PDA

View Full Version : It's HAPPENING...another contest!

rhett
10-05-2008, 07:38 PM
After suffering bad will (THE VILLAGE) and bad box office (LADY IN THE WATER), M. Night Shyamalan came roaring back with his Hard R ode to global warming, THE HAPPENING. Starring Marky Mark and the REAL GIRL, Zooey Deschanel, the film has a lot to offer for horror buffs, and thankfully Fox has a few to offer to HORROR DIGITAL members. The movie streets on October 7th on Blu-ray and DVD with a bunch of extras. We've got three DVD copies to give away, all you have to do is tell us what is your favorite M. Night Shyamalan movie, and why?

Cite a favorite scene, favorite performance, or just an overall impression, it's up to you. Winners will be chosen randomly a week from today on Sunday, October 12th, when our new contest will be announced.

http://horrordigital.com/vb3forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4978&d=1223231871

So again, post in this thread and tell us, what is your favorite M. Night Shyamalan movie, and why?

Mutilated Prey
10-05-2008, 07:52 PM
I'm going to have to go with The Sixth Sense. Bruce Willis was awesome in it, and it was one of those movies that definitely tricked me. Excellent ending - might be one of the best "twist" movies ever.

Copyboy
10-05-2008, 08:00 PM
I've seen all of his movies except The Happening and of all his previous films, I'd have to say that my favorite M. Night Shyamalan movie has not been made yet. Maybe it will be The Happening. And maybe it won't.

addicted2dvd
10-05-2008, 08:19 PM
I will have to say The Sixth Sense as well. I remember seeing that movie in the theater with my niece and my sis-in-law... and all 3 of us enjoyed it. I liked it for not only the twist... but for the good work they did on all the ghosts. the ghosts in this movie ranged from entertaining to right creepy. Yup... The Sixth Sense would definitely have to be my favorite.

Mok
10-05-2008, 08:44 PM
What I really liked about The Happening was lack of explanation. M. Night left a lot up to the viewer to figure out for themselves, much like the characters on screen. I went in knowing that the dialogue had a strangely juvenile feel to it so that didn't bother me so much.

Fave M. Night flick would have to be Signs. I watched that movie while coming off meds so I was sort of in a strange daze. The part at the birthday party actually shocked me enough to make me jump in my seat :p

rhett
10-05-2008, 08:49 PM
Fave M. Night flick would have to be Signs. I watched that movie while coming off meds so I was sort of in a strange daze.
Best reason for liking a movie. Ever. :lol:

onebyone
10-05-2008, 09:14 PM
The Sixth Sense for me, because it was the only one that I have seen that wasn't just god awful and pathetic.

Hellbilly
10-05-2008, 09:18 PM
The Sixth Sense because its just an awesome and thrilling ride. I actually prefer this one over [I]Stir Of Echoes :eek1:

_pi_
10-05-2008, 09:22 PM
Signs is my favorite Shyamalan film - it's simply so sensational, such a fun ride. I know it has huge logic loopholes and that it makes no sense under close scrutiny, but seeing that film in a theatre, I was thrilled, scared and entertained throughout. I totally loved it, and still do. I think Shyamalan the director is a lot more talented than Shyamalan the screenwriter, which is why I've come to accept and somewhat enjoy his later offerings. I still despise The Village, though.

Johnny Macabre
10-05-2008, 09:25 PM
Shyamalan has made a lot of great movies. Signs and Unbreakable come to mind... But Unbreakanle is my favorite. What always attracked me to that movie is the way Shyamalan direct. I love the fact that he almost never cut, using long shots and the most original angles.

The first time Bruce Willis is fighting with the child molester is such a great scene, being shot from outside the house and only showing us the action from the windows with the curtains flying in the wind!

indiephantom
10-05-2008, 09:26 PM
The Happening is actually my favorite from Shyamalan. I've seen all of his films, and usually end up finding more to dislike. In this case, though, the opening 45 minutes or so are really solid and the film held my attention. I hiope there is more of that kind of stuff in the unrated version. Always enjoy films where ordinary people start to mysteriously hurt themselves or others out of the blue and without obvious motivation, guided by an unseen force. That's creepy.

