PDA

View Full Version : Let's watch some lasers in October?

ekent
09-29-2008, 08:47 PM
Just thought I'd start this up again for 2008. I'm not going to set the bar as high as last year (30 titles), but lets see how many horror lasers we can watch in October!

Dave
09-29-2008, 11:27 PM
Word! I just got back into the grove. I actually spun Wild Wild West last week - voluntarily!

Paff
09-30-2008, 03:14 AM
Oh, I'll be watching some, but I can't really start until the 20th. My film festival runs from the 9th to the 16th, then I'm going away for a weekend.

I'll get some in this weekend though, and the last two weekends definitely. Especially Halloween night. My copy of The Blair Witch Project always gets a spin.

DeathDealer
09-30-2008, 03:15 AM
Film Festival?

Paff
09-30-2008, 06:29 AM
Yeah, I work for four local film festivals, and my biggest one is in October. It's 8 days long. The first four days I'm there 9AM-midnight (or later), the last four days I go back to work at my regular job for 8-4:30, then go to the festival from 5-midnight.

Pretty much makes laserdisc watching impossible. But after that, I'm so wiped, I just kick back on the couch for several days to recover. That's when I'll spin some 12-inchers.

DeathDealer
09-30-2008, 07:19 AM
What type of films for the october Film Festival?

Vlachio
09-30-2008, 10:44 AM
All I have is a bunch of Disney movies on LD. Snow White, Sleeping Beauty etc. I'm not watching that no freggin way! I need to score some Horror on LD soon.

Sam
09-30-2008, 02:00 PM
I'll try to sneak a few in. Damn work schedule's been so tight that I'm down to about one movie per week now on any format. :( Still have a number of lasers I've yet to view and powering the player would be a good maintenance idea with a year running of inactivity.

zompirejoe
09-30-2008, 02:22 PM
My laserdisc player broke about a month ago. I sold all of my discs, so I'm out of this one.:(

Matt89
09-30-2008, 02:44 PM
All I have is a bunch of Disney movies on LD. Snow White, Sleeping Beauty etc. I'm not watching that no freggin way! I need to score some Horror on LD soon.

But they're CLASSICS!!! :D

~Matt

Agentsusp
09-30-2008, 03:08 PM
I watched my LD of "The Stepfather" last night. I might bust out my Monster Club Thrille Video disc tonight

indiephantom
09-30-2008, 04:41 PM
Well, my LD player is at my parents place and I only see it now when I visit a couple of times a year. :lol: Sadly, no viewing option here.

Paff
10-03-2008, 02:49 AM
At first, I didn't think I'd be watching many discs.

But there's a lot of movies I've been meaning to get around to, and most are on LD:
Phantasm (might as well watch all 4 while I'm at it)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Night of the Living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Zombie
Rosemary's Baby
Cannibal Holocaust

Paff
10-05-2008, 06:10 PM
OK, first disc of October

1. Horror Hotel

Good little film, great if you don't have a lot of time. Elite's transfer isn't too bad. Good performances, glad it's in my collection (oh, and Jeremy's inclusion on the top ten list was the inspiration to dig it out...)

Uncle Jay
10-23-2008, 08:43 PM
I powered up my laserdisc player for the first time in two years, and it is rusty...but it still works! I may need a new one though.

I watched Joe Dante's Matinee which is a fun flick about a William Castle-like film producer/director (John Goodman) who comes to a small town to promote his new film "Mant," in 1962 Florida. He rigs up the local theater with gimmicks, gadgets and surprises to shock the audience with his atomic-era masterpiece, reminiscent of 50s/60s b-monster movies! But the Cuban Missle Crisis is also going on, making everyone in town bonkers enough as it is!

The widescreen laserdisc contains the whole movie within movie "Mant,' which runs about 20 mins (it's really all they shot for it, but it's a cool and rare extra to have).

http://www.shillpages.com/collect/matinee1993ld.gif

-UJ

Paff
10-24-2008, 02:52 AM
Matinee kicks major ass. And yes, only the LD has the complete Mant! footage. Joe Dante signed my copy a few years ago and commented on that.

Matinee is one of those films that I call a true "family film". So many so-called family films are really kids' movies that don't make adults vomit. But there are not many movies you can watch as a kid and totally enjoy it,then see it again as an adult and love it again on a completely different level. The other that immediately comes to mind is the original Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (as a kid, I never saw the total cynicism of Gene Wilder's Willy Wonka).

I love Matinee, and may have to put it in my LD to-watch pile. One other I'm going to spin is BlowOut, because it was the favorite film of a close friend of mine who recently died. Good as time as any to watch it.

Agentsusp
10-24-2008, 06:35 PM
I recently watched my Matinee LD last week. I did a double feature of that and Ed Wood

Paff
10-25-2008, 09:05 AM
2. Shivers

Still one of my favorite Cronenberg movies. Hope to get more LDs in before the end of the month, maybe I can hit double digits.

