PDA

View Full Version : Friday Blu-rays

rhett
11-08-2008, 06:36 PM
Well, it's already become evident that this coming February is going to be packed with FRIDAY THE 13TH related content, what's not too sure yet is the future of the series in HD. The first film has been announced for Blu-ray treatment, but even though the second and third are coming to new special edition DVDs, the respective Blu-rays have not yet been announced. With that in mind, which Blu-rays would you buy should the series be all upgraded to HD?

Multiple answers are accepted for this poll, so choose wisely! If you select either of the "All of them" answers, be sure to select each individual film as well just to make it representative.

Angelman
11-08-2008, 06:43 PM
All the Paramount ones, except 8, but if they were packaged together I would buy all the Paramount F13s no problem.

Grim
11-08-2008, 06:57 PM
All of them. I love every single one of them. Even Part 8 and the New Line films. Jason is just so engraved in my childhood that I can forgive the many shortcomings of Jason Takes Manhattan (Vancouver for the last 20 minutes of the runtime).

TheShape
11-08-2008, 07:10 PM
I think the release of the first one on BD will please lots of fans. And I think it'll have more to do with the fact that this will be the uncut version than it being in HD.

indiephantom
11-08-2008, 08:14 PM
If there's a Paramount box set, that'd be cool...but I'm not sure I'll be able to wait. I'm planning on 1-6, most likely.

Stige
11-08-2008, 08:21 PM
I said I would wait for reviews , but knowing myself I will probably buy them all if available

The Chaostar
11-08-2008, 08:26 PM
Parts I & IV. And, in another life, the uncut version of part VII.

Copyboy
11-08-2008, 08:28 PM
1, 2 and 3 are the only Fridays for me.

WrongTurnLover
11-08-2008, 10:28 PM
I'd get all of them, i am a avid collector.

ekent
11-09-2008, 12:59 AM
I'd get them all, but over a long course of time, during sales and such. Parts 1, 4 and 6 would be immediate buys.

maskull
11-09-2008, 01:10 AM
When I get into Blu Ray I'll buy them all. Of course by the time I can afford to go Blu, there will be another release of these movies.

KamuiX
11-09-2008, 03:20 AM
In a boxset, I'd probably buy them all. Forced to buy them seperately, 2, 4, 6, and X.

zompirejoe
11-09-2008, 03:53 AM
For sure I would buy 1,4,and 6. If 2,and 7 are uncut I'd buy them as well. I'd probably buy them all if the price was right.

Matt89
11-09-2008, 04:12 PM
I'd only get the Paramount films. I only really like parts 1, 2, 4, 5 and 6 but I'd still get part 3 (3 in 3-D, it's a nice novelty) and 7 and 8 (they're of SOME value, how minimal it may be.) And, considering how good 7 and 8 look on DVD, I can only imagine how amazing they'll look on blu-ray.

However, I can't even sit through anything past part 8. (Part 8 was bad enough.) So, no for me on the New Line films.

~Matt

Mutilated Prey
11-09-2008, 05:22 PM
Just Jason X - j/k. ;)

ALL OF THEM!

WesReviews
11-09-2008, 10:38 PM
Blu-Ray, IMO will become the next Laserdisc. So, I'm perfectly happy with SD until the next advancement in format technology comes around.

Uncle Jay
11-10-2008, 01:37 PM
oops!

Uncle Jay
11-10-2008, 01:39 PM
I'm happy with the standard def releases...although, I wouldn't mind having the first six on Blu. I also, wouldn't mind having Jason X, I like the look of that film. Yes, really! Haha!

-UJ

DVD-fanatic-9
11-10-2008, 02:19 PM
Jason Takes Manhattan, Part III, and The New Blood would be my highest priority of these. If Paramount were to release an 8-disc Blu Ray set and it actually turned out the films finally looked really good (and sounded better too, I can't stress how important stereo or 5.1 are/would be on the first 5 'mono' films!) - I'd actually buy a better TV and a blu-ray player. That and Argento's Opera, Phenomena, and Tenebre on Blu-Ray (all with really superior video quality and audio if possible) would get me to buy into the BR phenomenon. Just Friday parts 1 & 2 would be a no-dice deal.

Korngold
11-10-2008, 05:17 PM
Blu-Ray, IMO will become the next Laserdisc. So, I'm perfectly happy with SD until the next advancement in format technology comes around.

