PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Hellraiser?

rhett
12-23-2008, 12:50 PM
With the 20th anniversary of HELLBOUND: HELLRAISER II upon us (and a subsequent special edition DVD release from Anchor Bay), let's look back at this classic Clive Barker creation. The series has been run into the ground courtesy of Disney, but there's bound to be some diamonds in the rough, right? Which is your favorite Hellraiser entry?

Cujo108
12-23-2008, 01:10 PM
Hellbound. It expands the backstory to fascinating effect, and I'm a big fan of the Dr. Channard character. I really enjoy them all up through Hellseeker, Bloodline to a lesser extent. Despite that, I just can't work up the desire to see the last two.

KR~!
12-23-2008, 02:44 PM
I loved the 1st two films, the 3rd film had some cool scenes in it but also wasn't as good as the 1st two. The series went straight to the toilet after that, getting worst and worst.

addicted2dvd
12-23-2008, 03:08 PM
I enjoyed the first 3 films.. but none of them beat the first one.

MorallySound
12-23-2008, 03:24 PM
Hellbound is my favorite.

Here's the order I'd rate them in from best to worst:
Hellbound: Hellraiser II
Hellraiser
Hellraiser: Inferno
Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth
Hellraiser: Bloodline

And the last 3 films just plain suck, so they are all equal at the very bottom.

Mutilated Prey
12-23-2008, 03:27 PM
Hellbound for me. I really like the first one, but the whackiness of the other side in Hellbound is pretty cool. All the bloody chicks gettin' all sensual under the sheets in the beds :eek:

Mok
12-23-2008, 03:33 PM
Fuck it, I'm going Hell on Earth. It's got the most Pinhead in it and that cigarette smoking cenobite was a hotty.

maybrick
12-23-2008, 04:53 PM
They were all watchable up until whichever one had somebody dressed up in a Cenobite outfit to scare a girl and the girl just brushes it off as "Cenobites aren't real, you know". (Hellworld I think? Maybe it was Deader) I chucked the disc into the trash at that point because when Hellraiser becomes self-referential, the series has officially jumped the shark.

I chose Hellbound as the best.

edit: Must be Hellworld I was talking about. I just remembered the CDR a friend burned for me of Deader wouldn't play so I've never actually seen that one.

Myron Breck
12-23-2008, 05:05 PM
I love the 1st two (not a very original opinion, I know) but went with HELLBOUND as well. There's just something about that one that is even more dark and hopeless than the first one. However, I found entertainment value in all of the latter entires that I saw (haven't seen HELLWORLD yet but Maybrick may have just challenged me).

Then again, I also found enjoyment in those awful CHILDREN OF THE CORN sequels (minus REVELATIONS which was too bad even for me) so what do I know??? :p

zompirejoe
12-23-2008, 05:19 PM
Hellraiser was the best for me. I think Hellbound is a great sequel, and pretty close to the original. It's just that when Hellraiser came out, there was nothing like it out there at all.Very cool movie. Clive barker is a very good director, and it's a shame he hasn't directed since Lord of Illusions.Tony Randel did a great job with Hellbound as well (I also love his film Ticks). The first four were good, but after that I think they are all shit.

onebyone
12-23-2008, 05:46 PM
The first is my favorite, the second close behind, for many reasons, one being that I just love the character of Julia Cotton.

_pi_
12-23-2008, 06:36 PM
Hellbound for me, then Hellraiser. I watched all the sequels a few months ago and the only ones I remember are Bloodline, which was fairly OK, and Hellworld, which seemed like a routine slasher film with some Hellraiser stuff in it. I actually enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. It's not as bad as the stuff in between, at least.

j tea
12-23-2008, 06:44 PM
ive only seen the first three and i would rate them in the order they were released. however! i think i might almost rate the first two together, i see them as a suite. having read rhett's review i wouldnt disagree with his thoughts on the shortcomings of part two, but when considered as a second act to part one and watched all the way through, i think the descent into the de chirico surrealism of the second part is more of a continuous thread from the bizarre and disjointed finale of the first outing.

