PDA

View Full Version : No more DVDs

KR~!
11-18-2008, 10:40 PM
I been enjoying blu-ray films for a long time now, but not in my house, now that I am finally getting my very own Blu-Ray player, via a PS3, I think I am going cold turkey with DVDs. So it's all blu-ray from now on!

I am pretty old school when it comes to most stuff, but the one area that I am not is in technology, I haven't watch a VHS in years and in a few years I think I will be saying the same about DVDs.

Dave
11-18-2008, 11:04 PM
I'm getting there, but on the other hand, I still collect lasers. But lasers are more of a collectible to me and I'm *very* picky about what I buy.

But yeah, with everything I buy now (which isn't much), the thought pops in: will there be a blu-ray release relatively soon?

Ever since I cut the credit cards, started living within my means and on a budget, movie buying for me has been about one golden rule: I don't buy the movie unless I will watch it more than once a year. Otherwise, what's the point? Rent the damn thing! I understand the desire to own a movie library, but my library is big enough now. There are so many f'ing titles I don't watch much at all. Plus I live in a city with a kickass library that has tons of DVDs I can borrow for free. TV series, foreign DVDs, etc.

I still pick some stuff up here and there. I did break my rule to pickup a lot of stuff from the HD-DVD firesales (won't be watching the original Star Trek series once a year). And I'm thinking about possibly getting some stuff from the DD sale. Maybe some blu-rays even though I don't have a player yet. But basically I have been living by that rule. The one exception are The Simpsons sets: going to get all of those.

spawningblue
11-18-2008, 11:36 PM
Sometimes it's cheaper to buy then to rent though, unless you go to the library like you mentioned. I go to a place that sells DVD's (Some like a week or two old) for $6, and then they have a deal, buy 2 get one free. So you are paying like $4 a DVD. That and every few months when their stock starts to pile up, they have a deal where buy one, get one free, so $3 a pop! They even have $4 DVDs there, and the deals work on them as well!

As for only buying Blu Rays. I'm a completest, especially when it comes to features, which a lot of Blu's still aren't including, or aren't including all of them, so I still buy DVDs. That and with DVDs movies so cheap used, when I have choice between a $4 DVD, or a $30 Blu Ray, I go with the DVD. New movies though I have been mostly buying on Blu Ray though, with a few exceptions here and there. Overall though, I find that I am still buying a lot more DVD's then Blu Ray, just because their are more movies available, and they ere easier to find used at great prices. If I've never seen the movie I don't mind throwing down $3 or $4 to check it out, but if I spend $30 on the Blu Ray and it isn't very good I'd be disappointed.

BrokeNads
11-18-2008, 11:44 PM
Is ok to say no more for DVDs but Blurays are dvds also to be. I will always buy dvds because there is movies on dvd that will never come to bluray like the very low budgets indies films and also blurays is wanting to display super hi quality images and somes from the old movies is not abling to do this because quality is old nomatter what is done for the remastering so studio is not to release movie that is look bad and old on formate that is for HD people.

KR~!
11-19-2008, 12:35 AM
Blu-Rays from what I have been reading are getting better and better when it comes to extras. But, at the end of the day, I may watch the extras once, but it is the film that really counts.

X-human
11-19-2008, 12:48 AM
The another night I watched an authorized VCD on my regular DVD player because the PS3 wouldn't play it. What the hell is with that?

While I'm keeping up with Blu-ray and holding off on some initial DVD releases for the eventual Blu-ray release I think my own obscure tastes will make DVD my go to format for quite some time. I'm still mixing and matching. Last night was a DVD, the night before that a Blu-ray and the night before that a VCD.

russweiss
11-19-2008, 01:35 AM
There are some titles that just won't be coming out on Blu-ray any time soon (if ever) so it's DVD or nothing.

Ash28M
11-19-2008, 01:52 AM
My rule is if it's a new film I loved. I'll get it on Blu-ray If I just liked it, I 'll just wait till I can get it used for cheap on DVD. I'm also only planning on re-buying classics that I already have if they are in my top 20. Other then that DVD is fine. I don't trust myself on that last rule though:). As for some of you guys only buying DVD's you watch more then once a year. That's cool but I don't really subscribe to that. I just love having the library.

Mutilated Prey
11-19-2008, 04:15 AM
There are some titles that just won't be coming out on Blu-ray any time soon (if ever) so it's DVD or nothing.

Yup, I will never say a full goodbye to DVD's. I still grab old VHS tapes that won't even make it to DVD and tranfer them myself.

Matt89
11-19-2008, 07:23 AM
Blu-Rays from what I have been reading are getting better and better when it comes to extras. But, at the end of the day, I may watch the extras once, but it is the film that really counts.

EXACTLY.

I was kinda bummed about MGM dropping all the extras on the Carrie and Amityville Horror blu-rays, but then I remembered....all the extras on the Amityville DVD sucked asshole, and the special features on the Carrie disc I haven't watched SINCE I bought the DVD. For me, it's the movie that gets the most repetition, certainly not the special features.

However, if there arises a situation (like the UK blu-ray of The Thing) I'll hold off and get the UK disc if it has more features. I mean, why pay the same price for a blu-ray with no extras on it? But if it's the case where there's a special edition DVD and a bare-bones blu-ray, I'll probably choose the blu-ray. I've seen enough documentaries and special features on the movies I love, and I know enough, so for me it's now only about the quality of the presentation of the film that matters.

