PDA

View Full Version : Get lucky on FRIDAY THE 13TH!

rhett
02-07-2009, 04:11 PM
As a kid? With mask? Without? In Manhattan? Undead? There are many iterations of Jason. With the remake coming out in a week, it's time to start thinking about our favorite series...and I'm going to give you some goods for doing so! All you need to do is tell me your favorite Jason movie
http://www.horrordigital.com/reviews/contests/dvdcon.jpg

As a kid? With mask? Without? In Manhattan? Undead? There are many iterations of Jason. With the remake coming out in a week, it's time to start thinking about our favorite series...and I'm going to give you some goods for doing so! All you need to do is tell me your favorite Jason movie, and why. What will you win?

I have three copies each of the following DVDs:
FRIDAY THE 13TH: Uncut
FRIDAY THE 13TH, PART 2: Deluxe Edition
FRIDAY THE 13TH, PART 3 in 3D: Deluxe Edition

Three lucky winners will receive all three discs to get their FRIDAY THE 13TH collection off to a great start, or upgraded to an even better one. The winners will be randomly drawn, naturally, on Friday the 13th of February 2009, one stroke before midnight.

So don't delay, tell us, what's your favorite FRIDAY THE 13TH movie? Post your responses in this thread only!

ekent
02-07-2009, 04:18 PM
My favorite is part 1. No franchise rules to live up to, no fans to please, just a straight forward wilderness slasher.

BroodingHope
02-07-2009, 04:27 PM
My favorite is A New Beginning, for various reasons. First of all the setting and entire plot of the film gave a much needed reboot to the franchise. It was the first to establish Jason as a force that could find you wherever you were, not just at Crystal Lake. Secondly, it features my favorite kill of the series, the hedge clippers to the face.

dave13
02-07-2009, 04:32 PM
ive always liked part seven best...the awesome jason design with the spinal cord showing, and a fantastically over-the-top concept with the whole psychic girl thing. Kane Hodder was a great jason, but most people seem to forget the fact that of his four movies, two were absolute bottom of the barrel (8,9), and one took place in space! the only one he made that stands alongside the greats from the early 80's is part 7, and damn does he do a good job in it. Just the way he breathes is menacing. he looks absolutely ferocious. it may have been cut to shit by the mpaa, but its still one of the most enjoyable of the series.

eric_angelus
02-07-2009, 04:36 PM
Friday the 13th Part 2. It was the first I ever saw, and in my opinion still has the best atmosphere, acting, and overall storyline.

x666x
02-07-2009, 04:38 PM
I really enjoyed Friday the 13th Part 2. It just felt darker and more grisly than the rest.

Caspar2112
02-07-2009, 04:43 PM
I have always enjoyed the beginning to any chapter anthology. Cunningham worked with less budget and relied on an initially interesting story. As the chapters progressed, so did the story splinter into something it originally was not. The first one not only had a great creepy premise and simple twist but a great performance from Palmer and some great kills. It somehow laid kudos on its predecessors with it's POV camera and jumpstart beginning. :eek1:

thiefofhearts86
02-07-2009, 04:53 PM
I think I'm tied on the first two, followed by Parts 3 and 7.

KillerCannabis
02-07-2009, 05:48 PM
The Final Chapter.

Jason is a mad animal, Crispin Glover's dance, Teddy's computer, Feldman, the return of Tom Savini, Joe Zito directing... plus it was the first F13th film I watched as a kid and it's stuck with me ever since. It's still atmospheric and tense even after all these years. Every time Rob goes down into the basement I still get creeped out even though I know who's waiting for him.

CrazyFatEthel
02-07-2009, 05:56 PM
I have to go with part 8...just kidding!!!My favorite has to be Part 2, I just loved the characters and the deaths. Plus it had Amy Steele in it!!

KR~!
02-07-2009, 06:02 PM
My favorite film of the series is Part 2, there is something really creepy about Jason in this one that he doesn't have in the rest. The hood, the insane cabin and his tribute to his mom all make for some disturbing imagery. One of the best slashers ever made.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/414T1RCWD4L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

shithead
02-07-2009, 06:03 PM
Final Chapter by far.

