PDA

View Full Version : Import Blu-Ray Info & Deals

Reverenddave
01-15-2009, 01:35 AM
The exchange rate has gotten much better, and there have been some great deals at international stores. So this thread will discuss import discs that are compatible with US players. And good places to buy them cheap.

Here's some stuff I've bought lately:

THE HILLS HAVE EYES - Got the UK blu-ray at BlahDVD for 13.83 shipped (around $20). It plays in my PS3 (including the extras).

LIFE ON MARS: SEASON 1 & 2 - Got both UK blu-rays at BlahDVD for 29.86 shipped (around $44). Plays on my PS3 (extras don't work).

THE TUDORS: SEASON 1 & 2 - Got the UK blu-ray box set at AmazonUK for 29.14 shipped (around $43 - they remove VAT). Plays on my PS3 (including the extras).

ALL THE BOYS LOVE MANDY LANE - Got the UK blu-ray at AmazonUK in the Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale. If you just want this, it's available at BlahDVD for 13.83 shipped (around $20). Plays on my PS3 (extras don't work).

SHROOMS - Got the UK blu-ray at AmazonUK in the Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale. If you just want this, it's available at BlahDVD for 11.49 shipped (around $17). Plays on my PS3 (extras don't work).

I STILL KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER - Got the UK blu-ray at AmazonUK in the Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale. If you just want this, it's available at BlahDVD for 12.91 shipped (around $19). Plays on my PS3 (including the extras).

THIRTEEN GHOSTS - Got the UK blu-ray at AmazonUK in the Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale. If you just want this, it's available at BlahDVD for 11.45 shipped (around $17). Plays on my PS3 (including the extras).

ALMOST FAMOUS - Got the UK blu-ray at AmazonUK in the Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale. If you just want this, it's available at BlahDVD for 10.37 shipped (around $15). Plays on my PS3 (including the extras). This is the 161 minute "Extended Edition".

Katatonia
01-15-2009, 01:41 AM
The Boys from Brazil UK Blu-ray is region-free and looks superb! A million times better than the old letterbox DVD.

I also have these two UK Blu-ray imports on order:

Sophie Scholl - the DVDBeaver review (http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews25/sophie_scholl.htm) forced me to buy this!

Downfall - ditto! (http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews12/downfall-premium.htm)

mlock
01-15-2009, 02:14 PM
Thanks guys! Great to know that my PS3 will play certain import titles including the extras should the need arise.:)

Grim
01-15-2009, 05:32 PM
Nice. I've always been annoyed the second Hills Have Eyes was the only one available on blu. I might have to pick that up now.

Reverenddave
01-21-2009, 06:53 AM
Got some new UK blu-rays:

BLACK SHEEP - Got the UK blu-ray at AmazonUK in the Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale. If you just want this it's 13 shipped (around $18). Plays on my PS3 (extras don't work).

THE FOG (1980) - Got the UK blu-ray at AmazonUK in the Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale. If you just want this, it's available at BlahDVD for 13.95 shipped (around $20). Plays on my PS3 (there are no extras).

Reverenddave
01-21-2009, 07:03 AM
Got one more UK blu-ray:

GUARD POST (aka G.P. 506) - Got the UK blu-ray at BlahDVD for 10.95 shipped (around $15). It plays in my PS3 (extras don't work, except the trailer for Chocolate).

mlock
01-25-2009, 05:09 AM
I read that the transfer on Escape From NY and They Live are both not very good. Too bad! I would have jumped on those!

Katatonia
01-25-2009, 08:56 AM
I read that the transfer on Escape From NY and They Live are both not very good. Too bad! I would have jumped on those!

I've also heard they're both just upconverted DVD transfers, or sourced from really poor transfers.

Uncle Jay
01-27-2009, 08:38 PM
Terminator 2: Judgment Day [Premium Edition] (Japan Import Blu-ray)

Just snagged this, fantastic set! Has both versions of the film, and is Region Free.

http://images.blu-ray.com/htgallery/8199_full.jpg

-UJ

Dave
01-27-2009, 08:54 PM
Where you get T2 and how much?

I have been eyeballing the German HD-DVD import but if the blu is a similar price, I'll bite on it. Can't bring myself to get the domestic one.

Uncle Jay
01-27-2009, 09:10 PM
www.amazon.co.jp

Japan Amazon has them, they're roughly $70 plus shipping.

I got mine through a guy in Canada who ordered 2 by mistake and sold me one for $75 (basically his money back). Great set!

