.

Matt89
01-08-2010, 04:03 AM
Hmmm...I should prob sell off my Alliance blu-ray pretty soon then.

~Matt

bigdaddyhorse
01-08-2010, 07:27 AM
the blu-ray will have movie cash to see the remake which is good here is the sales sheet
http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/a-nightmare-on-elm-street3.html

Even better, after watching the sneek peak on the Final Destination blu I was going to see that anyway.:D

Sam
01-08-2010, 03:02 PM
Awesome. I was hoping for a box set but this is better than nothing. Looking forward to the blu vs. blu comparison before I make it an official purchase.

fceurich39
02-16-2010, 06:12 PM
some sites are saying this is coming out a week later now on apr 13th but amazon and dvdaf still says apr 6th

mlock
02-17-2010, 09:00 AM
Hmmm...I should prob sell off my Alliance blu-ray pretty soon then.

~Matt

Me too, the Alliance transfer did look fantastic, but the additional commentary with Mr.England in conjunction with that new interactive feature, a double-dip WILL be worth it!:D

Just as Paramount did with their Friday 13th franchise, I also hope to see spec eds of all the sequels.

Matt89
02-17-2010, 09:56 PM
Yeah, my Alliance blu-ray just sold for $43 US! Fuck, guess some people are still unaware that it's being re-released. In this case, well, that's a good thing.

~Matt

fceurich39
03-02-2010, 01:50 AM
it was originally announced for apr 6th but now most websites say april 13th instead of april 6th which still says on a few websites which is it?

Nailwraps
03-30-2010, 05:42 PM
We have a review on the Blu!:

http://dvdmg.com/nightmareonelmstreetbr.shtml

spawningblue
03-30-2010, 06:47 PM
We have a review on the Blu!:

http://dvdmg.com/nightmareonelmstreetbr.shtml

Here's another review, this time with video comparisons between the Canadian Blu Ray.

http://blu-news.com/index.php/2010/03/a-nightmare-on-elm-street-blu-ray-review/

Sam
03-31-2010, 10:31 PM
The screencap comparisons have me sold on the USA disc... It looks like a definite improvement to me after enlarging the images to full scale. The domestic one looks to have grain intact and more detail. And it also helps that the disc is only $16.99 vs. twice that (or more) for the OOP Canadian release. Hopefully the rest of the films in the series will get as good treatment and come out soon.

Wez4555
04-01-2010, 03:14 AM
Im so getting this. Now bring out the other 6!

fceurich39
04-01-2010, 03:34 AM
it sounds like the audio is fixed from the infinifilm dvd release?

SaxCatz
04-01-2010, 04:27 AM
some sites are saying this is coming out a week later now on apr 13th but amazon and dvdaf still says apr 6th

Yeah... I noticed this too. Most online retailers are listing the release date as April 13th, but Amazon.com and most of the release calendars still list the 6th.
I pre-ordered this AGES ago (first day listed on Amazon) and have been waited with baited breath for its release... I will be PISSED if they delay it for no apparent reason.:(

Kolpitz
04-01-2010, 04:45 AM
I pre-ordered it from Amazon. I usually try not to buy movies on Blu-ray that I already own on DVD, unless they're cheap ($10 or less). But, this is one of my favorite horror movies of all time and there really aren't a lot of non-catalog titles coming out in April that I want.

SaxCatz
04-01-2010, 04:56 AM
I pre-ordered it from Amazon. I usually try not to buy movies on Blu-ray that I already own on DVD, unless they're cheap ($10 or less). But, this is one of my favorite horror movies of all time...
I think I could have said EXACTLY the same thing... word for word! :)

Matt89
04-01-2010, 05:16 AM
Wow those screengrabs really do look good on the US disc. I thought the Canadian blu-ray looked fantastic, head and shoulders above the standard DVD (the transfer on the Infinifilm edition looked like shit). This truly is worth the upgrade to blu-ray. Just placed my order on amazon.

~Matt

Dobby
04-01-2010, 08:12 AM
New Line (U.S.) Blu-ray looks so fuqin superior!

Katatonia
04-01-2010, 03:24 PM
DVD Beaver comparison/review (http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare8/nightmare-on-elm-street.htm)

fceurich39
04-01-2010, 06:27 PM
here is another very positive blu-ray review http://www.dvdsleuth.com/NightmareonElmStReview/

Katatonia
04-02-2010, 02:17 AM
Yet another positive Blu-ray review: http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2361/nightmareelmstreet1984.html

Matt89
04-02-2010, 04:33 AM
Looking through the reviews, did they drop the trailer from the blu-ray release? It's a small thing, but I actually love the trailer for this movie. I hope it's still on there and the reviewers just forgot to mention it as it isn't advertised on the back of the case (axelmusic.com has a scan up already of the back). Did the Infinifilm edition include the trailer?

~Matt

Katatonia
04-02-2010, 07:19 AM
Looking through the reviews, did they drop the trailer from the blu-ray release? It's a small thing, but I actually love the trailer for this movie. I hope it's still on there and the reviewers just forgot to mention it as it isn't advertised on the back of the case (axelmusic.com has a scan up already of the back). Did the Infinifilm edition include the trailer?

