PDA

View Full Version : The Pain Of An HD DVD Early Adopter

Regurgitate
09-29-2008, 02:00 AM
As I sit here staring at 22 HD DVDs I wonder how many other horrorDVDers are sitting in the same predicament. I have no one to blame but myself but I still can't help but feel a little cheated. I mean here I am, trying to support a new technology so that the unwitting masses can benefit and I am basically stuck with worthless discs. I should have stuck with my original impulse that Blu Ray was going to dominate but I have far too many impulses to give any of them credence. I tried to sell them to someone from work but the cheap ass mofo only bought a few. I know I am going to re-buy the vast majority of them.

Brothers and sisters, please tell me that you are hurting too..

DeathDealer
09-29-2008, 02:49 AM
I have about 10 HD titles.

Grim
09-29-2008, 03:00 AM
I have about 18, I'll eventually rebuy each on blu-ray as I see good deals on them and as they get released for the simple reason that I don't feel like having all these different formats and machines lying around my room. It sucks, but whatever, I knew what I was getting into.

SaviniFan
09-29-2008, 03:05 AM
I managed to offload my HD-DVD player and discs before the format was widely known as dead. I would have preferred that format to have won, but blu will do just fine.

rhett
09-29-2008, 03:05 AM
I invested in two multi-format HD players, so if the case is blue or red it's all the same to me. If anyone's looking to dump their HD DVDs, send a message my way!

On a side note - it still saddens me that the format died. At this age of online buying, there really should not be any more region restrictions on films. :(

Jason25
09-29-2008, 03:27 AM
About 90 here.

I really was hoping for a blu victory but I was impatient and I had to have some Universal titles in HD. I also bought quite a few import HD-DVD titles, but have no regrets. Shit happens and life is too short to spend worrying or getting upset at what really amounts to something trivial in my life. There are much more important decisions we all face on a daily basis. Not a concern at all for me.

Vlachio
09-29-2008, 03:54 AM
As I sit here staring at 22 HD DVDs I wonder how many other horrorDVDers are sitting in the same predicament. I have no one to blame but myself but I still can't help but feel a little cheated. I mean here I am, trying to support a new technology so that the unwitting masses can benefit and I am basically stuck with worthless discs. I should have stuck with my original impulse that Blu Ray was going to dominate but I have far too many impulses to give any of them credence. I tried to sell them to someone from work but the cheap ass mofo only bought a few. I know I am going to re-buy the vast majority of them.

Brothers and sisters, please tell me that you are hurting too..

Awwwwwwwwwwww (((((verbal hug4u))))) you poor poor baby. Hell yeah you got cheated totally! So glad I didn't invest any money into this. All I have is one bluray DVD and that's it. Eventually they are going to make laptops with BR capability. So that's where and when I will watch it. I'm not much of TV person at all. I don't need a 60 inch TV set to say to myself God DAMN!!!!! My parents have a huge HDTV in the den downstairs and I hardly ever watch it. I just want a nice sweet laptop for me. I plan on buying on down the road.

I'm about ready to donate my PC cause it's too old and out of date. So anyway I wouldn't be surprised if BR shits the bed too eventually. I think the average Joe Blow is not going to upgrade. Every single person I know is perfectly happy with regulars DVDs. So who knows what will happen? Hey Regurgitate if it makes you feel better I can always kick you in the shin. :cool: You all wanna know what really sucks? Somewhere there is some asshole with a big ass wad of cash in they're wallet from all the money they made off your asses. Now that makes me very mad! :mad:

Vlachio
09-29-2008, 03:56 AM
I invested in two multi-format HD players, so if the case is blue or red it's all the same to me. If anyone's looking to dump their HD DVDs, send a message my way!

On a side note - it still saddens me that the format died. At this age of online buying, there really should not be any more region restrictions on films. :(

Ya thats what I would do also if I were in your shoes. Those multiformat HD players are hella nice! Oh and turn that frown upside down young man!!!!

Matt89
09-29-2008, 07:06 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if BR shits the bed too eventually. I think the average Joe Blow is not going to upgrade. Every single person I know is perfectly happy with regulars DVDs.

That is until you actually DO go HD. I thought the same thing until I finally caved, bought a PS3 and got a few blu rays. (I mean, why NOT take advantage of my HDTV?) The difference can be mind-blowing. It's not just sharpness, it's depth, color reproduction, proper color timing, brightness, smooth flow of the image, movies in true 23.976 fps... Sure, some DVDs look good when upscaled but a majority still look like total crap. Still, there's no comparison between an upscaled DVD and an actual HD source.

But what's best about HD is that we finally have something better than NTSC, which was never good with color to begin with. PAL had better color, but it played movies one frame too fast, resulting in a shorter running time and audio that sounded sped-up and about a half-semitone higher than NTSC versions. HD is definitely the way to go. With more and more films coming out on HD, I really don't think it'll kick the bucket ANY TIME soon. It's gonna be around for a while.

~Matt

AndiOne
09-29-2008, 07:20 AM
I have 110+ hd-dvd`s and still going for them.

Reverenddave
09-29-2008, 08:02 AM
I don't regret it. I jumped into both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray knowing that eventually one of them would die. It happened about a year sooner than I expected, but no big deal.

I've got about 100 HD-DVDs in my collection. They're not worthless at all. I watch them all the time. And I intend to keep watching them for a couple years. Plus, many haven't been released on Blu-Ray yet. I know that eventually everything will get a BR release. But until then, I'll enjoy the HD-DVDs.

Because of the awesome format war sales, my per-disc average was probably around $10 each. When I find good sale prices, I'll often "upgrade" my favorite movies to Blu-Ray. And I'm still able to sell off the HD-DVD discs for an average of $8 each on eBay. So the total loss is maybe $2-$3 on a movie I've gotten to watch once or twice.

Plus, if you look around, there are some great HD-DVD sales these days. You can pick up new discs for around $5. Given a choice between buying a movie on Blu-Ray for $20, and getting the same movie on HD-DVD for $5, I'll take the HD-DVD.

AndiOne
09-29-2008, 09:01 AM
Excuse me for a couple of re-posts.
The forum have not been working good for me today

dwatts
09-29-2008, 11:12 AM
Eventually they are going to make laptops with BR capability. So that's where and when I will watch it.

This has been out there for ages....... I've had one for over a year. :D

KR~!
09-29-2008, 11:35 AM
This has been out there for ages....... I've had one for over a year. :D

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=40000032&Description=blu%20ray&name=Laptops%20%2f%20Notebooks

you can also get Blu-Ray drives for your PC for $99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=40000598&Description=blu%20ray&bop=And&Order=PRICE

dwatts
09-29-2008, 11:41 AM
Of course, if you're watching on a laptop screen you might as well stick with DVD. But that's beside the point. :D

AndiOne
09-29-2008, 12:14 PM
The laptops with BD-player also have HDMI/DVI-outputs of course!

Vlachio
09-29-2008, 12:53 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=40000032&Description=blu%20ray&name=Laptops%20%2f%20Notebooks

you can also get Blu-Ray drives for your PC for $99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=40000598&Description=blu%20ray&bop=And&Order=PRICE

Awesome thank you for the info! Have any of you ever bought from that web site???

AndiOne
09-29-2008, 12:57 PM
One of the pro`s with an BD-player in a computer is that it easy to make it region free

Reverenddave
09-29-2008, 02:02 PM
Awesome thank you for the info! Have any of you ever bought from that web site???

Newegg is widely regarded as one of the best online stores for computer supplies. They often have the best prices and shipping is super fast.

http://www.bizrate.com/ratings_guide/cust_reviews__mid--28697.html

Dave
09-29-2008, 02:43 PM
Ummm, how are they worthless again? Did the machine stop spinning discs when they announced HD-DVD was over? Did the disc themselves stop playing?

If you bought HD-DVD as an investment, you might want to consider a savings account. I guarantee a better return. Otherwise, you can still get many years of enjoyment from the format. Don't go the way of players not being available, because I can still buy a perfectly functional LD player and it's 10 years after the format was killed off.

Reverenddave
09-29-2008, 03:13 PM
Don't go the way of players not being available, because I can still buy a perfectly functional LD player and it's 10 years after the format was killed off.

You can pick-up the Xbox 360 HD-DVD players for around $30 on eBay. And even if you don't have a 360, you can use it as an external HD-DVD drive for your computer. HD-DVD collections still have a lot of life left in them.

Dave
09-29-2008, 03:51 PM
You can pick-up the Xbox 360 HD-DVD players for around $30 on eBay. And even if you don't have a 360, you can use it as an external HD-DVD drive for your computer. HD-DVD collections still have a lot of life left in them.

Yes! Exactly! Silly people. I see people on HighDefDigest buying two or three HD-DVD players as backups. Nonsense. They will be available for a looooong time, just as LD players are.

maybrick
09-29-2008, 04:26 PM
They will be available for a looooong time, just as LD players are.

But laserdiscs were a viable format for roughly 2 decades. While you're probably right about people being able to find HD-DVD players in bargain basements for years to come I think in the end they'll become much scarcer than LD players. HD-DVD was simply not around for long enough.

As far as blu-ray goes, I have an HD set, but I'm not even close to being tempted into upgrading. Players will have to become dirt cheap and region hackable before I dip.

geeare
09-29-2008, 04:37 PM
I don't have any HD-DVD titles because I went for Blu right from the start but I really don't see why you would replace these titles you already have. You have the player for them so why get rid of them? It's not like the Blu titles are better quality, visually anyway. I don't know anything about audio on HD-DVD titles but I have heard that the video transfers are the same on some of the discussions I've read. Anyway, if I had the player when Blu took over I would have taken advantage of all the sales and would not have worried about whether they were Blu or not. Worry about that when the next gen of HD hits the market.