Fistfuck
12-23-2008, 06:49 PM
The second film is better conceptually, but the first film is so masterfully and elegantly put together that it gets my vote.

Angelman
12-23-2008, 07:51 PM
The original. When it came out it just felt so fresh.

walkingdude
12-23-2008, 09:53 PM
Part 3 is the only one I really like.

KamuiX
12-23-2008, 11:17 PM
The original gets the nod from me, although Hellbound is a close second.

Hell on Earth is a piece of shit as far as I'm concerned...and fuck the haters, Bloodlines and Inferno are good. Everything after though... :nervous:

DVD-fanatic-9
12-23-2008, 11:17 PM
Part 3 is the only one I really like.
I also have a fondness for Hell on Earth. It's not great. But it's stylish, fast paced, loud, and generally very fun. At least it's better than Wishmaster. Now there's a piece of shit!

Harry Warden
12-23-2008, 11:38 PM
The first Hellraiser is the best!

BrokeNads
12-23-2008, 11:43 PM
I like part 2. Also I want to tell a question about Hellraiser 3. Is come to dvd in good edition because I have in fullscreen and is look like garbage greese and is say Hellraiser 3 special edition and is full screen and is nothing extras so is strange to say is special edition. Is not the best movie but I buy if I find widescreen for good price.

Katatonia
12-24-2008, 01:02 AM
Hellraiser and Hellbound: Hellraiser II are both among my favorite films, period. It's a hard choice to choose between them, but there's something about Hellbound that makes me choose it by a millionth of 1 percent.

Zombie Dude
12-24-2008, 01:59 AM
I voted Hellraiser, though I do agree that the sequel is just as good. Hellraiser has more of a mystery to it I think.
I know Hellbound had some rushed script re-writes (which is why there are a few plot holes), but it still managed to hold up and be an interesting exploration into the hellish world of the Cenobites.

Mark Relford
12-24-2008, 04:59 AM
I enjoyed the first 3 films.. but none of them beat the first one.

Agreed.
It's nice to see some Hell on Earth love. It's a fun sequel. I fell asleep on Hellworld. Never gave it a second chance.

Noto
12-24-2008, 06:01 AM
"Deader" has got to be the most worser subtitle in film history.

Erick H.
12-24-2008, 08:16 AM
The original,it's the most cohesive entry in my opinion and it established the template.Great score.

Zombie Dude
12-24-2008, 02:33 PM
"Deader" has got to be the most worser subtitle in film history.

Agreed, though the film itself is one of the better DTV sequels in the franchise.

fceurich39
12-24-2008, 06:51 PM
Agreed.
It's nice to see some Hell on Earth love. It's a fun sequel. I fell asleep on Hellworld. Never gave it a second chance.

same here but hellworld for me ranks number 5

Mitbox
12-25-2008, 01:17 AM
Number 1. Its beautiful. Hellbound has more flaws but I still think its great and in fact these two movies are among my fav. of all time and they got me started in horror back in the good ol' days of VHS (I used to rent them both at the same time every 3 years or so).
I still kinda enjoy part 3 and IV totally jumped the shark (is that a valid term for movies, or just applies to tv shows?) going to space. Part 5 was a nice try to go back to the darkness of the cenobites' world, I thought it was decent and you can tell the people envolved in the making wanted to be respectful and return a serious tone to the franchise. The other ones, I havent seen them yet, and being honest i'm a little afraid they might suck too much, so i wont see them.

To brokenads: I think there's a widescreen version of 3 available, is R1 from Paramount. There are other widescreens but their aspect ratio is not right, they're open matte and cropped to 1.78:1 (the original AR is 1.85:1).