Unbreakable was an okay film, too, but I would most likely not rewatch it.

old-boo-radley
10-05-2008, 09:36 PM
My favorite? The Happening 'cause it's got MARKY MARK, yo.

KR~!
10-05-2008, 09:36 PM
I never ever win these things but what the hell, I will go with Unbreakable, since it is one of the most realistic superhero films that I have seen.

Katatonia
10-05-2008, 09:46 PM
Signs, since it's the only film of his I've ever wanted to view a second time. :p

Mattapooh
10-05-2008, 10:33 PM
Signs, if just for the Brazilian birthday party scene. If you saw that for the first time and didn't jump, you're way too desensitized. That was one of the scariest scenes of any movie and there really wasn't anything even happening! No cheesy jump scare, no loud noises, just a bucketful of suspense and an alien walking by. Still gives me the willies!

Spacevis
10-05-2008, 10:37 PM
It's so hard to pick a favourite. I think I'd have to go with Unbreakable since that's what my gut is telling me. Visually stunning, good acting and it opens a door to your own imagination since the ending just leaves you hanging. With this movie he showed me his infamous twist endings are actually very secondary.

bwana the clown
10-05-2008, 10:52 PM
Haven't seen The Lady In The Water, or The Happening yet, but my vote goes to Unbreakable. Easily. I popped in the DVD with low expectations (having been completely underwhelmed by 6th sense), but wound up really loving it. A great premise and a great ending which I did NOT see coming. Although it doesn't just rely on the ending for its impact, as there are several very tense and suspenseful moments throughout. Good stuff!

dwatts
10-05-2008, 11:38 PM
Fave M. Night flick would have to be Signs. I watched that movie while coming off meds so I was sort of in a strange daze.

Surely the ONLY way to enjoy the movie. Not without Meds. Not while on them. But in that middle ground where you're convinced you're fine, but really you're still messed up. :D

SaviniFan
10-05-2008, 11:40 PM
Unbreakable. Nice start to what was supposed to be a trilogy. Perhaps it is a blessing that it didn't do so hot at the box office as it has all been downhill for Shamalamadingdong since.

stl7dust
10-06-2008, 12:06 AM
My favorite film from the director is Signs. My favorite scene is the climax standoff between the family and the alien. It might seem simple, yet the whole film is about simplicity. There is something powerful and uplifting about that scene.

Rockmjd
10-06-2008, 12:28 AM
Every one of his movies has been worse than the previous one. The Sixth sense is a near-masterpiece, Unbreakable was a good follow up. Signs had some good moments. The Village was average, Lady in the Water poor, and The Happening awful .

rxfiend
10-06-2008, 12:42 AM
Signs is my favorite. I loved how it showed from a normal person's perspective the leading up and eventual alien invasion.

Unbreakable is good too, especially the ending. Too bad that mythology never got expanded on.

Regurgitate
10-06-2008, 01:18 AM
I lose. I don't like any M. Night Ramalamadingdong movies.

othervoice1
10-06-2008, 01:59 AM
The most popular choice will be my choice - The Sixth Sense - Best movie he ever has and ever will do. I liked the Sixth Sense because , even though it loses something after the initial viewing, I thought it had a great story and good acting and the first time I watched it I was actually not smart enough to see the great twist at the end coming. I enjoyed Signs and I actually enjoyed Unbreakable as well even though I hear a lot of love/hate for both of those.

Spit
10-06-2008, 02:20 AM
Mattapooh already brought this up, but I totally agree with him. My favorite scene in a M. Night Shyamalan film has to be that part in Signs at the Brazilian birthday party. Best jump scare ever. I remember watching that in theaters on opening night. An when that alien flashed across the background all the little hairs on my arms stood on end. It had a huge effect, people in the theater flipped out, everyone in the audience gasped all at once. Creepy stuff.