~Matt

Matt89
11-19-2008, 07:26 AM
Is ok to say no more for DVDs but Blurays are dvds also to be. I will always buy dvds because there is movies on dvd that will never come to bluray like the very low budgets indies films and also blurays is wanting to display super hi quality images and somes from the old movies is not abling to do this because quality is old nomatter what is done for the remastering so studio is not to release movie that is look bad and old on formate that is for HD people.

I wouldn't necessarily say that. Some old movies look absolutely astounding. Take a look at Casablanca, for example. Looks PHENOMENAL in high def. And The Searchers, MY GOD. Absolutely amazing.

~Matt

Kolpitz
11-19-2008, 07:36 AM
I can't say that I'll never buy another DVD because then I'd be a liar. But, I certainly will never buy another DVD if that same movie is on Blu-ray. Price doesn't matter and neither do special features. A perfect example was Heroes: Season Two. The DVD was $30 at Best Buy and the Blu-ray was $50. I didn't even hestitate on picking up the Blu-ray. If you buy a Blu-ray player then that, to me, says you're a movie buff. And no self-respecting movie buff should be buying an inferior quality product, just because of price. But, then again, that's just me. And, maybe in these tough economic times, people simply can't justify the extra cash for the Blu-ray. As for the features, unless it's a full-length documentary, I'm just not excited about features. I don't even watch deleted scenes anymore. Fox / MGM (as Matt already pointed out) are the biggest culprits in the "Lack of Features" department. But, you know what, Kingdom of Heaven looks amazing on Blu and I already watched the documentary (and will never watch it again, as great as it was) so I had no problem replacing my DVD set. But, at the same time, if a title comes out and it's only on DVD then I'll buy the DVD. If the Blu-ray hits later (like American Gangster and Stardust), then I'll probably trade in my DVD for Blu-ray (I have connections at Blockbuster who give me $10 apiece for my old DVDs ... which is usually around what I paid for it, minus $5 or so, which can be justified as a "rental charge"). As for watching them more than once a year, I usually can't even do that with movies I really love. I currently have over 200 unwatched DVDs / Blu-rays. I just like collecting them. It's really the only thing I buy and buying / owning, to me, is just as fun as watching them.

Kolpitz
11-19-2008, 07:38 AM
I wouldn't necessarily say that. Some old movies look absolutely astounding. Take a look at Casablanca, for example. Looks PHENOMENAL in high def. And The Searchers, MY GOD. Absolutely amazing.

~Matt

I need to get The Searchers. I bought Rio Bravo but my parents got me the collector's set of The Searchers on DVD and it feels wrong to sell it and buy the Blu-ray. But, I've heard, from multiple sources, that the transfer is breathtaking.

Matt89
11-19-2008, 07:42 AM
Yeah, The Searchers is jaw-dropping. They have a review comparison over at dvdbeaver.

I have to admit, though I was disappointed with the blu-ray transfer of Rio Bravo. I mean yeah it looks better than the DVD in terms of color and detail, but comparing this to The Searchers, well...there's no comparison.

I just wish Warner had kept all those extra odds and ends from the DVD boxsets and made nice blu-ray sets for these two films. They certainly deserve them.

~Matt

Matt89
11-19-2008, 07:45 AM
I can't say that I'll never buy another DVD because then I'd be a liar. But, I certainly will never buy another DVD if that same movie is on Blu-ray. Price doesn't matter and neither do special features. A perfect example was Heroes: Season Two. The DVD was $30 at Best Buy and the Blu-ray was $50. I didn't even hestitate on picking up the Blu-ray. If you buy a Blu-ray player then that, to me, says you're a movie buff. And no self-respecting movie buff should be buying an inferior quality product, just because of price. But, then again, that's just me.

No, it's not just you. We share the EXACT same mentality. I agree 100% on everything you said there.

~Matt

Kolpitz
11-19-2008, 07:46 AM
I haven't watched Rio Bravo yet but I had heard it wasn't as good as The Searchers. I still had the old DVD at the time so I figured why not upgrade? If I were to sell my Searchers DVD, I'd probably keep all the little extras and just sell the DVDs themselves.

indiephantom
11-19-2008, 04:04 PM
I've tried to make this pact with myself and I've failed a bit. Still bought a couple of cheap DVDs this week that weren't on blu. However, I did make a promise that my last DVD purchases would be in 2008. I may buy a few TV shows on standard next year that are not coming on blu, but my official resolution for 2009 is no more DVDs of feature films.

maybrick
11-19-2008, 04:15 PM
That's all well and good for current releases and popular back catalog titles owned by the major studios, but there are bound to be hundreds if not thousands of other movies that will likely never see the light of day on blu-ray. Good luck holding yourself to that resolution (no pun intended).

Grim
11-19-2008, 04:22 PM
I mostly buy just on blu, unless it is something that I'm at least 90% sure won't be coming on blu for the next couple years, such as Tales from the Crypt, Friday the 13th: the Series, etc.

maybrick
11-19-2008, 04:23 PM
I can't say that I'll never buy another DVD because then I'd be a liar. But, I certainly will never buy another DVD if that same movie is on Blu-ray. Price doesn't matter and neither do special features. A perfect example was Heroes: Season Two. The DVD was $30 at Best Buy and the Blu-ray was $50. I didn't even hestitate on picking up the Blu-ray. If you buy a Blu-ray player then that, to me, says you're a movie buff. And no self-respecting movie buff should be buying an inferior quality product, just because of price. But, then again, that's just me. And, maybe in these tough economic times, people simply can't justify the extra cash for the Blu-ray. As for the features, unless it's a full-length documentary, I'm just not excited about features. I don't even watch deleted scenes anymore.