Reverenddave
09-29-2008, 04:58 PM
But laserdiscs were a viable format for roughly 2 decades. While you're probably right about people being able to find HD-DVD players in bargain basements for years to come I think in the end they'll become much scarcer than LD players. HD-DVD was simply not around for long enough.

On one hand I agree with you, because it makes sense that LD was around longer. However, LD was always an expensive, high-end item. I had one, but none of my friends or family did. With expensive discs and limited selection in rental stores, it was really an item for home theater fanatics.

On the other hand, before the format died, HD-DVD players were available in the $99-$150 range. I knew a couple people that had them. And at the end, you could get a new Xbox player in stores for under $50. Movies were fairly cheap. So it wasn't a big investment.

I wonder if anyone has actual figures (how many LD Players vs HD-DVD Players were made)?

Of course, you could also figure in other factors. LD players were probably built better. And LD owners probably took better care of their expensive machines. So they might last longer.

But I've got a standalone HD-DVD Player and a 360 HD-DVD drive. So hopefully I won't have to worry about it for a couple years.

KR~!
09-29-2008, 05:29 PM

It is the best known and most beloved site for all things computers. Best prices and insanely fast shipping.

Dave
09-29-2008, 07:03 PM

As far as blu-ray goes, I have an HD set, but I'm not even close to being tempted into upgrading. Players will have to become dirt cheap and region hackable before I dip.

LD was always a niche. So was HD-DVD, but it was a niche at a time when stores were practically giving the players away and when even a "niche" in the now-much-larger home video market stomps the size of the laserdisc base back in the day.

And if you look at the amount of HD-DVD players sold versus the amount of half-decent LD players manufactured, I can almost guarantee there are more HD-DVD players.

KR~!
09-29-2008, 08:54 PM
You can even still find Betamax tapes and players. Just do a search for betamax on ebay.

dwatts
09-29-2008, 09:05 PM
Yeah, but would you want one?

KR~!
09-29-2008, 09:10 PM
Yeah, but would you want one?

well, what if you had some old home video on Betamax and you needed to transfer it to digital? How would you do it?

dwatts
09-29-2008, 09:12 PM
Home video? I'd go to a store that converts it, and have it done there. But then, I'd have done it years ago......

Each to their own - but just because you can still buy 8-Track tapes doesn't mean I think it's a good idea to get one. :)

KR~!
09-29-2008, 09:28 PM
kind of like HD-DVDs, but people are still buying them cause ermm.. just because ;)

Dave
09-29-2008, 11:24 PM
I'm still buying HD-DVDs. Then again, I only got into them because of the drop in price. Eventually I will go blu but I'm not in a rush.

Regurgitate
09-29-2008, 11:52 PM
Awwwwwwwwwwww (((((verbal hug4u))))) you poor poor baby. Hell yeah you got cheated totally! So glad I didn't invest any money into this. All I have is one bluray DVD and that's it. Eventually they are going to make laptops with BR capability. So that's where and when I will watch it. I'm not much of TV person at all. I don't need a 60 inch TV set to say to myself God DAMN!!!!! My parents have a huge HDTV in the den downstairs and I hardly ever watch it. I just want a nice sweet laptop for me. I plan on buying on down the road.

I'm about ready to donate my PC cause it's too old and out of date. So anyway I wouldn't be surprised if BR shits the bed too eventually. I think the average Joe Blow is not going to upgrade. Every single person I know is perfectly happy with regulars DVDs. So who knows what will happen? Hey Regurgitate if it makes you feel better I can always kick you in the shin. :cool: You all wanna know what really sucks? Somewhere there is some asshole with a big ass wad of cash in they're wallet from all the money they made off your asses. Now that makes me very mad! :mad:

Ahh.. Just the kind of support I was looking for. ;)

Ummm, how are they worthless again? Did the machine stop spinning discs when they announced HD-DVD was over? Did the disc themselves stop playing?

If you bought HD-DVD as an investment, you might want to consider a savings account. I guarantee a better return. Otherwise, you can still get many years of enjoyment from the format. Don't go the way of players not being available, because I can still buy a perfectly functional LD player and it's 10 years after the format was killed off.

This was kind of a rhetorical post, not to mention I was not in the clearest state of mind when I started typing. I didn't think that HD DVD was going to be a 1909 VDB penny or anything that I was going to sell and retire off of in the future. I don't expect many/any people to agree with me. Maybe my situation is unique but I can give a little detail as to why I am disinterested in the HD DVDs I do own.

First off my first HD DVD player was the add-on for the Xbox 360. I thought it worked great with my 1080i tv. Fast forward to when I purchased my 1080P TV.. The 1080P playback on the 360 is prone to constant jerking of the picture. Maybe dropped frames are a more accurate description. I first noticed this charming anomaly when I was connected to the TV with component cables. So, in another moment of wisdom (wishful thinking) I purchased an Xbox 360 with HDMI out.. Still have the jerky playback and this is with DVDs being scaled to 1080P. Unacceptable in my opinion and I think it's a limitation of the hardware..

Next I got a stand-alone HD DVD player, an A30, during the firesale extravaganzas when HD DVD was in it's death throes. Now that player had 1080P output and it could play HD DVDs back nicely. Unfortunately the obsessive compulsive inside could not rest.. Not only was the player horrendously slow, when the player was in 1080P/24 mode anything that had a video source flag looked like utter shit. I would have to go into the firmware any time I wanted to watch something that wasn't an HD DVD and change the 1080P mode. Now look, that might be minor to someone else but the firmware was slow and it seriously affects my enthusiasm for watching anything. Now if that wasn't bad enough I only have 3 HDMI inputs. The cable box wasn't going anywhere and the same goes for the PS3.. Now in a battle over the Xbox and the shitty HD DVD player the Xbox won. I know I could get an HDMI switch and maybe I will but for now that's out for reasons I will not bore you with.

So here I am using my PS3 for Blu Ray and in Hidef contentment and I am saying to myself "Ditch these HD DVDs and go with the convenience of one device that works, and nicely.".

That's just me, your mileage may vary.

Vlachio
09-30-2008, 01:13 AM
It has not happened just yet but I want all the credit of told you so!!! I'm almost positive sooner or later Blue-Ray will shit the bed. It wont be any time soon but I'm sure the whole HD revolution will come to a dying halt. I'm certain regulars DVD's will end up winning the format wars. Thoughts?

Dave
09-30-2008, 06:09 AM
First off my first HD DVD player was the add-on for the Xbox 360. I thought it worked great with my 1080i tv. Fast forward to when I purchased my 1080P TV.. The 1080P playback on the 360 is prone to constant jerking of the picture. Maybe dropped frames are a more accurate description. I first noticed this charming anomaly when I was connected to the TV with component cables. So, in another moment of wisdom (wishful thinking) I purchased an Xbox 360 with HDMI out.. Still have the jerky playback and this is with DVDs being scaled to 1080P. Unacceptable in my opinion and I think it's a limitation of the hardware..

It's not a limitation of the hardware. I suspect it's a faulty HD-DVD drive and would suggest you get it replaced. Clearly it's not the 360 since you have already replaced that. But I can tell you it's not a regular problem since my only method of HD-DVD playback is through the 360 add-on, and that I have never encountered the problem you describe.

Matt89
09-30-2008, 07:09 AM
I'm almost positive sooner or later Blue-Ray will shit the bed. It wont be any time soon but I'm sure the whole HD revolution will come to a dying halt. I'm certain regulars DVD's will end up winning the format wars. Thoughts?

Yeah I have a few thoughts... I have to ask, what makes you so positive that it'll "shit the bed"? See, I don't see that happening. Even laserdisc, that only really caught on with die-hard movie fans still had a good 20-year run. I think you're 100% wrong, to be completely honest. I see it the total opposite way. I think HD is the future. TV is now being broadcast in HD (which I think will soon become the standard as HDTVs are becoming more and more common, because widescreen has become the new standard. TV shows are even filmed in widescreen now for shit's sake). My brother bought an HDTV just for HD sports channels and now he's looking to get a blu ray player because DVDs don't look NEARLY as good as high def blu-ray discs.

The thing is, DVD was never really perfect. There was always the problem of interlaced video, NTSC itself always sucked, digital artefacting, compressed video, compressed audio, etc.

Even upscaled DVDs don't look too great (mind you they look much better than standard definition) but I wouldn't call an upscaled DVD anything near HD quality. Upscaling can only do so much, as there is no HD source. I'm not kidding, the difference between blu-ray and DVD (oftentimes even an upscaled one) is staggering, and people now are just starting to realize that. With more and more titles becoming available on HD, it's starting to take off. It's just the beginning, trust me. It's nowhere NEAR the end. Blu-ray (and HD-DVD) is the only home video format we've had that most closely represents the look of actual film. Grain prevales, images flow, color reproduction is glorious, it LOOKS LIKE FILM.

But now...what's your reasonging behind your argument that it's going to fail?

~Matt

Vlachio
09-30-2008, 11:25 AM
Yeah I have a few thoughts... I have to ask, what makes you so positive that it'll "shit the bed"? See, I don't see that happening. Even laserdisc, that only really caught on with die-hard movie fans still had a good 20-year run. I think you're 100% wrong, to be completely honest. I see it the total opposite way. I think HD is the future. TV is now being broadcast in HD (which I think will soon become the standard as HDTVs are becoming more and more common, because widescreen has become the new standard. TV shows are even filmed in widescreen now for shit's sake). My brother bought an HDTV just for HD sports channels and now he's looking to get a blu ray player because DVDs don't look NEARLY as good as high def blu-ray discs.

The thing is, DVD was never really perfect. There was always the problem of interlaced video, NTSC itself always sucked, digital artefacting, compressed video, compressed audio, etc.

