PDA

View Full Version : Track Movies, Win Prizes

rhett
12-31-2008, 01:13 PM
Well, it's New Year's Eve, and other than watching NEW YEAR'S EVIL, it means gearing up for another year. Of Movie watching. For the past five years now, HORROR DIGITAL members have been tracking their movie watching habits on our forum, and for our sixth I thought it would be nice to give back to all the folks kind enough to share their tastes with us on a (semi-)daily basis. So at the end of this year (That's 2009), I'll give away some selected, to be announced, DVDs to those who make it through the full year.

That's right, no stopping in February, June or October...you've got to make it all the way. So at this time next year, for anyone who's still actively tracking their movies on the site, I'll put those names in a draw and give away a few prizes. Consider this just another little incentive to get us taking in more culture and watching more movies!

So what do you need to do? Just reserve a spot in this year's thread (http://horrordigital.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?threadid=38100), and then fire up that DVD player on a regular basis and you could come home with some cool loot to watch in 2010.

Happy New Year!

Zombie Dude
12-31-2008, 01:44 PM
Sounds sweet. Do we count movie we see on tv?

rhett
12-31-2008, 01:56 PM
You can count video game cut scenes if you'd like - it's all up to you!

Zombie Dude
12-31-2008, 01:59 PM

Wow, it's pretty broad then. So do we have to cover something everyday, week or month to get into the draw?

Workshed
12-31-2008, 05:41 PM
Zombie Dude, I think it's simply a matter of continuing to track the films you watch throughout the year.

Take a look at previous years' threads and you can see what Rhett means. Some posters simply drop off or forget to track and never pick it back up.

Fun idea, Rhett.

YottNik
12-31-2008, 05:46 PM
Hell, I sometimes put Scooby-Doo episodes in my posts so I'm guessing anything goes.

HAEMORRHAGE
12-31-2008, 05:58 PM
Well, I just started tracking movies I've watched on my DVDAF account, might as well do it here as well.

Cardiac Tom
12-31-2008, 06:45 PM
I've always wanted to do this on some of the other sites I'm on, but never bothered...This will be the first and am looking forward to tracking everything...

bigdaddyhorse
12-31-2008, 06:55 PM

Over the last 4 years I haven't bothered to list most TV shows. If I'm watching tv on dvd I'll count each disc when done. Movies on cable are usually listed. Have fun with and create a system to tag them that makes others wonder what the fuck you're up to. I've only shared my secret code with a few friends, the rest of you can try to figure it out.:D

I love the threads, although I rarely read what others are watching and use it more as a tool for myself to see when the last time I watched something was, or what movie did I sneak into when I paid for X.

Do I get 5 entries for making it through the last 4 years plus the up-coming one?;)

rhett
12-31-2008, 07:13 PM
Wow, it's pretty broad then. So do we have to cover something everyday, week or month to get into the draw?
No, there's no "minimum". I mean, if you only watch five movies over the course of the year and log them, cool. More often than not, though, people start strong in January and then just sort of lose interest, so we get a lot of dead posts. Not this year though! New Year's Resolution: For everyone to track their movies for the entire year.

addicted2dvd
12-31-2008, 07:17 PM
This is my first time doing this here. I was wondering if it was only horror movies we were to track... but apparently not going by this thread. :)

zompirejoe
12-31-2008, 07:22 PM
Reserved

rhett
12-31-2008, 07:25 PM
Reserved
No no no, not here. Here! (http://horrordigital.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?threadid=38100) :)

Workshed
12-31-2008, 07:46 PM
this post reserved for when I think of something funny to type.

Mitbox
12-31-2008, 10:23 PM
This sounds fun, I "track" my movies by rating them on IMDB. I guess now I'll double track 'em.

bwana the clown
12-31-2008, 11:36 PM
Yeah, I'm totally up for another year!

How 'bout making the 2009 thread a sticky?

Zombie Dude
12-31-2008, 11:44 PM
Zombie Dude, I think it's simply a matter of continuing to track the films you watch throughout the year.

Take a look at previous years' threads and you can see what Rhett means. Some posters simply drop off or forget to track and never pick it back up.

Fun idea, Rhett.
Thanks for the help. :)
No, there's no "minimum". I mean, if you only watch five movies over the course of the year and log them, cool. More often than not, though, people start strong in January and then just sort of lose interest, so we get a lot of dead posts. Not this year though! New Year's Resolution: For everyone to track their movies for the entire year.
Good to know, though I'm sure I'll be seeing over five movies this year.
Over the last 4 years I haven't bothered to list most TV shows. If I'm watching tv on dvd I'll count each disc when done. Movies on cable are usually listed. Have fun with and create a system to tag them that makes others wonder what the fuck you're up to. I've only shared my secret code with a few friends, the rest of you can try to figure it out.:D

I love the threads, although I rarely read what others are watching and use it more as a tool for myself to see when the last time I watched something was, or what movie did I sneak into when I paid for X.

Do I get 5 entries for making it through the last 4 years plus the up-coming one?;)
Tv is probably going to be the hardest thing to track. I'll see how I go.

rhett
12-31-2008, 11:46 PM
Yeah, I'm totally up for another year!

How 'bout making the 2009 thread a sticky?
Will do come new years. I thought I'd leave it as a regular thread for now so it would stand out more than the sticky would for all the new trackers out there.

CrazyFatEthel
01-01-2009, 04:13 AM
:confused:
I'm really confused because I havent ever done something like this. Can someone please explain? So you're supposed to track all of the movies you watch, but how do you know if they're lying or not???