Trust me, you NEED to watch the deleted scenes included in that HEROES Season 2 set. There's a ton of footage they had to scrap from the next two unfinished episodes due to the writer's strike. They show what route the series would've headed in had the virus been released (which was the writer's original plan). It's like taking a peek into a parallel universe. :)

KR~!
11-19-2008, 06:08 PM
Trust me, you NEED to watch the deleted scenes included in that HEROES Season 2 set. There's a ton of footage they had to scrap from the next two unfinished episodes due to the writer's strike. They show what route the series would've headed in had the virus been released (which was the writer's original plan). It's like taking a peek into a parallel universe. :)

cough...cough...

Heroes: Season 2 [Blu-ray]
price $39.99
Rejoin the epic and suspenseful phenomenon as Heroes: Season 2 arrives on Blu-ray Hi-Def! Experience all the new and exciting twists of the astonishing series in this 4-disc set that includes every gripping Season 2 episode. Plus, see what could have been with exclusive bonus features that reveal the untold stories that never aired and an alternate ending to the season finale, where the fate of humanity takes an ominous turn when Peter fails to catch the vial containing the deadly virus.

X-human
11-19-2008, 07:20 PM
That's all well and good for current releases and popular back catalog titles owned by the major studios, but there are bound to be hundreds if not thousands of other movies that will likely never see the light of day on blu-ray.

Eventually we'll get to the point where a high resolution scan will become the standard. It may be several years from now, but we'll get to the point where it's cost effective to do a HD transfer for even the cheapest production.

Since companies like Dark Sky, Blue Underground and Synapse Films have been forward thinking enough to already have most of their catalog in HD that covers a lot of bases. That's essentially Legend Film's business model. We're already seeing a lot of obscure stuff getting HD releases, like the Paul Naschy flicks from BCI.

I'm already being cautious with buying B-through-Z movies, but it's a tough balance because I still want to support them and the movies I like.

maybrick
11-19-2008, 07:45 PM
cough...cough...

Heroes: Season 2 [Blu-ray]
price $39.99
Rejoin the epic and suspenseful phenomenon as Heroes: Season 2 arrives on Blu-ray Hi-Def! Experience all the new and exciting twists of the astonishing series in this 4-disc set that includes every gripping Season 2 episode. Plus, see what could have been with exclusive bonus features that reveal the untold stories that never aired and an alternate ending to the season finale, where the fate of humanity takes an ominous turn when Peter fails to catch the vial containing the deadly virus.

Those "exclusive" bonus features are also included on the standard-def DVD set as well.

spawningblue
11-19-2008, 11:26 PM
Giving up on DVDs doesn't make sense considering some movies might not get released on Blu Ray for years. that and you can find DVDs used for so cheap, like $3-$4 each, while Blu Rays even used are like $15-$20. I'd rather have 8 DVDs then 2 Blu Rays personally, but to each their own. That and a lot of Blu Rays will probably get released as they have been pretty shifty with quality. Superman Returns, I Am Legend, and 300 are already getting re-released on Blu Ray! That and you know movies like The Thing and Carrie will get put out right, I can wait if I already have the DVD, or can pick up a used DVD for $4 to hold me over. Blu Rays are too pricey to just buy up everything, so I only buy it if it is complete (aka. all the extras), and wait for the eventual double dip.

KR~!
11-20-2008, 12:47 AM
Those "exclusive" bonus features are also included on the standard-def DVD set as well.

but the DVD isn't high def and that is the whole point.

maybrick
11-20-2008, 01:14 AM
but the DVD isn't high def and that is the whole point.

Sorry, guess I didn't see it. All you did was cough and then paste a description of the box set. Actually, I still don't see your angle as none of that contradicts what I said. Kolpitz mentioned buying Season 2 of Heroes but also said he never watches deleted scenes. I just thought he'd like to know what he's missing out on. Whether he bought it on DVD or blu-ray is beside the point.

True, most deleted scenes are pointless, but these ones rock!

Kolpitz
11-20-2008, 04:15 AM

I actually did watch the deleted scenes, along with the featurette because I was very curious about the abandoned season ideas.

Matt89
11-20-2008, 05:09 AM
Giving up on DVDs doesn't make sense considering some movies might not get released on Blu Ray for years. that and you can find DVDs used for so cheap, like $3-$4 each, while Blu Rays even used are like $15-$20. I'd rather have 8 DVDs then 2 Blu Rays personally, but to each their own. That and a lot of Blu Rays will probably get released as they have been pretty shifty with quality. Superman Returns, I Am Legend, and 300 are already getting re-released on Blu Ray! That and you know movies like The Thing and Carrie will get put out right, I can wait if I already have the DVD, or can pick up a used DVD for $4 to hold me over. Blu Rays are too pricey to just buy up everything, so I only buy it if it is complete (aka. all the extras), and wait for the eventual double dip.

Well of course there's going to be a higher price tag for blu-rays. They're not gonna get to the price of DVDs for a while, not until DVD becomes obsolete anyway. They're not going to market a blu-ray for the same price as a DVD. DVDs aren't THAT cheap, though. It's a lot of the bare bones (MGM) DVDs that are that cheap. Sure, used DVDs can be like $5 (I know a bunch of places downtown Toronto that sell used DVDs for that price, and in MINT condition) which is where I've bought a bunch of my DVDs.

I haven't "given up" on DVD yet, I still buy tons of them. I just ordered the Alfred Hitchcock Signature Collection the other day. I know it'll be a while before those come out on blu-ray and I read REALLY good reviews about the image quality. If a movie I want to buy just so happens to be on blu-ray, hands down I'll get the blu-ray. It's all about quality here, and you're paying that extra price for your favorite movies in HIGH DEFINITION.

