PDA

View Full Version : What made you go High-def?

Matt89
09-24-2008, 06:20 PM
I thought this would make for an interesting topic. For those of you who have made the transition over to blu-ray/HD-DVD (even though it's dead), what initially convinced you to make the transition to high definition? Or, was there a certain title that made you go high definition?

For me, honestly...The Searchers did it. The comparisons over at DVDbeaver.com between the standard def edition and the blu-ray of The Searchers convinced me how much better high definition looked. (And for a film from 1956? My God. I'd compare it to recent films on blu-ray it looks so good.) So, I guess for me it was a bunch of blu-ray reviews over at DVDbeaver, the review for The Searchers in particular.

I remember telling myself, "Yeah I'll only get a few movies on blu-ray." But, I find that now I'm getting almost EVERY new movie I buy on blu-ray. It just looks so much better, such a noticeable difference (about 98% of the time) over an upscaled 480p DVD. Some upscaled DVDs DO actually look fantastic, but it's a hit-or-miss most of the time.

~Matt

Dave
09-24-2008, 06:44 PM
An HD-DVD addon drive at Best Buy for $50. I was hoping to get the free movies but Toshiba porked me on that, but I suspect as much going in.

I did have streaming HD available on my Xbox, too, so I had it even prior to HD-DVD.

I now have it on my satellite, too, though I don't have all the packages.

I love hi-def. But honestly, hi-def really shows its beauty for live broadcasts. I watched the Celtics win it all in high def and man was that a gorgeous picture. And now I'm a NESN HD addict, as this is the time of the year I start to watch the Sox play (when it actually matters if they are in first or not). Film can look great in HD but the live broadcasts are just beautiful, which is no doubt due to the lack of film. Newer movies, on the other hand, tend to look just as gorgeous.

Reverenddave
09-24-2008, 07:08 PM
Last summer there was a sale on Toshiba HD-DVD Players for $199. At the time, most HD-DVD Players were around $300+ and Blu-Ray players were around $500+. Plus there were all those Buy 1 Get 1 Free movie sales, and the 5 Free HD-DVD mail-in offer. So I quickly jumped on the deal.

A few weeks later Amazon had a sale on PS3 for around $400 with 3 free Blu-Rays instantly and a 5 Free mail-in offer. There were tons of Buy 1 Get One Free sales. Plus, Ratchet & Clank was coming out in a month or two. So I went Blu-Ray.

But I think the biggest factor was the Format War software sales. All those cheap movies and mail-in offers. It just made sense at the time. And I've got a huge HD collection now.

Today, I'd probably be more reluctant to make the plunge. Most movies are too expensive, sales are usually lame, and I don't see any real indication that it'll change in the near future.

geeare
09-24-2008, 07:08 PM
now see I find the live broadcasts to look very nice on HDTV but when it comes to blu-ray nothing can touch it IMO. I got the sweet 120hz thing going on with my XBR and that only enhances everything even more. I love it. As for what caused me to switch I guess it's just because me and my bride like to keep up with the technology and that was the next thing. the only reason I went blu-ray instead of HD-DVD was because we went to buy a console for my bride so she could play Dance Dance Revolution. When I went to the store I had all intensions of getting an xbox360 but when the guy said the playstation network was free and it played Blu-ray then I was sold. First Blu i watched was The Reaping, not a great movie but it looks fantastic. The old films are awesome. I bought The Omega Man and it looks like it was made around the same time as I Am Legend (with the exception of the clothing styles, cars etc.)

SaviniFan
09-24-2008, 07:10 PM
I made the jump late last year when Walmart had a pre-black Friday sale on Toshiba HD-DVD players for $99. Once the format died I decided to buy a PS3 and haven't looked back. I don't buy a lot of blu-ray movies yet as the prices are still a bit steep, but boy they sure look purdy on my 1080p HDTV.

Mutilated Prey
09-24-2008, 07:42 PM
A few weeks later Amazon had a sale on PS3 for around $400 with 3 free Blu-Rays instantly and a 5 Free mail-in offer.