I have a feeling Wes may be right, but my plan with blu-ray is to upgrade certain films I feel are classics worth upgrading: Romero's dead films, The Beyond, Maniac, The Nightmare on Elm Street Series, Halloween I, II, and maybe IV, and yes the Friday the 13th films. I'm sure I have others on that list but I can't think of them now.

AndresG
11-10-2008, 05:47 PM
parts 4, 5 & 6 for me!

Uncle Jay
11-10-2008, 05:52 PM

Totally disagree. Uncompressed, hi-def video and audio is indeed superior in movie viewing.

Laserdisc had everything wrong with it. Compressed, non-anamorphic video (which caused a lot of video noise); uncompressed analog stereo audio; movies being split (30-60 minutes max per side); freeze-frame only for CAV format LDs...I mean, come on, it was only a matter of time before another format perfected what was always a faulty format.

I enjoy(ed) laserdiscs because simply, they were cool and the only source (at that time) of watching movies in their proper aspect ratio. I like the look of them, the 12" sleeve art. Cool, in my opinion. And there is a significant number of movies that still haven't reached DVD yet, as well as exclusive extras that did not crossover to the DVD release of a particular title (ex: Jack Lemmon's audio commentary on Glengarry Glen Ross, not on the DVD).

Blu-ray does not have a number of blatant, significant faults like the laserdisc did.

Blu-ray ain't going nowhere but to the top!

-UJ

Darga
11-10-2008, 06:45 PM
A more accurate answer for me would be "None (I don't like the series enough to want to own it)".

Now that I think about it though, I did like "Part 2" a lot so maybe I would pick that one up. Not until it's down to around $10 though. Although I have a blu ray player in my PS3 I'm not going crazy buying discs until the prices come down. I only remember too well spending $25-$30 for DVDs back in the late 90's that you can get for under 10 bucks now.

Camp Blood
11-10-2008, 06:50 PM
I would vote for all of them, but they would have to all be uncut. That will probably never happen.

Matt89
11-10-2008, 09:41 PM
Totally disagree. Uncompressed, hi-def video and audio is indeed superior in movie viewing.

Laserdisc had everything wrong with it. Compressed, non-anamorphic video (which caused a lot of video noise); uncompressed analog stereo audio; movies being split (30-60 minutes max per side); freeze-frame only for CAV format LDs...I mean, come on, it was only a matter of time before another format perfected what was always a faulty format.

I enjoy(ed) laserdiscs because simply, they were cool and the only source (at that time) of watching movies in their proper aspect ratio. I like the look of them, the 12" sleeve art. Cool, in my opinion. And there is a significant number of movies that still haven't reached DVD yet, as well as exclusive extras that did not crossover to the DVD release of a particular title (ex: Jack Lemmon's audio commentary on Glengarry Glen Ross, not on the DVD).

Blu-ray does not have a number of blatant, significant faults like the laserdisc did.

Blu-ray ain't going nowhere but to the top!

-UJ

I couldn't agree more. Blu-ray's not going anywhere. I mean, the future is high definition. People are replacing their old tube TVs for HDTVs, there's HD sports channels, HD movie channels, videogame consoles that support HD...I mean, there's something in HD for everyone. Movies are coming out left right and centre on blu-ray. It's certainly kicking off faster than DVD did, that's for sure. Look at what's been slated for 2009:

- Amadeus
- Taxi Driver
- Friday the 13th (uncut and with HD special features. Damn sounds like Paramount's gonna be good to us with this release!)
- Gone With the Wind
- The Wizard of Oz
- An American in Paris
- A Star is Born
- Ghostbusters I and II
- The Bird With the Crystal Plumage
- Dead & Buried
- Spinal Tap

Fox announced (these titles are all set for release in 2009):

- The French Connection I and II
- Passion of the Christ
- The Seven-Year Itch
- Donnie Darko
- Raging Bull

Paramount has also hinted at:

- Star Trek feature films
- Chinatown
- Deep Impact
- The Ten Commandments
- Sunset Boulevard
- Apocalypse Now
- Breakfast at Tiffany's
- Saturday Night Fever
- Flashdance
- The Elephant Man

I know Paramount recently remastered Chinatown and Flashdance as special editions c ouple years ago. They look bloody fantastic. And Breakfast at Tiffany's and Sunsent Boulevard were just recently remastered this year (and look amazing in standard def), so a blu-ray release of these films doesn't seem too far off.