Even upscaled DVDs don't look too great (mind you they look much better than standard definition) but I wouldn't call an upscaled DVD anything near HD quality. Upscaling can only do so much, as there is no HD source. I'm not kidding, the difference between blu-ray and DVD (oftentimes even an upscaled one) is staggering, and people now are just starting to realize that. With more and more titles becoming available on HD, it's starting to take off. It's just the beginning, trust me. It's nowhere NEAR the end. Blu-ray (and HD-DVD) is the only home video format we've had that most closely represents the look of actual film. Grain prevales, images flow, color reproduction is glorious, it LOOKS LIKE FILM.

~Matt

Oh I don't want BR to fail at all. The main mistake they keep making over & over is releasing bare bones HD discs. The regular DVD bonus features & multiple versions end up making regular DVDs the must buy purchase versus BR. Oh my Mom is buying me a laptop soon with built in BR. I'm so freeggin excited I can't wait!!!!

Vlachio
09-30-2008, 11:31 AM
Newegg is widely regarded as one of the best online stores for computer supplies. They often have the best prices and shipping is super fast.

http://www.bizrate.com/ratings_guide/cust_reviews__mid--28697.html

Awesome thank you for the info! I'll keep you peoples posted on my laptop purchase.

rxfiend
09-30-2008, 11:51 AM
Speaking of HDDVD, anyone know of a site that lists all the horror titles released on the format? I'm just about to get a new TV, and as of now, a HD-DVD addon for my xbox is the only option (can't afford a BR player) to view HD movies besides satellite. So I'm thinking about getting some titles at a very cheap price, but am not sure whats all out there.

maybrick
09-30-2008, 12:36 PM

~Matt

If it fails, it's because mainstream America either doesn't notice or care about any of that. DVDs aren't perfect, but they're good enough to a great many people. Blu-ray will have their lower their costs to the same price as reg-def DVD before it becomes the dominant format.

Matt89
09-30-2008, 02:08 PM
Oh I don't want BR to fail at all. The main mistake they keep making over & over is releasing bare bones HD discs. The regular DVD bonus features & multiple versions end up making regular DVDs the must buy purchase versus BR. Oh my Mom is buying me a laptop soon with built in BR. I'm so freeggin excited I can't wait!!!!

So you're saying special features you'll watch probably once in your lifetime are more valuable and mean more to you than the quality of the film itself? I used to think like that too until I actually saw the quality of the film on the disc. When I found out Carrie wasn't going to have any special features carried over, I was pissed. Then it hit me. I love that film. It means much much more to me than any special feature and come to think of it, I've only watched the special features on that disc once (aside from the trailer, which was carried over to the blu-ray anyway.) And really, isn't that what high definition is all about? To have the best possible quality of a certain film? I thought that was the main appeal of blu-ray.

Sure, there really is no reason why special features should not be carried over, considering the high capacity of blu-ray discs but it's not like every studio is doing it. The ONLY major studio not to carry over ANY special features is MGM. That's it. And they haven't put out many blu-rays anyway. Warner carries everything over, as does Lionsgate, Sony/Columbia, Paramount, Universal, Fox carries MOST if not all of the special features over. They dropped a couple features off their blu-ray of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid but they weren't very important anyway. Not much of a loss.

Not only that, studios are beginning to adopt the "BD Live" feature on many of their new blu-rays. There are also more blu-ray discs that have exclusive blu-ray features over their DVD counterparts. The Warner edition of The Road Warrior has an introduction by Leonard Maltin and a commentary that is exclusive to blu-ray. The documentary "The Magic of Movie Editing" on the blu-ray of Bullitt is in high-def (and looks amazing), The BD of Close Encounters has blu-ray exclusive features, Fox's upcoming blu-ray of The Omen has special features exclusive to the blu-ray (ontop of carrying EVERYTHING over from the DVD), the Texas Chainsaw Massacre blu-ray has everything the DVD has, plus a new interview with Teri McMinn, who has never really spoken out about the film. That's a rarity.

What I'm saying is the good far outweighs the bad, and you should never put special features before the film itself. Hypothetical situation: There are 2 DVDs out on the market for a particular film, one barebones and the other a special edition. The barebones edition has stellar image quality, and the special edition has an inferior transfer but loads of special features. Would you get the special edition over the barebones edition with better image quality?

A lot of people say how much a film means to them, but it seems that many people often put special features ahead of the film itself. As if special features mean more to them than the actual film. But the truth is, what will you keep watching again and again? Halloween, or the featurette where they re-visit the original locations 30 years later? Personally, I'm willing to bet Halloween. :)

If it fails, it's because mainstream America either doesn't notice or care about any of that. DVDs aren't perfect, but they're good enough to a great many people. Blu-ray will have their lower their costs to the same price as reg-def DVD before it becomes the dominant format.

Well personally I don't know how people can't notice the difference. Pretty big jump in quality (http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews38/the-searchers_blu-ray.htm) if you ask me.
What I really don't get is people complaining about blu-ray prices. Blu-ray is not expensive at all. The only studio (again) putting out ridiculously overpriced blu-rays is MGM/Fox. Even the blu-ray from Sony of Close Encounters is only $4 more than the standard def, plus you get a few extra features exclusive to high-def.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&plgroup=1&docId=1000275911&plpage=2

How cheap do they need to get?

Halloween - $13.49
Dawn of the Dead - $13.49
Day of the Dead - $13.49
Evil Dead II - $13.49
Texas Chainsaw Massacre - $17.95 (a dollar more than the DVD)
Black Christmas - $18.95 (cheaper than the DVD!)
Masters of Horror Seasons 1, 2, 3, 4 - $13.49 each
Clockwork Orange - $13.95
The Shining - $14.95
2001: A Space Odyssey - $17.95
The Road Warrior - $13.95 ($4 more than the barebones DVD)
The Warriors - $19.95
The Thing - $19.95
American Psycho - $16.95
The Descent - $19.95
Bullitt - $13.95
The Fugitive - $13.95
The Aviator - $13.95
GoodFellas - $17.95 (again, cheaper than the DVD!)
Blade Runner (5 DISCS!) $24.95 (I got it for $15.95 brand new off amazon a few months ago.)

Not ONE of those (with the exception of Blade Runner) was over $20. Blu-ray isn't expensive. The price is no argument.

~Matt

maybrick
09-30-2008, 02:54 PM
Well personally I don't know how people can't notice the difference.

It isn't that people don't notice the difference, it's that people just don't care about the difference. Why is that so hard to understand?

Price is always an argument. So long as people have to shell out for a brand new player and pay even a few dollars extra per disc (nevermind needing a large screen HD set with HDMI hookups to experience the difference), if they are satified with the way standard def looks, then they're not going to budge. The way Wall Street is looking, most people are starting to believe that now is not the time for unnecessary purchases, anyways.

Matt89
09-30-2008, 03:44 PM
It isn't that people don't notice the difference, it's that people just don't care about the difference. Why is that so hard to understand?

Price is always an argument. So long as people have to shell out for a brand new player and pay even a few dollars extra per disc (nevermind needing a large screen HD set with HDMI hookups to experience the difference), if they are satified with the way standard def looks, then they're not going to budge. The way Wall Street is looking, most people are starting to believe that now is not the time for unnecessary purchases, anyways.

Well with widescreen TVs becoming the standard, blu-ray just becomes an add-on. It's taking full advantage of the fact that an individual owns an HD set. More and more people are owning HD sets, considering the price of them has dropped drastically within the past few years. I'll side with you on the fact that blu-ray players are still way overpriced, but once they come down (and they eventually will, they cetainly are starting to) people will be more willing to make the switch. I don't think the huge issue is the cost of the discs as much as it is the cost of the player itself, which makes sense.

But, look at DVD. When it first came out, prices for DVD players were insanely high. DVDs themselves were very expensive. I remember paying $30 for Friday the 13th around the time it came out. But prices went down and DVD eventually became the standard. The first DVDs/DVD players were issued in what, 1997? (I know my Prom Night DVD has a copyright date of 1997.) The price for them really didn't go down a whole lot either until about 2003/2004. That took about 6 years to take off.

The only reason a blu-ray player is still very expensive is because it's brand new. No, it's not that people don't care or that they don't notice the difference, nor is it the price of the discs themselves. (What most people don't really care about is spending an extra $2 or $3 difference, considering the average person's DVD collection isn't very big anayway). It's the fact that it's a new format and people are just NOW beginning to discover how much better HD looks than standard definition. With 6 times the resolution of DVD, you can't help but notice.

~Matt

KR~!
09-30-2008, 04:33 PM
I found this very old F.A.Q about DVD on-line, here are some highlights, worth a read:

VHS is good enough, why should I care about DVD?

The primary advantages of DVD are video quality, surround sound, and extra features (see 1.2). In addition, DVD will not degrade with age or after many playings like videotape will (which is an advantage for parents with kids who watch Disney videos twice a week!). This is the same thing that makes CDs more collectable than cassette tapes. Did I mention video quality? The better your TV, the bigger the difference in picture quality between VHS and DVD.

If none of this matters to you, then VHS probably is good enough.

What's a progressive DVD player?

Toshiba developed the first progressive-scan player (SD5109, $800) in mid 1998, but didn't release it until fall of 1999 because of copy protection concerns. Panasonic also released a progressive-scan player (DVD-H1000, $3000) in fall of 1999.

What's the difference between first, second, and third generation DVD?

According to some people, second-generation DVD players came out in the fall of 1997 and third-generation players are those that came out in the beginning of 1998. According to others, the second generation of DVD will be HD players.

What's firmware and why would I need to upgrade it?

DVD players are simple computers. Each one has a software program that controls how it plays discs. Since the software is stored on a chip, it's called firmware. Some players have flaws in their programming that cause problems playing certain DVDs. In order to correct the flaws, or in some cases to work around authoring errors on popular discs, the player must be upgraded with a replacement firmware chip.

Will DVD replace VCRs?