DrHerbertWest
12-25-2008, 03:32 AM
Hellbound is an easy pick for me but the original is amazing.

dave13
12-25-2008, 04:44 AM
after the cinematic tea-bagging i received from hellraiser: inferno, i resolved to have nothing more to do with the ongoing entries. i haven't seen any of the last three. but aren't they all following the same ass-tastic template of inferno? some dick/cunt goes through life being shitty to everyone and sees slightly twisted shit going on around them until at the end pinhead shows up to wax poetic and they realize that when they took out the garbage at the beginning of the film they accidentally slipped on a banana peal and they've actually been dead the whole time...bum-bum-buuuuuum.

oh. and hellraiser rocks my world.

indiephantom
12-25-2008, 06:45 AM
I enjoy most of the series, but I'll give this to Hellbound.

Zombie Dude
12-26-2008, 12:41 AM
To brokenads: I think there's a widescreen version of 3 available, is R1 from Paramount. There are other widescreens but their aspect ratio is not right, they're open matte and cropped to 1.78:1 (the original AR is 1.85:1).

There's a region 2 one from Anchor Bay which is in widescreen and uncut.

Gore Lunatic
12-26-2008, 08:25 AM
Hellraiser by a hair over Hellbound.

vampyr789
12-26-2008, 08:29 AM
yeah i feel that i am missing out, i have only seen part 5...wow that is sad
i didnt like it too much either
i have been wanting to see part 1 for a while now. i need to get down on over to my local Blockbuster.

Zombie Dude
12-26-2008, 09:19 AM
i have been wanting to see part 1 for a while now. i need to get down on over to my local Blockbuster.

The first couple are the best, so yes you are indeed missing out.

Katatonia
12-26-2008, 09:25 AM

If you've only seen part 5, then you're indeed missing out. Watch them in order from 1-4. Part 5 really doesn't even have much to do with the Hellraiser mythos so to speak. It's perfectly understandable why you didn't like that one much.

vampyr789
12-26-2008, 02:32 PM
The first couple are the best, so yes you are indeed missing out.

If you've only seen part 5, then you're indeed missing out.

lol, i thought so. i'm gonna use the Blockbuster gift card and go rent it. (or should i buy it?? last i saw there were a lot left at my local Best Buy)

Katatonia
12-26-2008, 07:32 PM
lol, i thought so. i'm gonna use the Blockbuster gift card and go rent it. (or should i buy it?? last i saw there were a lot left at my local Best Buy)

I'd buy it. :evil:

Zombie Dude
12-27-2008, 12:17 AM

If you like a fairly solid gore more then buy it. If your not sure then give it a rent. Personally I think the first two should be in every horror fans collection.

shithead
12-27-2008, 01:38 AM
The first two are really good. I haven't seen the last 3, but all the others suck IMO.

First is my favorite.

satans-sadists
12-29-2008, 06:32 PM
The first film is my favorite. Lost interest in the series and haven't seen anything past Hellraiser: Bloodline.

vampyr789
12-29-2008, 08:52 PM
If you like a fairly solid gore more then buy it. If your not sure then give it a rent. Personally I think the first two should be in every horror fans collection.

I'd buy it. :evil:

okay i'll buy the first one. then the second later.
they have a whole stack of the first one at Best Buy, so im in luck!!

Zombie Dude
12-30-2008, 05:40 AM
okay i'll buy the first one. then the second later.
they have a whole stack of the first one at Best Buy, so im in luck!!

Nice. Hellraiser's great. I'll have to watch it again soon.

thrashard76
12-31-2008, 05:38 AM

Uncle Jay
01-04-2009, 02:38 AM
I went with the first one, although it's a tie with the second one!

I enjoyed the first four movies (which were all theatrical) very much, though it is clear that after II it loses quality...and I think Bloodline gets an undeserved bad rep. I rather enjoyed the sci-fi setting of it and the story wasn't altogether terrible (certainly better than most of the ones that followed).