Yeah, blu-ray's not gonna go anywhere but up. I can't think of a single flaw this format has. I mean, uncompressed audio, uncompressed video...longer movies can be put on ONE disc (even DVD had flippers or double-discs for overly-long films).

~Matt

Matt89
11-10-2008, 09:49 PM
And wow, hurry up and pre-order the Friday the 13th blu-ray on amazon. $21.95!

~Matt

Fistfuck
11-11-2008, 12:58 AM

Hate to break it to you, man, but Blu-Ray is compressed. It's just a better codec on a bigger disc.

Matt89
11-11-2008, 01:38 AM
Hate to break it to you, man, but Blu-Ray is compressed. It's just a better codec on a bigger disc.

Okay, sure it's somewhat compressed. However, the image is smooth, it has the flowing characteristics that film has, it has a resolution MUCH MUCH closer to film stock (probably has about the same resolution as 16mm film, anyway). But that better codec on a bigger disc allows for MUCH MUCH less compression than DVD. (Hence, on a good proper blu-ray transfer, you do not get digital artifacts, an aspect of compression.) Sure, they're compressed but seriously not by much.

(And this isn't directed at you personally, this is more of an observation):

I just don't get why people seem to knock blu-ray so much. Jesus Christ, do people not like quality? They'll bitch and moan about the lack of special features that they've already seen for movies they already know everything about. I mean, if your memory is THAT bad, okay I guess you'll need a documentary to refresh your memory. But it's the pointless shit like photo galleries, talent bios and dumb shit like that, that get dropped from blu-ray releases because people generally don't give a shit about stuff like that. I mean, what would be your main reason to upgrade a film on blu-ray? It'd be a sad fact that the only reason a person would upgrade to high definition would be only for the special features. I mean, would someone take a feature-laden DVD with shoddy image quality over an edition with few special features but outstanding image quality? The whole concept makes absolutely no sense to me. People seem to rank special features over the film itself.

Someone on another forum (when they heard that Friday part 1 was coming out on blu-ray) said that blu ray sucks and fuck Paramount for putting it out on blu-ray, that they should only put it out on DVD etc etc..I seriously couldn't wrap my head around this guy's logic. It boggles the fucking mind.

Then people will have the nerve to bitch about Paramount not releasing all the Friday films at once. I mean, shit would you rather them push all the releases out and not take the time to give us 5.1 tracks, newly remastered transfers, better docs? Let them take their course. Be happy we're at least getting PART 1 on blu-ray for Christ's sake. And uncut! Part 2 and 3 (and the others) will most likely eventually follow. Blu-ray's really starting to catch on, maybe Paramount will release the other titles later next year, closer to Halloween. Sure we'll have to wait, but the wait will be worth it if Paramount's remastering the films. (And if they're coming out on blu-ray, they'll most certainly be new transfers.) Because seriously, what horror franchise does Paramount own that's more popular than Friday the 13th? Nothing. In terms of horror sales, Friday the 13th is quite profitable for Paramount and if they're gonna release any horror series on blu-ray it'll be Friday the 13th. Just be patient. People are so quick to criticize.

~Matt

rhett
11-11-2008, 02:58 AM
Paramount's Friday series took four years to fully make it onto DVD, so I'm at least used to the wait. Matt was right on with his observation that virtually all home formats (television, video games, etc.) have converted to HD, and just the term itself is a catch phrase that is really pushing television sales and media sales in general. Even if most people don't really care about that extra bit of quality, it's basically being force fed to everyone, so it's only a matter of time. You can't resist the current forever. At my Best Buy, front and center when you walk through the door is the Blu-ray rack, and it's already about a quarter of the size of the DVD rack. By comparison, I'd never even seen a LaserDisc in store growing up. The fact that Blu-ray is backwards compatible with DVD ensures it won't be like LaserDisc either, since it'll just be a companion format that won't demand you upgrade everything if you want to stick to one player.

Longevity will be insured by the fact that the discs themselves are beneficial upgrades to those not in the movie business. The discs hold five times more than DVDs. Burners are already sub-$200. It's a no brainer that the format will be embraced for archival purposes. The prices of discs are dropping all the time, and really, it's going to take a large chunk out of the portable hard drive market. For LaserDisc, there was no pracitcal way to make the format of use as anything other than a video disc. Imagine having an LD burner in your computer tower. Blu-rays will be very important for the computer market as well, so the pressure isn't 100% on the film industry to make the format succeed. In many eyes it already has.