Eventually. DVD player sales exceeded VCR sales in 2001. DVD recorders will hasten the death of VCRs once the price difference is small enough. DVDs have many advantages over tapes, such as no rewinding, quick access to any part of a recording, and fundamentally lower technology cost for hardware and disc production. Some projections show DVD recorder sales passing VCR sales in 2005. By 2010 VHS may be as dead as vinyl records were in 2000.

Will DVD replace laserdisc?

When this question was first entered in the FAQ in 1996, before DVD was available, many people wondered if DVD would replace laserdisc, the 12-inch optical disc format that had been around since 1978. Some argued that DVD would fail and its adherents would come groveling back to laserdisc. After DVD was released, it soon became clear that it had doomed laserdisc to quick obscurity. Pioneer Entertainment, the long-time champion of laserdisc, abandoned laserdisc production in the U.S. in June of 1999. This was sooner than even Pioneer thought possible (in September 1998, Pioneer's president Kaneo Ito said the company expected laserdisc products to be in the market for another one-and-a-half to two years), although Pioneer did continue to release small runs in Japan until 2001.

Laserdisc still fills niches in education, training, and video installations, but it's fading even there. Existing laserdisc players and discs will be around for a while, though essentially no new discs are being produced. There were about 18,000 laserdisc titles in the US and a total of over 35,000 titles worldwide that could be played on over 7 million laserdisc players. (See Julien Wilk's Laserdisc Database for the most extensive list of titles.) It took DVD several years to reach this level, and there are still rare titles available on laserdisc but not on DVD. One bright point is that laserdiscs can now be had at bargain prices.

Will high-definition DVD or 720p DVD make current players and discs obsolete?

Not for a while. The high definition Blu-ray Disc format is still new, and it will take years before Blu-ray surpasses DVD as the dominant format. Even then, Blu-ray players can play old DVD discs and often make them look even better (with progressive-scan video and HD upconversion). New Blu-ray discs don't play in standard DVD players, but your collection of standard DVDs will be playable for years if not decades to come, and they will only become "obsolete" in the sense that you might want to replace them with new high-definition versions. In other words, you'll need to buy a new player if you want to be able to play the new discs, but you don't necessarily have to replace any of the discs you already own. Consider that U.S. HDTV was anticipated to be available in 1989, yet it was not finalized until 1996 and did not appear until 1998. Has it made standard-definition programming obsolete yet?

dwatts
09-30-2008, 04:36 PM
So you're saying special features you'll watch probably once in your lifetime are more valuable and mean more to you than the quality of the film itself? I used to think like that too until I actually saw the quality of the film on the disc.

Not more valuable, but honestly - this current trend is, I believe, a huge mistake by BR vendors. Not only do they want more for their discs, but quantitatively, they want to give us less.

It's not a matter of quality. People are openly downloading compressed copies of movies from the Internet - so do you really think quality is the highest of their concerns?

It simply makes no sense to most people to pay more and get less for it. The "more" they're getting is indeed, quality. But DVD isn't that bad - so the quality hit you're taking - especially on modern films - isn't too great. And with DVD, often, you're getting a ton of extras.

Yes BR has more resolution, and that's important, but it's not the whole story.

In fact, it's completely backwards now. BR prices - both disc and players - need to fall. And any exclusive content needs to be taken off DVD, and put on BR. Not the other way around. Simple as. Otherwise BR is in danger of forever being a niche.

maybrick
09-30-2008, 04:43 PM
Well with widescreen TVs becoming the standard, blu-ray just becomes an add-on. It's taking full advantage of the fact that an individual owns an HD set. More and more people are owning HD sets, considering the price of them has dropped drastically within the past few years. I'll side with you on the fact that blu-ray players are still way overpriced, but once they come down (and they eventually will, they cetainly are starting to) people will be more willing to make the switch. I don't think the huge issue is the cost of the discs as much as it is the cost of the player itself, which makes sense.

But, look at DVD. When it first came out, prices for DVD players were insanely high. DVDs themselves were very expensive. I remember paying $30 for Friday the 13th around the time it came out. But prices went down and DVD eventually became the standard. The first DVDs/DVD players were issued in what, 1997? (I know my Prom Night DVD has a copyright date of 1997.) The price for them really didn't go down a whole lot either until about 2003/2004. That took about 6 years to take off.

The only reason a blu-ray player is still very expensive is because it's brand new. No, it's not that people don't care or that they don't notice the difference, nor is it the price of the discs themselves. (What most people don't really care about is spending an extra $2 or $3 difference, considering the average person's DVD collection isn't very big anayway). It's the fact that it's a new format and people are just NOW beginning to discover how much better HD looks than standard definition. With 6 times the resolution of DVD, you can't help but notice.

~Matt

This debate has become as old as the hills, but what the hell: You can't compare the rise of DVD to the rise of Blu-ray. There was a MAJOR leap in quality from VHS to DVD. (Chapter stops ultimately wound up being a bigger, if not equal, selling point than the increase in resolution, anyways.) It's a MUCH tinier step from DVD to Blu-ray. Mainstream audiences will eventually adopt an HD format eventually, sure, but the companies producing Blu-ray may not have that long before they have to give up due to lack of sales. After two years it's still a niche market, but it can't remain a niche market. There's too much money invested into it.

maybrick
09-30-2008, 04:50 PM
VHS is good enough, why should I care about DVD?

The primary advantages of DVD are video quality, surround sound, and extra features (see 1.2). In addition, DVD will not degrade with age or after many playings like videotape will (which is an advantage for parents with kids who watch Disney videos twice a week!). This is the same thing that makes CDs more collectable than cassette tapes. Did I mention video quality? The better your TV, the bigger the difference in picture quality between VHS and DVD.

If none of this matters to you, then VHS probably is good enough.

Sorry, but I have to take issue with this. Anybody with children knows that VHS is FAR more durable than DVD. Give a child a DVD and within seconds it could be scratched to shit and completely unplayable. Give a kid a video tape and they can beat it to hell and unless they figure out how to open the lid up and pull on the tape it will still work. Even then it's fairly simple to respool the tape back in. Kids don't care about video quality anyways. Plus, beyond all that, there's no reason to have a kid's film last forever. Sure, they'll watch a movie repeatedly, but eventually they'll grow out of it and move on to something else. It happened with our daughter and BENJI, for example.

dwatts
09-30-2008, 04:53 PM
I still buy DVD. What kills it for me - living outside the US at the moment - is price (discs are over a third MORE here, for no good reason) and the big one: Region coding. Adopting region coding kills sales from abroad. I'm a consumer, and I want a choice. region coding stops me from shopping around. Screw that.

maybrick
09-30-2008, 05:19 PM
I still buy DVD. What kills it for me - living outside the US at the moment - is price (discs are over a third MORE here, for no good reason) and the big one: Region coding. Adopting region coding kills sales from abroad. I'm a consumer, and I want a choice. region coding stops me from shopping around. Screw that.

Yeah. For me the selling point in regards to blu-ray is that it supposedly has the same frame rate regardless of Region. However, the region coding effectively negates that advantage. Until someone figures out how to crack one I won't even consider the upgrade.

Matt89
09-30-2008, 05:30 PM
You guys bring up many points, but really it is only Fox/MGM (MGM primarily) that aren't carrying over special features. I do see what you mean but I still think that eventually blu-ray will become the standard. It just needs a bit of time, and BR player prices need to fall. Widescreen TVs have become the standard (why are DVDs now 16x9 enhanced?). It took a while, but it happened. I was asked what my thoughts were and I'm just expressing my opinion on the issue. I just don't wanna get into a heated argument over nothing lol. Although I'll admit it was fun, I certainly don't want a repeat of the Friday the 13th boxset argument. (Yeah, remember that one? :))

But dwatts, you're from where, the UK? LOL call me an idiot, but I had no idea. Are you from there or just living there? But yeah, region coding was one of the dumbest things that went along with DVD. I've never understood the concept. I mean, you get those little blurbs on the back of DVD cases: "Not authorized for sale outside the US and Canada." So...what, they're trying to say that we're gonna get in shit for importing a title? Legitimately BUYING a film from another company? :eek2: Bullshit. You're not allowed to copy films, which makes sense but when importing, SOME studio is getting profit. Like Paramount and Friday the 13th, they region coded it so you only had the option of buying the R1 'cut' version with no extras. Warner released the 'uncut' version on R2 WITH extras. Warner made me happy, Paramount didn't. So, I went with Warner. SOMEONE got profit for it, anyway. Screw THAT. :fuck:

~Matt

dwatts
09-30-2008, 06:10 PM
It took a while, but it happened.There is one key difference, I think. Physical media as a delivery system has a finite life. We're moving into an era when content will be delivered over phone lines. It's already happening with music, and it'll happen with film over time. So hi-def content distributed on BR has a relatively limited shelf life. They need to be careful of that. I don't think they have three years to convince the public - it's got to happen sooner.

It's all well and good talking about resolution, and I'm totally sold on it. But consumers are always focused on value, and pixels don't offer great value to Joe Blow. It's not the same as a commentary track, a featurette etc. In fact, look at the number of times on this board people have bemoaned a release because it's bare bones.

Value for hi-def content must extend beyond the number of pixels - and it's got to have a value beyond DVD other than that. So yeah, extras matter, and they've got to de-emphasize DVD by making some things exclusively BR (which I believe they did, for example, with some of the Saw releases).

As to me - I live where ever the work is good. Right now that's the UK. But - to the chagrin of many - I can vote in the US. ;)

KR~!
09-30-2008, 06:21 PM
There is one key difference, I think. Physical media as a delivery system has a finite life. We're moving into an era when content will be delivered over phone lines. It's already happening with music, and it'll happen with film over time. So hi-def content distributed on BR has a relatively limited shelf life. They need to be careful of that. I don't think they have three years to convince the public - it's got to happen sooner.

phone lines? Also your blu-ray collection will be playable long after you are dead.

spawningblue
09-30-2008, 06:25 PM
Not more valuable, but honestly - this current trend is, I believe, a huge mistake by BR vendors. Not only do they want more for their discs, but quantitatively, they want to give us less.