-UJ

Zombie Dude
01-04-2009, 06:51 AM
I enjoyed the first four movies (which were all theatrical) very much, though it is clear that after II it loses quality...and I think Bloodline gets an undeserved bad rep. I rather enjoyed the sci-fi setting of it and the story wasn't altogether terrible (certainly better than most of the ones that followed).

-UJ

A lot of Bloodlines bad rep comes from how badly it was cut. I've read the original script and decided to watch the film again after it. It really has been butchered and should have been a much better film.

maskull
01-10-2009, 04:52 AM
I've seen them all but don't really remember any of the ones after Bloodline (though I do recall that I liked one of them). Honestly Bloodline is the one I've watched the most so it's probably my favourite. I like the story of the toy maker and the sci-fi angle as well.

Part one was pretty damn awesome, part 2 I just re-watched and thought the ending was garbage, and I always had a place in my heart for #3 (partially because of Paula Marshall being in it).

But yeah, Bloodline gets my vote.

Egg_Shen
01-11-2009, 02:12 AM
I recently watched this series. Well, some of them. They get pretty bad. The original is definitely the best to me. It leaves a good many unanswered questions, but like Rhett said the underlying themes really help the picture work. When they start trying to explain stuff in the sequels things turn sour because they never really made much sense to begin with. And when there are cinobites shooting compact discs out of their heads you can pretty much figure things have gone way south of the border.

vampyr789
01-13-2009, 03:42 AM
omg!!! i just bought Hellraiser!!!!! im gonna watch here in a minute!!! :banana:

vampyr789
01-14-2009, 04:05 AM
Holy shit!!! Hellraiser effin ROCKED!!!! now i consider one of my fave horror films!!! i loved it!!! i watched it twice last night!!! it was awesome!! :banana:

Spit
01-14-2009, 04:59 AM
Da first one!

The second one had some cool parts but the story was kinda meh. After that they all kinda melt together in my head. The third one had some good cenobites in it, but still meh.

Bloodline was the one that was half in space and half in the past right? That wasnt bad for being a 4th film...But what the hell can you expect after 3?

Hellseeker was lame...that was the one with the whole cop story background i think.

I think i saw deader once..but it wasnt memorable. I never picked up hellworld. Is it worth watching?

mcchrist
01-14-2009, 06:39 PM
Well, I watched the last two sequels the past couple of nights. Hellworld was horrible, completely pointless. Deader was much better, but it seems like the whole "Hellraiser" thing became an afterthought after Inferno. Plus, who gives a fuck about Pinhead anymore? If I were Doug Bradley, I'd be a fucking lushed out alcoholic too if that's all I had to offer the world.

My vote, as always, goes to Hellbound. If you want a rank:

Hellraiser
Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth
Hellraiser: Inferno
Hellraiser: Bloodline
Hellraiser: Hellseeker
Hellraiser: Deader
Hellriaser: Hellworld

Katatonia
01-15-2009, 01:36 AM
Holy shit!!! Hellraiser effin ROCKED!!!! now i consider one of my fave horror films!!! i loved it!!! i watched it twice last night!!! it was awesome!! :banana:

Welcome to the club. :evil: I still own about 5 different editions of it on VHS/DVD.

Now, go see Hellbound!

vampyr789
01-15-2009, 04:16 AM
Welcome to the club. :evil: I still own about 5 different editions of it on VHS/DVD.

Now, go see Hellbound!

im buying that next!! :D im excited...!:)

Vlachio
01-15-2009, 06:15 AM
Hellraiser: Bloodline loved the ending with a passion.

Zombie Dude
01-15-2009, 06:19 AM
Hellraiser: Bloodline loved the ending with a passion.

The original ending is a lot better.

2D4EVER
01-15-2009, 06:24 AM
Yes Hellworld is definitely not worth it. And Pinhead goes out like a punk in the end.

Hellbound is my favorite followed closely by the original.

