PDA

View Full Version : Ghost of Mars 03/31/09

X-human
01-21-2009, 03:55 AM
Sony Pictures has announced its latest catalog release for high-def, bringing John Carpenter's 'Ghosts of Mars' to Blu-ray in late March.

The 2001 box office disappointment, starring Natasha Henstridge, Ice Cube, and a bunch of Marilyn Manson-looking martians, will receive its Blu-ray debut on March 31.

Tech specs will see 1080p/AVC MPEG-4 video (2.35:1) and Dolby TrueHD 5.1 Surround audio.

Extras include audio commentary with Carpenter and Henstridge, plus three featurettes ("Video Diary: Red Desert Nights," "SFX Deconstructions," "Scoring Ghosts of Mars").

The disc also comes BD-Live enabled, though no exclusive content has been announced.

Suggested retail price for the Blu-ray has been set at $28.95.http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Sony/Disc_Announcements/Ghost_of_Mars_to_Haunt_Blu-ray_this_March/2417

rhett
01-21-2009, 03:57 AM
Nice. I'm guessing time will be very nice to this flick - just last year when I rewatched it again I was surprised by just how strong the characterizations were. Melanie Ballard is one powerful woman. Seeing those Carpenter compositions in HD should be eye candy, too.

Egg_Shen
01-21-2009, 03:59 AM
Personally I'm a fan of the film, but I think it's weird they're releasing it considering it didn't make em' much money.

Egg_Shen
01-21-2009, 04:04 AM
Seeing those Carpenter compositions in HD should be eye candy, too.

Not to mention that jumping theme of his in TrueHD. I'm looking forward to it.

Mutilated Prey
01-21-2009, 04:20 AM
I found this movie to be a big let down. I don't see myself going Blu here.

fceurich39
01-21-2009, 04:28 AM
Personally I'm a fan of the film, but I think it's weird they're releasing it considering it didn't make em' much money.

agreed i also like this film but i am perfectly happy with the dvd also i would of thought john carpenter's vampires would of gotten a blu-ray release instead of this film very strange

spawningblue
01-21-2009, 05:12 PM
Yeah out of all his films they choose this one for his second film to go Blu. Never really like it at all, so unless I find it dirt cheap, I am more then satisfied with my DVD.

X-human
01-22-2009, 05:59 PM
Sony/Columbia only distribute Christine, Starman, Vampires and Ghost of Mars.

spawningblue
01-22-2009, 06:35 PM
Sony/Columbia only distribute Christine, Starman, Vampires and Ghost of Mars.

I would still take any of those over this. Christine for sure! Vampires would be good as well.

Cujo108
01-23-2009, 02:23 AM
Yeah out of all his films they choose this one for his second film to go Blu.

Assault on Precinct 13, The Thing and Halloween are all on Blu-Ray.

KillerCannabis
01-23-2009, 06:18 PM
I will rebuy every single new edition of every Carpenter film.

This will be no exception.

spawningblue
01-23-2009, 07:12 PM
Assault on Precinct 13, The Thing and Halloween are all on Blu-Ray.

Sweet I didn't know Assault was coming out. And I forgot about The Thing as they half assed it with the extras, so I'm going to wait for the re-release of that one.

KillerCannabis
01-24-2009, 04:46 AM
Sweet I didn't know Assault was coming out. And I forgot about The Thing as they half assed it with the extras, so I'm going to wait for the re-release of that one.

Assault is already available as an Amazon.com exclusive. I grabbed it for $20 and, while the pq isn't significantly better, it was still worth the upgrade. As for The Thing, I wouldn't hold my breath for another BD release. Import the UK edition if you want all the extras.

Dave
01-24-2009, 04:52 PM
If they are putting out this turd munch of a movie then they better put out Idle Hands while they are at it!!!

I would definitely go for JC's Vampires on blu, however. I believe it is out in Germany.

Edit: Ugh. That blu-ray is Region B only and it is censored. No thanks.

Angelman
01-24-2009, 07:27 PM
Um, this movie is awful, and i say that as a guy who LOVES JOHN CARPENTER'S FLICKS.

Blu-ray? this movie barely warranted a VHS release.

At least Natasha H. was in it... she saved it from being a complete disaster.

mlock
01-25-2009, 05:35 AM
If someone is going to remake Assault on Precinct 13, it may as well the same director as far as I'm concerned. With that in mind, I enjoyed the movie just as much as some of his other "real" classics. The only issue I had with the DVD version was how compressed the Dolby Digital sounded. For an action/sci-fi flick like this, I shouldn't have to crank up my receiver to still get only a decent audio presentation. Sony should have dropped the useless full frame version on the disc and upped the bitrates. Obviously the the DolbyTrueHD track will fix that! I may wait for it to go down in price however, unless I get really lucky and find a previously viewed copy a couple months later for 20 bucks.