The Chaostar
10-06-2008, 02:45 AM
Easily Unbreakable. The slow pace and the very esoteric (yet dramatic) performances give the film a metaphysical aura that's very close to a Tarkovsky film - and Shyamalan weaves a deeply existential thread into this that yet again leads to Tarkovsky's Sacrifice (especially if you take into account that S.L.Jackson's character actually sacrifices himself, searching for the man in the other side of the line who will, eventually, but him behind bars - that's why he killed all those poeple after all...).
For me, Unbreakable is one of the finest films ever to come out of the US in the last 10 years.
Bruce Willis' first triumph as a super-hero is a scene to be taught at universities -
and James newton Howard has never composed a better score.

Ash J. Williams
10-06-2008, 04:36 AM
The Happening I very much love, and the same goes for Lady. But my favorite would have to be Unbreakable. The film oozes talent from every frame and the ending affected me much more than that of The Sixth Sense. Upon repeated viewings, both are still strong movies, but Unbreakable wins every time.

Mortis
10-06-2008, 04:41 AM
Signs because aliens are creepy.

soxfan666
10-06-2008, 04:54 AM
My favorite movie of his is The Sixth Sense but, scene is in Signs, the alien arm grab in the basement.

WhatTHEhell19
10-06-2008, 06:48 AM
I have to go with the popular choice here as well; my favorite movie of his has to be The Sixth Sense. It's just a great overall ghost story.

A close second would have to be Signs. I just love the birthday party scene in that movie. Probably one of the creepiest alien moments in film.

thrashard76
10-06-2008, 07:01 AM
The Sixth Sense is his best movie. I was genuinely shocked by the end of the movie. I wasn't prepared for that final outcome and in the end made me want to rewatch the movie to try and find the subtle hints that were left throughout the movie.

Misanthrope666
10-06-2008, 07:04 AM
My favorite M Night movie is The Sixth Sense. That movie is his most "horror" of all his filmography and arguably his most effective as it seems as though it has been all down hill for him since then. Sixth Sense is my favorite because at the time M. Night's films were a breath of fresh air. Everything about that movie was perfect; the plot, the scares, the use of the color red to subconsciously alert the audience that something scary was going to happen, and of course the brilliant twist at the end.

fattyjoe37
10-06-2008, 10:24 AM
My favorite is Signs. Very suspensful, but also fun at the same time. Great performances all around.

maskull
10-06-2008, 11:44 AM
I love Unbreakable. The look of the film, the comic-related story, the actors. It just works on all levels for me.

Mok
10-06-2008, 02:39 PM
Surely the ONLY way to enjoy the movie. Not without Meds. Not while on them. But in that middle ground where you're convinced you're fine, but really you're still messed up. :D

That's exactly how it was too. I was just sort of sitting on the couch under a blanky :p trying not to move my neck (throat surgery) and I just got swept up in the story. Still though, I think there is some legitimate quality to the film even without meds. The family makeup of Gibson and his brother and two children was quite charming.

MorallySound
10-06-2008, 04:06 PM
I actually really enjoyed The Village. It reminded me a lot of the book The Crysalids which I really liked when I read it in high school. It's really not as bad as everyone thinks it is.

CrazyFatEthel
10-06-2008, 05:12 PM
The Sixth Sense is one of my fav horror movies of all time, because it was so sophisticated. So my vote will always be for The Sixth Sense!!:banana:

bigdaddyhorse
10-06-2008, 05:15 PM
I love Unbreakable. The look of the film, the comic-related story, the actors. It just works on all levels for me.