Awesome opening scene in the morgue, Savini's effects are great and not castrated by the MPAA for once, awesome Jason who really seems pissed, and of course Glover and Feldman as already mentioned above.

Not just my favorite Friday, but one of my all time favorite slashers.

Conal Cochran
02-07-2009, 06:07 PM
Friday the 13th part III. This one was my first horror movie and it made me a horror fan for life.

allmessedup
02-07-2009, 06:12 PM
Part 2....love the first four, but Part 2 is best. I remember watching it on cable when I was around 10-11, eating breakfast! The Movie Channel used to show all kinds of movies all through the day.

Grim
02-07-2009, 06:21 PM
2 is great for the overall creepy and foreboding atmosphere that is present throughout. It really nailed the "setting with horrible past that dumb ass young people decide to inhabit" plot device that we take for granted so much these days.

7 has quite possibly the most bad ass Jason and I loved the attention to detail (they fit in basically every bit of damage he had received in the past, right down to the damn bullet hole in his mask)

But like so many others, my vote has to go the Final Chapter. The level of production design and attention to the continuity between this film and the 3 is astounding. (the cabin and barn in the opening scene looks basically identical to Part 3 and Jason is laying in the same exact position. Helicopters. All kinds of cool shit.) Jason is just downright evil in this one. No bullshit, no gimmicky kills. Just him taking care of business. I think Ted White's negative feelings about playing the character and his attitude on set actually contributed to the character in a positive way. He was just doing it for the paycheck so he didn't waste time trying to give Jason emotions or what have you, just bloody revenge. Yeah there are a few blunders, like the Rob character (he really did a lot of research on Jason in the two days since his sister died), but overall, it's still the best.

walkingdude
02-07-2009, 06:22 PM
Part 5 has always been my favorite.It is just so damn cheesy.

othervoice1
02-07-2009, 06:37 PM
I will be in line with the majority here and say Friday the 13th Part 2 because to me it is the scariest of the bunch. I think 1-4 were great and really kind of completed the story and they will always be the real "series" to me- I also liked part 6 since it was just a fun Friday flick. But Part 2 sticks out to me as the one that had the most scares and creepy feel to it.

vampyr789
02-07-2009, 06:43 PM
even though i love part 1, Jason Lives is still my favorite out of them all. I love the perfect blend of comedy and horror. i also really liked the little winks at other films...(ie. James Bond) has some great deaths, a handful of creepy scenes, awesome soundtrack, likable cast, and Jason is awesome.

bigdaddyhorse
02-07-2009, 06:43 PM
2 is great for the overall creepy and foreboding atmosphere that is present throughout. It really nailed the "setting with horrible past that dumb ass young people decide to inhabit" plot device that we take for granted so much these days.

7 has quite possibly the most bad ass Jason and I loved the attention to detail (they fit in basically every bit of damage he had received in the past, right down to the damn bullet hole in his mask)

But like so many others, my vote has to go the Final Chapter. The level of production design and attention to the continuity between this film and the 3 is astounding. (the cabin and barn in the opening scene looks basically identical to Part 3 and Jason is laying in the same exact position. Helicopters. All kinds of cool shit.) Jason is just downright evil in this one. No bullshit, no gimmicky kills. Just him taking care of business. I think Ted White's negative feelings about playing the character and his attitude on set actually contributed to the character in a positive way. He was just doing it for the paycheck so he didn't waste time trying to give Jason emotions or what have you, just bloody revenge. Yeah there are a few blunders, like the Rob character (he really did a lot of research on Jason in the two days since his sister died), but overall, it's still the best.

I was just trying to find a 4-sided coin to flip between these and part 5. I know my love for 5 comes from (unfortunatly not on) Debbie Voorhies' breasts, so that's out. 2 was the first one I saw in R form, so that holds a special place. 7 easily had the best looking Jason ever, but it always comes back to 4...