Oh, and The Thing came out in the UK and Scandinavia with all the extras from the DVD (and this one's a BD-50 as opposed to the North American release that only used a BD-25). And it's region-free.

~Matt

Bristlebane
11-20-2008, 05:33 AM
I have had mu blu ray player for about 3 months now and I have only picked up two titles for it. With the current prices for blu ray I cant justify picking one up when I could pick up 2-4 titles that I really want for the same price. The firesale prices for HD DVD has also gotten me into building an HD collection. My current plan towards my blu ray collection are to just pick up the very essential titles if I can get a good deal on them and if they do not skimp on the extras side of things.

Matt89
11-20-2008, 05:44 AM
Blu rays can be really cheap through Amazon.

~Matt

DrHerbertWest
11-20-2008, 08:06 AM
We have a Blu-Ray set up with a plasma TV and surround sound at work. I throw in some discs like Nightmare Before Christmas, the new Indiana Jones and some animated flicks like Ratatouille and Meet The Robinsons during my shifts. Does it look amazing? Yeah. Is it something I need ASAP? Not at all. We have a widescreen TV at home, a flat screen in the bedroom and a large DVD library. I am perfectly content to stick with that until I can afford something better. I'm really cutting back on my DVD purchases and 'entertainment' stuff, so reading a thread like this always makes me want it. Then I realize I don't NEED it! Haha.

CesspoolOfSkull
11-20-2008, 08:38 AM
I have to say Blu-ray is way too expensive, and as of today the discs are limited on the movies that are currently to my likening. Also even if I did switch to just Blu-ray, I know for sure there are countless movies that will more than likely never come out to blu-ray, I've waited long enough for them to DVD as it is.

Grim
11-20-2008, 04:36 PM
Really, if ya check out the deals on blu-ray discs on Amazon, the prices aren't really that much higher than the standard def version, excluding the absurdly priced 20th Century Fox titles. I was on there a little while ago and they had Diary of the Dead on blu-ray for $13.99.

spawningblue
11-20-2008, 05:39 PM
Well of course there's going to be a higher price tag for blu-rays. They're not gonna get to the price of DVDs for a while, not until DVD becomes obsolete anyway. They're not going to market a blu-ray for the same price as a DVD. DVDs aren't THAT cheap, though. It's a lot of the bare bones (MGM) DVDs that are that cheap. Sure, used DVDs can be like $5 (I know a bunch of places downtown Toronto that sell used DVDs for that price, and in MINT condition) which is where I've bought a bunch of my DVDs.

I haven't "given up" on DVD yet, I still buy tons of them. I just ordered the Alfred Hitchcock Signature Collection the other day. I know it'll be a while before those come out on blu-ray and I read REALLY good reviews about the image quality. If a movie I want to buy just so happens to be on blu-ray, hands down I'll get the blu-ray. It's all about quality here, and you're paying that extra price for your favorite movies in HIGH DEFINITION.

Oh, and The Thing came out in the UK and Scandinavia with all the extras from the DVD (and this one's a BD-50 as opposed to the North American release that only used a BD-25). And it's region-free.

~Matt

Blu rays can be really cheap through Amazon.

~Matt

Really, if ya check out the deals on blu-ray discs on Amazon, the prices aren't really that much higher than the standard def version, excluding the absurdly priced 20th Century Fox titles. I was on there a little while ago and they had Diary of the Dead on blu-ray for $13.99.

Yeah but for us Canadian folk it's hard to find cheap Blu Rays. Amazon isn't much of a deal when you add the shipping, duty, and currency converting costs. That and just because you can find SOME cheap Blu Rays, msot still are not. I want Point Break on Blu Ray, but it still sells for $35 while the DVD is like $8. That's a huge difference in price! Yes, on newer releases the prices aren't a huge difference, and I'm not saying I don't buy Blu Ray movies, I'm just saying I still buy a lot of DVDs because you can find them so cheap used. I buy a mixture of both,though still more slightly on DVD just because their are way more of them and again they are a lot easier to find for bargain prices.

But I did pick up Hellboy 2 and Iron Man on Blu last wekk (As well as 4 other movies) as they were pretty much the same price as their DVD versions (And had all the extras), and plan on grabbing Incredible Hulk, Dark Knight and Casablanca. If they include everything the DVD has then I will go with the Blu Ray. I still refuse to buy Blu rays if they don't include all the extras though (Which is why I bought Doomsday on DVD) unless they are dirt cheap, as I can handle waiting for the eventual double dip. Yes, I know they are all about the video and audio, but as I have stated in various threads I only have a 32" 720 TV and non-HD surround system, so the differences are very minimal to me, so I can hold out for better releases and enjoy my DVDs for now. A lot of you may not care or enjoy extras, or watch them more then once, but I am the opposite, so to each their own. That, and I don't really like having a hundred copies of the same movie on my shelfs. I barely have enough room as it is, that it's not really worth it to me in the end.

spawningblue
11-20-2008, 05:48 PM
Amazon.ca prices aren't very good. I do a lot of my shopping in a Canadian dealer called HMV, and their prices on Blu ray are getting a little better, but still much more then DVDs. They have tons of DVDs for $6, and then many more for 2 for $20, or 2 for $30. Their Blu Ray prices are no cheaper then $25-$30 each (Most at like $35), and their 2 for deals are 2 for $40, or 2 for $50 or $60. Huge difference in prices!

