PDA

View Full Version : A Book on Televisions...VIDEODROME Contest

rhett
10-19-2008, 06:01 PM
We watch too many movies. Sometimes it's nice to just sit back and read. Sometimes it's even better, though, to sit back and read about movies about television. The Video Watchdog himself, Tim Lucas, has just released a new chronicle on the making of David Cronenberg's seminal VIDEODROME, and we want to give you some copies.

Thanks to common backyard structure and long time forum member, Workshed, we've got two copies of VIDEODROME: STUDIES IN THE HORROR FILM to give to you. It's printed on heavy stock, filled with color behind-the-scenes stills and more importantly rife with information both critical and anecdotal, since Lucas was on set during much of the filming. Plus, the cover will give your bookshelf some class:

http://horrordigital.com/vb3forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4990&stc=1&d=1224435492

What do you have to do to win it? Simply tell us your favorite Cronenberg moment.

Is it the fetus eating in THE BROOD? The oil slick sex in FAST COMPANY? The ode to Viggo Mortensen's penis in EASTERN PROMISES? You decide, and let us know the film and the moment that sticks out with you most.

The contest closes a week from now on Sunday, October 26th when two winners will be randomly drawn. If you're not a winner, buy the book here (http://www.amazon.com/Videodrome-Studies-Horror-Tim-Lucas/dp/1933618280), or read more on it through the Centipede Press website (http://www.centipedepress.com/videodrome.html).

So let's get on to the contest: What's your favorite Cronenberg moment?

Novosibirsk
10-19-2008, 06:09 PM
This is a great question!

My favourite Cronenberg moment(s) is the slow transformation of Seth Brundle in the Fly. The moment in the bathroom in particular, where Seth starts peeling off his nails, with the slow realization that his isn't human anymore. Ace.

Angelman
10-19-2008, 06:13 PM
My fav: "I'm an insect who dreamt he was a man and loved it, but now that dream is over and the insect is awake."

BroodingHope
10-19-2008, 07:13 PM
Mine would have to be the entire diner sequence in A History of Violence. I know it's going away from Cronenberg's usual 'body horror' motif, but it's just so visceral.

pdw
10-19-2008, 07:15 PM
I've always loved the exploding head in SCANNERS.
Classic moment.

indiephantom
10-19-2008, 07:35 PM
Wow, surprisingly tough to single out one particular moment. I really dig the pool scene climax in SHIVERS or any scenes that feature Playboy model Lynn Lowry. She was perfect in that role.

I enjoy the more perverse moments from Cronenberg. Debbie Harry's enormous lips on the TV in VIDEODROME is also most memorable.

onebyone
10-19-2008, 07:47 PM
Crash, the slow beautiful yet stark filming of the aftermath of a car crash about midway through that comes dangerously close to making you see the beauty in it all. One of my favorite scenes ever.

Workshed
10-19-2008, 07:56 PM
Awesome, thanks, rhett! And many thanks to the good folks at Centipede and Millipede Press. Good luck to all the contestants!

MorallySound
10-19-2008, 08:04 PM
In Videodrome, where the gun becomes the flesh. Showing we are our own destructors. If destructors is even a word ahaha.

Runner-up would easily be the bath house fight scene in Eastern Promises.

eric_angelus
10-19-2008, 08:10 PM
Barbara Steele's bathtub encounter in Shivers.

fattyjoe37
10-19-2008, 08:44 PM
Even though it's not particularly Cronenbergian, whenever I think of him my mind goes to the final scene of A History of Violence. Nothing much happens, but everything happens.

Misanthrope666
10-19-2008, 08:47 PM
My favorite moment would actually be the fetus eating from The Brood. It was just so unexpected and disgusting.

Cujo108
10-19-2008, 09:13 PM
I could name several, but I'll go with a more low key example of Cronenberg's genius, Lynn Lowry's description of her dream in Shivers. The dialogue coupled with her delivery... just beautiful. Pure intimacy through words. "Everything is erotic."

Mattapooh
10-19-2008, 09:16 PM
The speech given by the wife in The Brood, but only when I found out that this speech was one Cronenberg's ex-wife gave to him during their divorce and he wrote the movie as a "fuck you!" to her. A disgusting, disturbing horror flick used as an exorcism of his own emotion, it's just pure art.

