PDA

View Full Version : Classics still non-anamorphic on DVD

rhett
10-08-2008, 07:13 PM
With the re-release of CHILD'S PLAY, the list of classic cult films still unavailable anamorphic in Region 1 shrank a spot. Too bad there's still several dozens of major releases that haven't been brought down the 16x9 train. From the list, which non-anamorphic film are you waiting to see anamorphic most?

I never include others on my polls, because I am an asshole, but this time I'll make an exception so we can try to make a definitive list of DVDs that are still non-anamorphic.

Get listing, friends!

rhett
10-08-2008, 07:19 PM
Not horror, but here's a few other big titles still non-anamorphic:

Armageddon
True Lies

Aren't there still some Universal Hitchcock still languishing in letterbox?

Shannafey
10-08-2008, 07:33 PM
I would not consider a lot of those classics!!

Stige
10-08-2008, 07:36 PM
voted madman from the choice as the majority are available on region 2 ( my zone)

Hellbilly
10-08-2008, 07:51 PM
The Abyss: SE (Lenticular Special Edition) I bought that came out in 2007 says Anamorphic Widescreen on the back. I hope that wasn't a misprint :(
Voted for From Dusk Til Dawn. Needs 16:9 pronto.

rhett
10-08-2008, 07:52 PM
Hey, who am I to argue with a chimp with a gun? :D

rhett
10-08-2008, 07:52 PM
The Abyss: SE (Lenticular Special Edition) I bought that came out in 2007 says Anamorphic Widescreen on the back. I hope that wasn't a misprint :(
Voted for From Dusk Til Dawn. Needs 16:9 pronto.
It's a misprint, I'm afraid. :(

RickMoe
10-08-2008, 08:06 PM
TREMORS has been reissued in Anamorphic. The R1 "Attack Pack" has all 4 TREMORS flicks in Anamorphic Widescreen.

(TREMORS 1 and 2 were initially released individually in non-Anamorphic).

X-human
10-08-2008, 08:07 PM
I voted Sleepless because it still needs to be released uncut R1 as well.

The Chaostar
10-08-2008, 08:16 PM
Some of those are 16/9 in R2 land.

Mutilated Prey
10-08-2008, 08:34 PM

Good point.

However, I voted for MadMan!

Silent Noize
10-08-2008, 08:36 PM
From Dusk Till Dawn needs some anamorphic.

rhett
10-08-2008, 08:38 PM
TREMORS has been reissued in Anamorphic. The R1 "Attack Pack" has all 4 TREMORS flicks in Anamorphic Widescreen.

(TREMORS 1 and 2 were initially released individually in non-Anamorphic).
I had read reports that the first was still non-anamorphic, but I guess since there's an HD DVD floating around, they must have gotten to it at some point. I'll remove it from the list.

satans-sadists
10-08-2008, 08:53 PM
Piranha.

burieddeep
10-08-2008, 09:14 PM
The Exterminator

fart_mike
10-08-2008, 09:23 PM
went with Madman...hell, a blue underground rerelease of this one would make my day

KamuiX
10-08-2008, 09:46 PM
Voted for The Abyss because I had NO IDEA the DVD I had was mis-labeled. Haven't watched it since I picked it up (need a nice chunk of time to devote to watching it in one sitting), and I'm pretty disappointed in hearing it isn't anamorphic. Can't even use the "auto" feature on my TV that eliminates the letterbox on non-anamorphic DVD's since the film is in 2.35:1. Lame :(

Would have voted Sleepless, but I have the MIA R2 import.

Shannafey
10-08-2008, 10:42 PM
I voted Sleepless because it still needs to be released uncut R1 as well.

Yeah, I ended up picking up the R2 on that one. Good movie and not only is it in full screen on R1, it is cut to hell!

Gore Lunatic
10-08-2008, 11:05 PM
I voted for Madman but they all need some anamorphic lovin'.

Kim Bruun
Great to see so much love for Madman - I'd upgrade for an anamorphic transfer or a bluray disc.

ekent
I vote Madman, only because I'd like to see a SE of it.

shape22
10-08-2008, 11:19 PM
I voted H6. There are definitely better movies on this list. But if anything cries out for a special edition, this has to be it. The Producer's Cut is long overdue for an official release and they could use seemless branching technology to give us both versions on one disk.

I enjoy a lot of the others listed as well. But it would be a real pleasure to see a 16:9 release of the alternate cut. I would love to be able to toss my crappy bootleg versions.

Cujo108
10-08-2008, 11:50 PM
Escape From L.A., preferably with Carpenter/Russell commentary as well. Underrated film. I love it just as much as Escape From New York, perhaps even more. The social commentary is spot-on.