I agree with this, although Sixth Sense is a super-close second and somedays probably gets the #1 spot. If SS had Sam Jackson or anything about comics it would've won. I can still watch both and enjoy the heel out them even knowing the twist.
Everything since has ranged from O.K. (Village), to fucking awful (Lady in the Water). Not sure if I even want to see The Happening again, but after the "Mark Walhberg Talks to Animals" skit on SNL, it could yield huge comic value. "Say hi to your mother for me":lol::lol:

Lone Wolf
10-06-2008, 05:22 PM
The Sixth Sense. Some nice thrills and a good twist at the end. Only one I have seen so far that I feel I would watch again.

uradouche
10-06-2008, 07:13 PM
Sixth Sense. He launched a sub-genre, launched and relaunched a few actors careers. I don't think films like The Ring or any of the modern ghost stories could have been made without this film.

allmessedup
10-06-2008, 07:27 PM
THE SIXTH SENSE was a well constructed film---I came into it already knowing the twist ending, but it didn't take away from seeing it unfold.

I didn't mind UNBREAKABLE. I'm actually somewhat interested in seeing THE HAPPENING, although I haven't seen a film of his since SIGNS.

spawningblue
10-06-2008, 09:19 PM
Even though I enjoy Sixth Sense and Signs quite a bit, I have to go with Unbreakable. It was cool to see a realistic take on a super hero, where he doesn't put tights on or fight super villains, instead his adversary is just your every day sicko, someone that you could walk by on the street every day and not think twice. Willis and Jackson give phenomenal performances, and I just enjoy the whole quaintness of it all. The whole movie just kind of has a relaxing feel to it, more about dialog and character development then action scenes and explosions. It also has great replay value, where as Sixth Sense is more or less about the surprise ending and Signs falters a bit at its conclusion.

Oh, and I never got to truly experience the Sixth Sense for the first time, as a friend of mine ruined the ending for me before I saw it. That bastard! haha. The Village I hated, and even though I have it sitting in my to watch pile, I have yet to see Lady in the Water.

boycrieswolf
10-06-2008, 11:16 PM
My personal favorite of his films is definately Unbreakable. I guess because when I first saw it I really didn't know what to expect and the fact that it's a very subtle superhero story was a pleasing surprise. Sam Jackson's character is well played and you just feel for his condition throughout the film...Signs was a blast too, but not too much replay value. Definately Unbreakable for me.

Harry Warden
10-07-2008, 01:22 AM
The Sixth Sense. His first and still the best, though Signs was pretty good too. I like the end when Haley Joel Osmet tells his mother about the bumble bee pendant, and she finally realizes that he has never lied to her, and that he has a "sixth sense". I also liked all of the inserted shots of the dead that he can actually see.

Bristlebane
10-07-2008, 04:42 AM
I would have to go with the Sixth Sense. The overall atmosphere of the movie was creepy and the ending actually caught me by surprise.

KGBRadioMoskow
10-07-2008, 05:25 AM
With this movie (Unbreakable) he showed me his infamous twist endings are actually very secondary.

It wasn't the twist that made that ending, it was the emotional impact. If you didn't feel sympathy for Jackson's character's plight even in the face of how it twisted his actions to such horrid deeds, then your heart may well need a jump start. To date its the only film Shyamalan has done that has consistently stood up for me over repeat viewings - but again I think its the acting, mostly Jackson's, that holds it up.

The Chaostar
10-07-2008, 02:58 PM
Good to see Unbreakable fans out there...

Workshed
10-07-2008, 05:36 PM
Unbreakable combines my love of comics with good storytelling. I thought it was a really well done film, and I remember walking out of the theater very impressed with the director--that he could tackle the subject matter in a mature manner without losing any of its superhero impact. Shyamalan is obviously a fan, but he didn't let that get in the way of the story he wanted to tell. Rather, he used it to tell the story.

I haven't seen LitW or The Happening, but Unbreakable is by far my favorite.

Ptflea2
10-07-2008, 07:32 PM
Sixth Sense, simply because it's the only film of his not to have the overblown hype before it was released.