It's not a matter of quality. People are openly downloading compressed copies of movies from the Internet - so do you really think quality is the highest of their concerns?

It simply makes no sense to most people to pay more and get less for it. The "more" they're getting is indeed, quality. But DVD isn't that bad - so the quality hit you're taking - especially on modern films - isn't too great. And with DVD, often, you're getting a ton of extras.

Yes BR has more resolution, and that's important, but it's not the whole story.

In fact, it's completely backwards now. BR prices - both disc and players - need to fall. And any exclusive content needs to be taken off DVD, and put on BR. Not the other way around. Simple as. Otherwise BR is in danger of forever being a niche.

Agree.

This debate has become as old as the hills, but what the hell: You can't compare the rise of DVD to the rise of Blu-ray. There was a MAJOR leap in quality from VHS to DVD. (Chapter stops ultimately wound up being a bigger, if not equal, selling point than the increase in resolution, anyways.) It's a MUCH tinier step from DVD to Blu-ray. Mainstream audiences will eventually adopt an HD format eventually, sure, but the companies producing Blu-ray may not have that long before they have to give up due to lack of sales. After two years it's still a niche market, but it can't remain a niche market. There's too much money invested into it.

Agree.

There is one key difference, I think. Physical media as a delivery system has a finite life. We're moving into an era when content will be delivered over phone lines. It's already happening with music, and it'll happen with film over time. So hi-def content distributed on BR has a relatively limited shelf life. They need to be careful of that. I don't think they have three years to convince the public - it's got to happen sooner.

It's all well and good talking about resolution, and I'm totally sold on it. But consumers are always focused on value, and pixels don't offer great value to Joe Blow. It's not the same as a commentary track, a featurette etc. In fact, look at the number of times on this board people have bemoaned a release because it's bare bones.

Value for hi-def content must extend beyond the number of pixels - and it's got to have a value beyond DVD other than that. So yeah, extras matter, and they've got to de-emphasize DVD by making some things exclusively BR (which I believe they did, for example, with some of the Saw releases).

As to me - I live where ever the work is good. Right now that's the UK. But - to the chagrin of many - I can vote in the US. ;)

And Agree.

I honestly think Blu Ray enthusiasts and their lack of care about anythign otehr then picture and sound is what could be the death of Blu Ray. As long as they buying these lazy releases, companies will continue to release them. And when the avergae joe is looking to upgrade and looks on teh back of a Blu Ray, and looks on the back of a DVD, he isn't going to want to put all that money into investing in something that overall isn't better.

Look at the leap from VHS to DVD. In what way was VHS better? DVD surpassed it in every way possible! Look at the leap from DVD to Blu Ray, it is very minimal, if even at all. Maybe not to you, but extras DO MATTER to people. That is why the 2 disc special editions always outsell the bare bones editions, and why people will double dip years later, to get all the neat content they added.

I hold hope that Blu ray will smarten up though, as they have been getting a little better with including all the extra features, and even once in a while including exclusive features. But they aren't there yet, that's for sure. I think like DVD, it will be a few years until they nail it, and almost everything being released now will be double dipped upon. But I just don't know if that's a smart decision, as I think they have to make them selves noticed, and they have to do it now, or else it will fail. DVDs are just offering too much for their price, and Blu Ray just isn't cutting it as an overall package.

dwatts
09-30-2008, 06:26 PM
Yes - the Internet comes through phone lines. Glad I could teach you something. :D

And yes, in theory the discs will be playable long after I'm dead - but it's simply not the way the industry is going. They'd rather your discs didn't last forever, and that you buy them again. But, Internet archives will be around long after your discs are playable. ;)

dwatts
09-30-2008, 06:32 PM
I honestly think Blu Ray enthusiasts and their lack of care about anything other then picture and sound is what could be the death of Blu Ray.

Agree. :lol:

Seriously, I think you're 100% correct here. We all know the quality jump. So, if it were are simple as selling the quality jump, we'd all be BR by now. But we're not. And unless we acknowledge that something else is going on, and that there are other factors, then BR won't move forward.

Last figures I saw were for post BR v HD-DVD - and 92% of home sales were on DVD. Still. That ought to cause some concern. Region coding is a nightmare, that has to be gotten around to kick-start a lot of things. Prices must fall. Prices would be good now since I'm spending UK pounds in US Dollars..... but region coding puts a stop to that (I know not all discs are region coded, but if in doubt, I just buy DVD).

I do think the quality argument is pretty much done. It's a fact BR is better, and I think the majority of the people recognize that. I also don't buy the "DVD is good enough quality" argument either - what kind of person would pay the same for lesser quality, no matter what? But there it is - pricing, region coding, availability.... It's not all aout A/V.

spawningblue
09-30-2008, 06:32 PM
You guys bring up many points, but really it is only Fox/MGM (MGM primarily) that aren't carrying over special features. I do see what you mean but I still think that eventually blu-ray will become the standard. It just needs a bit of time, and BR player prices need to fall. Widescreen TVs have become the standard (why are DVDs now 16x9 enhanced?). It took a while, but it happened. I was asked what my thoughts were and I'm just expressing my opinion on the issue. I just don't wanna get into a heated argument over nothing lol. Although I'll admit it was fun, I certainly don't want a repeat of the Friday the 13th boxset argument. (Yeah, remember that one? :))

But dwatts, you're from where, the UK? LOL call me an idiot, but I had no idea. Are you from there or just living there? But yeah, region coding was one of the dumbest things that went along with DVD. I've never understood the concept. I mean, you get those little blurbs on the back of DVD cases: "Not authorized for sale outside the US and Canada." So...what, they're trying to say that we're gonna get in shit for importing a title? Legitimately BUYING a film from another company? :eek2: Bullshit. You're not allowed to copy films, which makes sense but when importing, SOME studio is getting profit. Like Paramount and Friday the 13th, they region coded it so you only had the option of buying the R1 'cut' version with no extras. Warner released the 'uncut' version on R2 WITH extras. Warner made me happy, Paramount didn't. So, I went with Warner. SOMEONE got profit for it, anyway. Screw THAT. :fuck:

~Matt

I disagree. Universal is horrible with extras. Most of the time they skip out on a few features here and there, either that or include them cut up as a PIP feature. I hate that and would rather watch a documentary as a cohesive story, not all cut up in a small corner of the screen. One of the reasons why I am going to pick up the Doomsday DVD over the Blu Ray. A lot of companies seem to hate including picture galleries as well. Don't know why, other then laziness, as they would take up next to no space. I like seeing the original posters and adds, the make up and sculpture stills, or like in Top Gun's case, deleted scenes that only exist as stills. I hate that now I have to keep my Top Gun DVD, when I should have been able to sell it off and put the money towards another Blu Ray. Now I have to take up two spaces for the film on my shelf, when they could have obviously included the gallery. How much space could it take up, honestly?

KR~!
09-30-2008, 06:33 PM
Yes - the Internet comes through phone lines. Glad I could teach you something. :D

:lol: you have dial up! Good luck downloading your 50 GB blu-ray.

Seriously, we are still many years away from that. Even when everyone has legit high speed connections, ISP will put caps on how much you can download per month. Hell, that will happen long before real high speed connections become reality.

Matt89
09-30-2008, 06:33 PM
IT'S ONE FUCKING STUDIO THAT IS DROPPING THE EXTRAS, NOT ALL OF THEM!!!!!

....:D

~Matt

Grim
09-30-2008, 06:40 PM
I disagree. Universal is horrible with extras. Most of the time they skip out on a few features here and there, either that or include them cut up as a PIP feature. I hate that and would rather watch a documentary as a cohesive story, not all cut up in a small corner of the screen. One of the reasons why I am going to pick up the Doomsday DVD over the Blu Ray. A lot of companies seem to hate including picture galleries as well. Don't know why, other then laziness, as they would take up next to no space. I like seeing the original posters and adds, the make up and sculpture stills, or like in Top Gun's case, deleted scenes that only exist as stills. I hate that now I have to keep my Top Gun DVD, when I should have been able to sell it off and put the money towards another Blu Ray. Now I have to take up two spaces for the film on my shelf, when they could have obviously included the gallery. How much space could it take up, honestly?

So you care more about a measly documentary than the picture and sound quality of the film? Sorry, for me the film always comes first. The extras are just that; extras. I'd gladly take a 1080p HD transfer over a DVD loaded with extras. It just amazes me that these days people are more worried about the supplements then the film they are supplementing.

Matt89
09-30-2008, 06:41 PM
Oh and another thing...blu rays are actually quite hard to scratch. Unless you deliberately take a pen or something to the disc, it doesn't scratch from general use. I do take very good care of my DVDs yes, but what's interesting about blu-ray is that it'll scuff, but you can wipe the marks off WITH YOUR HAND without scratching it. I know, not a high selling point, but I thought that was rather interesting.

~Matt

Matt89
09-30-2008, 06:43 PM
So you care more about a measly documentary than the picture and sound quality of the film? Sorry, for me the film always comes first. The extras are just that; extras. I'd gladly take a 1080p HD transfer over a DVD loaded with extras. It just amazes me that these days people are more worried about the supplements then the film they are supplementing.

THANK YOU! How many times can you watch the same documentary? I just bought The Fog on blu-ray, why? Cuz the DVD looks like complete dogshit on my TV. I watched the doc on The Fog, learned some interesting facts and well...that's it. I don't think I'll have any need to ever watch it again.

~Matt

dwatts
09-30-2008, 06:47 PM
you have dial up!

Broadband (ADSL) comes through phone lines. :lol:

Seriously, we are still many years away from that. Even when everyone has legit high speed connections, ISP will put caps on how much you can download per month. Hell, that will happen long before real high speed connections become reality.