Vlachio
10-09-2008, 12:58 AM
Scream deserves a nice 2 dvd special edition.

Katatonia
10-09-2008, 01:14 AM
The Abyss and Madman would be most welcome in 16x9

Matt89
10-09-2008, 02:24 AM
Hmmm...let's see, tons of MGM DVDs are still non-anamorphic.

New York, New York (MGM re-released this last year as a SE with the same non-anamorphic transfer)
Kiss Me Deadly
The Fugitive Kind
The Misfits
Birdman of Alcatraz
Exodus

And from Warner Bros:
Giant
Barry Lyndon
Lolita

These are three films that really deserve an anamorphic transfer.

But I'm really getting sick of MGM's bullshit. Seriously, they are the fucking stupidest company when it comes to releasing DVDs. They STILL release non-anamorphic widescreen and pan and scan flipper discs. It's 2008, get with it you fucking morons. It's like they hate their own films. Ever since I got a widescreen TV, honestly, nothing annoys me more than a non-anamorphic disc.

~Matt

Mark Relford
10-09-2008, 02:29 AM
Innocent Blood. It needs an upgrade badly, not to mention some extras.

Katatonia
10-09-2008, 02:35 AM
But I'm really getting sick of MGM's bullshit. Seriously, they are the fucking stupidest company when it comes to releasing DVDs. They STILL release non-anamorphic widescreen and pan and scan flipper discs. It's 2008, get with it you fucking morons. It's like they hate their own films. Ever since I got a widescreen TV, honestly, nothing annoys me more than a non-anamorphic disc.

~Matt

Add Lions Gate to that list. They still release non-16x9 discs, and even falsely label discs as anamorphic upgrades when they're not, i.e. the Freeway reissue.

old-boo-radley
10-09-2008, 02:08 PM
What, no one gives a shit that Aenigma is non-anamorphic?!

Ash28M
10-09-2008, 02:35 PM
Does Psycho have a anamorphic release yet?

skinnypuppy
10-09-2008, 04:10 PM
Innocent Blood. It needs an upgrade badly, not to mention some extras.

I agree...even a commentary track or something would do.

It's me, Billy
10-09-2008, 06:22 PM
Does Psycho have a anamorphic release yet?

Yes. Psycho has had a 16x9 enhanced transfer since 2005 when the Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection Box Set was released. However, that was only available in the Box Set. It took an additional three years to get an individual release of Psycho with an anamorphic transfer, but that finally happened this week (Oct. 7) with the release of the 2-Disc Legacy Series Special Edition. (It shouldn't have taken three years to get this released individually.)

And I agree with the votes for Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers, Halloween 7, and Scream. I thought for sure Dimension was going to rerelease Halloween 6 and 7 on DVD with anamorphic transfers when Rob Zombie's remake hit theaters last year. What a wasted opportunity. At this point I don't expect it to ever happen. And it doesn't make any sense, especially when you consider how big of a movie H20 was at the time. I think the only hope we have for these films is a Blu-ray release.

And Scream really is a puzzler. As popular as it was, Dimension is letting it rot on DVD with a 4x3 letterbox transfer of the R-rated theatrical cut. I finally broke down about a year ago and bought a bootleg which contains the unrated director's cut with a 16x9 enhanced transfer. And it looks outstanding - like an official release.

Ash28M
10-09-2008, 08:42 PM
Yes. Psycho has had a 16x9 enhanced transfer since 2005 when the Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection Box Set was released. However, that was only available in the Box Set. It took an additional three years to get an individual release of Psycho with an anamorphic transfer, but that finally happened this week (Oct. 7) with the release of the 2-Disc Legacy Series Special Edition. (It shouldn't have taken three years to get this released individually.)

Thanks I didn't know that. i guess I'll wait till it's on Blu-Ray to upgrade.

rhett
10-09-2008, 09:06 PM
Hmmm...let's see, tons of MGM DVDs are still non-anamorphic.

New York, New York (MGM re-released this last year as a SE with the same non-anamorphic transfer)
Kiss Me Deadly
The Fugitive Kind
The Misfits
Birdman of Alcatraz
Exodus

And from Warner Bros:
Giant
Barry Lyndon
Lolita

These are three films that really deserve an anamorphic transfer.

~Matt
Most of these releases are the controversial 1.66:1 aspect ratio. While I'd rather see them 16x9 with black bars on the sides, that can make for an especially tiny image for the joe blow with the standard def. television (which is still the vast majority). I'm still crying inside because of Warner's neglect of LYNDON on their updated Kubrick set. It's pretty lame to just skip over that film while the rest get pristine transfers. The fact that it's the only film of the bunch to get the Oscar for cinematography makes it an even more laughable oversight.

