PDA

View Full Version : How many HD-DVD titles do you Own?

Spitfire
02-06-2009, 08:07 PM
How many HD-DVD titles did u amass during its run? And will you still add some more to your collection before those hard to find titles run out of print?

And which would you rank as the top 3 titles that are must own.

I have a total of 17 titles total. I'm thinking of adding one or two more.

Thus far, King Kong/Transformers are a must have, and my best looking titles.

So I would rank them as: (from what I own) in terms of video transfers.

01. Transformers
02. King Kong
03. Miami Vice

grodd
02-06-2009, 09:18 PM
How many HD-DVD titles did u amass during its run? And will you still add some more to your collection before those hard to find titles run out of print?

And which would you rank as the top 3 titles that are must own.

I have a total of 17 titles total. I'm thinking of adding one or two more.

Thus far, King Kong/Transformers are a must have, and my best looking titles.

So I would rank them as: (from what I own) in terms of video transfers.

01. Transformers
02. King Kong
03. Miami Vice

I own around 20-25.
I want to get the missing disks I need to complete Band of Brothers. (No DNR unlike the blu-ray)
My favorite are
1 Army of Darkness
2. The Thing (No DNR unlike the blu-ray)
3. Dawn of the Dead

Some versions that I would recommend above the blu-ray for picture quality are:

Underworld 2 (AVC)
The Thing (No DNR)
Silent Hill (AVC)
Band of Brothers (NO DNR)
T2 (Sharper transfer)

Dave
02-06-2009, 11:02 PM
I own about 20-25. I bought in when the format died and took advantage of the fire sales.

I still want to get the T2 Steelbook import, along with the Matrix trilogy (only because it is $20 versus the $70+ on blu).

Certainly my favorite HD-DVD is The Thing, plus Blade Runner briefcase. I'm really warming up to Blade Runner these days.

KillerCannabis
02-07-2009, 12:01 AM
I racked up about 52 titles in it's prime. I still buy them on occasion when I see a good price online.

My top 3:

- The Thing (1st title I got. It's my favorite flick.)
- Blade Runner (The briefcase is awesome and the discs look amazing.)
- The Shining (Never seen it look so good.)

I just got the King Kong (1976) French import from Xploited the other day. I'll be checking it out this weekend.

Reverenddave
02-07-2009, 02:54 AM
I currently own around 100. I'd sold a bunch when HD-DVD died. And then re-bought many when the prices dropped to $5.

My 3 favorites are probably:

The Thing
Casablanca
Blade Runner

My 3 favorites that aren't available on US Blu-Ray:

Big Lebowski
The Frighteners
Hot Fuzz

Dave
02-07-2009, 02:55 AM
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but those on the fence about HD-DVD and have an Xbox 360:

http://shop3.frys.com/product/5837863

And for EVERYONE with HD-DVD, a nice Amazon sale:

http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=1233808505/ref=sr_pg_1?ie=UTF8&rs=&me=A2Q7JFWUPSYRTJ&rh=&page=1

What an awesome sale! HIGH DEFINITION movies for $5.00 each! Heroes (AWESOME show) S1 for $12.99!!!!

Unreal.

Plus I have Amazon Prime, so they are here in 2 days.

Yet I still find myself being picky! But I am going to get a few; Bourne Identity and a few others I've been eyeballing.

The Chaostar
02-07-2009, 03:16 AM
Just 8

Salo R2
The Thing R2
The Fountain R2
Rambo: First Blood R1
Wall-E R2
TCM R1
Clockwork Orange R1
There Will Be Blood R1

Haven't bought a BR player yet.
I'll wait till a region-free or a hackable player arrives.
As I did with DVD.

shift
02-07-2009, 06:28 AM
I played it smart. Forget buying a standalone player.

I added a LG combo player that plays both HD-dvd and Blu. I get the best of both worlds and the drive only cost me 100.00 w/ software :D

As for movies, I purchase more HD-dvd b/c it is hella lotta cheaper!

Nothing great to my addition, but I got HULK, Coming to America & Black Christmas all for $5.00 each! YEAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!

Only Blu-ray movie I got is some POS called Category7, but I got it for the price of a rental, so why the hell not (at least for now).

shift
02-07-2009, 06:47 AM
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but those on the fence about HD-DVD and have an Xbox 360:

http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=1233808505/ref=sr_pg_1?ie=UTF8&rs=&me=A2Q7JFWUPSYRTJ&rh=&page=1

What an awesome sale! HIGH DEFINITION movies for $5.00 each! Heroes (AWESOME show) S1 for $12.99!!!!

Unreal.

Plus I have Amazon Prime, so they are here in 2 days.

Yet I still find myself being picky! But I am going to get a few; Bourne Identity and a few others I've been eyeballing.

Kick ass man.

I just purchased

Transformers
40 Year Old Virgin
Dawn of the Dead
Streets of Fire.

all for $20 shipped!

