PDA

View Full Version : Horror on HDNet!

Dave
01-03-2009, 09:58 AM
Wow! Makes the pain of losing MonstersHD a little easier.

Friday 6 and 7 tonight!

III to VIII air throughout the month!

Howling, NOES, NOESIII.

Missed a few already but am looking forward to VI and VII tonight.

http://www.hd.net/schedulepdfs/hdnetmovies-2009-01.pdf

othervoice1
01-03-2009, 06:14 PM
Great news! I didnt even know about this so glad you posted this!!!

Paff
01-03-2009, 06:31 PM
Yeah, i watched F13 4 last night, and bits of 3 and 5. A little of Nightmare, but that movie has become boring to me. The Howling was my favorite of the night

Dave
01-03-2009, 08:57 PM
Kind of bummed I missed howling but I will survive?

Paff did you go HD?

Dave
01-03-2009, 08:57 PM
Kind of bummed I missed howling but I will survive.

Paff did you go HD?

Paff
01-03-2009, 09:58 PM
Kind of bummed I missed howling but I will survive.

Paff did you go HD?

Yeah, they're so ridiculously cheap now, it was an easy decision. My limited space required a little creativity in placing it. I don't have a Blu-ray player yet, and I think my next purchase will be a scaler to improve the look of my laserdiscs (which took a major nosedive when I got the HDTV)

Dave
01-04-2009, 01:01 AM
Yeah, they're so ridiculously cheap now, it was an easy decision. My limited space required a little creativity in placing it. I don't have a Blu-ray player yet, and I think my next purchase will be a scaler to improve the look of my laserdiscs (which took a major nosedive when I got the HDTV)

I got a tube/crt HDTV - the biggest I could get. That helped a lot in the LD department. Let me know how the scaler works out, though, as I may have to go down that road eventually.

Paff
01-04-2009, 01:43 AM
That was my long time HDTV dilemma, and the primary reason I did not take the plunge. I knew a tube would be the best option (and a friend was offering to sell me his), but there simply was not enough room for a tube HDTV in my place. I knew I could shoehorn a flat panel in much easier (real cool mount I made for it on my entertainment center) but I'd lose LD performance.

As you know, I work for several film festivals. Back in October, I had to upscale an interlaced SD source (Beta and Digibeta deck) into the 1080p projectors at the theater. Some scalers by Gefen did the trick, and quite well. No one would confuse it for HD, but I was able to project full scope (2.35:1) in a theater with an SD source and make it quite watchable.

So I think a scaler will keep my LDs alive. Again, they won't look like HD or even SD DVD, but they're pretty crummy on my plasma as is. I don't blame the TV though, as good analog signal processing would be a waste of technology when almost every source is digital nowadays. But then, most HDTV buyers don't own 500 LDs either....

Dave
01-04-2009, 10:59 AM
Friday 6 looked great. Friday 7 I started to fall asleep. Friday 8 I woke up for some and that too looked great.

I hope this is some sort of an attempt to makeup for the loss of MonstersHD. I added Chiller but that channel blows. I heard they were going to go HD but that seems to have been delayed indefinitely.

Dave
01-04-2009, 09:30 PM
One other question, Paff.

It seemed as if the past if something was on DVD and LD, you would opt for the LD. Is that still the case?

I guess with current releases the decision is made for you (unless it's a catalog title). But if you were to buy The Thing (J/C) today, what format would it be?

I guess you will start to become more like me where LD is more of a hobby. I know you wanted the complete Elite collection; I want the complete Full Moon collection. But I know you have hundreds whereas I am probably at 75 or so right about now, though it's only growing at this point. There are about 15-20 titles I want to ditch but the rest I am keeping.

Paff
01-04-2009, 10:37 PM
One other question, Paff.

It seemed as if the past if something was on DVD and LD, you would opt for the LD. Is that still the case?

Well, it was not ALWAYS the case, Dave. If a movie had a loaded special edition on DVD and a bare bones pan-and-scan LD, I went with DVD. You might be referring to when I sent you back the Millenium edition of Night of the Living Dead, as they're both full-frame transfers and the laser had more special features.

That said, unless the scaler I purchase performs really amazing, I don't see myself buying too many LDs anymore. But I do plan on keeping the format around, rather than dig through my collection and decide which titles I want to replace with DVD. For example, I watched Die Hard last week before I got my HDTV. That one I might re-purchase. But Die Hard With a Vengeance? Not sure. It's a good movie, but I don't know if I feel compelled to purchase it a second time for as often as I watch it. Yet I still want it in my collection. Does that make sense?

Dave
02-13-2009, 10:08 PM
Woot! Friday-a-thon tonight and I may try to stay up for them. I will skip Part III as my son and I want to watch it in 3D, but the little guy should be asleep by the time Part 4 starts.

killit
02-14-2009, 03:29 AM
so this channel is worth getting? I can add it for like five a month, but am unsure if i d watch it enough, i didnt see that much horror in their programing aside from tonight

Paff
02-14-2009, 04:07 AM
No, not a lot of horror on there usually. But then again, 5 bucks a month isn't really that much, is it? Practically the cost of a rental. Watch maybe 2 movies a month and you're even.

Paff
04-18-2009, 08:54 PM
Bumping the thread for tonight's schedule of The Lost Boys, Return of the Living Dead, Donnie Darko, and Tales from the Darkside

This month I've also watched Once Upon a Time in the West and Full Metal Jacket on this channel.

Dave
04-18-2009, 09:37 PM
Ya bastard. I'm missing sox in HD; so much so that I've considered subscribing to the MLB Internet stream for $20/month. But it's far too early in the season for me to be paying any attention. Maybe for the last two months I will do it.

othervoice1
04-18-2009, 09:43 PM
Ill have to dvr return of the living dead in HD - I already own Lost Boys and Donnie Darko on blu-ray (Lost Boys looks awesome on blu-ray btw)

Paff
04-23-2009, 07:28 AM
Don't see a lot of horror coming up, but some of the movies they're showing in May include The Godfather (all three), 12 Monkeys, and The Wild Bunch.

Paff
06-07-2009, 11:49 PM
bumping for this Friday's lineup of Army of Darkness, Donnie Darko, and Creepshow

othervoice1
06-08-2009, 04:37 AM
MGM HD had Motel Hell and Amityville II and III on today- I really enjoyed watching Motel Hell again- its such an odd great little horror/dark comedy flick.