Camp Blood
10-10-2008, 03:37 AM
I have the region 2 of Dusk till Dawn, it's 16:9 and the quality's pretty good. I would love for an official release of Halloween 6 the producer's cut.

Matt89
10-10-2008, 03:51 AM
Most of these releases are the controversial 1.66:1 aspect ratio. While I'd rather see them 16x9 with black bars on the sides, that can make for an especially tiny image for the joe blow with the standard def. television (which is still the vast majority). I'm still crying inside because of Warner's neglect of LYNDON on their updated Kubrick set. It's pretty lame to just skip over that film while the rest get pristine transfers. The fact that it's the only film of the bunch to get the Oscar for cinematography makes it an even more laughable oversight.

Yeah, really eh? Barry Lyndon's release pissed me off. It was a shame they did the same with Lolita, too. But I dunno, even if the original ratio was 1.66:1, it should still be presented anamorphically, since technically it still is widescreen. And if you use the zoom function on your TV for a non-anamorphic disc, it zooms it too much, to about 1.85:1 and parts get cut off. Lolita actually looks okay when you do this, but New York, New York looks horrendous.

But even still, some 1.85:1 anamorphic DVDs still have thin lines on the top and bottom, which is kindof weird. (Maybe it's a result of some of the transfers.) But, isn't a widescreen TV designed to perfectly display 1.85:1? (1.78:1 seems to be a bit more "snug".) I thought that 1.85:1 was its native ratio, and it scales anamorphic DVDs according to their relation to the 1.85 ratio. Like, 2.35:1's bars basically get cut in half when compared to a 4:3 TV, where the bars are really thick, etc etc.

But right now I'm at a debate over whether to get the R2 DVD of The Misfits, which is 1.78:1 anamorphic widescreen, or settle with the non-anamorphic R1, which is in its correct ratio of 1.66:1. :rolleyes: I don't know how cropped 1.78:1 will look.

~Matt

Zillamon51
10-10-2008, 04:40 AM
Some titles on the list, like The Abyss, Scream, and FDTD, seem like they should be a "just a matter of time" thing. But with Blu-ray on the scene, the studios probably won't bother re-releasing SD DVDs in favor of concentrating on the growing HD market.

Anyways, I voted "Other" for the kaiju classics Destroy All Monsters and Gamera: Guardian of the Universe. Not that I'm really hopeful; both were recently re-released, in a 2-pack, but still non-anamorphic.

reddye5
10-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Voted for "From Dusk...", but others I'd really like to see:

A Boy and His Dog
Chopping Mall
Miami Blues
and a few more I can't think of right now.

rhett
10-10-2008, 04:19 PM
Yeah, really eh? Barry Lyndon's release pissed me off. It was a shame they did the same with Lolita, too. But I dunno, even if the original ratio was 1.66:1, it should still be presented anamorphically, since technically it still is widescreen. And if you use the zoom function on your TV for a non-anamorphic disc, it zooms it too much, to about 1.85:1 and parts get cut off. Lolita actually looks okay when you do this, but New York, New York looks horrendous.

But even still, some 1.85:1 anamorphic DVDs still have thin lines on the top and bottom, which is kindof weird. (Maybe it's a result of some of the transfers.) But, isn't a widescreen TV designed to perfectly display 1.85:1? (1.78:1 seems to be a bit more "snug".) I thought that 1.85:1 was its native ratio, and it scales anamorphic DVDs according to their relation to the 1.85 ratio. Like, 2.35:1's bars basically get cut in half when compared to a 4:3 TV, where the bars are really thick, etc etc.

But right now I'm at a debate over whether to get the R2 DVD of The Misfits, which is 1.78:1 anamorphic widescreen, or settle with the non-anamorphic R1, which is in its correct ratio of 1.66:1. :rolleyes: I don't know how cropped 1.78:1 will look.

~Matt
If you plug 16/9 into your calculator, a rounded 1.78 is what you get. 1.85:1 is the most common film aspect ratio, which results in small black bars on the top and bottom of the frame. In regards to 1.66 still being widescreen...so is 4x3 :)

maybrick
10-10-2008, 04:43 PM
I find 1.78:1 to be kind of a "happy medium". With the exception of perhaps a few shots here and there my eye doesn't really detect a difference between 1.66 and 1.78. Likewise 1.78 and 1.85. I can't think of a single movie in my collection where the viewing experience has been hampered by being in that ratio.