Ash J. Williams
10-19-2008, 09:46 PM
fattyjoe hit the nail on the head. The finale of A History of Violence is pure, wonderful artistry.

hojimoji
10-19-2008, 10:23 PM
I've got to go with Peter Weller reciting the "Man Who Taught his Asshole How to Talk" routine in Naked Lunch. Considering Cronenberg's penchant for body horror, he could have made that such a disgusting scene. Instead, he plays it totally straight, just Weller driving. Brilliant.

KamuiX
10-19-2008, 10:40 PM
The ending of Dead Ringers is true brilliance, one of the most chilling and cold moments I've ever experienced in film. One of the greatest films of all time.

Katatonia
10-19-2008, 10:51 PM
Favorite Cronenberg moment? I'll post this one as a spoiler, since it really would ruin the film for anyone who hasn't seen it:

The scene in Spider when we find out that Miranda Richardson played two seperate and distinct characters integral to the plot. One of the few times I've been literally shocked...by not even realizing it before that! Excellent acting and disguise.

Harry Warden
10-19-2008, 11:40 PM
I always liked the scene at the beginning of Scanners, when one of two women start making loud comments about the man's appearance. Since he is a scanner, he exacts revenge by increasing her heartrate and gives her a heart attack.

Darkside
10-20-2008, 12:50 AM
In Rabid when at the clinic, Dr. Keolid, when examining the unconscious Rose, notices a strange vaginal/sphincter orifice in Rose's right armpit, when she suddenly wakes up and a phallic red spike emerges from the orifice and pierces Dr. Keolid in the hand, which the phallic thing feeds on his blood, before withdrawing back into Rose. True Cronenberg genius!!!

Ptflea2
10-20-2008, 01:08 AM
The exploding head in Scanners. Classic.

delirium
10-20-2008, 01:38 AM
My favorite scene would have to be the ending fight scene because the whole scene was just to neat to describe with viggo getting attacked and showing off some more skills. But the "stomp" (trying not to spoil) was just too great.

old-boo-radley
10-20-2008, 01:52 AM
My favorite moment is in Rabid where Rose makes her first kill in the hospital. That scene says so much.

Jaffe
10-20-2008, 01:53 AM
I agree with Fattyjoe and Ash J. Williams. I really enjoyed the final scene in A History of Violence.

Jaffe

DeathDealer
10-20-2008, 02:26 AM
The final sequence in Videodrome was excellent. Brutal, disturbing, intriguing, and very well excecuted.

SaviniFan
10-20-2008, 03:20 AM
Seeing as how Scanners was the first "R" rated film I saw in theaters as a young one, my fondest Cronenberg film memory was the final showdown between Cameron Vale and Daryl Revok. That was some of my first exposure to the wonders of bladder effects, something that Philippe Mora took to hilarious extremes in The Beast Within.

zombiecraig
10-20-2008, 04:32 AM
So many great scenes...

Mine favorite is from Videodrome. James Woods sitting on the couch discovers a large vagina has appeared in his upper abdominal region. What does he do? Plays with it, of course! He sticks his gun in it...his actual handgun...not his penis. The kicker is, he loses the gun in the vagina. The actual handgun is now lodged in his body...somewhere. Is it live...or is it Videodrome? Of course, he then begins to panic.

I can totally see this happening to me when I get my upper abdominal vagina. The vagina can be oh so dangerous.

dave13
10-20-2008, 04:51 AM
favorite cronenberg moment? man, so hard to choose, and so many good ones have already been mentioned. Some runners up would be Santa getting machine-gunned in rabid....or james woods shouting "long live the new flesh!" after assassinating barry convex onstage. But my favorite moment from Naked Lunch, my favorite cronenfilm, is roy schieder declaring himself after peeling off his latex dominatrix mask: "Benway!" with a cigar in his mouth...its hilarious every time

Erick H.
10-20-2008, 06:01 AM
There is a quiet fadeout in THE BROOD,a film about bringing internal pain and rage to the surface.At the close little Candy,who has lived not only through the hell of a divorce and the pain of abuse,but also a bloody nightmare reveals small blister like growths as she and her father drive off into the night,proving that her Mother wasn't the only one who could make her torment manifest physically.The pain we put children through can really make you shudder.

bwana the clown
10-20-2008, 07:14 AM
Soooo many great scenes in soooo many great films, but I think I'm gonna go for the scene in The Brood when the school teacher has a run-in with a couple of Samantha Eggar's rage children, in the classroom, in front of her horrified class! I still find that totally shocking!

