PDA

View Full Version : Worst Series for Sequels

rhett
09-18-2008, 07:46 PM
As many respectable, longstanding series as there are, for every one good series there's probably ten bad direct to video ones. Of the more high profile shit that companies have flung at us in recent years, which series of sequels sucks hardest?

fceurich39
09-18-2008, 08:16 PM
amityville horror series
mainly for part 3,the remake,dollhouse,amityville curse and new generation

now i hear a sequel to the 2005 remake is coming direct to dvd and it is supposed to be about online

DrHerbertWest
09-18-2008, 08:27 PM
I'm voting for Leprechaun because, outside of the original, it's been frustrating to try and enjoy any of the other films. Amityville Horror has had some pretty big duds too although I like Parts 2 & 3 a little bit.

maybrick
09-18-2008, 08:40 PM
THE HOWLING was a classic. The rest are garbage. PUMPKINHEAD is second. Almost all of the other series listed have at least one sequel that I enjoy on some sort of level. THE WISHMASTER, LEPRECHAUN, GHOULIES, and PUPPETMASTER may compete with THE HOWLING when it comes to bad sequels, however, the original installment in each of the series aren't very good either. As far as I'm concerned they kept the level of quality the same as they always had been: low.

fceurich39
09-18-2008, 09:46 PM
THE HOWLING was a classic. The rest are garbage. PUMPKINHEAD is second. Almost all of the other series listed have at least one sequel that I enjoy on some sort of level. THE WISHMASTER, LEPRECHAUN, GHOULIES, and PUPPETMASTER may compete with THE HOWLING when it comes to bad sequels, however, the original installment in each of the series aren't very good either. As far as I'm concerned they kept the level of quality the same as they always had been: low.

you mean you didn't like howling II:p
for me though i somewhat enjoyed howling II and III for it's awfulness but part IV and VII are two of the worst movies i have ever seen

Cujo108
09-18-2008, 09:51 PM
House. I hated the sequels. All of the other series listed (minus Saw and Witchcraft) have certain sequels that I quite enjoy on one level or another.

KamuiX
09-18-2008, 09:52 PM
Halloween...considering how awesome the original is, every sequel is a massive letdown, although part 3 is a guilty pleasure to be sure. But I couldn't care less about the other sequels that feature Mr. Meyers.

thrashard76
09-18-2008, 10:00 PM
Other than part III, I'd say the Exorcist series.

rhett
09-18-2008, 10:12 PM
House. I hated the sequels. All of the other series listed (minus Saw and Witchcraft) have certain sequels that I quite enjoy on one level or another.
Four was a piece of shit, three doesn't even really count and five has Joshua in it, but you hated The Second Story? I always had a real soft spot for that one, and I think it improves a lot on the original. Some cool effects too. Add in Lar Park Lincoln, a caterpillar dog and a dusty old corpse named Gramps, and how can you not express affection?

Mutilated Prey
09-18-2008, 10:19 PM
Wow, a lot of crap here, but I have to go with Children of the Corn. Part one was great and then all the rest are pure poop.

Anthropophagus
09-18-2008, 10:43 PM
I hate all sequels except for some of the Halloween and the Psycho sequels so I can't vote here. I actually think Amityville II:The Possession is better than the original with James Brolin though-creepier.

Bobbywoodhogan
09-18-2008, 10:49 PM
The howling, didnt even like the 1st one, yawn. The other ones are just fucking weird.

onebyone
09-18-2008, 11:11 PM
Another vote for The Howling. I don't really like the first, but after that, wow they are just horrible. Nothing redeeming about the whole series for me.

j tea
09-18-2008, 11:20 PM
Wow, a lot of crap here, but I have to go with Children of the Corn. Part one was great and then all the rest are pure poop.

i decided to go with children, although i havent seen the sequels, if you say they are bad but you thought the first one was great, then the rest must be terrible. or maybe, logically, since i differ in my opinion of the first one with you, the rest must be masterpieces... shit.

the end of the original is terrible where he just knocks out the kids. jc, if it was that easy to stop them why didnt he just do that to all the other kids and save us some time.