CesspoolOfSkull
10-25-2008, 12:13 PM
I've been spinning my old Tales From The Darkside laserdiscs, those are just some of my favorites I own, I have one of those badass really nice LD players from Pioneer that flip over by itself. I managed to gather all the Tales From The Darkside laserdiscs there are.. I had a chance to get the Japanese versions but I wouldn't have been able to deal with the annoying subtitles, I do wish my laserdisc player had component video atleast.. the picture still looks really excellent on my big screen even for being just s-video. I have quite a few laserdiscs, Blood Diner japanese LD, ROTLDII LD, Evil Dead 1, 2 and AOD Japanese laserdiscs, and my Anthrax POV Japanese laserdisc. I just wish the subtitles were removable on the Japanese ld's.

russweiss
10-25-2008, 08:16 PM
I had a large laser collection (over 700 discs) and when DVD first came out I bought a Pioneer combo laser/dvd player. I ended up selling the laser collection on Ebay and only kept about 5 titles (unfortunately I no longer have a player for them). Now with Blu-ray here it looks like I'll be doing some format changing again.

Paff
10-26-2008, 09:25 AM
I do wish my laserdisc player had component video atleast.. the picture still looks really excellent on my big screen even for being just s-video.

FYI, component outputs would be useless, as the video on LD is a composite format. In fact, S-Video is usually a step DOWN in video quality. You see, to get S-Video, the composite signal inherent on the disc must be separated into two components. To do this requires a "comb filter".

In general, the comb filter in a TV is better than the one in a Laserdisc player, thus you will have better performance on LD if you use the composite video out.

Dave
10-26-2008, 01:03 PM
Watched Puppet Master 4 and 5 lasers with the kids yesterday!

ekent
10-26-2008, 01:35 PM
In general, the comb filter in a TV is better than the one in a Laserdisc player, thus you will have better performance on LD if you use the composite video out.

I completely agree with this. Using my CLD-D406's S-Video output shows a significant loss in quality over the composite out. The same is true when I connect it to a PC.

I still haven't watched any lasers yet :mad:

Dave
10-26-2008, 02:24 PM
I completely agree with this. Using my CLD-D406's S-Video output shows a significant loss in quality over the composite out. The same is true when I connect it to a PC.

I still haven't watched any lasers yet :mad:

Looking at your list, I would recommend H20 or Dawn of the Dead. Speaking of which, got enough copies?

Reminds me that I need to get my remaining lasers into lddb.com someday.

Regurgitate
10-26-2008, 03:17 PM

I'll have to try out my laserdisc player again. I always used S-Video. Ever since I got an HDTV in 2001 LD's have been completely unwatchable for me. Good thing I only have about 70 of them.

ekent
10-26-2008, 03:43 PM
Looking at your list, I would recommend H20 or Dawn of the Dead. Speaking of which, got enough copies?

Oddly enough, no :) I still need the two German LDs, as well as the Japanese Dawn Conclusion set, then I'll have enough!

I love lddb, great design and information pool.

I might pop in H20, it has been a while.

Dave
10-26-2008, 03:52 PM
Oddly enough, no :) I still need the two German LDs, as well as the Japanese Dawn Conclusion set, then I'll have enough!

I love lddb, great design and information pool.

I might pop in H20, it has been a while.

Not a half bad movie. They should have ended the series there. Amazing DTS track, too.

What's the Conclusion set have?

Uncle Jay
10-27-2008, 04:14 PM
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o164/unclejay73/hitlist.jpg

Just picked up a shameless favorite of mine on Laserdisc, William Lustig's Hit List, released in 1989. This got a very limited release, I remember it being in like 2 theaters in Jersey. Great gratuitous, B-movie violence fun from Lustig, although one of his tamer works.

Great cast with Jan-Michael Vincent, Lance Henriksen, Leo Rossi, Charles Napier and Rip Torn! Not on DVD, so I'm reduced to this standard, bare-bones LD. Always loved the cover.

-UJ

ekent
10-27-2008, 04:34 PM
What's the Conclusion set have?

George Romero's "Zombie: Dawn of the Dead" Conclusion on Bandai/Emotion #BILF-9003 NTSC Japanese LaserDisc boxset. This 1998 fantastic deluxe package includes:

the feature film, 139 minutes, digitally restored, spread over 5 sides in CAV for best possible picture quality, 57 chapter stops, letterboxed, in English with Japanese subtitles

extras on the 6th side (also CAV): theater and TV trailers, radio spot, gallery of stills, photos of posters and collectors item

an OST CD, in cardboard sleeve, 10 tracks running over 32 minutes, music by Goblin in collaboration with Dario Argento
Each disc has its own sleeve with gorgeous artwork, the box is red and white on black with matching obi.

I'm just a collector. Nothing that isn't available on another release.

ekent
10-27-2008, 04:37 PM
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o164/unclejay73/hitlist.jpg

Now that looks awesome, I may have to track that down. I've never heard of it.

Paff
11-01-2008, 09:52 AM
Bummer. Only finished October with four.

3. Ring

Interesting to watch without subtitles. I've seen it enough times on DVD and know enough Japanese to get the gist of things...but I think next time I'll go with a subbed DVD.

4. The Blair Witch Project

While this doesn't scare me like it did the first time, I'm amazed at how well it still draws me in. I find myself totally engrossed in the story, I don't know why.

I'm thinking of making my Halloween movie marathon a 2-night affair this year, so maybe throw in a couple more LDs tomorrow night