Vlachio
01-15-2009, 06:29 AM
The original ending is a lot better.

What? :confused:

Zombie Dude
01-15-2009, 06:47 AM
What? :confused:

Due to all the problems that happened with this film (such as a director leaving because the studio wanted to see Pinhead enter the story earlier) the original cut was never properly filmed. You can find an alternate cut online which seems to be the most complete version on what the original script intended.

Anyway, I'm not sure if this ending was filmed or if I read it in the script but IMO it was a lot better.

Spoiler
The whole end sequence is slightly different, but after the ship explodes everything goes to black and it goes back to the start, suggesting time is repeating itself and hell can never truly be destroyed.

Vlachio
01-15-2009, 06:51 AM
Due to all the problems that happened with this film (such as a director leaving because the studio wanted to see Pinhead enter the story earlier) the original cut was never properly filmed. You can find an alternate cut online which seems to be the most complete version on what the original script intended.

Anyway, I'm not sure if this ending was filmed or if I read it in the script but IMO it was a lot better.

The whole end sequence is slightly different, but after the ship explodes everything goes to black and it goes back to the start, suggesting time is repeating itself and hell can never truly be destroyed.

Oh fook that I hate endings like that. I'll take the current ending thank you maam! :D

Zombie Dude
01-15-2009, 06:53 AM
Oh fook that I hate endings like that. I'll take the current ending thank you maam! :D

I thought it was interesting and would have put a nice twist of the movie. If you know how the original cut was meant to play out and then re-watch the film the way it is now you'll see how messed up it is.

Shlockjock81
01-15-2009, 06:55 AM
First one is by far my fav. I do enjoy the second one. The rest of them can be burned and have their ashes scattered to the four winds for all I care. LOL sorry if I upset anyone.

Vlachio
01-15-2009, 07:01 AM
I thought it was interesting and would have put a nice twist of the movie. If you know how the original cut was meant to play out and then re-watch the film the way it is now you'll see how messed up it is.

No fuck that I hate films with those types of ending. IT WAS ALL A DREAM YES A DREAM! :fuck:

Zombie Dude
01-15-2009, 07:05 AM
No fuck that I hate films with those types of ending. IT WAS ALL A DREAM YES A DREAM! :fuck:

I think the ending on the actual shooting script was that he dies on the ship too. That ending was shot and is in the alt version. The intention was to have the story start in the 18th century, then move on to present day, then future.

Vlachio
01-15-2009, 07:09 AM
I think the ending on the actual shooting script was that he dies on the ship too. That ending was shot and is in the alt version. The intention was to have the story start in the 18th century, then move on to present day, then future.

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/DeadHorse.gif

Zombie Dude
01-15-2009, 07:34 AM

Suit yourself.:rolleyes:

Vlachio
01-15-2009, 07:38 AM
Suit yourself.:rolleyes:

Oh oh oh! :nervous:

Zombie Dude
01-15-2009, 07:40 AM
Oh oh oh! :nervous:

*gives evil*

mlock
01-15-2009, 03:09 PM
The original is, of course, a classic, and I thoroughly enjoyed Part II as well. I would like to see Bloodline in it's full version one day, but liked it a lot more than all the subsequent sequels! I just hope the transfer on the blu ray for Part I will be a worthwhile upgrade from my ltd ed tin set.

mcchrist
01-16-2009, 04:55 AM

Pretty much sums up Bloodline as it is. :p

JamesBond007
01-19-2009, 04:27 AM
The first two were great, the third one is very good, and the rest of them after that totally sucked. Kind of like what happend to Superman series (personal opinion wise).

Top favorites
1. Hellbound: Hellraiser II
2. Hellraiser
3. Hellraiser III: Hell On Earth

Novosibirsk
04-13-2009, 08:59 AM
Ugh....I hate to be a troll about this, but I just watched Helllraiser II, and I have to say it was such utter nonsense.

It seems so hurriedly stitched together.