Katatonia
09-18-2008, 11:34 PM
I always found Children of the Corn sequels to be quite asinine. I just never cared too much for them personally. But don't get me wrong, I didn't absolutely hate them either. I just think the basic "Corn" canon of the series turned incredibly bland after the original. Children of the Artichokes might have been superior. :D

satans-sadists
09-19-2008, 12:12 AM
Many worthy contenders here, but I think The Howling consistently set the highest standards for worst genre sequels.

Cujo108
09-19-2008, 12:14 AM
Four was a piece of shit, three doesn't even really count and five has Joshua in it, but you hated The Second Story? I always had a real soft spot for that one, and I think it improves a lot on the original. Some cool effects too. Add in Lar Park Lincoln, a caterpillar dog and a dusty old corpse named Gramps, and how can you not express affection?

Haha, I actually hated The Second Story worst of all. It's been so long since I've seen it, however, that I didn't even recall Lar Park Lincoln being in it until I saw it listed under her name on a convention advertisement. Since it came as a freebie with the first one, I suppose I should give it another shot. Not looking forward to it though. :D

rhett
09-19-2008, 12:18 AM
Haha, I actually hated The Second Story worst of all. It's been so long since I've seen it, however, that I didn't even recall Lar Park Lincoln being in it until I saw it listed under her name on a convention advertisement. Since it came as a freebie with the first one, I suppose I should give it another shot. Not looking forward to it though. :D
Give it a shot, man, you might just like it. It's got some cool effects by Chris Walas, too.

Mutilated Prey
09-19-2008, 03:51 AM
i decided to go with children, although i havent seen the sequels, if you say they are bad but you thought the first one was great, then the rest must be terrible. or maybe, logically, since i differ in my opinion of the first one with you, the rest must be masterpieces... shit.

the end of the original is terrible where he just knocks out the kids. jc, if it was that easy to stop them why didnt he just do that to all the other kids and save us some time.

Well, yeah, the ending wasn't superb, but the overall movie I enjoyed quite a bit. I love the initial take down of all the adults, and the demise of the Auto Body Shop man. If you think the sequels are masterpieces then we might have to start a poll on whether you should get banned from this site :lol:

eric_angelus
09-19-2008, 05:30 AM
Movies come no worse than Howling VII-New Moon Rising...so that series gets my vote. I kinda liked some of the other sequels in the series...bad as they were, but on the whole Howling II-VII are such a tremendous dip in quality from the original...more so I think than all others.

indrid13
09-19-2008, 06:01 AM
Children of the Corn.

X-human
09-19-2008, 06:10 AM
You can put together a pretty piss poor series for NotLD:

Night of the Living Dead: 30th Anniversary Edition (1997)
FleshEater (1988)
Children of the Living Dead (2001)
Night of the Living Dead 3D (2006)

It's a given that Escape of the Living Dead will be crap if that ever gets made.

Mark Relford
09-19-2008, 06:33 AM
The Howling sequels. Loved the first two in the series. The rest were boring crap. (At least "Your Sister is a Werewolf" had some fun trashiness going for it.) New Moon Rising killed the series for good. Fuckin' Hee Haw.

Angelman
09-19-2008, 08:46 AM
I'm telling you all right now, the Howling sequels have got to be the worst, I watched all 7 howling films and by Howling: New Moon Rising (part 7) I was suicidal. That movie is horrendous.

KR~!
09-19-2008, 12:25 PM
The Howling! I loved the 1st film and it all goes to hell after that.

DVD-fanatic-9
09-19-2008, 07:25 PM
Haven't seen any of the sequels for: Witchcraft, Fulci's Zombie, Wishmaster, or Pumpkinhead, but out of all those other series it came down to either Saw or Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Since I haven't seen Saw's III or IV, I have to go with TCM. I haven't seen Part III yet, but parts 2 and IV were absolutely rancid, as are the remake and the prequel. So, which one does more damage? TCM.