It was the first one I snuck into the theater to see. I snuck in repeatedly (3 times the first day alone) and loved it more each time. It was the flick that had me thinking of ways to kill people from the farming stuff on the walls of Ponderosa, or my grandparents garage. It had a decent share of nudity, best gore I had ever seen at the time, and Jason was just a bad, scary motherfucker. Basicly it turned me into the degenerate horror fiend I am today, and I want to thank it! Even if the title lied, it's still my favorite.

That being said, statistics don't lie, and since I started keeping track on here and dvdprofiler, Jason X gets the most replays due to the funness factor. I still vote for 4 as my favorite, X as the one that gets watched the most.

Angelman
02-07-2009, 06:52 PM
The Final Chapter.

Not as scary as 2, not as off-the-wall as 7 but...

All of the iconic things were firmly in place: the mask, the machete, the outright bloodshed. You get Tommy Jarvis (who would be the only character other than Jason and Ms. Pamela Voorhees to make substantial mutiple appearances). You get Savini's great effects, including the brilliant machete to the head bit. I remember my entire family turning away in horror when his face slid down it. And it was the last human Jason before Zombie Jason. When I think of the definitive Jason, I think of Final Chapter.

Brilliant flick.

pdw
02-07-2009, 07:15 PM
I've always liked Part Two... Prolly because it was the first one I saw.

pieces35
02-07-2009, 07:28 PM
I am a huge fan of the original, because that is what started the whole FRIDAY THE 13 EXPERIENCE!!!

Misanthrope666
02-07-2009, 08:02 PM
This is a tough one because I think that the first 4 are great and there are other very good ones throughout (except for part 8). But since I have to pick one, I have to say Part 4. Part 4 is the one where all of the elements that made the series so iconic were perfected, it was the first time he wore the hockey mask through the entire movie, he had become more and more unstoppable, and he was given a nemesis that lasted 2 more movies. Also it had one of the best casts with Corey Feldman and who could forget Crispin Glover's character ("Ted! Where's the cork screw?"). Part 4 also marked the return of Tom Savini's awesome effects which were always make a horror film a treat to watch. Aside from all of this I think the Friday 4 marks the end of the glory days of the first wave slasher films as it really was all downhill from there for the genre.

killit
02-07-2009, 08:05 PM
part 7, telekinesis, soap opera actors and a real zombie jason. And boy would those kills have been great, if they hadnt been neutered. Part 2 is second fave, creative kills and a good cast, i especially like the wheelchair guy and his death was great.

soxfan666
02-07-2009, 08:18 PM
Its a toss up between 1 and 2. I will go with 1 since 2 wouldn't exist without it.

streetlight
02-07-2009, 08:35 PM
I would have to go with Part 2 also.

I remember first watching it when I was about 11 years old on some channel from Detroit in the late 1980s, it was not a cable channel, just a regular channel anyone with a tv antenna could get, which kind of surprises me now. Nowadays only cable/satellite stations show 1980s slashers, as far as I know...

I thought it was expertly directed, and it had a very focused storyline. The entire creepy woods atmosphere I found to be very realistic and it made me feel like I was right there with the actors being a part of it. I loved the shocking introduction with the icepick death. Anyway, even though the gore was probably cut (when it was on TV) it was still shocking to me and definitely made me a horror fan. I even found an old pillow cover and cut a hole in it for my own "mask" and wore it around the house.

But yeah, it was shocking and entertained me all the way through, excellent movie

KamuiX
02-07-2009, 08:39 PM
My favorite is easily Part 2...it feels a lot like a nastier, grittier version of the original, with Jason in place of Mrs. Voorhees. It helps that it doesn't feel dated like the original does. It's also the only film in the series that still managed to creep me out when I revisited them all a few years back...the scene with Jason in that little shed with his mom's head on the altar is quite unsettling.

Mattapooh
02-07-2009, 08:54 PM
I love parts 1 and 2, but I think part 4 really nails it for me. It's got a REALLY scary Jason, a good setting, some crazy kills and a great sense of humour. The corkscrew is great, but what about the fat chick getting offed while eating a banana? STILL cracks me up.

bwana the clown
02-07-2009, 09:44 PM
Another Friday The 13th Part 2 devotee here. I was about 10, it was the first slasher that I ever saw and it totally traumatised me! I had never seen anything like it - some unstoppable, relentless killing machine picking people off for no apparant reason. The whole tone was just so dark and cold. Even the image on the cover, a simple outline clutching an axe, gave me the chills. And as many have already said, that bag is just sooooo much creepier than the hockey mask.