-Jay

Grim
01-28-2009, 04:49 AM
Christ $70? I'll just wait until it gets released here. The theatrical cut blu-ray I got for like 8 bucks will tide me over until then.

Dave
01-28-2009, 06:09 AM
cdjapn has it for $52; not sure on shipping charges.

But for that price I'll skip it and get the German HD-DVD Steelbook import. I can get that for around $30-$35 on ebay.

Grim
01-28-2009, 04:24 PM
Yeah I can basically hold off on a lot of these and wait for them to get released stateside and not spend nearly as much money, unless its like an uncut edition of Kill Bill or something, because with the Weinsteins who knows when that will ever be released.

Matt89
01-28-2009, 04:26 PM
I'm still seriously tempted to grab the UK blu-ray of The Goonies since it has yet to be announced for North America.

~Matt

Grim
01-28-2009, 04:42 PM
I'm still seriously tempted to grab the UK blu-ray of The Goonies since it has yet to be announced for North America.

~Matt

Meh, it's Warner Bros., I'd say hold off. Usually their UK releases are a pretty reliable sign of things to come in the US. The first four Batman films are a perfect example.

spawningblue
01-28-2009, 07:00 PM

~Matt

It's coming this year. Digital Bits I believe mentioned it in their rumour mill, which 99% of the time is right. The Batman films have already been announced, and Goonies and Gremlins are supposed to be announced sometime soon.

Matt89
01-29-2009, 01:18 AM
Meh, it's Warner Bros., I'd say hold off. Usually their UK releases are a pretty reliable sign of things to come in the US. The first four Batman films are a perfect example.

Yeah that's what I keep telling myself everytime I check out Amazon UK. But yeah that's weird. Wonder why they get them first? I caved and bought the DVD of An American in Paris back in September and what do you know? It was just announced a couple weeks ago that it's coming out March 30th on blu-ray. Fuck.

It's coming this year. Digital Bits I believe mentioned it in their rumour mill, which 99% of the time is right. The Batman films have already been announced, and Goonies and Gremlins are supposed to be announced sometime soon.

Sweet. I'm gonna hold off then. Blu-ray.com put up a review of the UK disc and it apparently has really good A/V.

~Matt

Reverenddave
02-09-2009, 12:11 AM
THE COMPANY OF WOLVES is now 11.76 shipped at AmazonUK (about $17.50). Plays in my US PS3.

Dave
02-09-2009, 12:50 PM
Well, looks like I'll be holding off on the T2 HD-DVD as well. Anyone see this:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=2382

I probably would get the 'endo skull edition', as it really is one of my favorite action flicks.

spawningblue
11-16-2012, 11:10 PM
I've been holding off but I think I am finally ready to jump into the import game. I want to stick to region free titles only. It can be pretty confuisng though as some titles are region free but the extras don't work. A lot of Arrow Video titles seem to be like that.

Is there a good site out there that shows whteher a not a title is region free including the extras?

Also, any help on these titles would be great, including whether the extras will play?

Highlander UK
The Thing UK

Basket Case Trilogy UK
Puppet Masters 1-3 UK
Return of the Living Dead UK

Bay of Blood UK
The Beyond UK
City of the Living Dead UK (I don't think the extras on this will work will they?)
Class of Nuke em high UK
Demons 1 and 2 UK
Funhouse UK
House by the Cemetery UK
Inferno UK (Will the extras on the Blu and the DVD play? DVD seems to be region free but PAL)
Lady Snowblood UK
Phenomena UK
Tenebre UK

Feel free to list any other Arrow titles you have and whether they are region free, including the extras as that would be the main reason I'm interested in most of them.

As well, feel free to list any other titles that have better PQ, AQ or extras then the NA release and are 100% region free.

Thanks guys, much appreciated!

buck135
11-16-2012, 11:36 PM
Hey blue. "Return of the Living Dead" is region-free, but there is a work-around with the remote you need to do in order to get it to work. The movie and awesome two-hour documentary are region-free, however the other docs are locked. Same goes for certain docs on the Arrow "Dawn" and "Day of the Dead" blu's. I highly recommend getting a blu-ray player that can switch regions, then you don't have to deal with this. I just bought "Dawn of the Dead" (1978) from Austria. It's region B locked, however it is the European Argento Cut. I'm not waiting around and hoping that Anchor Bay will release all three versions on blu.

Shannafey
11-16-2012, 11:56 PM
Also, any help on these titles would be great, including whether the extras will play?

Highlander UK

The extras played fine on my cheap Magnavox. LOVE this blu ray!!