dave13
11-20-2008, 07:19 PM
I'm still buying more dvds than blu rays, although i completely agree that given a choice between blu ray and dvd versions of the same film, the HD version is the only way to go (there are exceptions - after reading disapointing reviews of the barebones robocop HD av quality, I went with the fully loaded dvd for half the price). However I buy so few "new" movies, that i'm rarely faced with the choice. untill they start releasing more classic films on blu, my dvd library will continue to grow. but damn, just looking at movies like the searchers and bullit in HD is a joy...easily worth the extra cash.

oh, spawningblue, hmv is actually a UK company.

dave13
11-20-2008, 07:29 PM
I know a bunch of places downtown Toronto that sell used DVDs for that price, and in MINT condition) which is where I've bought a bunch of my DVDs.

you wouldn't be talking about BMV at Edward and Yonge would you? You know why they're in mint condition, right? cuz half their product is stolen. i know because half my collection got ripped off a few years back and lo and behold they turned up there. i had to call the cops in and argue with the guy for hours - after proving beyond a doubt that they were mine - before he gave em back to me. of course i still shop there because im a filthy hypocrite, but its an interesting story nonetheless.

if you're ever in mississauga check out starstruck entertainment at square one, its the best new product dvd store ive found locally. their selection and prices are always great, their staff knows their stuff, and i'd rather give my hard earned cash to them than a corporate giant like hmv any day of the week. (hahaha, i know this sounds like a plug, but i don't work for them, in case you're wondering)

Matt89
11-20-2008, 09:26 PM
you wouldn't be talking about BMV at Edward and Yonge would you? You know why they're in mint condition, right? cuz half their product is stolen. i know because half my collection got ripped off a few years back and lo and behold they turned up there. i had to call the cops in and argue with the guy for hours - after proving beyond a doubt that they were mine - before he gave em back to me. of course i still shop there because im a filthy hypocrite, but its an interesting story nonetheless.

if you're ever in mississauga check out starstruck entertainment at square one, its the best new product dvd store ive found locally. their selection and prices are always great, their staff knows their stuff, and i'd rather give my hard earned cash to them than a corporate giant like hmv any day of the week. (oh, btw, i DON'T work for them in case you're wondering :D )

Haha yeah. Yonge & Edward. There's another BMV about a block west of Bloor and Spadina as well. (It's even better, and it's MASSIVE! 3 levels.) Not to mention there's a whole bunch of others off Yonge as well. (Oh, and there's another BMV at Yonge & Eglinton. Not as good as the two others, but I've still managed to find some good books and DVDs in there. Two floors.)

But wow, they were selling your "stolen" stuff there? Maybe someone stole it and sold it to BMV. They'd really have no idea. But hey, at least you got them back. LOL speaking of which, I get paid tomorrow. I might drop in there and see what they have! Haven't been in there in a couple weeks. :D

But seriously, that store has saved my life on certain occasions. I've found so many books for school that were LITERALLY half price. They also have a wicked movie book section downstairs at the Bloor location. I must've bought like 25 movie books from them. Everything from film theory, to biographies, to making-of books...it's phenomenal. But I'm sure you know what I mean. :D

And yeah, actually I'm from Mississauga, I love that store. (I know the manager LOL.) Actually, I need to go in and see her, I need some extra part-time work over the holidays to pay off some of my student debts lol.

Oh, and if you're a regular shopper there, they enter your name into their system and boom...10% off your purchase.

LOL and HMV staff...haha I know what you mean. WOW.

But spawningblue, I hear what you're saying. I totally buy DVDs for the exact same reason. Used DVDs are cheap as hell, but if a title I want to get is also on blu-ray, regardless of the price, I'll grab the blu-ray. (I mean, I shop around a bit to find the cheapest price, like I do with pretty much anything I buy.)

I go into HMV quite often, actually. The Toronto Superstore has such an amazing collection. They have more 2/$30 deals than any HMV I've seen before. But that's usually the only reason I'd go in there. Their 2-for deals. Occasionally you'll find something for cheap, but not too often. They tend to be right around retail price for the most part. (Oh and dave13's right, it is a UK based company. Their UK prices aren't that bad, either!)

Yeah that's what I'm talking about. Warner's lowered their prices as well. (Clockwork Orange for $13.99?) And the high-def version of Close Encounters is really only like $4 more than the DVD set, and it has ALL the features. The DVD does not. It really only is Fox/MGM that have outrageous prices for their skimpy blu-rays. Really the pricing isn't that bad. Remember the prices for Laserdisc? About $80 for a title? Really, blu-ray's not bad at all if you know where to look. (Best Buy isn't too bad, either.)

~Matt

KR~!
11-20-2008, 09:35 PM
I know my stance is extreme at the current time, but DVD will not be around forever. There are over 1,000 blu-Ray titles right now and many more will be release. It seems like a waste of money to get a DVD of a film that is on blu-ray. Unless the odds of a film being release on blu-ray are slim and none and you can only get them on DVD then I just do not see the point of wasting money on a dying format.

Matt89
11-20-2008, 09:48 PM
Well I wouldn't call it "dying" just yet. But the future is certainly HD, and when blu-ray catches on completely, you can count on those rare titles that eventually made their way to DVD to eventually make their way to blu-ray. (Hell, Faces of Death and The Final Countdown have already made their way to blu!) It's quickly becoming less of a niche format, and more of a standard format, I think. The blu-ray racks are just getting bigger and bigger in stores now.

~Matt

dave13
11-20-2008, 10:11 PM
Haha yeah. Yonge & Edward. There's another BMV about a block west of Bloor and Spadina as well. (It's even better, and it's MASSIVE! 3 levels.) Not to mention there's a whole bunch of others off Yonge as well. (Oh, and there's another BMV at Yonge & Eglinton. Not as good as the two others, but I've still managed to find some good books and DVDs in there. Two floors.)