I remember after watching it, I had to rush outside to the bright warm sunshine and play with the cat, just to return everything to a state of normality and to forget the atrocities I'd seen.

That night - I lay in bed, listening as my parents watched the film. The Manfredini score. The screams. The 'Incy-Wincy Spider'.....it all came back to me....a very, very, long night.

I swore that I'd never watch anything like it again. But what did I know? I was only ten.

Mutilated Prey
02-07-2009, 09:53 PM
Part 2 is my favorite. The first one where out friend Jason is the killer and has some of the most memoriable deaths. Love the creepy factor too.

NaturesMistake
02-07-2009, 10:21 PM
My outlook shifts on them, but I love the first four the most.

At the moment, I'm still in love with number one. It has the best atmosphere and pacing (Sean Cunningham really got that "thrill ride" pacing down pat) throughout the series, followed by two, three and four in that order.

So right now. Part 1 is my favorite.

Katatonia
02-07-2009, 11:26 PM
Friday the 13th Part 2. The mask, the mask!!!

mrlabrad
02-07-2009, 11:37 PM
My favorite movie would have to be Friday the 13th PART 2 because it was a pretty scary movie when I watched it as a kid. I love the hockey mask, it's become so iconic to slasher films.

captain_brandon
02-07-2009, 11:54 PM
Hey all, I'm new.

While my overall posative feelings are loving parts 2, 3 and 4 and even the 'black sheep' of the series that is Part 5 respectiveally, my absolute personal favorite has to be hands down:

Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981).

The character of Giny, as played by the always lovely Amy Steel (April Fool's Day, Walk Like a Man) is the series best heroine, who is forced to fight back, breaks cliches by making love to her parter Paul (Johny Furey) but living, and with being an all around likeable presence and with studying psychology in school, makes her thus far the series most interesting character outside of our main antagnosis of Jason, of course.

The first ever apperance of the adult Jason Voorhees so scared me as a child, with his baggy denium jean over alls and flannel shirt and dirty pillow case, that I was him for the next two Halloween's. Watching it on cable in the very late '80s (often Cinemax, Showtime and sometimes HBO it would seem) was such a cathardic experieance for me.

From that moment on in my life, I devoured issue after issue of Fangoria magazine with a subscription from a very young age (thank God for very kind/understanding parents that didn't really care or mind), as well as Starlog and Cinefantastique and the short lived GoreZone years later through convention visits and eBay buying.

From that moment on from seeing Part 2, which was the first in the series that I saw by the way, I myself wanted to pick up a 35mm camera with film in it, and go grab a talented film crew, head off into the vast North American woods and scare others with my own ideas about a project, just as Steve Miner and writer Ron Kurz did to me and millions of others around the world.

I feel that Part 2 has no real short comings, except for some period/dated clothing and some music, and of course, the dreadful MPAA-imposed cuts (which the film makers chouldn't help). I even defend one set piece that many have a problem with, which is the character of Vicky (Lauren-Marie Taylor) heading up stairs while saying "Mark?", the wheel chair bound character. Look at it again, as she is genuineally spooked and is just saying his name downstairs as well as when she ascends, and is wondering simply where everyone suddenly went.

But all that is easily forgiven for such a well made film. I practically applauded the recent Part 2 Deluxe Edition review; everything said was so spot on. I was immdiately transported back to when I wasn't even in double digits, and was curious about all things Jason Voorhees, and was allowed to buy & order my first crummy EP (or was it SP?) mode VHS tapes from Paramount at VHS stores we frequented here in Shreveport and then soon, subburban Jackson, Tennessee.