I'd like all of the early AB Hammer discs re-released in anamorphic. I'd get the R2 Ultimate Hammer Collection but the few reviews I've found insinuate that they're possibly sourced from an NTSC master. If that's true then I'd rather have a straight NTSC DVD than a NTSC to PAL conversion reconverted back into NTSC.

Matt89
10-11-2008, 02:08 AM
If you plug 16/9 into your calculator, a rounded 1.78 is what you get. 1.85:1 is the most common film aspect ratio, which results in small black bars on the top and bottom of the frame. In regards to 1.66 still being widescreen...so is 4x3 :)

Well, isn't 1.66:1 still just "matted" widescreen, just like every 1.78 and 1.85 film? 1.66:1 is commonly called "European widescreen", no? :D

But yeah, 1.78:1 discs fill the TV frame PERFECTLY, which makes a lot more sense now lol.

Oh and another to add to the list...

Rock 'n' Roll High School. Non-Anamorphic 1.85:1 all around the board. Nobody's released it anamorphically yet on DVD.

~Matt

indiephantom
10-11-2008, 04:50 AM
Sleepless. The DVD I have is the pan 'n scam. I really like that film.

fceurich39
10-14-2008, 12:09 AM
where is the halloween 6 special edition damn it

rhett
10-14-2008, 12:11 AM
Go MADMAN! The fact that it is holding its own against titles like FROM DUSK TILL DAWN, THE ABYSS and SCREAM just goes to show how awesome you all are. Now if only Anchor Bay was awesome enough to do something about it.

DeathDealer
10-14-2008, 02:31 AM
There's something epic about the thick black bars. Showing its fantastic scope and 35mm feel. Sometimes anaromphic gives the film a stretched look.

Matt89
10-14-2008, 02:38 AM
LOL really? Cuz in theatres in 35mm there'd be no black bars at all, and the "scope" feeling is still there. Anamorphic enhancement only makes the film fit the TV frame better. It's not stretched. Just enhanced. :)

But yeah seriously, Madman needs a re-release. It's OOP, so maybe AB's planning something.

~Matt

dwatts
10-14-2008, 03:41 AM
Halloween me baby. The Divimax re-issues were terrific, they made poor movies seem so much better. Way to go!

MrTransistor1
10-14-2008, 11:54 PM
The Driller Killer
Junk
Bride of Re-Animator

Spitfire
10-15-2008, 10:09 PM
Sleepless all the way, I've been waiting for a region 1 widescreen edition of this one; long overdue.

Matt89
10-15-2008, 11:39 PM
Shit, I never knew Escape from LA was non-anamorphic. Seriously, that has to be the only non-anamorphic DVD that Paramount has ever issued. Sure they may suck in the features department, but they've always given us great image quality (albeit a few titles) and anamorphic transfers.

~Matt

maybrick
10-15-2008, 11:50 PM
Shit, I never knew Escape from LA was non-anamorphic. Seriously, that has to be the only non-anamorphic DVD that Paramount has ever issued. Sure they may suck in the features department, but they've always given us great image quality (albeit a few titles) and anamorphic transfers.

~Matt

Really? I find that a lot of their transfers for their films from the 60s and 70s (THE CONVERSATION and PARALLAX VIEW to name two) to be pretty grainy. While that may be inherent in the film stock, I find it a bit odd that I notice it almost exclusively on Paramount transfers and seldom ever in other studio's films of similar vintage.

Matt89
10-16-2008, 12:01 AM
Well films from the '60s and '70s don't often look very good, anyway. It was a weird era. Like every movie was shot in soft focus. It's all pretty much inherent in the film stock. Come to think of it, not many studios' films from the '60s and '70s look very good. Taxi Driver, from Columbia...doesn't look too great. (Whereas movies from the '40s such as His Girl Friday and The Big Heat look astounding.) The Fury, from Fox doesn't look too great either. Dog Day Afternoon and Bullitt from Warner don't look very good, either. It's a '60s/'70s thing, really.

~Matt

maybrick
10-16-2008, 12:10 AM
I dunno... I have BULLITT and never noticed anything detrimental regarding to the film quality, but for some reason I do for a lot of Paramount releases. Don't ask me why.

Matt89
10-16-2008, 12:17 AM
I dunno... I have BULLITT and never noticed anything detrimental regarding to the film quality, but for some reason I do for a lot of Paramount releases. Don't ask me why.

Well, if you've ever seen the blu-ray of Bullitt...let's just say...not up to par LOL. It's VERY VERY grainy. The DVD must've been DNR'd because there's a lot more grain in the HD version than in the 2-disc DVD. But with some of the Paramount titles you're referring to...I totally see what you mean. But, I personally find many of Paramount's old releases to still be up to par with many other studios' current releases. (I mean, look at MGM's early releases...YEEECHHHH!!!!)