Sony's putting millions of dollars into pumping these things as the big Christmas toy this year, and coupled with all the hype behind the biggest film since Titanic, The Dark Knight, flaunting the format, I'd say Blu-ray's future is looking pretty rosy. Me? I'm fine to keep most of my collection on DVD, but it's nice knowing that Blu-ray will be around to upgrade all my favorites like Halloween, Friday the 13th, Red Desert, etc. for a long time to come.

Disc media will probably be dead the next time a new format rolls around, so if you're waiting for that you might never see it. Looking at the way solid state technology is always growing in size and dropping in price, surely that has to be the future.

Matt89
11-11-2008, 03:02 AM
Hehe, Red Desert. ;)

Sadly I'm region-crippled when it comes to blu-ray...

~Matt

Kim Bruun
11-11-2008, 08:52 AM
I probably wouldn't spring for a Blu-ray box set. If released separately though, I'd buy the first four without hesitation! :)

Fistfuck
11-11-2008, 02:44 PM
Okay, sure it's somewhat compressed. However, the image is smooth, it has the flowing characteristics that film has, it has a resolution MUCH MUCH closer to film stock (probably has about the same resolution as 16mm film, anyway). But that better codec on a bigger disc allows for MUCH MUCH less compression than DVD. (Hence, on a good proper blu-ray transfer, you do not get digital artifacts, an aspect of compression.) Sure, they're compressed but seriously not by much.

Compression is compression, man. Film has a resolution of about 6000 to 8000 lines of resolution, Blu-Ray has a little over 1000. You would need a few TB HDD arrays to watch a fully uncompressed film.

I'm not arguing with Blu-Ray at all. I'm just trying to make sure everyone is on the same page with their terminology.

Fumi
11-11-2008, 07:34 PM
Parts 2, 3, and Jason X have always been my favorites.

Burn
11-12-2008, 08:45 PM
I would be happy to have them released in Superbit (that goes for all dvds). That will improve the quality for all dvds. Without having the expense of replacing everything!

Burn
11-12-2008, 08:46 PM
Ditto!

Grim
11-12-2008, 08:55 PM
Meh, Superbit is in the past. Bring on the blu-rays!

Angelman
11-12-2008, 10:52 PM
Compression is compression, man. Film has a resolution of about 6000 to 8000 lines of resolution, Blu-Ray has a little over 1000. You would need a few TB HDD arrays to watch a fully uncompressed film.

I'm not arguing with Blu-Ray at all. I'm just trying to make sure everyone is on the same page with their terminology.

Exactly, Blu-ray is great but I've been to digital intermediate sessions and it's then that you realize that there is a difference when something gets compressed, Blu-ray is still awesome, but it is still very compressed.

Fistfuck
11-13-2008, 12:14 AM
Exactly, Blu-ray is great but I've been to digital intermediate sessions and it's then that you realize that there is a difference when something gets compressed, Blu-ray is still awesome, but it is still very compressed.

Right, and in reality, even if there were an uncompressed way to view films, you're still taking something on one medium and transferring it to another. The highest commercial (that I know of) way to transfer film to digital only scans in a 4k resolution, costs a lot of money, and takes up a shitload of space. So going by my earlier numbers, you're losing 2-4k lines of resolution going from film to tape. At some point in the near future, we will be looking at uncompressed movies, most likely shot digitally on direct-to-drive solid-state technology and resolutions that far exceed that of film.

Matt89
11-13-2008, 12:31 AM
The only way you really notice the difference between HD and a reel of 35mm film is when it's projected on larger screens, like a theatre. For the size of a television in a person's home, the difference is minimal to non-existent.

I will agree though that when projecting a film in say, a theatre, there's no comparison between HD and 35mm film. 35mm wins hands down. But on a small screen, you're not going to notice a difference because the lines are so close together anyways that you really don't lose out on resolution. (Like when you transfer a DVD to your iPod. The screen is so small anyways, the films look razor sharp.)

What I meant was that by going from something like 480p to 1080p, we've jumped much closer to the resolution of film. Sure we're still far off, but it was a huge jump.

"One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind." ;)

~Matt

Fistfuck
11-13-2008, 03:14 AM
The only way you really notice the difference between HD and a reel of 35mm film is when it's projected on larger screens, like a theatre. For the size of a television in a person's home, the difference is minimal to non-existent.