Same here - I had my 50" plasma for just about a year, and decided it was time for me to upgrade to a PS3. I purposely skipped the PS2 because the PS3 talk started so soon after the PS2 was released. The Blu-Ray technology made it an easy sell for me. Sports (STILLERS!) is what I really like about HD overall though.

dwatts
09-24-2008, 08:02 PM
Simple. If I'm spending money on movies, I want the biggest bang for my buck. It's all about value, and longevity. Why buy inferior quality?

Horrorphilly
09-24-2008, 08:11 PM
Well Im not full HD yet but I do have a Sharp Arquos HDTV and I love it and I plan on buying a OPPO upscaling dvd player.My reason for upgrading was because my standard tv died and I wanted a 32in or bigger and widescreen.So HD was my only option.

Sean

X-human
09-24-2008, 08:29 PM
I want to see my movies as close to a film like presentation as possible. For me movies aren't something to do while eating popcorn. So it's all about trying to capture the essence of what's on film as best I can. That's why I bought D-VHS even when I knew it was a flop.

I've been buying DVDs with Blu-ray in mind since about 2000 when it was originally making the press through George Lucas. So I never bought The Matrix on SD-DVD for example.

That's why it's distressing for me to see grain removal and DNR becoming so prevalent. For me, grain is exactly what I put my money down for. It's what I want to see. Frankly people like Dave are the problem.

geeare
09-24-2008, 08:36 PM
That's why it's distressing for me to see grain removal and DNR becoming so prevalent. For me, grain is exactly what I put my money down for. It's what I want to see. Frankly people like Dave are the problem.

then I'm part of the problem as well. get rid of all the grain i say. I was kinda put off when I was watching my brand new Transformers blu-ray and I got to the bedroom scene when the kid is looking for his backpack. when the parents come in the room there is a couple of shots of his mom that are very grainy and it pissed me off. oh well, can't have it all I guess, haha. I spent alot of money so i wouldn't have to look at that.

dwatts
09-24-2008, 08:43 PM
Huh? Two much playing on games consoles, imo.

So suddenly, film isn't good enough? :lol:

skinnypuppy
09-24-2008, 08:58 PM
I haven't upgraded to a Blu-ray player yet, but I think the new Texas Chainsaw bluray will sucker me into buying one. The screen shots from that look incredible!

I never bought the Dark Sky DVD version, so why not start there.

Mutilated Prey
09-24-2008, 09:17 PM
then I'm part of the problem as well. get rid of all the grain i say. I was kinda put off when I was watching my brand new Transformers blu-ray and I got to the bedroom scene when the kid is looking for his backpack. when the parents come in the room there is a couple of shots of his mom that are very grainy and it pissed me off. oh well, can't have it all I guess, haha. I spent alot of money so i wouldn't have to look at that.

I'm so conditioned by 70's and 80's vhs horror flicks that never made it to DVD that a little grain really doesn't bother me in the least.

Grim
09-24-2008, 10:48 PM
now see I find the live broadcasts to look very nice on HDTV but when it comes to blu-ray nothing can touch it IMO. I got the sweet 120hz thing going on with my XBR and that only enhances everything even more. I love it. As for what caused me to switch I guess it's just because me and my bride like to keep up with the technology and that was the next thing. the only reason I went blu-ray instead of HD-DVD was because we went to buy a console for my bride so she could play Dance Dance Revolution. When I went to the store I had all intensions of getting an xbox360 but when the guy said the playstation network was free and it played Blu-ray then I was sold. First Blu i watched was The Reaping, not a great movie but it looks fantastic. The old films are awesome. I bought The Omega Man and it looks like it was made around the same time as I Am Legend (with the exception of the clothing styles, cars etc.)

I hate the 120hz feature on HDTV's. I think it just makes films look odd, like they were shot on video or something. I always leave it off. I more or less turn off all those features on my set that "improve" the picture quality. Keep it natural if you ask me.