The Chaostar
10-07-2008, 07:49 PM
Sixth Sense, simply because it's the only film of his not to have the overblown hype before it was released.

Sorry, I don't get that, it sounds foolish. Since we are adults, our relation to things we like is personal, isn't it? You are saying that regardless of the film itself, you are in favor, or against one, based on the hype. In that case, DARK KNIGHT is a piece of shit.

KGBRadioMoskow
10-07-2008, 09:25 PM
In that case, DARK KNIGHT is a piece of shit.

It is a piece of shit...

http://www.coldwarpeacemuseum.org/images/duck-n-cover-280.jpg

Darga
10-07-2008, 11:31 PM
The Sixth Sense, I guess, although I didn't get to achieve full enjoyment. After hearing over and over about the wild plot twist, once I finally got a chance to sit down and watch the film it was all I was looking for and figured it out halfway through. Another fine example of why I try to know as little as possible about a film before heading into it.

lakini71
10-08-2008, 12:13 AM
The Sixth Sense is my favorite. I remember seeing it opening night and being shocked by the ending, and getting a few goosebumps along the way. Plus, Toni Collette is terrific in it; I can watch her final scene in the car over and over again and still be affected. Signs and Unbreakable are pretty much tied in second place.

Darkside
10-08-2008, 02:29 AM
Unbreakable, just because when the last moment of SLJ talking reveals that he did all of that f*cked up stuff just to prove that there was a super hero in the world, that took the cake for me.

Spacevis
10-08-2008, 03:27 PM
It wasn't the twist that made that ending, it was the emotional impact. If you didn't feel sympathy for Jackson's character's plight even in the face of how it twisted his actions to such horrid deeds, then your heart may well need a jump start. To date its the only film Shyamalan has done that has consistently stood up for me over repeat viewings - but again I think its the acting, mostly Jackson's, that holds it up.

That's exactly what I meant. The twist became secondary. It's what everybody was talking about after sixth sense, but Unbreakable wasn't about the twist ending at all - although lots of people kept mentioning how bad they thought "the twist ending" was. Unbreakable is much more about the characters and the relations they maintain ... even if they're not aware of it. For a superhero to emerge, he needs a nemesis ... and, as the movie shows, vice versa.

I'm under the impression that Shyamalan is one of the most misunderstood and underestimated directors of this time. He makes non-hollywood movies in hollywood, which distorts most people's perception. It's all about the context you place him in, IMO.

hegemon13
10-08-2008, 04:20 PM
I would have to say that it's a toss-up between Unbreakable and Signs. I think those two are the least reliant on the twist ending, and are therefore more rewatchable. If I had to pick an absolute favorite between the two, it would probably be Signs for it's creepy atmosphere and fantastic performances, but that is just my mood today. Note that I haven't seen The Happening yet, so I can't comment on it's place compared to the others. I really want to see it, though, so I would be thrilled to win the DVD.

nixriddler
10-08-2008, 08:44 PM
The best film by Shyamalan is easily "Unbreakable." Not only does it have the best drawn characters out of all of his films (perfectly embodied by Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson), but it is the only film by this director to have a "twist" ending which seems completely organic to the nature of the film!

th3480
10-09-2008, 03:15 AM
Although I feel (sorry Heroes) that "Unbreakable" is the definitive superhero origin film, and a darn good movie to boot...

...I am going to have to select "Signs" as my favorite M. Night film. I can cite numerous reasons why, but I think only one will suffice:

That incredibly creepy scene, involving the child's birthday party, and something in the bushes outside the window. Seeing that in the theater made me just about jump out of my seat.

Well played M., well played indeed.

roland
10-09-2008, 05:27 PM
My Favorite movie by M. Night would be the Village. I have not encountered so many goosebumps as I did when watching this film for the first time. The atmosphere (which is always the most important thing in any horror film) is fantastic. Dark woods.....misty plains.....lanterns and moon-lit fields....these prepared me to for the terrifying sequences which ensued. I found particularly frightening the scenes with the creature moving underneath the watch tower and where the villagers are running to their homes, fleeing in terror from the creatures. The setting, atmosphere and music thrust the foreboding story onto me with such intensity. I grinned as I recognized an emotion which was all too lacking in most of my movie-watching experiences......fear.

