PDA

View Full Version : good cheap HDMI cable recommendations

shithead
09-22-2008, 01:31 AM
I've seen HDMI cables that go for up to 60 bucks, is there a difference between those and the ones that cost...5 or 10 bucks?

Any good cheap HDMI cable i should get?

Grim
09-22-2008, 01:47 AM
I've seen HDMI cables that go for up to 60 bucks, is there a difference between those and the ones that cost...5 or 10 bucks?

Any good cheap HDMI cable i should get?

If it's like $5 or $10, it's a piece of shit. The ones I have are RCA and Phillips. Both were $40 for 6 foot cables. They're doing just fine right now, but I do plan on eventually getting some of them Monster Cables that would run me between $100-$150. But yeah, stick with stuff that's at least around $30 or $40. And stick with the brands you know.

eric_angelus
09-22-2008, 02:01 AM
Check out monoprice.com...I got dirt cheap HDMI cables there and have been using them over a year now...and the picture/sound quality blows me away. Cables are one of the biggest scams in the A/V industry. I am not saying to buy the cheapest thing you can find...but you don't need monster cables either. The retail mark-up on those is INSANE.

marcx
09-22-2008, 02:05 AM
Monoprice is excellent--great prices and quality...

By the way HDMI cables either work or don't--it's a digital conenction so it's not like a component cable...no reason to invest in Monster, etc...

shithead
09-22-2008, 02:14 AM
Check out monoprice.com...I got dirt cheap HDMI cables there and have been using them over a year now...and the picture/sound quality blows me away. Cables are one of the biggest scams in the A/V industry. I am not saying to buy the cheapest thing you can find...but you don't need monster cables either. The retail mark-up on those is INSANE.

How much did you end up paying for yours?

eric_angelus
09-22-2008, 02:21 AM
I bought two...and the more you buy the cheaper they are...I believe I spent about $17 apiece for them.

shithead
09-22-2008, 02:30 AM
Would i be a fool to buy the $1.69 cables on Amazon?:lol:

The custumer ratings are high.

Grim
09-22-2008, 02:37 AM

Well retail mark-up wouldn't be a problem for me. I have a few friends who work at electronics stores and get them for basically the price that the store pays. Although friend of mine said that he could tell no difference so that's why I haven't bought any new ones yet. I have been very pleased with the ones I have, so I still stand by what I said about sticking with brands you know.

X-human
09-22-2008, 02:55 AM
Would i be a fool to buy the $1.69 cables on Amazon?:lol:

The custumer ratings are high.

HDMI is digital, so either it'll work or it won't. It's not like analog which can be affected by really poor quality cables.

I buy two dollar cables online all the time.

Monoprice.com is great too. Although one of their mini-to-RCA cables just stopped working for me the other week. (don't know why, it looks fine) Luckily at that price I bought a spare.

Jason25
09-22-2008, 03:35 AM
HDMI is digital, so either it'll work or it won't. It's not like analog which can be affected by really poor quality cables.

I buy two dollar cables online all the time.

Monoprice.com is great too. Although one of their mini-to-RCA cables just stopped working for me the other week. (don't know why, it looks fine) Luckily at that price I bought a spare.

I've purchased alot of monoprice and I've had 2 cables and a HDMI switcher go bad. I have purchased alot, so I'm not too upset, but their failure rate for me is somewhat higher than I would like. I would still buy from them, but I would probably order a higher gauge cable next time. I do really like their banana plugs. I have purchased them for all of my speakers and receivers.

I have also purchased from Blue Jeans Cable, very reliable, in fact not one problem to date with any of their products.

I would never buy name brand cable, a complete waste of money. I can't believe how many idiots support these overpriced companies (monster cable).

Ash28M
09-22-2008, 04:37 AM
It's been tested and proven that picture wise all hdmi cables are the same at any price. You may get somewhat better durability with the higher priced ones but that's about it. I feel bad when my fiends tell me they bought cables at Best Buy and paid a stupid amount.

shithead
09-22-2008, 04:54 AM
Well looks like the 2 dollar cables are calling my name then, thanks everyone.

Reverenddave
09-22-2008, 05:55 AM
Another recommendation for Monoprice. I think the 6-foot cables are around $7-$8 shipped. Also got my HDMI switchers there. No problems so far. When it comes to HDMI cables/switches, I wouldn't waste money on retail prices or brand names.

KR~!
09-22-2008, 11:44 AM
I've purchased alot of monoprice and I've had 2 cables and a HDMI switcher go bad. I have purchased alot, so I'm not too upset, but their failure rate for me is somewhat higher than I would like. I would still buy from them, but I would probably order a higher gauge cable next time. I do really like their banana plugs. I have purchased them for all of my speakers and receivers.

I have also purchased from Blue Jeans Cable, very reliable, in fact not one problem to date with any of their products.

I would never buy name brand cable, a complete waste of money. I can't believe how many idiots support these overpriced companies (monster cable).

Blue Jeans Cable is the best! Monster Cable doesn't suck per say it is just extremely overpriced, since you can buy much better cables for less.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/

Shannafey
09-22-2008, 01:19 PM
I'm going to say the same thing as everyone else! I refuse to pay a ridiculous amount for a cable. I got my first one from Amazon for around $8 and it works fine. That was about a year and a half ago. I just got an HD DVR and forgot to order an HDMI cable in advance, so I ran over to Sam's club and got a 12' one for $20 and it works great as well! That was the cheapest one I could find in a retail store.

maybrick
09-22-2008, 01:46 PM
There's something I'm unclear on. Can you use HDMI in conjunction with a separate optical cable running out to a home theater system?

YottNik
09-22-2008, 02:36 PM
Can you use HDMI in conjunction with a separate optical cable running out to a home theater system?
Yes. That's how I have mine set up.

YottNik
09-22-2008, 02:38 PM
Yet another monoprice fan here. I've been using one of their cheapie HDMI cable for a couple of years with no problems.

maybrick
09-22-2008, 03:13 PM
Yes. That's how I have mine set up.

Cool. I had read about some people having problems with that.

Grim
09-22-2008, 03:36 PM
There's something I'm unclear on. Can you use HDMI in conjunction with a separate optical cable running out to a home theater system?

That's what I plan to do once I get a new home theater system.

YottNik
09-22-2008, 03:45 PM
I thought hdmi was video only anyway so you'd have to have a separate audio connection.

*** I think.

Reverenddave
09-22-2008, 03:51 PM
I thought hdmi was video only anyway so you'd have to have a separate audio connection.

*** I think.

HDMI is both video and audio.

YottNik
09-22-2008, 04:01 PM
HDMI is both video and audio.
I stand corrected. Thanks.

Shannafey
09-22-2008, 04:04 PM
I have my components hooked up to the TV with HDMI and have a digital audio cable coming out of the TV into my surround receiver.