PDA

View Full Version : The Thing on blu-ray in the UK. (All extras included!)

Matt89
10-13-2008, 08:23 PM
Universal UK has announced the release of The Thing on blu-ray in the UK for the 1st of December, according to DVDtimes.co.uk (http://dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=68986). Good news for those of you wanting all the old special features from the DVD carried over: They're all gonna be there on the UK disc.

The Thing

BD-50 Dual Layer
1080P 2.35:1 Widescreen
English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio
French, Italian and German 5.1 DTS Surround
Spanish 2.0 DTS Mono
English SDH, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Japanese, Korean, Swedish, Danish, Finnish, Dutch, Norwegian, Portuguese and Chinese (Traditional) subtitles
U-Control Picture in Picture track with cast and crew interviews and behind-the-scenes footage
Commentary with director John Carpenter and actor Kurt Russell
John Carpenter’s The Thing: Terror Takes Shape
Production Background Archive
Cast Production Photographs
Production Art and Storyboards
Location Design
Production Archives
The Saucer
The Blairmonster
Outtakes
Post Production
Theatrical Trailer
Here's to hoping it's region-free, which it probably will be. Universal has yet to encode one of their discs here in North America. Not sure about the UK, but I don't see why they'd break the trend. There you go, more bang for your buck. A perfect upgrade. :D

~Matt

KR~!
10-13-2008, 08:27 PM
it even has galleries!!!! :eek: ;)

Darkside
10-13-2008, 08:29 PM
OMFG that rox!!! Will keep an eye peeled for it on the interwebs.

-D

KillerCannabis
10-13-2008, 08:33 PM
If that's the case, and it's region-free, I'll wait for this one.

Stige
10-13-2008, 08:56 PM
good to be region 2 / region B sometimes at least

X-human
10-13-2008, 08:58 PM
Still no Isolated Score, looks like I'd have to hang on to the original DVD anyways.

Matt89
10-14-2008, 01:31 AM
Still no Isolated Score, looks like I'd have to hang on to the original DVD anyways.

Well then...I guess so. :D

~Matt

spawningblue
10-14-2008, 07:17 PM
1. Why would they leave off the Isolated Score? Blu Ray sucks. Instead of being the next best thing they should rename themselves the so-so thing, with great picture!
2. Why wasn't this released in North America!?

Matt89
10-15-2008, 03:40 PM
1. Why would they leave off the Isolated Score? Blu Ray sucks.

....Buy the soundtrack? I mean are you honestly gonna sit through the ENTIRE film with just the music playing and no dialogue? This isn't a silent film lol. :) You might as well just go out and purchase the soundtrack. (I have them ripped to my computer if you want them.)

~Matt

KR~!
10-15-2008, 05:21 PM
....Buy the soundtrack? I mean are you honestly gonna sit through the ENTIRE film with just the music playing and no dialogue? This isn't a silent film lol. :) You might as well just go out and purchase the soundtrack. (I have them ripped to my computer if you want them.)

~Matt

yeah, but then he has to download the file from you then turn on his speakers and play the files and then listen, it is just too much work, so as you can see Blu-Ray does suck.

X-human
10-15-2008, 06:20 PM
1. Why would they leave off the Isolated Score?

Probably because the score's composer asked for money. That's why many other isolate score have been dropped with reissues.

The isolated score was dropped from the latest SD-DVD release and wasn't on the HD-DVD release either. So this isn't Blu-ray's fault, it's purely Universal's decision.

spawningblue
10-16-2008, 06:23 PM

~Matt

So after spending $30 on the Blu Ray, I should spend another $15. Yes, there are obviously other means to getting all the stuff. Books, CDs, Internet, ect., but if they can and if it was done on the inferior DVD, then it should be included on the Blu Ray, end of story, and no excuses. I personally like having everything in one neat small package. Blu Ray fans are morons sometimes with way too much money on their hands if you ask me.

Probably because the score's composer asked for money. That's why many other isolate score have been dropped with reissues.

The isolated score was dropped from the latest SD-DVD release and wasn't on the HD-DVD release either. So this isn't Blu-ray's fault, it's purely Universal's decision.

And my bad, I thought it was on the special edition DVD. If that's the case then it's not a big deal. Just sick of lazy Blu Ray releases not including stuff that was on the recent inferior DVD.

Matt89
10-17-2008, 04:54 AM
Yup, so if you want the isolated score, you have to own the original DVD release, in all its non-anamorphic glory. Yay! :)

But sometimes the reason special features are not carried over are because of rights issues. Not all documentaries on DVDs are made by the studios themselves, so there could be rights issues right there. More money for the studio to dish out, considering they already paid quite a bit to master the film for high definition. (Telecine work is quite expensive.)

But I look at it this way, sure some features may get dropped, but it's not like these films are being re-issued without special features in yet another SD-DVD release. The upgrade is image quality. The value you're getting out of blu-ray is the film itself in high definition. But meh, to each his own I guess...

~Matt

rxfiend
10-21-2008, 04:26 AM
Slightly off topic, but I watched THE THING on HD-DVD the other day and was amazed at it. I only had the non-anamorphic DVD and the V/A quality on the HD disc was excellent.

Matt89
10-21-2008, 04:47 AM
Yeah, high definition can be quite amazing. Totally worth an upgrade. Glad to see you were pleased. :D

~Matt

KillerCannabis
12-27-2008, 08:03 AM
So can anyone confirm if this is indeed a region-free disc?

Matt89
12-27-2008, 02:01 PM
Yeah it's region-free. Plays in my PS3. (Universal doesn't region-code their blu-rays.)

~Matt