Really? And what % of members on this board are downloading movies today?

The extras are just that; extras. I'd gladly take a 1080p HD transfer over a DVD loaded with extras. It just amazes me that these days people are more worried about the supplements then the film they are supplementing.

I'm equally surprised that in this day and age more movie watchers aren't more interested in the background of the films they enjoy and watch. Education is a good thing, and good extras are priceless.

KR~!
09-30-2008, 06:50 PM
Now I have to take up two spaces for the film on my shelf, when they could have obviously included the gallery. How much space could it take up, honestly?

Those photos would looks pretty crappy on a big 1080p HDTV for what it's worth.

dwatts
09-30-2008, 06:52 PM
See, I've been defending extras - but picture galleries for the most part are really pointless......

Matt89
09-30-2008, 06:53 PM
Hmmm...Google images methinks?

~Matt

KR~!
09-30-2008, 06:54 PM
Broadband (ADSL) comes through phone lines. :lol:

:lol: you have DSL!!! Welcome to the 1990's! Seriously what part of the term "high speed" can't you grasp?

They are downloading 1080p HD films? Seriously, you really think that?:nervous::eek2::confused:

Matt89
09-30-2008, 06:56 PM

Yeah I'm on your side there. I don't download anything UNLESS it is not commercially available ANYWHERE. I only own 4 bootlegs. Two of Paul Newman's films (The Rack and Until They Sail), one Gene Kelly film (Thousands Cheer) and Love With the Proper Stranger with Natalie Wood and Steve McQueen. They're not commercially available, what was I supposed to do?

~Matt

KR~!
09-30-2008, 06:59 PM
Yeah I'm on your side there. I don't download anything UNLESS it is not commercially available ANYWHERE. I only own 4 bootlegs. Two of Paul Newman's films (The Rack and Until They Sail), one Gene Kelly film (Thousands Cheer) and Love With the Proper Stranger with Natalie Wood and Steve McQueen. They're not commercially available, what was I supposed to do?

~Matt

how is that being on his side? He is saying that blu-rays are worthless or will be since everyone is downloading movies with those telephone lines.:confused:

dwatts
09-30-2008, 07:04 PM
My comment was not related to piracy arguments at all - we've done that one to death. :D

What I am saying though is that I think arguments suggesting we're "years" away from making downloading content feasible are somewhat flawed, since people are already doing it.....

Besides, you wouldn't download hi-def content as people are movies today - you'd stream it.................

And I'm also not saying BR's are worthless - only that the industry better get it's act together, because the life of physical media is limited. It's time to convince people NOW.

Matt89
09-30-2008, 07:05 PM
how is that being on his side? He is saying that blu-rays are worthless or will be since everyone is downloading movies with those telephone lines.

What? Uhmm...no, he's not saying it's WORTHLESS. He DID mention he's been sold by them too.

~Matt

dwatts
09-30-2008, 07:09 PM
Hey - if you go back you'll find I was one of the strongest proponents of hi-def content on this site. I'm 100% sold. But I ain't buying. Because they've badly botched the release of hi-def content. I'm hoping not fatally.

Matt89
09-30-2008, 07:12 PM
I'm 100% sold. But I ain't buying.

:lol: dwatts, you make me laugh. I do see what you mean. I'm sold, however and I'm perfectly happy with HD. Maybe it's because I've had a tube TV my whole life and FINALLY got an HD set back in June and was blown away by the difference. Maybe that's what did me in. Maybe that's why I'm all about image quality. I want something different than what I've been seeing my entire life. HD made me love movies again.

~Matt

KR~!
09-30-2008, 07:15 PM
Hey - if you go back you'll find I was one of the strongest proponents of hi-def content on this site. I'm 100% sold. But I ain't buying. Because they've badly botched the release of hi-def content. I'm hoping not fatally.

Well, I will give you that no tech is future proof. There is no such thing, everone knows that.

I have DSL at home and I can barely stream it now, besides low res youtube. You really need a cable modem to stream anything other than youtube in real time and it is still not real HD. The few sites that offer HD trailers can not be streamed in real time with even high end cable modems, I tried! So no we really are NOT there yet.

dwatts
09-30-2008, 07:23 PM
dwatts, you make me laughThis is a good thing. :lol:

Part of why Americans are so happy with hi-def is that you had to put up with piss poor NTSC for years. PAL is much closer to hi-def, and the jump is even less.

As you know, I project 99% of my movies onto a screen 7 feet wide. So hi-def offers real benefits, but honestly, the industry seems hell-bent on convincing me that DVD is the way to go. I love the idea of hi-def content, but it's just not good value today (especially outside the US). And Region Coding means I can't buy half of what I want anyway, because I happen to be in Europe. Sorry, that's just pathetic.

But yeah, hi-def looks great. :)

I have DSL at home and I can barely stream it now, besides low res youtube. You really need a cable modem to stream anything other than youtube in real time and it is still not real HD. The few sites that offer HD trailers can not be streamed in real time with even high end cable modems, I tried! So no we really are NOT there yet.But are we "years" away? What we need is better compression algorithms, content moved to servers closer to our homes etc. It'll get there.

And streaming at home? I do it. Streaming DVD quality is easy, and I do it reasonably often. Not tried hi-def, because I don't have any content to try....... but it'll get there. All we need is some QoS.....

spawningblue
09-30-2008, 07:30 PM

Well I don't have a huge 1080 TV or an HD surround system. I have a modest size 720 TV, so in this case, yes! I'd rather have good picture and sound with great extras then great picture and no extras. Yes, Blu Ray picture is a lot better then DVD, but I'd rather have a still pretty good picture and the documentary, then no documentary. It's not like DVD picture quality is complete shit, it's not as good as Blu Ray, but still pretty damn good, especially upscaled. In all honestly though, Blu Ray shouldn't be making you make that choice. They should be better then DVD in each and every way. And for the picture and sound to even be that much better you need to buy a new TV and surround system.

Matt89
09-30-2008, 07:34 PM
Part of why Americans are so happy with hi-def is that you had to put up with piss poor NTSC for years. PAL is much closer to hi-def, and the jump is even less.

Honestly, eh? And I KNOW the only reason we kept NTSC was because of American pride. They KNEW PAL was better. I mean, it had the benefit of coming out after NTSC did, so what choice did they have other than to improve upon NTSC?

And wow, have you ever seen the color bars for NTSC? It only really hit me when I was taking this video editing course back in high school and we had to add NTSC color bars to our films. Ouch. NTSC recognizes white as a murky grey. Nasty. But you know what they say:

NTSC:

NEVER TWICE the SAME COLOR

:D

~Matt

Grim
09-30-2008, 07:35 PM
I'm equally surprised that in this day and age more movie watchers aren't more interested in the background of the films they enjoy and watch. Education is a good thing, and good extras are priceless.

I'm a film production major, so I am very much interested in the background and production aspects of film, but when I'm buying a movie, I want the best presentation available. Much of the information found in DVD extras can more or less be found on this wonderful thing we call the world wide web, albeit in a not so flashy form. This reminds me of the whole Crystal Lake memories debate in the Friday the 13th box set thread. There are other ways to learn the history of a film besides DVD extras. If I'm that concerned with the extras and they aren't on a blu-ray release, I'll get the blu-ray and buy the standard def version used down the road, or rent it from netflix. A good documentary is one that has a wealth of information, but I find that after I watch it once, I take in what I learned and will probably never watch it again. I just can't understand valuing that over the quality of the presentation of the film. To each his own I suppose.

Matt89
09-30-2008, 07:37 PM
This reminds me of the whole Crystal Lake memories debate in the Friday the 13th box set thread.

LMAO that's one for the ages. :lol:

~Matt

Grim
09-30-2008, 07:38 PM
Well I don't have a huge 1080 TV or an HD surround system. I have a modest size 720 TV, so in this case, yes! I'd rather have good picture and sound with great extras then great picture and no extras. Yes, Blu Ray picture is a lot better then DVD, but I'd rather have a still pretty good picture and the documentary, then no documentary. It's not like DVD picture quality is complete shit, it's not as good as Blu Ray, but still pretty damn good, especially upscaled. In all honestly though, Blu Ray shouldn't be making you make that choice. They should be better then DVD in each and every way. And for the picture and sound to even be that much better you need to buy a new TV and surround system.

Well, in regards to the Doomsday blu-ray, the behind the scenes stuff is there, just in a different format, like you said. You're still getting much of the same info, but people prefer what they prefer and who am I to judge.:)

spawningblue
09-30-2008, 07:43 PM
Well, in regards to the Doomsday blu-ray, the behind the scenes stuff is there, just in a different format, like you said. You're still getting much of the same info, but people prefer what they prefer and who am I to judge.:)

I've heard it's not all included though, just some of it. And I like that they put effort and time editing a documentary in a way that it tells a cohesive story, I'm not a fan of bits and pieces here and there showing up.

Grim
09-30-2008, 08:03 PM
I've heard it's not all included though, just some of it. And I like that they put effort and time editing a documentary in a way that it tells a cohesive story, I'm not a fan of bits and pieces here and there showing up.

True, not everything is included, but it's still very informative. I suppose its a matter of preference. I guess for me this is a rare occurrence because most of the films I buy on blu-ray I have already had on DVD and have seen the extras many times over so them being on a new disc is really irrelevant to me. As for new flicks, for the most part the blu-ray editions I've bought are usually equal, if not better, in terms extras when compared to the DVD, but there have been exceptions, like Doomsday.

dwatts
09-30-2008, 08:18 PM
I just can't understand valuing that over the quality of the presentation of the film. To each his own I suppose.

Again, you're not seeing the big picture. I don't think people are valuing it above good A/V. I think people are just interested in the big picture. Less quality, yes. But not that much less quality. And you can have the extras too.