~Matt

RickMoe
10-16-2008, 12:31 AM
The Boogey Man (1980) would be smashing.

maybrick
10-16-2008, 12:44 AM
Well, if you've ever seen the blu-ray of Bullitt...let's just say...not up to par LOL. It's VERY VERY grainy. The DVD must've been DNR'd because there's a lot more grain in the HD version than in the 2-disc DVD. But with some of the Paramount titles you're referring to...I totally see what you mean. But, I personally find many of Paramount's old releases to still be up to par with many other studios' current releases. (I mean, look at MGM's early releases...YEEECHHHH!!!!)

~Matt

:lol: Yeah, I totally know what mean with MGM. I took out the DVD of BREAKING AWAY recently, and although while it's touted as anamorphic, it's pixellated to point where backgrounds were shifting whenever camera panned. Maybe "shifting" is the wrong word. It was as if they did a photoshop job to the background, duplicating nearby pixels to possibly cover up film print damage (and doing it horrendously). It was very strange.

Back to grain: I don't have a problem with it really, and prefer it very much over over-processing the image quality. Maybe there's no difference to speak of between Paramount and other studios and it's all in my head. That's entirely possible. :lol:

*Nevermind, just realized that BREAKING AWAY was a 20th Century Fox DVD. My bad.

Matt89
10-16-2008, 12:58 AM
:lol: Yeah, I totally know what mean with MGM. I took out the DVD of BREAKING AWAY recently, and although while it's touted as anamorphic, it's pixellated to point where backgrounds were shifting whenever camera panned. Maybe "shifting" is the wrong word. It was as if they did a photoshop job to the background, duplicating nearby pixels to possibly cover up film print damage (and doing it horrendously). It was very strange.

Back to grain: I don't have a problem with it really, and prefer it very much over over-processing the image quality. Maybe there's no difference to speak of between Paramount and other studios and it's all in my head. That's entirely possible. :lol:

*Nevermind, just realized that BREAKING AWAY was a 20th Century Fox DVD. My bad.

Yeah, I'm completely against DNR-ing films. It gives them an odd appearance. Grain doesn't bother me, it's just that it seems to be SO PREVALENT in films of the '60s and '70s and I don't know why.

LOL...Breaking Away. Yeah I know what you're talking about there, the DVD looks like total ass. But, with MGM, it's absolutely ridiculous. About 95%-almost 100% of their early DVD transfers are complete garbage. (non-anamorphic too!!!) And on an HDTV, it looks SO much worse! I'm not gonna even get into what they look like upscaled, but I'll just say this: Enhanced sharpness and clarity to background pixelation makes a movie almost unwatchable in my book. :D

~Matt

maybrick
10-16-2008, 01:53 AM
I don't think I own any of the early, early MGM DVDs. Probably the earliest I own is PHANTASM, but that can't be expected to hold up too much considering it was just a laserdisc port. I remember the first DVD of THE CRYING GAME making me feel as if I were having an acid flashback the shadows danced so much, but if I remember right I think that was a Miramax disc, not MGM.

bigdaddyhorse
10-16-2008, 07:46 PM
Voted for Escape from LA, so underrated and so needing a SE.
From Dusk Till Dawn and Scream are the real headscrathers, both are popular enough and have anamorphic transfers in R2.
I would've sworn my Criterion Armageddon was anamorphic, but looking at dvdprofiler I guess it isn't. WTF? My Scream DC is also confusing me, profiler says it's letterbox as does the boxcover, but the picture on the back of the box showing the screens of 4:3 and 16:9 tv's makes it look like it may be anamorphic. I'm pretty sure it isn't though, I'd test but the tv is in use right now.

Edit: here's what I'm talking about;
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/bigdaddyhorse/screamdcb.jpg

Uncle Jay
10-16-2008, 11:51 PM
I went with The Abyss, love that flick!

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o164/unclejay73/VirgilBrigman.jpg

Gotta love a hero like Virgil 'Bud' Brigman!

-UJ

old-boo-radley
10-17-2008, 12:56 AM
I needed a screencap today from Rabid and I noticed it was non-anamorphic, so that give me all the reason I needed to vote for other.

The Chaostar
10-17-2008, 02:27 AM
(Wearing my best asshole smile) The R2 release ain't!

Matt89
10-17-2008, 03:22 AM
And reading over the R2 DVD review at DVDtimes.co.uk of the new (and first time ever DVD release) of the Paul Newman film Paris Blues, sadly I have to add it to the non-anamorphic list.

But seriously, what fucking studio releases a non-anamorphic DVD in this day and age!? It's infuriating!

~Matt