Zombie Dude
04-13-2009, 04:06 PM
Ugh....I hate to be a troll about this, but I just watched Helllraiser II, and I have to say it was such utter nonsense.

It seems so hurriedly stitched together.

It went through a lot of last minute re-writes as they couldn't get actors that they had expected they would (basically Andrew Robinson).

fattyjoe37
06-08-2012, 12:42 AM
The first is the only one I'd consider a good movie. After that they are either shades of mediocre or bad.

Anthropophagus
06-08-2012, 02:12 AM
The first is the only one I'd consider a good movie. After that they are either shades of mediocre or bad.

I was going to write something to the same effect, you beat me to it.

dave13
06-08-2012, 04:30 AM
Hellbound might not be quite the worthy successor its sometimes touted as, but damn if it isn't just a whole lot of fun. I understand taking it to task when compared to the first, but as its own film, I'm still a big fan.

Katatonia
06-08-2012, 05:00 AM
Hellbound might not be quite the worthy successor its sometimes touted as, but damn if it isn't just a whole lot of fun. I understand taking it to task when compared to the first, but as its own film, I'm still a big fan.

Agreed, and the first two Hellraiser films are among my favorite films of all time actually. And I don't make any apologies for that proclamation. I just love the overall atmosphere, music, etc.

JGrendel
06-08-2012, 10:25 AM
I know alot of people don't like 3 but I do & wish someone would bring it out on blu.

Body Boy
06-08-2012, 10:29 AM
I also deeply enjoy Part III. I've seen 1-6 and the only one I didn't care for was Hellseeker. Scared to see the final three, haha.

deepred
06-08-2012, 05:11 PM
I enjoyed the first two and the third one was pretty terrible but it's still a lot of fun imo. I don't remember much about 4. I do remember enjoying 5 but went into it with low expectations as it was DTV. I hated part 6 and thought it was such a weak way to bring back Ashley Laurence. I have zero interest in any of the others that followed.

I would like to re-evaluate 4 and 5 - maybe I will get the echo bridge blu-ray. Disappointing from what I've read that echo bridge's part 3 is still a poor transfer that is fullscreen.

DVD-fanatic-9
06-10-2012, 10:37 PM
Hellbound might not be quite the worthy successor its sometimes touted as, but damn if it isn't just a whole lot of fun.
I didn't have a lot of fun. It made me so mad, I just about screamed at the computer screen (I watched it on Netflix). "Not quite the worthy" successor? I doubt I looked too deeply into it. It really was an offensively stupid, insultingly awful film. That people really just like for the gore, music, and... the performances? I admit Clare Higgins was definitely a little fun here. But if it weren't for her, this would pretty much be one of the absolute worst sequels ever made. And, yeah, I've seen A LOT of sequels (just as most of us have).

Body Boy
06-10-2012, 11:00 PM
But if it weren't for her, this would pretty much be one of the absolute worst sequels ever made.

Lol, what?

Zombie Dude
06-11-2012, 03:35 AM
Lol, what?

I second that :lol:

Undeadcow
06-11-2012, 07:43 AM
Inferno has been a guilty pleasure of mine; I enjoy the surreal psychological bend it has. Although I admit it was the beginning of the end when the studios just started inserting Pinhead into unrelated spare scripts and calling them "Hellraiser." I'd love to see the alternative cut of Bloodline because that had some potential.

DVD-fanatic-9
08-13-2012, 09:03 PM
Lol, what?
I'm being harsher on Hellbound because nobody with their wits about them expects a good movie (nor thinks they saw one after it's over) from the likes of Wrong Turn 2, 3, 4, Saw II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, Remake part anything, Descent 2, Human Centipede II, Hostel II, Tremors III, IV, Hellraiser V, VI, VII, VIII, need I say more?

ThisEvilBastard
08-15-2012, 01:24 AM
I love the Hellraiser series Besides Part 8