I don't agree that either should be made mutually exclusive. What Spawning has been asking for is both, not one or the other. And yes you can go on the net, buy books, ask your friends. But the model has been set - and those things have been on DVD for years, so I'm failing to understand why people don't care. But, each to their own.

Matt: When I moved to the US I bought a nice new TV. When I turned it on I thought there was something wrong with it. I was used to PAL. Turned out - no - it was just NTSC. :lol:

Reverenddave
09-30-2008, 08:28 PM
Speaking of HDDVD, anyone know of a site that lists all the horror titles released on the format?

This isn't a complete list, but it's a good place to start.

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/reviews_alpha.html

Dave
09-30-2008, 08:29 PM
Extras are important to me as well, but a/v quality is first and foremost. If it's tons of extras versus better a/v quality, give me the latter.

Back to the original topic of HD-DVD being dead, and I posted this on Hidefdigest as well. HD-DVD has only just begun for me.

You guys realize I have taken HD broadcasts of the following movies and have made HD-DVDs from them:

Waxwork
Night of the Creeps
The Gate
Donnie Darko
Child's Play

Then I can just throw them into my HD-DVD player and go. Now, I can also stream them from my PC, but I wanted to free up some space, so I made the HD-DVDs. Now, the beauty to HD-DVD is I was able to use 8gb and 4gb DVD-rs to do this, yet they are still in HD-DVD spec (bitrate, etc). That's pretty damn cool and it's much cheaper than the blank blu-rays. Yes, I had to split them onto an 8gb and 4gb, or an 8gb and 8gb, but I'm okay with that.

spawningblue
09-30-2008, 08:37 PM
True, not everything is included, but it's still very informative. I suppose its a matter of preference. I guess for me this is a rare occurrence because most of the films I buy on blu-ray I have already had on DVD and have seen the extras many times over so them being on a new disc is really irrelevant to me. As for new flicks, for the most part the blu-ray editions I've bought are usually equal, if not better, in terms extras when compared to the DVD, but there have been exceptions, like Doomsday.

To be honest the Doomsday Blu Ray doesn't bother me as much as others have, as you're right, most of the stuff is included, but still not all of it. The reason I never bought it the first day was becasue I contemplated between the two. But the truth is right now I don't have a huge TV or Hi Def surround system, so for me I won't notice as much as a difference on a 720 TV compared to the DVD upscaled, so I'd rather have the documentary, and pick up the Blu Ray used later on. I just hate that I should have to buy both, instead of the Blu just not including it all in the first place. I have been only buying Blu Rays that include all the DVD extras in hope that by the time I upgrade my TV and surround system they will have re-released them properly. You may be thinking well, why go Blu in the first place? For the titles like say The Dar Knight or Iron Man that do include everything, and will save me from re buying them again. I've been buying half and half, and that's why I'm disappointed as I'd love to buy just the Blu ray and call it a day. I shouldn't have to make these decisions, especially when the DVDs are including them. It's laziness and that's the only reasoning I can think of for it.

Sadly, it looks like this is the way Universal is going with their Blu Rays, as they did it for The Thing as well, and that to me is just saddening. I think PIP tracks are fine for people that want to watch extras with the movie, or maybe don't have time for a bunch of long documentaries, but I think they should include both and give you the option. And again, I doubt space is an issue when dealing with standard def. features.

spawningblue
09-30-2008, 08:41 PM
And yeah, sorry for getting this thread off topic! :D

And I hope no one takes this too seriously. I'm not arguing, or think that anyone is wrong. I too agree that video and audio are important, just don't think extras should be shafted with a format that is supposed to take over DVD either. I'm a little disappointed that studios aren't included features that they already spent the money on for the DVDs.

Any other thoughts I guess we should move to the Blu Ray Extras thread that I started.

And I'm glad no one is getting really pissed about this, or getting kicked out over it haha. Everyone is my opinion, has appreciated other's opinions, and has just been replying with a point to back up their reasoning. Nice to see that we can all be adults!

Grim
09-30-2008, 08:50 PM
To be honest the Doomsday Blu Ray doesn't bother me as much as others have, as you're right, most of the stuff is included, but still not all of it. The reason I never bought it the first day was becasue I contemplated between the two. But the truth is right now I don't have a huge TV or Hi Def surround system, so for me I won't notice as much as a difference on a 720 TV compared to the DVD upscaled, so I'd rather have the documentary, and pick up the Blu Ray used later on. I just hate that I should have to buy both, instead of the Blu just not including it all in the first place. I have been only buying Blu Rays that include all the DVD extras in hope that by the time I upgrade my TV and surround system they will have re-released them properly. You may be thinking well, why go Blu in the first place? For the titles like say The Dar Knight or Iron Man that do include everything, and will save me from re buying them again. I've been buying half and half, and that's why I'm disappointed as I'd love to buy just the Blu ray and call it a day. I shouldn't have to make these decisions, especially when the DVDs are including them. It's laziness and that's the only reasoning I can think of for it.

Sadly, it looks like this is the way Universal is going with their Blu Rays, as they did it for The Thing as well, and that to me is just saddening. I think PIP tracks are fine for people that want to watch extras with the movie, or maybe don't have time for a bunch of long documentaries, but I think they should include both and give you the option. And again, I doubt space is an issue when dealing with standard def. features.

Well, if the difference between the blu-ray and the DVD wouldn't be that major, then that's understandable.

And I get what Dwatts is saying too. I agree that I don't know what is going through the studios' heads when they release barebones blu-rays of films that were loaded with extras in their DVD versions. It's just not much of an issue for me I suppose.

rxfiend
10-01-2008, 03:41 AM

Thank you very much!! :banana:

Matt89
10-01-2008, 04:04 AM
Matt: When I moved to the US I bought a nice new TV. When I turned it on I thought there was something wrong with it. I was used to PAL. Turned out - no - it was just NTSC. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: LMAO, oh I love it.

~Matt

rxfiend
10-01-2008, 05:50 AM
Well I ended up ordering a Xbox HD add-on. Also ordered "TheThing" and "Superman Returns", and will probably order some more later on. Still won't have a HDTV for awhile, but my projector is HD compatible, so I'll be using that in the meantime. If anyone knows where I can find some HD titles besides Amazon, Half.com or Ebay, please post the links. I'm also looking for them cheap (preferably under $10 a disc).

Reverenddave
10-01-2008, 07:35 AM
If anyone knows where I can find some HD titles besides Amazon, Half.com or Ebay, please post the links. I'm also looking for them cheap (preferably under $10 a disc).

Check out the sale at InetVideo. They have lots of HD-DVDs in the $5-$6 range. Shipping is steep. And some of the discs have bilingual covers (for Canadian retail). But if you're looking for cheap HD-DVDs, that's a good place.

http://inetvideo.com/

DVD.CO.UK is having a 2 for 10 sale.

http://www.dvd.co.uk/landingpage_691.htm

Frys has a bunch under $10 and a few under $5. Shipping is high for the first item. But if you add additional items, the price doesn't go up. I've had 11 discs ship for $6.

http://shop3.frys.com/search?query_string=&sort=price&order=asc&order_by=p03a&cat=-59250&pType=pDisplay&from=0&to=24

Amazon just dropped the price to $9.99 on tons of HD-DVDs.

Also check out AmazonUK. I saw many discs under 4.

Vlachio
10-01-2008, 10:34 AM

Great link 10 kudos to you!

AndiOne
10-01-2008, 12:06 PM
http://hddvdstats.com/

Not just horror flicks thou

rxfiend
10-01-2008, 09:57 PM
wow, that site is great AndiOne!!

X-human
10-01-2008, 10:09 PM

Use to people speaking in a higher pitch too? :D

maybrick
10-01-2008, 10:30 PM
Use to people speaking in a higher pitch too? :D

Of course not. Only "superheroes" notice the difference in pitch. Haven't you been informed? :lol:

dwatts
10-01-2008, 10:31 PM
I like speedup, I can watch more movies in an evening.

Regurgitate
10-02-2008, 12:11 AM
It's not a limitation of the hardware. I suspect it's a faulty HD-DVD drive and would suggest you get it replaced. Clearly it's not the 360 since you have already replaced that. But I can tell you it's not a regular problem since my only method of HD-DVD playback is through the 360 add-on, and that I have never encountered the problem you describe.

I'll take your word for it but like I said I never had an issue with 1080i playback with the 360 it was only in 1080P mode. In my case the HD DVD drive is streaming the data off the disc at a rate sufficient enough for the movie to get decoded. I've even connected it to a PC and ripped a few HD DVDs and converted them to Blu Ray. I just see no point investing anything further into the technology as I've convinced myself it's the Xbox itself that is the weakest link.

Vlachio
10-02-2008, 02:25 AM
http://hddvdstats.com/

Not just horror flicks thou

Ya great link 10 Swedish meatballs for you!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vlachio
10-02-2008, 02:28 AM
I'll take your word for it but like I said I never had an issue with 1080i playback with the 360 it was only in 1080P mode. In my case the HD DVD drive is streaming the data off the disc at a rate sufficient enough for the movie to get decoded. I've even connected it to a PC and ripped a few HD DVDs and converted them to Blu Ray. I just see no point investing anything further into the technology as I've convinced myself it's the Xbox itself that is the weakest link.

You should just bust your techno viking moves on it & break the shit.http://i.pbase.com/o4/49/648949/1/59105405.dancing.gif

Matt89
10-02-2008, 11:39 PM

Good point!! :D

~Matt

X-human
10-02-2008, 11:56 PM

Nah, it just makes up for all those tea breaks you guys take. Drinking water mixed with ground up tree leaves; what sense does that make?