As for what sold me on HD, I originally bought the HD drive for the 360 because I absolutely wanted An American Werewolf in London, The Thing, and other horror titles in high definition. Then the first four Anchor Bay horror titles caused me to jump ship to blu-ray. A few months later HD-DVD died so now I'm blu exclusive and basically hold off on anything that's not released on blu-ray immediately. I'm also slowly but surely replacing each of my HD-DVD's, but at a snail's pace. I'm in no rush.

Matt89
09-24-2008, 11:12 PM
then I'm part of the problem as well. get rid of all the grain i say.

Well, grain is natural to film. It's not like grain is print damage. It's just there. DNR-ing movies makes them look funny. There's this weird softness it adds to a movie. I don't know how to explain it, but DNR just makes everything look weird. Too "digital", maybe.

~Matt

old-boo-radley
09-24-2008, 11:20 PM
I wanted a bigger TV.

Beastus
09-25-2008, 11:02 AM
I made the jump as soon as the first Toshiba HD DVD player became available in April or May 2006. No title in particular, just wanted hi-def on disc.

geeare
09-25-2008, 05:09 PM
Well, grain is natural to film. It's not like grain is print damage. It's just there. DNR-ing movies makes them look funny. There's this weird softness it adds to a movie. I don't know how to explain it, but DNR just makes everything look weird. Too "digital", maybe.

~Matt

I know what yopur saying but I just think if they are gonna go all the way then they might as well make it look as best as they can. That scene in Transformers just stood out too much for me, it looked like it was an edit that they put back in the film. Am I tho only guy that noticed this?

Matt89
09-25-2008, 05:41 PM
I know what yopur saying but I just think if they are gonna go all the way then they might as well make it look as best as they can. That scene in Transformers just stood out too much for me, it looked like it was an edit that they put back in the film. Am I tho only guy that noticed this?

LOL but DNR doesn't look better, it makes the movie look WORSE. If they're gonna go all the way, I don't understand why they'd put effort into making the movie look worse. :confused:

~Matt

geeare
09-25-2008, 07:13 PM
LOL but DNR doesn't look better, it makes the movie look WORSE. If they're gonna go all the way, I don't understand why they'd put effort into making the movie look worse. :confused:

~Matt

whether it looks better or worse is up to the person viewing not up to you for me or me for you.

KamuiX
09-25-2008, 08:34 PM
I got into HD when I got my 360...I refused to buy one until I had the money to get an HDTV. I wasn't so into getting into HD-DVD/Blu-Ray then, as I only had a 720p TV. A year later, I upgraded to a 1080p TV and got a PS3, and that's of course when I jumped into the Blu-Ray game.

As for the grain removal controversy, for me it doesn't much matter, it just needs to be consistent in the film I'm watching. If you're going to do it, get rid of it in EVERY SCENE. For instance, the Deliverance Blu-Ray to me is a mixed bag as at points, there's no grain at all, making the film look like it was made recently, and then it'll go to a scene that's grainy as hell. That to me is far more distracting than if the film is grainy or not throughout.

geeare
09-26-2008, 12:14 PM
I got into HD when I got my 360...I refused to buy one until I had the money to get an HDTV. I wasn't so into getting into HD-DVD/Blu-Ray then, as I only had a 720p TV. A year later, I upgraded to a 1080p TV and got a PS3, and that's of course when I jumped into the Blu-Ray game.

As for the grain removal controversy, for me it doesn't much matter, it just needs to be consistent in the film I'm watching. If you're going to do it, get rid of it in EVERY SCENE. For instance, the Deliverance Blu-Ray to me is a mixed bag as at points, there's no grain at all, making the film look like it was made recently, and then it'll go to a scene that's grainy as hell. That to me is far more distracting than if the film is grainy or not throughout.

ya that's kinda my point. as long as their is consistancey. and I realize there are different cameras used with different lenses and different film for diffenet scenes. I also want to point out that I don't want them to blend the background to make it fuzzy either, so if sharpness = grain and they cannot make it look sharp without the fuzz then leave the grain.

