PDA

View Full Version : Worst films of the year please...

DeepDownTraumaHound
01-05-2001, 06:20 AM
I want everyone to know that the 2 worst films I have seen this year are without a doubt sad representations of films produced in response to the new horror generation.
Dracula 2000 and Bless the Child.
(It's a shame too, I like Johnny lee Miller)
Don't get me wrong, i love a bad horror film, but these are just a joke. I can sit and watch silly horror films all day, but at least they know they are silly. these big budget shitters want to be taken seriously. I'm afraid if more like these come out, we're in for some down time in the horror biz.I know you've read this from me already, but the word must be spread. avoid these films!

------------------
"Do you have to open graves to find a girl to fall in love with?"

DeepDownTraumaHound
01-05-2001, 08:23 PM
Does anybody agree or disagree with me? I obviously feel strongly about my thoughts, and I am intersted if anybody else harbors these loathsome feelings. Bless the Child is soon to be a special edition DVD, and we still haven't seen Return of the Living Dead, at all on DVD. (or VHS for a while for that matter!!!)

------------------

rhett
01-05-2001, 09:58 PM
I didn't HATE Bless the Child, but I found it to be a big disappointment. There were some okay effects, but the story was just mediocre, as were all the actors.

The concpet for Drcaula 2K was alright, but I think rushing it had a big hit on the final product. Still, I liked this more than BTC, but both were underachievements if you ask me.

englishken
01-06-2001, 07:50 PM
unbreakable was 2 hours of sheer torture

DeepDownTraumaHound
01-06-2001, 10:21 PM
Oh how could I forget Unbreakable? What a lousy movie! Sixth Sense was suprisingly well done to me, but Unbreakable was just laughable. That one is also in the top 5 worst, most terrible, horrendously lousy movies of the year! I was embarrassed as i watched the film, i'm not kidding!

------------------

Django
01-07-2001, 12:35 AM
My problem is that I didn't go see any of these movies everyone says sucks...

n1ghtmare
01-07-2001, 06:18 AM
Urban Legends: Final Cut.

How anyone could have even remotely enjoyed this film (aside from one creative, yet strangely out of place death) is far beyond me.

The Chaostar
01-07-2001, 11:17 AM
Really?
I thought UNBREAKABLE was a wonderful movie, one of the best of the year!
Well, my worst movies of this year would be
"THE 6th DAY".
Now THIS was BAD!

Jeremy
01-08-2001, 04:52 AM
GODZILLA 2000

The American cut, mind you, with 30 missing minutes and really bad dubbing.

joltaddict
01-08-2001, 06:41 AM
Any opinions on that Wionna Rider flick? Its supposed to come out on DVD in March. I haven't seen it. It looked pretty craptacular... but the way they market horror movies now you never know.

[This message has been edited by joltaddict (edited 01-08-2001).]

ctyner
01-08-2001, 02:02 PM
I enjoyed "Urban Legend" quite a bit, and actually, in my quasi-review that I posted...somewhere on this forum, I made mention of that one death. It almost seemed like it was from another movie or something and spliced in. http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/confused.gif The movie was reminiscent of dumb '80s slashers, which I happen to enjoy. I wouldn't say it's good, but I still liked it enough to buy the DVD next month.

"Bless The Child" gets the nod as the worst genre movie I've seen this year, though I think "Boys and Girls" was just a little worse. Thankfully, I saw both at the dollar theater at college, so at least I wasn't out more than a few bucks...

Edit -- Joltaddict: "Lost Souls" got the worst rating I've ever seen on <a href="http://www.rottentomatoes.com/">Rotten Tomatoes</a>, although the reviews I actually sat down and read didn't seem that negative.

------------------
My DVD list (http://www.weirdal.org/me/html/dvd/list.php3) | bigwolfoncampus.org (http://www.bigwolfoncampus.org)

[This message has been edited by ctyner (edited 01-08-2001).]

Lawrence
01-08-2001, 05:12 PM
Ken i definately agree with you about Unbreakable. What a pile of crap. I watched it on New Years Day avec hangover(which didnt help)That definately was torture!! Dont think i'll bother with Bless the Child or Lost Souls.

Is there anythig to look forward to in 2001? (dont say Jason X cos that will be a straight to video effort in the UK along with Hellraiser 5 no doubt!)

David666
01-09-2001, 12:32 AM
Worst films of the YEAR:

1. Hellraiser: Inferno
2. Scary Movie

I actually liked, Bless the Child, Dracula 2000, Lost SOuls and Urban Legends: Final CUt. Admittingly they could have been better, but how often does any film live up to its potential? Not all that often!!! In fact the last few films that I can remember that lived up to their hype and potential were Evita, eXistenZ, Blair Witch and Titanic. So they are quite few and far between.

------------------
-David

"Didn't they tell you Kirsty, the rules of the fairy tale have changed. Not only am I the wicked stepmother, but I'm also the evil queen. So come on! Take your best shot, Snow White!"
- Julia (Claire Higgings)
Hellbound: Hellraiser 2

"If I go crazy then will you still call me Superman?"
... who knows, its on the radio all the time.

Ash
01-09-2001, 03:21 PM
I was unfortunate to be dragged to see Dracula 2000 last night. Luckily my friend paid for me. Let me say it was a gawd awful over commercialized piece of crap. The story had no structure and the movie was screaming virgin records. The actors for the (exception of Christopher Plummer) and the dialogue was just plain bad. They've could of done so much with the movie but they didn't. This movie reinforced my hatred for Wes Craven movies.