Thanks man!!

Katatonia
02-07-2009, 09:08 AM
I don't own any! The LG Super-Multi-Drive in my computer will play HD-DVD; but the bad thing is that newer versions of programs like PowerDVD don't even support HD-DVD playback now...as they did in earlier versions.

The only HD-DVD disc I really need to find is The Thing...since it trumps the Blu-ray's DNR'ed transfer.

rxfiend
02-07-2009, 12:47 PM
I have around 40 discs. I'm still buying them each time I get paid (most third party sellers on amazon sell discs around $3 - $4). My favorite top 5 would be:

2001: A Space Odyssey
Batman Begins
The Frighteners
The Thing (beautiful transfer!)
Army of Darkness

Truth be told, I haven't been disappointed with any of my HD discs. Even BCI's "Galaxina" looks pretty good.

And speaking of deals, be sure to see my thread in the "bargains" section. Kroger grocery stores are selling Universal combo discs at about $5 a piece!

shift
02-10-2009, 03:58 AM
I don't own any! The LG Super-Multi-Drive in my computer will play HD-DVD; but the bad thing is that newer versions of programs like PowerDVD don't even support HD-DVD playback now...as they did in earlier versions.

The only HD-DVD disc I really need to find is The Thing...since it trumps the Blu-ray's DNR'ed transfer.

KAT -

I have PowerDVD ver. 7.3 , and not sure how or if it allows me to update, but I can play all HD-DVDs and Blu-Ray movies.

The only thing I do-not think it supports is 5.1 / 6.1 / 7.1; but only 2-channel.

But I just install a sound card that has SPDIF / toslink / optical and I plan to run my Onkyo receiver as the decoder. So I am hoping I will not have to upgrade to another medial player due to not support of 5.1 / 6.1 / 7.1.

Also from what I researched ArcSOFT has a media called TOTAL MEDIA THEATER and it is suppose to support hd-dvd & blu-ray. Right now they have a 20% off frp, retail price of $69.00. Here's more info on it:
http://www.arcsoft.com/products/totalmediatheatre/

So if your interested in getting this software here is the info for the coupon code to save 20%:
Notes
Enter coupon code Cupid09 at checkout to receive 20% off
Offer valid through 2/14/2009
I hear this software is much better then Cyberlink's powerdvd

Katatonia
02-10-2009, 07:48 AM
Yeah shift, I have version 7.3 also...but the software won't allow it to install any updates (it needs a patch to play newer discs) since I also have version 8 installed on this computer, which does not support HD-DVD.

I suppose that I could uninstall 8, update 7.3 and then reinstall 8, but that's just a headache I don't need to mess with yet.

shift
02-10-2009, 02:44 PM
Kat - I guess you could do that, I am sure it will only take a few minutes to uninstall and then install the old software.

I have yet to see any issues w/ PowerDVD. I guess it all depends if you want to play hd-dvds :D

Good luck

CrazyFatEthel
02-11-2009, 03:20 AM
None!!!!

It's me, Billy
02-11-2009, 06:26 AM
Only 11

The Big Lebowski (1998)
Black Christmas (2006)
Cat People (1982)
Dazed and Confused (1993)
Deliverance (1972)
Eyes Wide Shut (1999)
The Hitcher (2007)
Mallrats (1995)
The Shining (1980)
The Thing (1982)
Tremors (1990)

Dave
02-26-2009, 12:16 AM
I thought these deals were about dead, but Inetvideo is having another great deal on HD-DVDs and even some blus. But the killer is free shipping over $49. Since I am canceling satellite on Monday and giving myself a $50/month budget on movies, here is my first month.

Some are just upgrading the DVD, but for $4.00, why the hell not?

An American Werewolf in London (Combo HD DVD and Standard DVD) (HD DVD) (DVD NEW)
Price: $3.99

Beowulf (Director's Cut) (HD DVD) (DVD NEW)

Dark City (Director's Cut) (Blu-ray) (DVD NEW)
Price: $13.99

Face/Off (HD DVD) (DVD NEW)

Into The Wild (HD DVD) (DVD NEW)
Price: $4.99

Land of the Dead (Unrated Director's Cut) (Combo HD DVD and Standard DVD) (HD DVD) (DVD NEW)

National Lampoon's Animal House (Combo HD DVD and Standard DVD) (HD DVD) (DVD NEW)

Sleepy Hollow (HD DVD) (DVD NEW)

Sneakers (HD DVD) (DVD NEW)

Shipping Method:
Standard Shipping - Service

Subtotal: $49.91
Shipping & Handling: $16.95
Sales Tax: $0.00
-----------------------------------
Purchase Total: $49.91

Dave
02-26-2009, 12:20 AM
Inetvideo is legit, too. I have ordered there a few times.

Odin
02-26-2009, 04:15 PM
damn...thats a hell of a deal...almost makes me consider getting an hddvd player