~Matt

I wouldn't doubt that they did drop it. New Line/Warner are notorious for not porting over the trailers. They did the same thing with The Clash of the Titans recently.

fceurich39
04-04-2010, 01:47 AM
also another review with back cover art
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/A-Nightmare-on-Elm-Street-Blu-ray-Review/1066/

dickieduvet
04-04-2010, 11:21 AM
Watched it last night, Looks incredible. Really vibrant with plenty of pop. Can appreciate the makeup of Freddy so much more but the fire stunt at the end looks really bad now as you can really see it's an oversized mask, Padding etc...

rhett
04-04-2010, 05:20 PM

~Matt
No trailer for this or anything other film on the disc. Just that $7.50 coupon for the remake included inside the case.

fceurich39
04-04-2010, 05:24 PM
No trailer for this or anything other film on the disc. Just that $7.50 coupon for the remake included inside the case.

i'll take the $7.50 movie cash for the remake over the trailer but yeah just laziness on warner's part to not include the trailer

Craig
04-04-2010, 08:18 PM
Did they sort out the music on this Blu-Ray, as the inifilm dvd had some musical cues missing.

Also, is anyone else annoyed by the synopsis on the back of the box. Whoever wrote that sounds like they're mocking the film. Cutie McSmarty??? Her name is Nancy!! And if you want to mention the sure to be shit remake, don't do it on the coverart in the synopsis, put a sticker somewhere on the front.

New Line seem to be pissing on the original series for some reason...just look at the artwork for the new box set. It's not even Robert Englund but the remake Freddy.

Matt89
04-04-2010, 09:03 PM
OMG I just read the back cover. What the fuck is that shit?? It sounds like a joke.

~Matt

buck135
04-04-2010, 09:24 PM
OMG I just read the back cover. What the fuck is that shit?? It sounds like a joke.

~Matt

Wow. It's amazing that someone was paid to write that. It's painfully obvious that the "writer" has never seen the film.

dickieduvet
04-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Yep, The back cover is fooked up, Somebody needs firing !!!

fceurich39
04-04-2010, 09:54 PM
Did they sort out the music on this Blu-Ray, as the inifilm dvd had some musical cues missing.

Also, is anyone else annoyed by the synopsis on the back of the box. Whoever wrote that sounds like they're mocking the film. Cutie McSmarty??? Her name is Nancy!! And if you want to mention the sure to be shit remake, don't do it on the coverart in the synopsis, put a sticker somewhere on the front.

New Line seem to be pissing on the original series for some reason...just look at the artwork for the new box set. It's not even Robert Englund but the remake Freddy.

i read another review today that some cues is still missing so not sure the cues didn't bother me at all with the infinifilm dvd

Matt89
04-05-2010, 01:54 AM
Well it comes with the original mono so the sound cues will be fine on that track at least. It's surprising how these things happen though. The original DVD of Friday the 13th - The Final Chapter had the same issues, as did the restored DVD of Texas Chainsaw Massacre. However, at least with F13th and Texas Chainsaw, the music cues were fixed.

~Matt

Kolpitz
04-05-2010, 02:06 AM
Well it comes with the original mono so the sound cues will be fine on that track at least. It's surprising how these things happen though. The original DVD of Friday the 13th - The Final Chapter had the same issues, as did the restored DVD of Texas Chainsaw Massacre. However, at least with F13th and Texas Chainsaw, the music cues were fixed.

~Matt

As far as I remember, the music cues / sound effects were also missing from the "original" mono track, leading purists to believe the mono track wasn't the original track afterall, but merely a downmixed version of the new mix.

dave13
04-05-2010, 04:43 AM

~Matt

:lol:
oh man, that shit is priceless! what the fuck is a "hottie mcsmarty"? although it is nice to know that johnny depp is "ready steady" in this flick. and finally a plug for the remake at the end. amazing. this really made my day!:lol:

MorallySound
04-05-2010, 03:43 PM
That is the worst synopsis I have ever read in my entire life! 'A Nightmare on Elm Street' is an adult horror film, not a "Reading Rainbow" rhyming lesson...

When I get around to picking up the Blu-ray, I'm probably going to swap the Blu-ray disc into my Infinifilm DVD case and sell off the DVD in the Blu-ray case... I wouldn't be getting rid of that DVD case regardless because it's autographed by Wes Craven... but still, what a sad excuse to appeal to the "hippy dippy trendy-friendly teens" of today...

rhett
04-05-2010, 04:45 PM
My review:

http://horrordigital.com/viewarticle.php?articleid=827

Addresses the sound and compares between the Blu-rays.

fceurich39
04-05-2010, 07:12 PM
awesome review can't wait to get it on the 13th i still dunno why it was delayed from april 6th

spawningblue
04-05-2010, 09:00 PM
Anyone get the Blu Ray in Canada ahead of schedule? I'm curious is it comes with the Movie Money for the remake like the US release does?

fceurich39
04-23-2010, 04:41 PM
so anyone get this yet i love it though the only drawback is my disc takes awhile to load in the blu-ray player but it is awesome after it loads

Grim
04-23-2010, 04:50 PM
Had no load problems with my PS3. Super fast. The blu is awesome, though.

Katatonia
04-24-2010, 10:59 AM
Yeah, I got it from Amazon on the release date. It looks amazing in HD, far better than the jpeg screengrabs in rhett's review!

It loaded relatively fast on my Blu-ray player...no slower than other discs.