PDA

View Full Version : Favorite American J-Horror Flick?

rhett
10-01-2008, 06:35 AM
PULSE 2 came out today for the handful who saw the original. There's been a glut of Asian remakes ever since THE RING brought in the dough six years ago. Which one is your favorite?

fattyjoe37
10-01-2008, 06:37 AM
I haven't loved any of them, but I think I liked The Grudge the best.

Angelman
10-01-2008, 06:38 AM
I liked the Korean re-make of Ringu, Ring Virus, although I guess that would technically be K-horror. K-horror by way of J-Horror...

onebyone
10-01-2008, 06:43 AM
I like several movies on the list, but The Ring is the only one that I think was better than the original so it got my vote.

However, The Ring 2 would get my vote for worst.

Paff
10-01-2008, 07:17 AM
Wow...I've only seen The Ring yet I own the original versions of 9 of the films listed (although are Ring 2 and Grudge 2 really remakes of the Japanese sequels, or more just sequels to the American remakes? I don't know, haven't seen 'em).

I'd also like to be the first to point out that 3 films listed are NOT Japanese originally! Sorry for being politically correct, but the title of the poll should really be "Favorite American ASIAN Horror remake".

Hank Hill: Are you Chinese, or Japanese?
Kahn Sousinousimphone: We're from Laos, stupid! A small land-locked country in Southeast Asia
Hank Hill: So are you Chinese, or Japanese?

rhett
10-01-2008, 07:28 AM
Wow...I've only seen The Ring yet I own the original versions of 9 of the films listed (although are Ring 2 and Grudge 2 really remakes of the Japanese sequels, or more just sequels to the American remakes? I don't know, haven't seen 'em).

I'd also like to be the first to point out that 3 films listed are NOT Japanese originally! Sorry for being politically correct, but the title of the poll should really be "Favorite American ASIAN Horror remake".

Hank Hill: Are you Chinese, or Japanese?
Kahn Sousinousimphone: We're from Laos, stupid! A small land-locked country in Southeast Asia
Hank Hill: So are you Chinese, or Japanese?
I wrote in the start of the thread that there have been a number of ASIAN remakes, so I was thinking with my politically correct hat, to be sure! The way I look at it, J-Horror is a sub-genre like slasher or giallo or anything else. It may have meant Japanese Horror, but by this point the tropes have become so widespread and imitated, it's really become a sub-genre severred from place. Just because SHUTTER was made in Thailand that doesn't mean it doesn't abide by almost all of the same principles of the J-Horror genre. Or THE EYE for that matter. Would "they all look the same" be too much out of line here? :D

indiephantom
10-01-2008, 08:26 AM
Wow. I guess I'm not much of a J-horror fan. The only original one I kind of liked was THE EYE, but I haven't seen the remake. Didn't care much for either version of THE RING, but it certainly was cooler than THE GRUDGE or MIRRORS.

AndiOne
10-01-2008, 10:06 AM
I think that the original Dark Waters was great!
But the remake sucks in every possible way!
It`s not an horror movie, it`s a drama about a singlemother
and here daughter..

Katatonia
10-01-2008, 10:21 AM
The Ring was about the only domestic remake I really enjoyed, the others were mostly garbage compared to the originals. The Grudge was terrible in both versions, original and remake.

Vlachio
10-01-2008, 11:19 AM
The Ring I liked that allot, MEH to the rest!!!

othervoice1
10-01-2008, 03:15 PM
The Grudge was terrible in both versions, original and remake.

The Ring was the only solid remake that I have seen so far. I loved the original japanese version of the Grudge but thought the american remake was bad.

j tea
10-01-2008, 05:32 PM
i actually liked the ring remake better than the original, so i voted for that. none of the others hold a candle to their predecessors.

Spit
10-01-2008, 06:04 PM
I havent seen any of these sequels, are any of the part 2's worth while? I really dug The Ring though, the grudge, the eye and pulse not so much. One missed call wasnt it bad, it had a few good parts. So my uneducated vote goes with The Ring.

dwatts
10-01-2008, 06:13 PM
I voted in this before realizing it was for remakes. :D

What a loser.

Anyway, they basically all suck, and are lesser films. My vote is a mistake.

Mutilated Prey
10-01-2008, 06:21 PM
Gonna have to go with The Ring.

spawningblue
10-01-2008, 06:51 PM
I loved the Ring. I thought Mirrors was good. Pulse was watchable. The Ring 2 was pretty bad. The Grudge I have only seen bits and pieces, but wasn't too impressed. I'll have to give it another look though. The rest I have yet to see, as well, I haven't seen any of the originals. Not a fan of Asian cinema, at least what I've seen of it. Most of the movies I've seen always have humour that I guess I just don't get, and I thought Ichi the Killer was terrible beyond belief! I do want to see some of the originals of these though, and hopefully they will change my mind, as I've heard good things about them. Although the whole creepy kid thing is getting a little stale.

satans-sadists
10-01-2008, 07:08 PM
Most of these remakes were pretty weak. The Ring was an exception though.

zompirejoe
10-02-2008, 02:44 AM
My vote goes to The Ring. That remake is way better than all the rest. Part 2 wasn't that great, but the first one is very enjoyable.

rhett
10-03-2008, 07:54 AM
Definitely one of the closer polls we've had...