MacReady
09-19-2008, 09:33 PM
Jaws: Great
Jaws 2: Good
Jaws 3: OK
Jaws 4: Ice pick to eyeballs

rhett
09-20-2008, 12:54 AM
I picked Witchcraft based on sheer volume.

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/6296/mv5botaznzi2mdu5nl5bml5lg3.jpg

Okay, so they are on their thirteenth film now...who's counting? Soft core hath no shame.

indiephantom
09-20-2008, 03:16 AM
SAW. I really enjoyed the first film, but II and III were just awful. Haven't bothered with 4 yet.

As bad as some of the sequels to Howling, Hellraiser, etc. are...there is far more entertainment to be had in those.

Coverdale
09-20-2008, 06:14 AM
I picked the Leprechauns. "In The 'Hood?" plus didn't he go BACK to the 'hood!?!

Amityville II was dope! Part III was stupid, though...

I like ALL the Halloweens...some more than others, but even some of the lesser entries (like VI) have their moments.

I think that if Halloween III had been released just as "Season of the Witch," without any mention of Halloween, it would be regarded today as a minor classic. Which I guess some people already do...

Bobbywoodhogan
09-20-2008, 10:31 AM

Ha ha ha, id have said 2 was OK and 3 was awful :p

Rocker416
09-21-2008, 04:19 AM
Here's yet another vote for the Howling sequels........for all the previously mentioned reasons........and more!

MorallySound
09-21-2008, 06:53 PM
The Howling series. The first one is decent, but the sequels are all unbearable.

rhett
09-21-2008, 10:38 PM
Man, how can there be so much collective hatred against HOWLING 2? There is a montage. About boobies. During the end credits. And Christopher Lee with raybans. What more were you guys expecting?

thompsonjohn
09-21-2008, 11:58 PM
Howling II is better than the first. Get with it people.

Matt89
09-22-2008, 01:14 AM

LOL, yeah and STILL I own all of them. I'm a sucker for Jaws movies. But there is a reason I own them all. Jaws is one of the greatest movies ever made, Jaws 2 is a worthy sequel to the original, Jaws 3 is a guilty pleasure and Jaws 4 was $5.99.

Worst series, though? IMO...Leprechaun. The FIRST one wasn't even good in that series. Started out horrible, and SOMEHOW got so much worse. (I don't know HOW they managed that.)

~Matt

j tea
09-22-2008, 05:40 AM
If you think the sequels are masterpieces then we might have to start a poll on whether you should get banned from this site

sounds like a fun poll! :fire:

Vlachio
09-22-2008, 08:03 AM
Silent Night, Deadly Night sequels garbage, garbage, garbage!!!!!

zompirejoe
09-22-2008, 02:37 PM
Children of the Corn sequels are the worst by far.Thay are like a big steaming pile of poop, with corn in it.

Rockmjd
09-22-2008, 03:06 PM
Silent Night, Deadly Night sequels garbage, garbage, garbage!!!!!
Garbage Day?

Mutilated Prey
09-22-2008, 04:34 PM
Children of the Corn sequels are the worst by far.Thay are like a big steaming pile of poop, with corn in it.

:lol: PEW GUY!

shithead
09-22-2008, 11:26 PM
Leprechaun, they all suck even the first.

maskull
09-27-2008, 05:16 PM
There's a lot of movies on that list that I love the sequels almost as much as the original, there's some that the original sux and the sequels suck, and there's some that I prefer the sequels to the original (Amityville, Children Of The Corn, Saw). But for a series of really crappy sequels, full of people I want to slap, Return Of The Living Dead gets the prize. The original isn't exactly the best movie in the world, but it's fun enough but damn they should've quit while they were ahead.

Edit: Actually I like part 3 quite a bit. The rest are pretty much crap though.