But wow, they were selling your "stolen" stuff there? Maybe someone stole it and sold it to BMV. They'd really have no idea. But hey, at least you got them back. LOL speaking of which, I get paid tomorrow. I might drop in there and see what they have! Haven't been in there in a couple weeks. :D

But seriously, that store has saved my life on certain occasions. I've found so many books for school that were LITERALLY half price. They also have a wicked movie book section downstairs at the Bloor location. I must've bought like 25 movie books from them. Everything from film theory, to biographies, to making-of books...it's phenomenal. But I'm sure you know what I mean. :D

And yeah, actually I'm from Mississauga, I love that store. (I know the manager LOL.) Actually, I need to go in and see her, I need some extra part-time work over the holidays to pay off some of my student debts lol.

Oh, and if you're a regular shopper there, they enter your name into their system and boom...10% off your purchase.

hahaha, dude I'm already all over that! the 10% off is a sweet deal. And their staff really is top notch. Last boxing day i went in to grab the warners hitchcock signature box (his warner's flics don't get the press his uni ones do, but there are some real gems in there) and i noticed that it had gone up in price 10 bucks. as i was checking out i mentioned this to the guy at the cash. and just like that he knocked $10 bucks right back off for me. i was very impressed, and i actually go out of my way to buy things there now.

yeah, i know about the 3 story bmv on bloor, AND the one on eglinton. I've been meaning to hit up the yonge and edward one soon, since all these "movies we want on dvd" threads are making me wanna go raid their vhs tables.

you probably know about this one already, but if you're looking for books, the best place i found for second hand books of all kinds is elliots bookshop on yonge. 3 stories and it just keeps going back and back and back. and when you buy a book they wrap it in a brown paper bag and tape it shut for ya. its pretty damn classy.

spawningblue
11-20-2008, 10:17 PM

if you're ever in mississauga check out starstruck entertainment at square one, its the best new product dvd store ive found locally. their selection and prices are always great, their staff knows their stuff, and i'd rather give my hard earned cash to them than a corporate giant like hmv any day of the week. (hahaha, i know this sounds like a plug, but i don't work for them, in case you're wondering)

haha I go to BMV as well. I just starting working in To. in August, so it's all new to me, and that store rocked my world. Spent over a $100 in there a couple weeks ago on some sweet comics and hardcover books. Got Horror Movies of the 80's hardcover for $20, it sells on Amazon.com for $50! Picked up a couple other horror related coffee table books as well.

Another store that I just found out about on my way to Future Shop on Young St. It's a small shady little store about a block from the Future Shop and across from the mall. Right now they have hundreds of DVDs sealed for $6 each, or 4 for $20. They had some decent movies there too. The Breed, People Under the Stairs, Lost in Translation, Fletch, American Splendor, Knocked Up, ect. As well, they had some seasons sets that were the same prices, bunch of old and new TMNT sets, Moonlighting, Danger Mouse, ect. I ended up spending $60, and might head back again next week as there were still a few left that I wanted to pick up.

dave13
11-20-2008, 10:19 PM
i don't mean to badmouth bmv though. i mean its a pawnshop for christ's sake. if they were too particular about who they bought from then they'd go out of business. and i don't blame the guy for not wanting to give em back to me (see i can be really understanding since, in the end, i got my stuff back - if i hadn't, i'd be singing a different tune). there were about 60 of em, so he probably lost out on a good chunk of change. but before i got there they'd already sold my copy of Tool - Salival, which, if you're a tool fan, you'll know is long OOP and goes for about $150 on ebay AND my Army of Darkness LE directors cut, so they profited off my suffering enough.

spawningblue
11-20-2008, 10:20 PM
hahaha, dude I'm already all over that! the 10% off is a sweet deal. And their staff really is top notch. Last boxing day i went in to grab the warners hitchcock signature box (his warner's flics don't get the press his uni ones do, but there are some real gems in there) and i noticed that it had gone up in price 10 bucks. as i was checking out i mentioned this to the guy at the cash. and just like that he knocked $10 bucks right back off for me. i was very impressed, and i actually go out of my way to buy things there now.

yeah, i know about the 3 story bmv on bloor, AND the one on eglinton. I've been meaning to hit up the yonge and edward one soon, since all these "movies we want on dvd" threads are making me wanna go raid their vhs tables.

you probably know about this one already, but if you're looking for books, the best place i found for second hand books of all kinds is elliots bookshop on yonge. 3 stories and it just keeps going back and back and back. and when you buy a book they wrap it in a brown paper bag and tape it shut for ya. its pretty damn classy.

Yeah I went to Elliott's as well not too long ago, picked up some horror books there as well. They are a little pricier then BMV, but they do have a slightly bigger selection (Then the one on Edward).

dave13
11-20-2008, 10:38 PM
haha I go to BMV as well. I just starting working in To. in August, so it's all new to me, and that store rocked my world. Spent over a $100 in there a couple weeks ago on some sweet comics and hardcover books. Got Horror Movies of the 80's hardcover for $20, it sells on Amazon.com for $50! Picked up a couple other horror related coffee table books as well.

Another store that I just found out about on my way to Future Shop on Young St. It's a small shady little store about a block from the Future Shop and across from the mall. Right now they have hundreds of DVDs sealed for $6 each, or 4 for $20. They had some decent movies there too. The Breed, People Under the Stairs, Lost in Translation, Fletch, American Splendor, Knocked Up, ect. As well, they had some seasons sets that were the same prices, bunch of old and new TMNT sets, Moonlighting, Danger Mouse, ect. I ended up spending $60, and might head back again next week as there were still a few left that I wanted to pick up.