------------------
Ash - webmaster@deadites.net
Deadites Online - www.deadites.net (http://www.deadites.net)

Jason Reynolds
01-09-2001, 03:42 PM
Worst film I saw at the theater this year - Blair Witch 2 - Book of Shadows.

Worst film I bought on DVD - tie between Santa Claws and Sideshow.

I liked Dracula 2000. Certainly nothing great, but watchable.

I also liked Unbreakable. It was no where near as good as Sixth Sense, but Bruce Willis and Sam Jackson are two of my favorite actors.

-Jason

DeepDownTraumaHound
01-09-2001, 08:03 PM
I can't agree with the Crapula 2000 OR Bless the Child likability. These films are poorly writen and horribly acted, yet still crave, and recieve, media attention for a job NOT well done! I am also pissed simply because Bless the, god fucking help me, child has a special edition DVD coming out just because it got a theatrical run that it most certainly DID NOT deserve! Great, a spec. ed. to show us all how you too can make a stupid movie for the masses. Dracula 2000 was, sorry, a sad joke, and it will no doubt get the works on DVD while I have classic HORROR movies like Cujo, Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 and Pet Semetery with absolutely nothing on them. BAREBONES! I am not alone on this.
Note I am not being hostile, just debating. thanks in advance.

------------------

DopeChamberX
01-10-2001, 01:40 AM
I think The Watcher was by far the worse film ever to be released this year, the only thing scary about Keanu Reeves is him trying to act scary. Scary Movie is a close 2nd and The Exorcist: TVYNS is 3rd.

I enjoyed Urban Legends, Dracula, and even Book of Shadows. I'm a sucker for these types of films, and I try not to take them so seriously. I just have fun at these films, well try, lots of annoying people seeing movies nowadays (luckily not a single soul was in the BW2 theater http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/biggrin.gif).

I never had any real desire to see Lost Souls, Bless the Child, or Unbreakable, so I can't make any judgements on them as of yet.

------------------
"It's not who you come with, it's who you take home." - Prom Night 4

"...find something you love doing and do it for the rest of your life..." - Rushmore

DeepDownTraumaHound
01-11-2001, 05:02 AM
The Watcher, and actually Unbearable (Unbreakable) are not HORROR films, so to speak. They are suspense/thriller genre, and I can't really say, in this forum anyway, that I had those in mind when I made this thread. I really want reaction to all the stupid horror films out there in hollyshitwood. http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

Oogie Boogie
01-16-2001, 09:12 PM
Have to agree with trauma hound. These 2 movies were absolute shit. if they keep popping out this junk at the theatres then we could see a relapse in horror.
Bless the child gets a special edition? is it even worth releaseing to dvd?
I hope drac2000 gets knocked into obscurity. leaves room for real horror films like return of the lving dead and ALL the argento titles.

------------------
"Angel to some, demon to others"

Chucky P
02-01-2001, 03:51 AM
This isn't horror either but I would have to go with Dancer in The Dark. That movie was so depressing it made Schindler's List look like Singing in The Rain! http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Chucky P (edited 01-31-2001).]

Surge92
02-01-2001, 04:56 AM
I don't see what was so bad about "Unbreakable". I thought it was a very good film; not as great as "The 6th Sense" but still quite good. Like someone else said earlier, it's not a horror film and perhaps this why some people found it disappointing. As the suspense thriller that it is, I thought it worked excellent. I personally hate just about all of the mainstream, trendy "horror" crap that Hollywood's been putting out the past few years. There's no way I'd be caught watching "Urban Legend 2", or any of the "Scream" films, etc. Now those are loathsome movies in my opinion. Needless to say, I've saved myself some money and pain this past year.

------------------
"I could easily kill you now, but I'm determined to have your brain!"

--- Dr. Abrero in "Dr. Butcher M.D."

napalm68
02-01-2001, 07:13 AM
Surge92 - Unbreakable not as good as Sixth Sense? - that must put is somewhere just above The Postman and below Exorcist 2... http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

I didn't think anything of Sixth Sense - a poor rip off of Jacob's Ladder, a much superior film IMHO...

------------------
Oh no, mother! Blood!

The Chaostar
02-01-2001, 07:07 PM
Just saw Unbreakable for the 4th time ina cinema and I believe it is a real masterpiece. Sure, it ain't for multiplex' and it aint a traditional blockbuster. Maybe it is too thought-provoking for it's own good. I have been watching horror movies for more than 20 years and I beliebe that this M.Night is the best thing that has ever happened in "fantastique" cinema the last 10 years. Period.

Rock
02-01-2001, 10:48 PM
I saw UNBREAKABLE over the Xmas break and while I don't think it's a masterpiece (it was way too slow, and the "surprise" ending fell flat to me), I still found it unpredictable and involving. I give it a hesitant thumbs-up.

SCARY MOVIE? Now THAT sucked! Even though I laughed out loud a couple of times, I'm damn glad I didn't pay to see it...

DeepDownTraumaHound
02-02-2001, 03:16 AM
I must reply to what the Chaostar has quoted. Just a nice, simple beg to differ, that's all. It was far from a masterpiece. The movie is sorely hanging on to the 6th sense and it's success, and for that I can't blame it. But the film was over done with silly camera moves, unbelievable plot "twists", I mean the guy never remembered if he got sick? And why did Samuel Jackson's character do what he did just to find 1 guy he THOUGHT exsisted? that was poorly conceived. I feel the film was shot out too quickly in order to follow 6th sense before it was forgotten. The whole triumphant music scene in the rain was mighty poor too. Was it predictable? well, I honestly knew what was going to happen about midway through the film. and what a let down it was when it all came together so poorly.
Nothing personal mind you. just my thoughts.

------------------