PDA

View Full Version : YAY The Crazies is coming to Blu-Rayand more BU titles!!!

fceurich39
12-10-2008, 01:04 AM
looks like it will be awhile though

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/14598/

Mutilated Prey
12-10-2008, 01:56 AM
Nice, and more importantly (at least imo) THE PROWLER!!!!!

Thanks for the update fceurich39!

Regurgitate
12-10-2008, 02:03 AM
Blue Underground has a very relaxed pace when it comes to releasing Blu Ray, but I will give them the kudos for at least releasing Blus.

zombi3
12-10-2008, 03:55 AM
New York Ripper...nice. I'll be picking up some of these for sure. Where's Zombie though?

Erick H.
12-10-2008, 08:15 AM
Some good ones,might be a bit of a wait,though.

ekent
12-10-2008, 03:21 PM
Maniac is a must have.
The Prowler musters up some interest.
The Crazies will pain me to double dip on, I'll probably wait for a very low price.

Grim
12-10-2008, 03:39 PM
I'm sure right now they're just kind of taking it slow to make sure they don't invest a ton in a format that won't last. I think if and when blu-ray catches on big time with the public, BU will start releasing blu-rays at a faster pace. Anywho, looking forward to a bunch of those titles, though I'm still disappointed with the lack of Argento or Fulci.

geeare
12-10-2008, 04:26 PM
M A N I A C

giddy-up!!!!!

Kim Bruun
12-10-2008, 04:33 PM
I don't even have a Blu-ray player yet, but I will definitely be getting The Prowler - one of my favourite slashers and horror movies overall.

maybrick
12-10-2008, 04:45 PM
I'm sure right now they're just kind of taking it slow to make sure they don't invest a ton in a format that won't last. I think if and when blu-ray catches on big time with the public, BU will start releasing blu-rays at a faster pace.

I think you're right. Bill Lustig would be very wise to do so. Blu-ray is facing an uphill battle, imo. On a good day most people aren't impressed enough with the format to upgrade from DVD, but now we're officially in a recession and a lot of us don't have extra cash to throw away on frivolities. I wouldn't place any bets on the format surviving yet, that's for sure.

j tea
12-10-2008, 09:00 PM
someone on the bloodydisgusting thread said "Blu-ray is the BEST thing to happen to the entertainment industry in a LONG time." maybe this is the wrong place to ask, but what is so great about it? it doesnt seem anywhere near a paradigm shift from the dvd to me.

Mutilated Prey
12-10-2008, 09:28 PM
someone on the bloodydisgusting thread said "Blu-ray is the BEST thing to happen to the entertainment industry in a LONG time." maybe this is the wrong place to ask, but what is so great about it? it doesnt seem anywhere near a paradigm shift from the dvd to me.

It's much more precise to detail when it comes to video. I have DVD and Blu-Ray copies of stuff like Halloween and Texas Chainsaw Massacre. On a high definition tv you can clearly see a vast improvement. Audio is pretty much the same, unless the Blu adds a DTS channel that was not previously on the DVD. Also, Blu's have a lot more space - no need for multiple disc releases anymore. Pack all your extras and movie on one disc.

I personally do not see Blu-Ray going anywhere for a long time. It didn't blow away HD to just curl up and die in the near future. Get yourself a PS3 and enjoy the best of both worlds from a video gaming and movie perspective.

j tea
12-10-2008, 09:32 PM
thanks! they would just get robbed from my house. i think criminals can smell fancy teevees from the road.

Mutilated Prey
12-10-2008, 09:43 PM
Ha! Well there you go. When you move yourself to a safer area, or get yourself a shotgun, I'm sure the medium will still be around :)

Matt89
12-10-2008, 09:47 PM
^ LMAO! :lol:

~Matt

j tea
12-10-2008, 10:22 PM
i cant wait!!!

spawningblue
12-10-2008, 10:24 PM
It's much more precise to detail when it comes to video. I have DVD and Blu-Ray copies of stuff like Halloween and Texas Chainsaw Massacre. On a high definition tv you can clearly see a vast improvement. Audio is pretty much the same, unless the Blu adds a DTS channel that was not previously on the DVD. Also, Blu's have a lot more space - no need for multiple disc releases anymore. Pack all your extras and movie on one disc.

I personally do not see Blu-Ray going anywhere for a long time. It didn't blow away HD to just curl up and die in the near future. Get yourself a PS3 and enjoy the best of both worlds from a video gaming and movie perspective.

I agree with the better picture (If you have a big screen hi def TV) and the better sound (If you have a $800 HD surround system) but as for no longer needing multiple discs and including all the extras that is completely false. If theory they should use less discs, but most of the time that is not the case as the improved audio and video take up so much space on the disc. As for extras, that is a joke! You'll be lucky if Blu Ray discs include some of the extras, let alone all of them. And then there are companies like Universal who include the main ones, but then stick them on a picture to picture track where you have to watch them in a small square box with no continuity at all.

That's not even including all the companies that still refuse to include extras at all. And if you enjoy all the original poster art, advertising, deleted scenes, ect. stills, well forget about them, because 90% of Blu Ray discs leave them off, even though they have SO MUCH space. Even though I try to buy everything on Blu Ray, being an completest, that isn't always the case as I still have been buying a DVD here and there for a new movie as the Blu Ray will leave stuff off. I definitely haven't felt the need to replace a lot of my DVDs yet, as Blu Ray's always tend to leave off at least one extra from previous DVD releases.