Regurgitate
10-03-2008, 12:03 AM
You should just bust your techno viking moves on it & break the shit.http://i.pbase.com/o4/49/648949/1/59105405.dancing.gif

Techno Viking doesn't watch HD DVD, HD DVD watches the Techno Viking!

http://i37.tinypic.com/xqga2w.gif

Vlachio
10-03-2008, 12:06 AM
Techno Viking doesn't watch HD DVD, HD DVD watches the Techno Viking!

http://i37.tinypic.com/xqga2w.gif

I wish that was small enough like 100x100 to fit in your profile as a gif. Might have to be a little short though. Even on DSL that sucker takes a good min to load.

Oh and this techno viking dude wtf happened to them?
http://www.definecynical.net/images/smiles/offtopic.gif

othervoice1
10-03-2008, 02:17 AM
That dude totally Rocks!!!!!!!!!!!! I actually went and watched the whole video on youtube and I cant believe I have never seen this before- classic!

KR~!
10-03-2008, 04:29 AM
Even on DSL that sucker takes a good min to load.

yet DSL and dail-up is where most people will download 1080p films with surround sound, haven't you heard? ;)

AndiOne
10-03-2008, 08:31 PM
Ya great link 10 Swedish meatballs for you!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks! ;)
I can feed my pet Polarbear with them.

Regurgitate
10-04-2008, 03:08 AM
Not to beat a dead horse or anything but HD DVD playback on my PC is perfect with the Xbox add-on drive. There's no stuttering like on the Xbox 360.

rxfiend
10-06-2008, 08:28 PM
Got my Xbox HD add-on today along with Superman Returns and AoD. I hooked it up to my projector (which is 1080i) and holy shit, these movies look amazing!! SR was perfect. AoD looked great (there are some scenes that look better than others, but definitely blows away the DVD). I'm glad HDDVD is dirt cheap right now, I feel a sudden urge to buy a bunch of titles. lol

Bristlebane
10-24-2008, 05:10 AM
Anyone know of any places that still sell HD-DVD players other than ebay? Im thinking about picking up a player and info would help. Thanks.

rxfiend
10-25-2008, 12:57 PM
amazon.com sells them. I picked mine up from there via a third party seller.

Dave
10-25-2008, 04:10 PM
Speaking of painful...I just got Heroes HD-DVD S1 for $22 shipped from Frys.com. Loving the pain...

Great show, BTW. Just got into it but easily worth owning.

rxfiend
10-28-2008, 09:05 AM
http://dvaspecial.com/ just cut prices on a lot of HD-DVD titles. I picked up Cat People, Seed of Chucky and Smokey & the Bandit for $18!

Bristlebane
11-08-2008, 05:56 AM
Picked up the HD add on for the xbox today. With these firesale prices on the discs I could not resist.

Reverenddave
11-13-2008, 12:29 PM
Amazon has 99 HD-DVDs priced at $8.99 each:

8.99 40-Year-Old Virgin, The (Unrated) [HD DVD] (2005)
8.99 American Me [HD DVD] (1992)
8.99 Army of Darkness [HD DVD] (1993)
8.99 Assault on Precinct 13 [HD DVD] (2005)
8.99 Backdraft (HD DVD) [HD DVD] (1991)
8.99 Being John Malkovich [HD DVD] (1999)
8.99 Big Lebowski, The [HD DVD] (1998)
8.99 Billy Madison [HD DVD] (1995)
8.99 Bone Collector, The [HD DVD] (1999)
8.99 Born on the Fourth of July [HD DVD] (1989)
8.99 Bourne Identity, The [HD DVD] (2002)
8.99 Bourne Supremacy, The [HD DVD] (2004)
8.99 Bruce Almighty [HD DVD] (2003)
8.99 Bulletproof [HD DVD] (1996)
8.99 Carlito's Way [HD DVD] (1993)
8.99 Carlito's Way: Rise To Power [HD DVD] (2005)
8.99 Casino [HD DVD] (1995)
8.99 Cat People [HD DVD] (1982)
8.99 Chronicles of Riddick, The (Unrated Director's Cut) [HD DVD] (2004)
8.99 Cinderella Man [HD DVD] (2005)
8.99 Dante's Peak [HD DVD] (1997)
8.99 Dawn of the Dead (Unrated Director's Cut) [HD DVD] (2004)
8.99 Daylight [HD DVD] (1996)
8.99 Deer Hunter, The [HD DVD] (1979)
8.99 Doom (Unrated Extended Edition) [HD DVD] (2005)
8.99 Dragonheart [HD DVD] (1996)
8.99 Dune (1984) [HD DVD] (1984)
8.99 Elizabeth [HD DVD] (1998)
8.99 End of Days [HD DVD] (1999)
8.99 Erin Brockovich [HD DVD] (2000)
8.99 Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind [HD DVD] (2004)
8.99 Fast and the Furious, The [HD DVD] (2001)
8.99 Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas [HD DVD] (1998)
8.99 Field of Dreams [HD DVD] (1989)
8.99 For Love of the Game [HD DVD] (1999)
8.99 Friday Night Lights [HD DVD] (2004)
8.99 Game, The [HD DVD] (1997)
8.99 Getaway, The (Unrated) [HD DVD] (1994)
8.99 Happy Gilmore [HD DVD] (1996)
8.99 Hurricane, The [HD DVD] (2000)
8.99 In Good Company [HD DVD] (2005)
8.99 Inside Man [HD DVD] (2006)
8.99 Interpreter, The [HD DVD] (2005)
8.99 Jarhead [HD DVD] (2005)
8.99 Jerk, The [HD DVD] (1979)
8.99 Liar Liar [HD DVD] (1997)
8.99 Lost in Translation [HD DVD] (2003)
8.99 Mallrats [HD DVD] (1995)
8.99 Meet Joe Black [HD DVD] (1998)
8.99 Meet the Fockers [HD DVD] (2004)
8.99 Meet the Parents [HD DVD] (2000)
8.99 Mercury Rising [HD DVD] (1998)
8.99 Midnight Run [HD DVD] (1988)
8.99 Mobsters [HD DVD] (1991)
8.99 Monty Python's The Meaning of Life [HD DVD] (1983)
8.99 Mummy Returns, The [HD DVD] (2001)
8.99 Mummy, The [HD DVD] (1999)
8.99 Mystery Men [HD DVD] (1999)
8.99 Notting Hill [HD DVD] (1999)
8.99 Nutty Professor II: The Klumps [HD DVD] (2000)
8.99 Nutty Professor, The [HD DVD] (1996)
8.99 Out of Sight [HD DVD] (1998)
8.99 Patch Adams [HD DVD] (1998)
8.99 Pianist, The [HD DVD] (2003)
8.99 Pride & Prejudice [HD DVD] (2005)
8.99 Ray [HD DVD] (2004)
8.99 Red Dragon [HD DVD] (2002)
8.99 River, The [HD DVD] (1984)
8.99 Rundown, The [HD DVD] (2003)
8.99 Scent of a Woman [HD DVD] (1992)
8.99 Sea of Love [HD DVD] (1989)
8.99 Seabiscuit [HD DVD] (2003)
8.99 Seed of Chucky [HD DVD] (2004)
8.99 Serenity [HD DVD] (2005)
8.99 Skeleton Key, The [HD DVD] (2005)
8.99 Smokey and the Bandit [HD DVD] (1977)
8.99 Sneakers [HD DVD] (1992)
8.99 Spartacus [HD DVD] (1960)
8.99 Spy Game [HD DVD] (2001)
8.99 Sting, The [HD DVD] (1973)
8.99 Streets of Fire [HD DVD] (1984)
8.99 Thing, The [HD DVD] (1982)
8.99 Timecop [HD DVD] (1994)
8.99 Traffic [HD DVD] (2000)
8.99 Tremors [HD DVD] (1990)
8.99 U-571 [HD DVD] (2000)
8.99 Unleashed [HD DVD] (2005)
8.99 Van Helsing [HD DVD] (2004)
8.99 War, The [HD DVD] (1994)
8.99 Watcher, The [HD DVD] (2000)
8.99 Waterworld [HD DVD] (1995)
8.99 Wedding Date, The [HD DVD] (2005)
8.99 What Dreams May Come [HD DVD] (1998)
8.99 White Noise [HD DVD] (2005)

returntrip
11-13-2008, 02:49 PM
Well, you can all toss your HD-DVD players up with your video disc players, betamax players, and laserdisc players.

Reverenddave
11-13-2008, 11:54 PM
Amazon has 99 HD-DVDs priced at $8.99 each:

Looks like Amazon has dropped the price on most of these to $7.99.

Some good titles there. "The Thing" has the special features missing from the blu-ray.

jefff
11-14-2008, 01:31 AM
If anyone is interested, I am selling my Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player for $50.00. It's in perfect condition, and includes the original box and all materials. I also have the following HD DVD's listed below for trade or sale for very cheap. I am also willing to trade the HD player/HD DVD's for other standard dvd's. Please PM me if you are interested (I have positive trading feedback on this forum).

HD DVD's I have:

Blade Runner 5-dsc
Shaun Of The Dead
The Shining
A Clockwork Orange
Bulletproof
Fast Times At Ridgemont High
Babel
Bourne Identity
Accepted
Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix

spawningblue
11-14-2008, 04:46 PM
If anyone is interested, I am selling my Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player for $50.00. It's in perfect condition, and includes the original box and all materials. I also have the following HD DVD's listed below for trade or sale for very cheap. I am also willing to trade the HD player/HD DVD's for other standard dvd's. Please PM me if you are interested (I have positive trading feedback on this forum).

HD DVD's I have:

Blade Runner 5-dsc
Shaun Of The Dead
The Shining
A Clockwork Orange
Bulletproof
Fast Times At Ridgemont High
Babel
Bourne Identity
Accepted
Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix

HD version of 300 has some extras that aren't on the Blu Ray as well (Although I heard they are putting them on the re-release that coincides with theatrical release of Watchmen). I don't understand how HD movies, that are half the size of Blu Ray movies, were able to put all the DVD extras plus more on their discs, and Blu Rays can't!