I'm going to disagree with you and say that yes, you won't notice the difference unless you know what you're missing. I'm forgetting my numbers now, but the contrast ratio of DVD and Blu-ray is a fraction that of film.

Matt89
11-13-2008, 05:01 AM
Yes, but ON A SMALLER SCREEN there is little to no difference. DVDs look bad on a large-screen HDTV, however blu-ray looks outstanding. If you were to project a blu-ray movie on a large theatre screen yes it would look like garbage. That is one of the big appeals of blu-ray, that you get razor sharp resolution on a large screen TV. We're never going to have theatre-sized screens in our home, so blu-ray brings the theatrical experience, now with the quality of film into the average person's home.

Trust me, I know the difference. I'm a cinema studies major, we screen movies every week (in a lecture theatre). Some are on 35mm, and some (usually much older ones) are shown on DVD. When DVD is projected, blown up on a large theatre screen it looks like ass. Obviously 35mm film has a much higher resolution, that's a given. Sure I may have exaggerated it to begin with, but what I meant was the transition from 480p to 1080p has brought home video a lot closer and pretty much to the quality of film when watched on an HDTV. It's not like the average person's going to begin screening 35mm prints of films in their living room. It's not going to happen. Home video has finally reached the quality of film, for the relative size of a large-screen television.

If HDTVs get to be the size of theatre screens in peoples' homes, then yes we'll need a new format because the only instance where blu-ray won't match the quality of film is when it's blown up on a theatre-sized screen. (Hell, DVD can look phenomenal when shown on a tiny screen. Blow it up and the resolution is lost.)

~Matt

othervoice1
11-13-2008, 11:03 PM
some updated information on the blu-ray for the first one:
Paramount has unveiled final specs for the Blu-ray release of 'Friday the 13th,' which will come to high-def with even more bonus features and Dolby TrueHD audio.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Paramount/Paramount_Confirms_Friday_the_13th_Blu-ray_Specs/2251

Grim
11-13-2008, 11:21 PM
Nice. February can't come soon enough. I really hope they continue this trend with at least the next three films.

Workshed
11-17-2008, 01:10 AM
2 & 3 for me, thanks. Love that Crispin Glover goodness!

killit
11-21-2008, 06:53 PM
now bring blu-ray uncut freddy!

Anthropophagus
11-21-2008, 09:24 PM
None, the series just bores me now. I'd rather watch the Halloween films or the original Nightmare On Elm Street.

Burn
11-25-2008, 05:37 PM
They should make ALL regular dvds Superbit. Lots of people still have regular dvd players. And picture, sound quality is more important than seeing, hearing them talk about what they did while making the movie!

Burn
11-25-2008, 05:39 PM
They should make ALL regular dvds Superbit. Lots of people still have regular dvd players. And picture, sound quality is more important than seeing, hearing them talk about what they did while making the movie!

killit
11-25-2008, 08:48 PM

I def get what your saying, and I usually loathe extras and loud ass dvd menus (I was a laserdisc person shoot me) but I've recently emancipated myself from cable and really enjoy extras now, it can really be a cool fun thing, if you don't have to rush for time, I've been milking extras on my dvds and blu-rays and it's kept me pretty entertained.

Beastus
11-26-2008, 12:59 PM
Just a quick heads-up. A lot of UK etailers is listing part 2 and 3 on Blu-ray. Release date in February by Paramount. So I would assume they will be released in the US as well.

Franco
11-27-2008, 06:57 AM
The original one and only if uncut.

Matt89
11-27-2008, 07:42 AM
It's uncut! :D With HD extras!

~Matt

RickMoe
11-28-2008, 09:45 PM
New Line hasn't made a competent Friday yet. Fuck I hate them.

The first 8 Paramount's only for me.

indiephantom
11-30-2008, 03:16 AM
Although I own them all, New Line's are clearly the worst in the series.

fceurich39
11-30-2008, 04:37 AM
Although I own them all, New Line's are clearly the worst in the series.

i did however like freddy vs jason which was more of a sequel to the nightmare series than jason series and jason goes to hell and jason x were the two worst jason movies but the kills and gore was inventive and great in both films though

CUBANmix
11-30-2008, 06:50 AM
Every single one.

RidgeShark
01-13-2009, 02:43 AM
Definitely the first four. Maybe 5-7.