Zombie Dude
01-01-2009, 04:16 AM
:confused:
I'm really confused because I havent ever done something like this. Can someone please explain? So you're supposed to track all of the movies you watch, but how do you know if they're lying or not???

It doesn't matter because it's not about who watches the most. If you constantly keep track of all the movies you watch throughout the year then you are entered into the draw for prizes.

CrazyFatEthel
01-01-2009, 04:23 AM
It doesn't matter because it's not about who watches the most. If you constantly keep track of all the movies you watch throughout the year then you are entered into the draw for prizes.

Oh, ok, sorry I havent ever done one of these things before!So thanks for letting me know. I'll probably pop in a movie in a few hours just to get a head start!!!:lol:

Zombie Dude
01-01-2009, 04:41 AM
Oh, ok, sorry I havent ever done one of these things before!So thanks for letting me know. I'll probably pop in a movie in a few hours just to get a head start!!!:lol:

This is my first time doing this too. I might watch something tonight.:cool:

DrHerbertWest
01-01-2009, 05:47 AM
What happens if we don't watch movies in a certain month? For example: I tracked all films I watched through November, then didn't watch a single one in December. Since I didn't update/edit my reserved post, does that disqualify us?

rhett
01-01-2009, 07:39 AM
What happens if we don't watch movies in a certain month? For example: I tracked all films I watched through November, then didn't watch a single one in December. Since I didn't update/edit my reserved post, does that disqualify us?
No, not at all. Ultimately it's your word, we're not the police or anything. So if someone posts a flick January 1st and then not one for the rest of the year, arguing that it was the only film s/he watched, then the benefit of the doubt is theirs. This is just a little fun incentive to keep track of your favorite hobby!

Damage
01-01-2009, 04:09 PM
This is great! Thanks Rhett!

indiephantom
01-01-2009, 06:02 PM
as I mentioned in the other thread, I've failed to keep this up about 3 times now. Hopefully this will be the year I manage to do it. It really is useful when you get to the end of the year trying to pick your favorites. But then again, how the fuck would I know?

KamuiX
01-01-2009, 08:01 PM
Cool idea to keep people interested in the thread!! Seems like there's only a handful of us left still doing it at the end of the year each time.

Shannafey
01-02-2009, 07:18 PM
Always wanted to do it. This should give me some incentive!

Spit
09-25-2009, 11:17 PM
Does anyone else have the personal goal of reaching 365 or more films viewed this year? For awhile I was thinking I was going to but now, with school being crazy I don't think I'm gonna make it.

X-human
09-26-2009, 12:05 AM
I try to watch a movie a day, but that's not always possible and I've only watched 163 movies so far this year. I'm not about to watch 200 over the next three months. :D

I have reached an even better mark though, I watched more DVDs this month then I bought.

msw7
09-26-2009, 01:41 AM
Does anyone else have the personal goal of reaching 365 or more films viewed this year? For awhile I was thinking I was going to but now, with school being crazy I don't think I'm gonna make it.

I'd just be happy if I watch enough to justify all the DVDs I own. So far I'm not sure. I have definitely watched more new-to-me movies than repeats, so my DVD collection is mostly sitting on the shelf and expanding as I add new titles I hadn't seen yet (though netflix is also playing a part).

MorallySound
09-26-2009, 01:45 AM

I should easily make that goal seeing as there are still 3 and a bit months left in the year, and I'm already at around 250 movies and 4 TV seasons so far...

Workshed
09-26-2009, 03:34 AM
I'm already down this year from last, I think. But I love tracking my films, and I know October is going to be a big month for watching. I'm impressed that 365 is even a possibility for some of you.

Suicide
09-26-2009, 04:13 AM
I usually top out at like 200-240. Like once or twice a year I'll just go through like 3-4 weeks where I don't watch anything. I'm going through that right now actually, I've watched like 2 movies this month. I guess I wear myself out, otherwise I'd probably get pretty close.

Mutilated Prey
09-26-2009, 04:39 AM
I'm at about 140 now, so cracking 200 will be a feat in itself. I wish I had enough free time in the year to watch 365 movies - jeez.

Kolpitz
09-26-2009, 06:11 AM
I'm currently sitting at 323 movies watched this year, so far. I'll crush 365, probably ending up in the low to mid 400s.

spawningblue
09-28-2009, 04:35 PM
I'm at about 140 now, so cracking 200 will be a feat in itself. I wish I had enough free time in the year to watch 365 movies - jeez.

Agreed. I'm going to try and make up for it in October, but just working at the last few months I was lucky to watch 10 movies.

bigdaddyhorse
09-29-2009, 07:29 PM
If I can count, (big if) then I've watched 261 movies so far this year, along with 6-10 TV show sets (Couple Tales from the Crypt, Blade, first 2 discs of Dead Zone, Dukes of Hazzard).
I almost doubt I'll make it to 365 though as it gets tougher this time of year to find time between the GF working, Football, hockey and basketball starting and MLB Playoffs (could still have Tigers there!), not to ention the tons of shows the lady and I watch weekly on cable which don't get counted (good thing most HBO shows are on or close to breaks).

Hard to say, maybe they'll be some deader weekends where we can get some mini-marathons in. At this point in time, I have 13 BD's from the library waiting to be viewed also, plus I keep picking up cheap BD's when I can find them. So hard to limit myself and not grab everything, but things like Saw being the theater cut and many other discs missing extras (Species, Man on Fire, Lord of War, etc.) have kept my collection small for now. When the price drops start I'm gonna be getting a shitload though!