Laxfright89
10-09-2008, 06:45 PM
People who haven't seen Lady in the Water are quick to mock it but I have to say it is by far by favorite of Night's films. For starters, Paul Giamatti gives an absolutely touching performance. When he heals Bryce Dallas Howard's character at the end of the movie by speaking to his murdered family members it is nothing short of oscar worthy. Also incredibly moving is the scene in which Night's character discovers that he will be killed for creating the work he feels he needs to publish - when James Newton Howard's strings kick in right there and if I happen to have a beer or two in my system, my eyes are going to tear up. There's a reason this score has been borrowed by a few Hollywood features since Lady in the Water was released.

On top of all that, Christopher Doyle's cinematography confirms his position as one of the top DP's in the business. It's shot with a really richly colored soft, blurred visual style that looks like no other movie out there.

Teenage boys never saw the movie because they were too self conscious to see the most tonally perfect film since E.T. Critics crapped all over the film because Night had the balls to make Bob Balaban's critic character seem like a pretentious dick. In reality, when he killed off the character of the critic, Night wasn't giving the middle finger to critics, but rather saying, even those who are experts in story telling and narrative never can predict their fate. This message fits beautifully into the film's theme of not knowing what one can achieve or the impact that one can have on the world (Bryce Dallas Howard's character didn't know she was meant to lead).

Finally, what's so cool about the movie, that is actually quite similar to The Happening is that there is truly an ensemble cast of layered characters that over the course of the story fall into and out of importance. It sets the bar for great story telling.

DrHerbertWest
10-10-2008, 05:40 PM
I agree with the alien scene in Signs. I also would say it's my favorite movie of his although I do like Sixth Sense too. I'm not even going to front when I say I like Signs a lot.

dwatts
10-11-2008, 02:39 AM
I think everyone who voted for Signs should be banned from competitions. :D

rhett
10-13-2008, 03:15 AM
Random.org has spoken. The winners of a DVD copy of THE HAPPENING are:

Harry Warden
Mok
Rockmjd

Congrats to all and thanks for the lively discussion. Shyamalan is certainly one of the more polarizing directors working today, although the poles are increasingly pointing to negative these days...

Hellbilly
10-13-2008, 03:17 AM
Congrats!

Workshed
10-13-2008, 03:35 AM
congrats to the winnahs!

onebyone
10-13-2008, 03:40 AM
Congratulations to the winners... I think :nervous:

indiephantom
10-13-2008, 03:47 AM
Congratulations to the winners! Looking forward to the next contest. :banana:

MorallySound
10-13-2008, 04:00 AM
Congrats to the winners!

Spit
10-13-2008, 04:14 AM
Congratz!!!

frankmon
10-13-2008, 08:50 PM
I felt this one had better characters than "6th Sense" and was subtler than "Unbreakable".

This was a far different invasion flick than the norm. No huge spaceships blowing up landmarks and not a "ray gun" to be found. The whole religious subplot was also nicely subdued and another example of how quiet can sometimes be more compelling than pea soup(and I'm an atheist).

dwatts
10-14-2008, 02:22 AM
Hey, Mok won! Well done mate!

Darkside
10-14-2008, 09:33 PM
Awesome! Congrats to the winners!

thrashard76
10-15-2008, 06:35 AM
Congrats!

geeare
10-15-2008, 05:13 PM
grats to everyone, sorry i missed it.

KR~!
10-15-2008, 05:24 PM
Hurray I lose again, but congrats to the winners, I hope they burn in.. happiness.

see twist ending :)

Mok
10-15-2008, 08:21 PM
Kick-ass! :banana: :banana: :banana: