PDA

View Full Version : Grab a Pulse!

rhett
01-02-2009, 07:37 PM
Dimension Extreme strikes again with PULSE 3, the concluding chapter in their trilogy on the deterioration of humanity and emotion in modern society's web of technology. Maybe that's a bit too haughty. It's a movie about wi-fi ghosts sucking souls, watching webcam death videos and jumping off buildings. Since we really care about the future of our computer controlled existence, we want to do you all a service and offer, free of charge, a copy of PULSE 3 to research. It could mean life and death. Consider this a HORROR DIGITAL humanitarian contribution.

http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/n-z/pulse3/pulse3_fronts.jpg

So yes, up for grabs is PULSE 3 on DVD. What do you have to do to get it? Instead of listing a favorite movie like we've been doing lately, let's get deep. Let's talk sociology. Make a post hypothesizing where you think the world will be in 10 years. Will computers take over SkyNet style? Will there be an apocalypse? Will technology make the world a better place? Will people actually use the Segway? Tell us what you think.

This is your chance to dig deep here on HORROR DIGITAL. Change the world. Change yourself.

All people who make a post on where they think the world will be in 10 years will be entered in a random draw to win the coveted DVD of mention. The contest ends a week from today, Friday, January 9th, 2009.

Now let's hear it, what's in store for humanity?

MrKateB
01-02-2009, 07:48 PM
Being ever the optimist (which anyone who has ever bothered to read my posts will already know about me), I am so happy that I'm the first to post to this thread...My happy vision of the future goes something like this:

The people, entities or corporations (bilderburgers? Elites? Gazoo?) who truly control most of what happens politically and economically in the world have finally whittled things down to where they no longer have to lurk in the shadows, and have publically taken control of all forms of communication amongst the little people, have eliminated any aspect of free speech that used to exist on the internet, and have taken away what little rights we had left here in the states.

There are no independent blogs, no community boards which aren't moderated by members of the squads brought in to police our activities, those who still have homes of their own have very little personal ownership and are constantly being taxed and assessed further and further until they have to sign their properties over to the new government, which took control over home loans after bailing out the last of the financial institutions that went belly up over a tanking economy that never got any better ever since a certain Bush took office way back at the start of the new millenium.

Anyone with an income lower than 50K a year has gone bankrupt and are now working in government work camps...

some work on "Spy Squad" duty to catch other citizens who are speaking out against the new government regime or are exhibiting signs of trying to organize revolt; some are taken by train to various parts of the country to tend dwindling food crops that continue to produce less and less each following year. Some of these crops are deteriorating due to destruction from increasingly more violent and common weather abnormalities (tornadoes, floods, hail during growing season) and some are disappearing via your basic pestilence (including new species of beetles that eat crops--and human crop workers--at alarming rates, and those pesky weird fly-bee things that nobody seems to know the origin of but sting like hell and cause virulent illness among the majority of those stung)...What food crops there are which are not destroyed by "natural" problems of day-to-day farm livin' are actually tainted and somewhat toxic from the pesticides and chemicals that are necessary to keep them growing, so the rate of birth defects and cancers have increased.

Obviously health care for most of these folks is out, unless they sign up under gov-ment medical care that requires them to be tested on at random whenever new strains of flu are discovered and the controlling classes need vaccines, or the team of cloned clone scientists want to see what happens if you inject urine into an eyeball because they read it somewhere once in a magazine that it could cure clone impotence but don't know how much to inject without exploding the eyeball...Weird experiments like that... Anyway, those who are still able to be seen by doctors who haven't had to sign up with the new goverment medical HMO group end up having to go the experimental route eventually because they can't afford to purchase the prescriptions that the doctors give them, as all prescriptions are now being controlled and dispensed by same said goverment medical HMO group, and most of it is pretty much crap that you could buy over the counter back in the turn of the century and first ten "New Millenium" years. So, basically medical treatment is completely fucked.

As for our animal friends, domestic pets that were our former companions are disappearing and dying off due to drinking polluted water and giardia infested puddles, and most are actually captured and eaten by people who can't afford to purchase non-contaminated beef, pork and poultry. Vegetarians are also disappearing in large numbers, partially due to their alarming suicide rates since they started staging kamikaze protests trying to keep people from eating the little furry critters and other helpless animals roaming about, but also because as they were still managing to grow relatively healthy greens and vegetables in scattered secret community farms, and managing to get their protein from supplies of dried beans and nuts their hippie ancestors stored by the barrelful, they were among the healthier people walking around, and were found to be good eatin' by those who were too slow to catch the occasional stray cats and dogs that would cross their path. Such activities are what begins to bring about an almost "living dead" sort of issue...They're not actually zombies, but there's a growing army of very unhealthy, dirty and diseased people who have cataracts and rotten teeth, who are finding that healthy humans don't taste too bad, and it kills the hunger pain...Anyway, once most of the vegetarians are taken out, the Spy Squads zero in on their community gardens, raid them for existing crops, don't bother to keep them up, and then once they're in danger of being eaten by those who have given over to cannibalism, exterminator squads are brought in to take care of the cannibals...

Pretty much everything ends up being a matter of keeping those who are tied in to the reigning government groups--their families, their closest friends, corporate CEO's, the clones, Pharmaceutical producers--alive and happy, and everyone else is on either a rapid or slow decline into death.

Sometime around 2018 after finishing the construction of a series of bunker-like buildings in still-functioning U.S. states, the U.K., Australia, and a handful of European countries that hadn't been destroyed by volcanic activity or nuclear fallout from the whole Russia-China "thing", FEMA mutated into some weird cult that tried to take over and those who were in high positions within the group all boarded a huge cruise ship for Alaska, claiming that they were all going to impregnate someone or something named Sarrapallen. Sarrapallen had once been a member of the elite but had gone completely insane and now lived nude out on the ice flows, making penguin sculptures out of her own feces. The cruise ship full of FEMA leaders were never heard from again...BUT, their legacy remained as a solemn final fate for those who were still not under the thumb of the new government.

It is discovered that the internal temperature of the earth is getting extremely and exponentially hotter, volcanoes have sprung up or have reawakened that were inactive for centuries, the Pacific NW is nothing but a series of volcanoes, Yellowstone has proven to be a super-volcanoe and is about to erupt, Krakatoa likewise...The New Goverment makes a final attempt to save themselves by funneling themselves into the FEMA bunkers because they were told by the FEMA people before they all went bonkers that people could survive cataclysmic disasters in the bunkers for many years, with food supplies and all sorts of crap stored in each one. They kill any regular-joe types that they come across to avoid having to compete for space, and they all take private planes out to the bunkers far enough away from the volcanoes they know about but essentially totally ignoring the fact that the earth is basically exploding from within...Once they've barricaded themselves inside they then discover that the bunkers were actually concentration camps meant to be used for general population extermination, and there isn't any food there, just cans of gas pellets that don't taste too good

It's just that due to typical red tape and average government dysfunctionality and corruption that didn't get any better when Hillary, Hop-rah and Change showed up on the political scene, FEMA never really got around to using the camps for the original purpose, and then when things started to go askew with the rest of society and they started to discuss the whole Alaska prospect they sort of forgot...The new government and all their cronies basically get fucked in the end, the planet blows up, those who are deserving find some sort of higher reward elsewhere*, and those who were responsible for all the pain and suffering end up melting together into a big lake of fire that is the late, great planet earth....(cue the "zinger" music cue from that 80's Harper Valley P.T.A sitcom, fade out...)

*Higher Reward Elsewhere is not meant to promote or depict any particular religious belief, gender identity, fate, heaven or hell, or any particular form of afterlife existence.

fattyjoe37
01-02-2009, 08:23 PM
I think Segway's will go the way of the dodo and be replaced by the obvious alternative, hoverboards!

YottNik
01-02-2009, 08:39 PM
Call me a pessimist but the world will not be much different in 10 years than it is today. There will be no one world government. War and famine will still be a daily occurrence. Most, if not all, major diseases will still be without a cure. Democrats and Republicans will still be talking about working across the aisle but without really doing it. Prejudice will still be alive and well. And Sleepaway Camp will still be the best horror movie ever made.

CrazyFatEthel
01-02-2009, 09:22 PM
:(:(:(I'm a pessimist, I think that the Us will be gone!!!!:fire::fire::fire:

bigdaddyhorse
01-02-2009, 11:01 PM
It's looking like we're heading directly into the beginning of They Live. Most of my friends are now out of work as they are builders or painters. It's a sick trickle down that is already hitting everyone and I can't see our economy, which is based on lies and imaginary money/value, surviving. I'd like to think that people can survive, but I'm sure many won't want too without all the comforts of the lie.
It's gonna be a fucked up blend of hi-tech cameras watching teh every move of the broken down poor people. By broken down poor, I mean middle-class on down. It's gonna be one fucked up boat for all of us, except the 1% who will live in fear behind huge walls. Resentment's a motherfucker!

DrHerbertWest
01-02-2009, 11:01 PM
Friday The 13th will have a remake of a remake and it will transcend the horror genre forever. Ricky Martin will stage a comeback that lasts for approximately six months. Republicans and Democrats will unite to form the Political Justice League of America and every week, we'll be treated to the top members battling it out "BIF-BANG-POW" style with foreign leaders on NBC.

soxfan666
01-03-2009, 02:40 AM
We will have new video game systems which will lead to another change of format for home movies.

indiephantom
01-03-2009, 06:42 AM
Far more increased interactivity everywhere with portable computers resembling etch 'n sketch pads crossed with PSPs. 3-D television will finally come home to more people. 3-D cell phones (I've seen the prototypes and they're impressive) will be the craze, and Ipod will be gone. Retail stores will offer much more inviting and relaxing environmemts, there will be a return of "the mall" in unexpectedly exciting ways. Everything will continue to become more gay/bi ;(. Horrordvds forum will undergo another facelift and a certain horror icon will reveal himself as a long-time poster. Hopefully I will still not own a cell phone.

rxfiend
01-03-2009, 12:06 PM
I think we all know the world is going to end in 2012. :lol:

marcx
01-04-2009, 01:08 AM
Oblivion...

maybrick
01-04-2009, 01:38 AM
After a nuclear war, society breaks down into two groups, the evil Euraks and the rebel Federation. A mercenary named Parsifal is hired by the Federation to infiltrate New York City, which is controlled by the Euraks, to rescue the only fertile woman left on Earth.
http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/2130/poster2019afterthefallohk0.jpg

Mutilated Prey
01-05-2009, 02:58 AM
The major difference between now and then is that the NFL season will be 19 weeks long. This will put the Super Bowl on Presidents Day weekend giving us all a day off after the game :D

spawningblue
01-05-2009, 05:26 PM
The Cannibalistic Human Underground Dwellers will finally ditch their underground lifestyle, and become a major part of our society. They will face the same prejudice that any non-white race faces but will retaliate with a hit rap single and a reality TV show called "Living with C.H.U.D." hosted by Paris Hilton who's face is deformed more then it presently is after an ugly fan disfigures half of her face with a vat of acid. A cure for cancer will have developed, but it will cost millions, allowing only the rich and distasteful to benefit from it. Michael Jackson will be thawed out from his cryogenic tomb, along with Walt Disney. Together they will create many hit moves with all the voices and music done by Jackson. That's all my psychic abilities will allow me see today, but more may come in after I rest for a few days...

Mitbox
01-06-2009, 02:57 AM
The world is supoused to end in 2012, but I think this end means something that has nothing to do with the earth exploding, flooding, etc. This end means the ET's are finaly coming to earth to make us work for them. So in 10 years from now we'll be working for aliens instead of humans, well, the mayor corporations will be headed by aliens.

onebyone
01-06-2009, 03:11 AM
In ten years, things will be the same as they ever were.

Noto
01-06-2009, 06:02 AM
Milla Jovovich will have slept with me.

Twice.

Also, I will own my own personal hot-air balloon and wear a monocle for no explainable reason other than I think it would be fun to do so.

I might sleep with Milla Jovovich inside the hot-air balloon. I haven't decided yet.

Other than that, I expect most things will be the same. But it will be hard to tell, what with my floating around in a balloon all day.

Tasty Toejam
01-07-2009, 06:25 AM
Now let's hear it, what's in store for humanity?

Pulse 4-9.

Tasty Toejam
01-07-2009, 06:27 AM
The world is supoused to end in 2012

Does this mean we can all just default on our student loans? Sounds good to me.

Rockmjd
01-07-2009, 07:30 AM
Vegetarians are also disappearing in large numbers
Well at least one good thing happens.

Workshed
01-07-2009, 07:54 AM
In ten years, I will not have thought of a funnier scenario than Noto's.

Although I do predict the phrase "That's so Raven!" will become the new hellacool slang for kids everywhere.

thrashard76
01-08-2009, 09:05 AM
I think thrash metal songs of the 80's will be collected onto Time Life's all new Blast From The Thrash 10 Hyper CD set, where they will be found on late night infomercials for sale for a tv only price of just only 5 easy payments of $19.95.

rhett
01-09-2009, 11:19 PM
Thanks for all the great responses. There can only be one winner (a relative term), and this time it is...

bigdaddyhorse

Congrats, my well hung friend. PM me your address and out this shall go.

Workshed
01-09-2009, 11:32 PM
congrats, bro!

Angelman
01-09-2009, 11:37 PM
I think thrash metal songs of the 80's will be collected onto Time Life's all new Blast From The Thrash 10 Hyper CD set, where they will be found on late night infomercials for sale for a tv only price of just only 5 easy payments of $19.95.

That is a future I want to live in.

Tasty Toejam
01-12-2009, 06:25 AM
Thanks for all the great responses. There can only be one winner (a relative term), and this time it is...

bigdaddyhorse

Isn't everyone but BigDaddyHorse the winner? I mean, we don't have to watch Pulse 3.

thrashard76
01-13-2009, 10:52 AM
That is a future I want to live in.;)

Congrats Bigdaddy.

bigdaddyhorse
01-17-2009, 09:15 PM
Isn't everyone but BigDaddyHorse the winner? I mean, we don't have to watch Pulse 3.

Wow, I can't believe I won! Thanks for the congrats all, I'll let everyone know if this movie meets my exacting standards after I rent part 2 and watch both.

Of course everyone's a winner, I just get a new dvd out of the deal.:D

MrKateB
01-30-2009, 08:21 PM
yay for bigdaddyhorse!!! :) I'll "expect" a full review from you BDH---either to tell me how wrong all the "Pulse non-believers" are or to help steer my curiosity away from what is threatening to be some kind of blind buy just to satisfy curiosity.

bigdaddyhorse
02-05-2009, 08:54 PM
So I'm still waiting on this, but I did all my prep work (picked up part 1 used for a couple bucks, rented part 2 for more than that).
The first movie is awesome to me, and I'm shocked that I like it more each time I see it (this is only the second time, but still I loved it). Just a cool premise, actors that aren't too annoying, and a bleak grim tone that plays so nicely.

Within 3 minutes of Pulse 2 in the player, my girlfriernd turns to me and says "this is going to be like Open Water 2, a movie with nothing much to do with the original riding it's title". She was right on, although to be fair they carried a few themes and looking back, it should have been great. It just wasn't. It didn't have any of the vibe of the first film, everything looked like it was shot in front of green screen even though there was nothing crazy going on in the backgrounds. Did they run out of cash to clear a street or a backlot stage? I mean, why super-impose a street background, save that trick for when it's needed. Here it just made the movie feel cheap and fake.
So there was a cool plot to this, which should have been great but just wasn't. This guy has been cheating on his wife, and we start with her trying to find her daughter. The house is full of black ashes, so you know that's not good. Anyway, a cool little twist as she finds her daughter at her aunt's house, and we realize mommy's dead, not the other way around.
The rest is spent following daddy, who finds little girl, and them trying to run from the digital ghost of mommy. I just couldn't get into or stay interested in this, and it really felt like another drama movie just placed into the Pulse universe.
So, part 2 didn't even warrent a dub for future consideration, I'm still holding out hopes part 3 will get back to what made the first good, or at least be a goo play off what was set-up. Part 2 tried a different direction, and it was the wrong way.