Shannafey
09-26-2008, 01:33 PM
I haven't yet and didn't think I cared, but I recently upgraded my cable service with a DVR and more HD stations. After watching some movies in HD, I can see enough of a difference where now I really want a Blu Ray player. I'm still going to wait until around Christmas time if not later, because the money isn't there!

Mok
09-26-2008, 03:45 PM
I've got an HDTV but no HD/Blu-Ray player. The reason I went HD was for Video games and WWE HD broadcasts. :p

X-human
09-26-2008, 04:13 PM
whether it looks better or worse is up to the person viewing not up to you for me or me for you.

It's up to the director, and Michael Bay officially stated that the Blu-ray is his preferred version. Grainy shot and all. ;)

The Chaostar
09-26-2008, 07:14 PM

The thing is that, being a movie fan and all, you have to accept grain as an aesthetic choice too. It's not always a problem or a fault of the film. It is a choice.

It is like saying that you'd prefer the blood in Deep Red more... bloody that, you know, fake. It looks very much like stage blood. But then, the film is so theatrical in it's structure, that you accept it as an aesthetic choice - and it is very much that.

Likewise, when you know the kind of budget Bay has, you know that when you see grain it's because Bay wants you too. If you like it or not, it's up to you, but the correct way to see a film - any film - is as the director intended.

Grain in films shot in 16mm will have to look grainy in order not to look like shit because it is not dirt. It is not a result of bad photography. It is IT.

Now, dirt which results in grain is a whole other issue...

Mok
09-26-2008, 07:59 PM
Whether the director wanted the film to look like a camcorder filmed or not, I have personal preference as a viewer to what I think looks better. We're at a point now where "clearer" isn't always better.

geeare
09-26-2008, 08:46 PM
It's up to the director, and Michael Bay officially stated that the Blu-ray is his preferred version. Grainy shot and all. ;)

no, i could care less what the director thinks. what I like is what I like and he can't change that....all I'm sayin, lol. if his grain looks bad to me there is nothing he can do to make me like it. so i go back to my original statement but alter it a bit . . .

"whether it looks better or worse is up to the person viewing not up to the director for me or me for the director."

he is making the film the way he thinks look best. what if that director thought the movie would look best if it was shot a little out of focus. I would think it would look much better if it was in focus. Point I am making goes back to the old saying of opinions being like . . . . well you know.

X-human
09-26-2008, 09:07 PM
Well if we're talking opinions then the whole film is a bloated piece of shit so who cares if there's a grainy shot in it? Not like making that shot less grainy would make Transformers much better than your mom's used tampon.

I pretty much just take a "it is what it is" approach. I'm not going to keep a puke bucket next to my chair because "if I see edge enhancement one more time I'm going to puke." There are countless fuck ups in any movie, grain is hardly a deal breaker.

Grim
09-27-2008, 08:13 AM
no, i could care less what the director thinks. what I like is what I like and he can't change that....all I'm sayin, lol. if his grain looks bad to me there is nothing he can do to make me like it. so i go back to my original statement but alter it a bit . . .

"whether it looks better or worse is up to the person viewing not up to the director for me or me for the director."

he is making the film the way he thinks look best. what if that director thought the movie would look best if it was shot a little out of focus. I would think it would look much better if it was in focus. Point I am making goes back to the old saying of opinions being like . . . . well you know.

So with your logic, the director's intention for the visuals is irrelevant. The mass public should be able to chose how they want the film to look?

AndiOne
09-30-2008, 10:47 AM
I bought my first Projector in 2004 and used it with my
dvdplyer and got EDTV 576p, after that i could`nt go back to a TVset.
My screen was and still is 90"

In late 2006 I bought an new HD Ready projector and started to watch
movies in 720p. Late 2007 i bought an internal HD-DVD drive to my computer
and what a picture compared to my upscaled dvd`s!
Just before new years eve i bought an Blu-Ray plaer and litle after that
an HD-DVDplayer.

Late august 2008 i bought my third Projector.
An Full HD Panasonoic PT-AE2000
So nowadays i can watch my 110+ hd-dvds and 40+ BD`s in 1080/24p on an
90" screen.