Whats the name of the store? i only go downtown every couple of weeks or so (used to live at dundas and university, now in brampton) and i'd love to check it out this weekend.

true, elliots may be a bit pricier, but i find their selection to be really fantastic...not just quantity wise, but quality as well. they've got some really amazing non fiction and classic fiction upstairs, not to mention an amazingly large fantasy/sci-fi section in the back. when i was living downtown i'd do a whole circuit of stores, looking for specific movies and books. you'd find different things at different stores, so it pays to know of as many as you can. yonge between bloor and dundas is a gold mine for second hand books and dvds.

Matt89
11-20-2008, 10:38 PM
Yeah man Elloit's is a wicked store. I can't even go into places like Chapters anymore because of their "regular" prices. (I had to a couple weeks ago, only because they were the only place that carried Live Fast, Die Young: The Wild Ride of Making 'Rebel Without a Cause' so I felt a little cheated lol.) I also had to go in there to grab a copy of Lolita for school cuz I couldn't find the right one (it had to be the one by a certain publisher.) Chapters had it (World's Biggest Bookstore on Edward) and THE GUY HAD NEVER HEARD OF IT! I couldn't fucking believe it. "Uhh...how do you spell it?" I mean COME ON!

spawningblue, where do you work exactly? And dave, do you go to school downtown by any chance?

~Matt

Matt89
11-20-2008, 10:41 PM
Oh, and there's another Starstruck at Sherway and one at the Scarborough Town Centre, but serisously...the best one is definitely at Square One. :D (I had about a half-hour conversation with a guy in there about The Evil Dead. haha I love their staff!) They're actually very picky about who they hire, and I seriously think they make the right decisions.

~Matt

Grim
11-20-2008, 10:47 PM
(there are exceptions - after reading disapointing reviews of the barebones robocop HD av quality, I went with the fully loaded dvd for half the price).

I have the RoboCop blu-ray and there are no complaints from me. RoboCop has always been a gritty, grainy film, which I think was probably a stylistic choice. The blu-ray not only enhances the detail, but the colors are a lot better as well. Also, there was a screener blu-ray that was sent out by Fox awhile back that got horrid reviews (not to mention it was only the R-rated cut), then that disc never ended up getting released. Fox eventually released another blu-ray disc, which is the one out now, and its the uncut version. So you might have been reading reviews for that first disc. As for features, I already have the DVD box set so I'm good. Still, I've noticed a lot of blu-ray reviewers complaining about stuff such as grain, which is in the film itself.

dave13
11-20-2008, 10:53 PM
No, i went to queens. but when i graduated (fuck its been over 3 years!) i moved in with some friends who DID go to school in TO. one went to UofT and the other to OCAD. I know about the starstruck in Sherway, but didn't know about the one at scarborough town. The one at sherway just feels wrong! its like going home after a long absence and everybodies moved your stuff! square one is by far the best.

man, good luck finding anything at worlds biggest. i used to work at a coles in commerce court by yonge and adelaide and found out all about those guys. turns out when they were engulfed by the beast that is indigo they were able to keep their unionized status. the workers there are on fucking tenure. most of them don't give a shit and are just punching a clock. me, if i won the lottery right now, i'd head right back to coles. working there was the most fun ive had at work in my whole life. i mean can you imagine getting paid to recommend and discuss books? too bad they couldn't pay more than minimum wage.

you know, some of those robocop discs did get out. i saw one at a future shop near my place. im sure the blu ray is a step up. and the reviews may have been wrong, but im pretty happy with mine. i love verhoevens commentaries so much, its a big selling point for me....the barebones blu ray made me vary sad.

Matt89
11-20-2008, 11:02 PM
Yeah I have a couple friends who go to Queens. (Fuckin' good university, I must say) but yeah I love downtown. There's so much stuff you can find, and for such a good price.

But yeah I hate World's Biggest. It's such a disaster to find anything. When I went in there to grab Lolita, the computer said they had 9 copies, but there were none on the shelf. After looking around for almost half an hour, the guys came out of the back room and told me there was no stock back there and there must've been an error in the computer. Dumbasses...

~Matt

spawningblue
11-20-2008, 11:15 PM
Whats the name of the store? i only go downtown every couple of weeks or so (used to live at dundas and university, now in brampton) and i'd love to check it out this weekend.

true, elliots may be a bit pricier, but i find their selection to be really fantastic...not just quantity wise, but quality as well. they've got some really amazing non fiction and classic fiction upstairs, not to mention an amazingly large fantasy/sci-fi section in the back. when i was living downtown i'd do a whole circuit of stores, looking for specific movies and books. you'd find different things at different stores, so it pays to know of as many as you can. yonge between bloor and dundas is a gold mine for second hand books and dvds.

Yeah I wasn't putting down Elliotts, I picked upa couple books from there, wa sjsut stating that they are a little pricier then BMV, still a hell of a lot cheaper then any new book sotre though! I love bargain shopping downtown for used books, comics, CDs, or DVDs! So fun, and you can really find soem great buys if you seacrh out for them. Like going to a giant flea market, but with actually good stuff.

As for the store, unfortunately I can't remember the name of it, I just know it's right across from the mall on Yonge St. a block from F-Shop. They had a rack of DVDs outside the store with a sign saying 4 for $20. It's a small store that just sells books and DVDs, so I'm sure you'll find it.

spawningblue
11-20-2008, 11:30 PM
Yeah man Elloit's is a wicked store. I can't even go into places like Chapters anymore because of their "regular" prices. (I had to a couple weeks ago, only because they were the only place that carried Live Fast, Die Young: The Wild Ride of Making 'Rebel Without a Cause' so I felt a little cheated lol.) I also had to go in there to grab a copy of Lolita for school cuz I couldn't find the right one (it had to be the one by a certain publisher.) Chapters had it (World's Biggest Bookstore on Edward) and THE GUY HAD NEVER HEARD OF IT! I couldn't fucking believe it. "Uhh...how do you spell it?" I mean COME ON!

spawningblue, where do you work exactly? And dave, do you go to school downtown by any chance?