Special mention to the chinese restaurant scene in eXistenZ.

LJMurder
10-20-2008, 09:21 AM
My favorite Cronenberg moment would have to be his portrayal of Doctor Decker in Nightbreed.

evildeadfan123
10-20-2008, 03:42 PM
Have to go with the Exploding head from Scanners. I remember seeing it in the Theaters in 1981, and that just was the icing on the cake.

Vincent Pina
10-20-2008, 04:32 PM
Most have already been mentioned, but I loved Lynn Lowry's description of eroticism in Shivers. Also, Cronenberg's cameo in that movie where he busts shirtless out of the wall sticking out his tongue. And this one doesn't really count, but I also loved his performance in Nightbreed (and cameo in Jason X, for that matter).

uradouche
10-20-2008, 05:47 PM
I am a Cronenberg FREAK!!!!! I so hope I win.

This is a tough question, but I love the moment in Existenz when they are all eating at that freaky chinese restuarant at the factory and they are compelled and disgusted by eating and can't stop. The bones that are left from their consumption are formed into a gun that shoot teeth. Priceless and memorable.

By the way, if you haven't seen this, I think it's way under-appreciated.

allmessedup
10-20-2008, 05:56 PM
Another vote for the nursery school beating in THE BROOD.

hellraiser40
10-20-2008, 05:58 PM
too many great moments to choose from.

my first choice would be the moment James Woods sees his TV pulsating, full of life in Videodrome (just seen it again a couple of days ago)...

but I go for... the final scene of The Fly. The sadness, the way it ends just after the monster is finished (and without further exposition or explanation), the music, one of the most dramatic moments I have encountered in film!

Agentsusp
10-20-2008, 06:27 PM
It has to be in the Brood when Samantha Eggar reveals that weird little foetus and stars licking it.

spawningblue
10-20-2008, 07:05 PM
I have to go with Novosibirsk on this one. The whole transformation in The Fly is brilliant. You feel so much pity for the monster, even though you know that he has to die.

Mutilated Prey
10-20-2008, 08:05 PM
I'm with ZombieCraig. Videodrome with the itching of the belly gash with his gun and then it disappears. Very irking scene.

The Chaostar
10-21-2008, 12:44 AM
First practical use of Jeremy Irons' "special equipment" in Dead Ringers.

Mortis
10-21-2008, 07:57 AM
I've never gotten over the exploding head.

ekent
10-21-2008, 01:37 PM
Probably when Goldbloom breaks the guys arm while armwrestling in The Fly. Freaked my young mind out.

Darga
10-21-2008, 09:11 PM
For sentimental reasons I have to go with the exploding head from Scanners. It was my first Cronenberg film- I watched it as a teenager and that image always stuck with me.

boycrieswolf
10-21-2008, 11:52 PM
I have to say...Cronenberg being one of my absolute favorite genre directors makes this question almost impossible to answer as I truly love the man's style old and new, but if I had to narrow it down to just one that really fucked with my head for many years after witnessing it I'd have to say the fetus licking action in The Brood just narrowly takes the cake...when i first saw that film that scene caught me waaay off guard.

delicreep
10-21-2008, 11:56 PM
The "Cronenberg Moment" that still sticks with me is from eXistenZ. Jennifer and Jude's characters have their moment of passion; it's a well-shot and edited sequence that expertly builds in erotic intensity as their kissing and caressing becomes more and more passionate. Right when the expected shot of the two either hotly fucking or lounging post-coitus is supposed to occur, Cronenberg cuts to one of those goddamn fish-frogs being hacked up.