So yes, the picture and audio are that much better, but I still can't help but be a little disappointed with the way they have been releasing movies. Hopefully they will double dip on a lot of these half assed Blu Ray releases sometime in the near future.

Actyually jsut reading the Bliu Ray reviews on this site, I don't think there has been one Blu Ray that included every little extra that you could sell off your old DVD. Halloween is missing a featurette, all the Blue Underground discs leave off their still galleries, ect.

Mutilated Prey
12-10-2008, 10:48 PM
I agree with the better picture (If you have a big screen hi def TV) and the better sound (If you have a $800 HD surround system) but as for no longer needing multiple discs and including all the extras that is completely false. If theory they should use less discs, but most of the time that is not the case as the improved audio and video take up so much space on the disc. As for extras, that is a joke! You'll be lucky if Blu Ray discs include some of the extras, let alone all of them.

Alright, easy there "completely false" boy ;)
I didn't say that all Blu's have every extra every released, but my point was there is definitely enough room for them - Dual (50 GB) and Quad layer (100 GB). I think I even read something about a 16 layer (400 GB). I didn't notice any extras missing from the Texas Chainsaw Massacre Blu, but then again, I am not an extra's completist. The ones I cared about were all still there. I like the deleted scenes and stuff like that, but that's about it.

So, I guess the moral of the story is if you have to have the extras you're accustomed to on the DVD, maybe check to ensure the Blu does too

spawningblue
12-10-2008, 11:09 PM
Alright, easy there "completely false" boy ;)
I didn't say that all Blu's have every extra every released, but my point was there is definitely enough room for them - Dual (50 GB) and Quad layer (100 GB). I think I even read something about a 16 layer (400 GB). I didn't notice any extras missing from the Texas Chainsaw Massacre Blu, but then again, I am not an extra's completist. The ones I cared about were all still there. I like the deleted scenes and stuff like that, but that's about it.

So, I guess the moral of the story is if you have to have the extras you're accustomed to on the DVD, maybe check to ensure the Blu does too

That's one of the things I've been most dissapointed about Blu Ray since it came out. Before it was released they talked about how muhc space there would be, and how you could fit a 4 disc set like Lord of the Rings on one or two discs, but in reality, they rarely ever do that because:

a) They can't make as much money off a one disc set
b) the video and audio take up so much room, the extras as well if they make them hi def.
c) They're cheap and would rather delete extras and throw them on a 25 Gb disc as opposed to the more expensive 50 Gb discs. Hell, Black Christmas could have looked a lot better if they didn't compress it and try to fit it on a 25 GB disc

I am not fully knocking Blu Ray discs, as if you search around, and read up, you can find some really great discs. But no one can deny that there is a lot more potential then they have been using. All movies should use at least 50 GB discs, all extras should be included (Including still galleries!), audio should always be HD, and if possible, new exciting extras should be added. But at the very least, being a newer format with so much bigger discs, everything from the previous DVD should be included! It's laziness and that is all.

But I've talked about this on other threads so I will leave it alone on here. Just be warned if you are getting into Blu and are a completest, be careful before you sell off your old DVDs, as 90% of the time they include something that the newer Blu Rays won't. So get used to owning several copies of the same movie. Oh, and yes, that includes Blue Underground titles as it looks like they aren't going to include any of their still galleries from their older DVDs.

spawningblue
12-10-2008, 11:13 PM
Oh, and yes the Texas Blu Ray included everything down to the still gallery. I wish more companies would put in the effort that Dar Sky did. My only complaint was that they could have included it in a steel case again, as the DVD case is pretty damn sweet! :D

j tea
12-10-2008, 11:19 PM
i just dont think i will get really excited until there is a paradigm shifting format, like every movie ever is available over the internet/cable and you can purchase it in perpetuity but never have the physical artifact. i guess they are close to that with the on demand stuff (i guess, i only have basic cable). i dont know if i would get excited about that even because i like the physical artifacts. the next thing i would like to see in terms of physical media would be a solid state storage device, like a usb key or something that plugs into the teevee.

X-human
12-11-2008, 12:27 AM
I think you're right. Bill Lustig would be very wise to do so. Blu-ray is facing an uphill battle, imo. On a good day most people aren't impressed enough with the format to upgrade from DVD, but now we're officially in a recession and a lot of us don't have extra cash to throw away on frivolities. I wouldn't place any bets on the format surviving yet, that's for sure.

Blu-ray is at over 10% market share, that's nothing to scoff at.

With everyone buying HD TV-sets for the digital conversion (stupidly, instead of just getting the nearly free digital receiver from the government) we're going to be seeing more and more people upgrading to Blu-ray. I seriously doubt they're going to suddenly come to some realization that "HD isn't that much better" and will drop their widescreen tv's off on the nearest corner.

Doubters have been tolling the death bell for Blu-ray for many years now, instead Blu-ray has just be getting stronger and stronger sales.

Katatonia
12-11-2008, 12:42 AM
I'll definitely be interested in Daughters of Darkness and The Prowler, and perhaps The Toolbox Murders, but the others I could really care less about...at least until the disc prices come way down.

indiephantom
12-25-2008, 07:14 AM
New.
York.
Ripper.

Sold. :)

KamuiX
12-25-2008, 07:20 AM
Maniac is a must-buy...and Daughters of Darkness should look amazing on Blu-Ray.