~Matt

Yeah Indigo and Chapters are horrible, and the people, well at least at the Indigo i went to didn't know anything, and acted like I was bothering them by asking for their help finding a book.

Matt if you have a credit card I recommend purchasing books from Amazon.ca. Most of their prices are close to Amazon.com's, and is about half of what stores like Indigo or Chapters charge. That and if you spend a certain amount, shipping is free, and you get in within a week. Oh, and they ship them sealed in plastic in a box, so they arrive in perfect condition. I placed an order the other week and got the Marvel and DC hardcover Encyclopedia's for $27 each (Chapter's charges $44 each), Hellboy Library Edition hardcover Vol. 1 for $33 (charge $60), Crystal Lake Memories hardcover $39 ($62), Fangoria's 101 Best Horror Movies $15 ($21), and The Hammer Story hardcover for $27 ($44).

Oh, and I work at Technicolor on Adelaide St.

Matt89
11-21-2008, 01:01 AM
Yeah Indigo and Chapters are horrible, and the people, well at least at the Indigo i went to didn't know anything, and acted like I was bothering them by asking for their help finding a book.

Matt if you have a credit card I recommend purchasing books from Amazon.ca. Most of their prices are close to Amazon.com's, and is about half of what stores like Indigo or Chapters charge. That and if you spend a certain amount, shipping is free, and you get in within a week. Oh, and they ship them sealed in plastic in a box, so they arrive in perfect condition. I placed an order the other week and got the Marvel and DC hardcover Encyclopedia's for $27 each (Chapter's charges $44 each), Hellboy Library Edition hardcover Vol. 1 for $33 (charge $60), Crystal Lake Memories hardcover $39 ($62), Fangoria's 101 Best Horror Movies $15 ($21), and The Hammer Story hardcover for $27 ($44).

Oh, and I work at Technicolor on Adelaide St.

LOL yeah I definitely have a credit card, I order off amazon all the time. I've only ordered off Amazon.ca a few times, though. I just like the convenience of getting the book right away. And in terms of school, I generally need the books right away. Amazon's amazingly fast, which is why I generally hate ordering from somewhere like DeepDiscount, where you DO save money, but it takes FOREVER to get your stuff. (To Canada, at least. Shit they take like 3 weeks sometimes.)

And yeah I got the Crystal Lake Memories book for DIRT cheap off amazon. Totally worth the price.

And you work at Technicolor? That's ballin' LOL.

~Matt

dave13
11-21-2008, 02:46 AM
i thought crystal lake memories was OOP? i picked it up off ebay for about 45 a few months back and thought i'd got a great deal!....looks like amazon would have been a better bet.

don't worry spawningblue, i knew you weren't knocking elliots. and bmv is a fantastic place for books. i remember i picked up some really nice editions of the two volumes of clive barkers books of blood for like 4 bucks each.

matt, i'm betting you're a film student...where do you go? york? UofT? george brown? im trying to get into more film books. ive read paul sammons future noir: the making of blade runner, Patrick McGilligan's biography on hitchcock "A Life in Darkness and Light", and Truffaut's interview with Hitchcock, but not much else. so lay it on me buddy. gimme some recommendations.

Matt89
11-21-2008, 02:57 AM
Haha, yeah I'm a film student and I go to UofT. I've found some rather interesting books by searching through BMV's basement LOL, and I'd strongly recommend The Genius of the System by Thomas Schatz. It talks about (in great detail) the classical Hollywood system, and the people who made it work. (There's a few chapters on Hitchcock and David O. Selznick, how they worked together and ineviatbly went their own ways.) It's probably the best book you can find on classical Hollywood.

Another one is a book called Nigel Andrews on Jaws. I found this particularly interesting, and it's basically an analysis of the film.

Arthur Penn's Bonnie and Clyde by Lester D. Freidman is another great book. It talks about the film from a cultural perspective, how it prompted America to implement a ratings system, and how the film was made, etc etc. An extremely interesting read.

And a great book on New Hollywood is a book called New Hollywood - From Bonnie & Clyde to Star Wars by Peter Kramer that goes into detail about the films that came out during that period, their influences, and how they were received upon their release. It gives a lot of in-depth information through both analytical and tecnhical perspectives.

That's a good start, anyway. :D

~Matt

mlock
01-25-2009, 05:58 AM
For me, like most of you, it depends on the specific title and price. If I can buy the movie cheap on blu ray with no features, like Nightmare on Elm Street, Sin City or From Dusk Till Dawn for example, I'll go for it. As for the extras, I have the capability to burn (am I allowed to say that on this forum? If not I apologize!) them onto a blank and have the best of both worlds. I plan to the same thing with the Alliance version of Freddy Vs Jason blu ray as well. In certain cases however, I watch the features more than the movie itself, or if it's a movie I've already seen a bunch of times. I'm a big James Bond fan and already own the recent restored DVD box set editions. I'm perfectly happy with them, but will (and have) upgraded only a couple of my most favorite titles. I believe the DVD format won't be going anywhere anytime soon so I'll continue to purchase (or copy) titles if no blu ray is on the horizon, or if I don't feel it's necassary to own in high-def.