It's a totally disorienting, queasy moment, and I know that's EXACTLY what Cronenberg was aiming for.

So, he's a total bastard for that. ;)

soxfan666
10-22-2008, 01:10 AM
Shivers, when the guy is rubbing his belly and talking to the thing poking out. Always, makes me laugh. Although, I think the movie kinda sucks.

Bristlebane
10-22-2008, 05:18 PM
The head explosion in scanners.

addicted2dvd
10-22-2008, 07:58 PM
For me it has to be the exploding head in Scanners as well

WhatTHEhell19
10-22-2008, 09:22 PM
This is a very hard question for me since Cronenberg happens to be my favorite director, so I have a lot of favorite scenes.

If I have to choose though I guess I'll have to go with the end of Videodrome, where James Woods is sitting in that old boat and suddenly sees himself on the tv. The tv version of him says "long live the new flesh..." and then shoots himself in the head with his cancer gun, which causes bloody entrails to explode out of the tv. Then he proceeds to do it for real, or so we think.

rxfiend
10-23-2008, 09:20 AM
exploding head in Scanners. Several different scenes of the Fly as well. I used to watch that movie a lot when I was a kid.

It was also cool seeing Cronenberg getting killed by Jason in JX!

Shannafey
10-23-2008, 01:53 PM
This is a tough one. There are so many good Cronenberg films and so many great moments. I just watched Eastern Promises last week and the man still has what it takes! He did so many great horror films and now his dramas are equally as good. I guess that Videodrome is the first film by him I ever saw and I was young and it had me mesmorized! So many great moments in that film, but the scene where James Woods loses his gun in his stomach stays with me!! I just got the Criterion edition last year and still love this film!

marcx
10-23-2008, 02:53 PM
gotta go with the end of dead ringers as well....

vampyr789
10-24-2008, 04:30 AM
easy, my favorite Cronenberg moment is....

From The Fly, when Goldbulm does the armwrestling part at that bar, and breaks that guys hand off, GOD I LOVE IT!!! :rolleyes:

Nightbreed
10-24-2008, 04:37 PM
for me would be "The Fly" when Goldblum, pulls his fingernails off in the bathroom, I will never forget that.

CrazyFatEthel
10-25-2008, 02:36 PM
My favorite David Cronenberg moment is probably in A History of Violence, the whole Diner Shoot out scene is awsome!!!:banana:

rhett
10-26-2008, 06:07 PM
The winners are...

Ptflea2
hellraiser40

Congratulations! Each will receive a copy of the VIDEODROME book mentioned above. Please contact my main man, Workshed, with your name and address and he'll ship it out to you when he gets time. Thanks for participating, everyone...on to the next contest!

Workshed
10-26-2008, 08:24 PM
The winners are...

Ptflea2
hellraiser40

Congratulations! Each will receive a copy of the VIDEODROME book mentioned above. Please contact my main man, Workshed, with your name and address and he'll ship it out to you when he gets time. Thanks for participating, everyone...on to the next contest!

Like the man said, drop me a PM with your address, and I'll get these out ASAP.

Great discussions. Thanks again to Centipede Press, and for those who did not win, be sure to support indie Horror publishers if you are interested!

onebyone
10-26-2008, 08:26 PM
Congrats to the winners.

addicted2dvd
10-26-2008, 08:38 PM
Crongrats! :)

Katatonia
10-26-2008, 10:24 PM
congrats!

Harry Warden
10-26-2008, 10:55 PM
Congrats to the winners!!

Hellbilly
10-26-2008, 10:58 PM
Congrats!

MorallySound
10-27-2008, 01:18 AM
Congrats!

spawningblue
10-27-2008, 05:04 PM
Congrats!!

hellraiser40
10-27-2008, 05:42 PM
thx all, am surprised i've won, but all the more grateful!

thrashard76
10-31-2008, 01:53 AM
Congrats.

hellraiser40
11-05-2008, 11:03 AM
have received my book today

this looks really nice, thx again for this great price!

Workshed
11-05-2008, 05:14 PM
have received my book today

this looks really nice, thx again for this great price!

Glad it got there and you are welcome. Ptflea, yours goes out this week.