Gore Lunatic
10-04-2008, 02:09 AM
I have yet to see Pulse 2 & Mirrors. I've seen the rest though & The Ring beats them out.

Rockmjd
10-04-2008, 02:11 AM
The Ring was the only one of those that I've seen that doesn't take a dump on the original. Haven't seen Mirrors yet though.

Body Boy
10-05-2008, 01:41 AM
The Ring, because it didn't suck. :D Hehe.
But really, that film was great, and the rest...were...different.

thrashard76
10-05-2008, 08:19 AM
The Ring

Harry Warden
10-05-2008, 01:13 PM
The Ring would be my top choice, but I'd put Dark Water at a close second.

Kim Bruun
10-05-2008, 07:57 PM
I have to go with the Grudge - it perfected the best parts og the Japanese ones and made the characters more distinguishable (I had trouble telling the characters apart in the Japanese big screen version). The remake of The Ring misses the ominous ambience of the original badly, and the remake of Dark Water felt really tired.

indrid13
10-06-2008, 04:16 AM
The Ring and then The Grudge and The Grudge 2.

Uncle Jay
10-17-2008, 07:55 PM
These remakes need to stop, or shall I say, remakes that are truly unnecessary. It is clearly an embarrassment to us Americans, as it is to Hollywood (which is already an embarrassment to begin with), when we need to remake Psycho and The Omen for Christ's sake! Japan can truly point the finger and laugh at us, as we are remaking practically their entire horror library, and remaking it poorly I might add. I am sure there are great, original ideas being pitched around Tinseltown, but executives are just too fuckin' stupid to know it and or, just unwilling to give that No Name a chance. Thank God for independent films.

When Hollywood overhears about a great original Japanese horror film doing great biz in Japan with a cult following here in the States, they say "Okay, let's rewrite it with a happier ending and throw Jessica Alba or Sarah Michelle Gellar in it and tone it down to a PG-13 so we can get the teenagers' $10.50 as well. Money in the bank." FUCKIN' BULLSHIT!!!

They need to end this remake madness, it's becoming a joke.

As far as the poll: of what's listed, I've only seen The Ring, Pulse and Dark Water. I guess my vote would go to The Ring, because at least it's somewhat well-produced, entertaining and nicely acted. I'd like my vote to go to Mirrors, because I think Alexandre Aja is a gift to horror cinema of late...but I have yet to see it, and won't vote till I do.

-UJ

spawningblue
10-17-2008, 08:06 PM
These remakes need to stop, or shall I say, remakes that are truly unnecessary. It is clearly an embarrassment to us Americans, as it is to Hollywood (which is already an embarrassment to begin with), when we need to remake Psycho and The Omen for Christ's sake! Japan can truly point the finger and laugh at us, as we are remaking practically their entire horror library, and remaking it poorly I might add. I am sure there are great, original ideas being pitched around Tinseltown, but executives are just too fuckin' stupid to know it and or, just unwilling to give that No Name a chance. Thank God for independent films.

When Hollywood overhears about a great original Japanese horror film doing great biz in Japan with a cult following here in the States, they say "Okay, let's rewrite it with a happier ending and throw Jessica Alba or Sarah Michelle Gellar in it and tone it down to a PG-13 so we can get the teenagers' $10.50 as well. Money in the bank." FUCKIN' BULLSHIT!!!

They need to end this remake madness, it's becoming a joke.

As far as the poll: of what's listed, I've only seen The Ring, Pulse and Dark Water. I guess my vote would go to The Ring, because at least it's somewhat well-produced, entertaining and nicely acted. I'd like my vote to go to Mirrors, because I think Alexandre Aja is a gift to horror cinema of late...but I have yet to see it, and won't vote till I do.

-UJ

Trick R Treat is a great example of this. Ridiculous that this hasn't been released when so much other crap has.

mclay18
10-21-2008, 02:25 AM
The Ring and then The Grudge and The Grudge 2.

I actually second that.

I didn't think any of those flicks were really bad -- but The Grudge 2 had a really confusing multi-narrative story... and how did Kayako get into the Chicago apartment complex?

I did like the fact that The Grudge 2 actually went with an original story as opposed to remaking the original sequel. (The Japanese sequel had a story revolving around a news crew who visits the haunted house.)