Everything about Part 2 I feel makes it easily one of the most underrated in not only the Friday cannon, but the Slasher & Giallo film sub-genres as well. From it's fine Harry Manfredinni score (that whole final reel of clashing violins is like grabbing ahold of a live wire to me), to it's leading lady and better assortment of camp counsalers then the first film, to it's scares and first outting for the fitting lead villian, I feel the world of Slashers was never truely the same. Take a look back. It's quite an important film ...

satans-sadists
02-07-2009, 11:57 PM
My vote is for the first film. Watched it more than any in the series and just find it to be a good old fashioned slasher flick. Jason's cameo at the end was especially frightening the first time I saw this and in some ways the imagery had a lingering effect. Parts 2 and 3 are also personal favorites.

I've always liked part 6 as well. I'm sure that Alice Cooper doing two songs for the movie has plenty to do with that! :)

Spit
02-08-2009, 12:15 AM
The 2nd one. I loved the atmosphere of Jason's creepy little shack and shrine complete with mothers head.

Kim Bruun
02-08-2009, 12:35 AM
Friday the 13th: Part 2. It made me shriek three times on the first viewing, and I'm a dude, so that counts for something. ;)

Seriously, it is the scariest in the entire series, partially because of the suspense and shocks generated. The movie knows just how to let Ginny and Jason occupy the same frame and when to cut from one to the other. However, Ginny's approach to the myth of Jason also creates a human angle on what would later be an entirely iconic boogeyman, and that human angle makes Jason creepy.

Friday the 13th: Part 2 also earns points for featuring:

*The most likable of the Friday heroines, the resourceful Ginny.

*The hunkiest of the Friday victims, Mark.

*The best rat scare in any horror film.

*The ever awesome Betsy Palmer, even though she doesn't get to go overboard like she did in the first one.

jkirby
02-08-2009, 01:01 AM
For me, this is a no brainer. I felt #6 was a very well made film - it had scares, humor and my favorite version of Jason. The pace was great and it has high replay value for me. When people ask me "what is so great about these F13 films anyway?" I show them #6.

it stands alone as a good horror film, and - in my humble opinion - is heads and shoulders on all the others.

moogong
02-08-2009, 01:04 AM
Pt. 7..The New Blood. My favorite scene was the show down in front of the cabins. Jason looks stunned that somebody would challenge him. Not only is it my favorite F13 entry but also one of my favorite 80's slasher flicks.

lakini71
02-08-2009, 01:13 AM
Part 2 is probably my favorite, simply because of Amy Steel's terrific heroine, as well as it's the only entry in the series that actually scared me. It's not my favorite incarnation of Jason, however (doesn't he seem a bit klutzy in this one?)...that honor would go to Part 3.

_pi_
02-08-2009, 01:33 AM
I'll say number 2, but it might as well be number 3 or 4. I enjoyed them all pretty much equally. But 2 remains the most memorable, so that's my pick.

Harry Warden
02-08-2009, 01:46 AM
My favorite Jason movie is Friday the 13th part II, because it's the one film where he doesn't have a hockey mask. Jason with the sack over his head scared the living shit out of me, and it just looks more naturally menacing. The hockey mask has been done to death, no pun intended, but the sack reminds me of the killer in The Town That Dreaded Sundown, and it just creeps me out!!

Kolpitz
02-08-2009, 01:47 AM
Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives

By the time that this sixth entry rolled around in 1986, the series was growing tired (although that doesn't mean I don't love them all). A New Beginning had struck most fans the wrong way and Frank Mancuso, Jr. and Co. were eager to get the real Jason back up on the screen. They made a fine choice, hiring Tom McLoughlin (fresh off of his excellent debut One Dark Night), the best director of the series (followed closely by Joseph Zito). McLoughlin was eager to shake things up, and that's exactly what he did. This entry is probably most remembered for injecting some much needed humor into the series (Rod Hedden would try, and fail, to do the same with Jason Takes Manhattan), which, in my opinion, works extremely well. It's this humor that allows McLoughlin to take a much different approach with this entry. Whereas the previous entries tried to be scary, Jason Lives only concerns itself with being fun. From its summer blockbuster atmosphere (car chases, explosions, action-packed setpieces, its firery finale) to it's slicker look, this film never concerns itself with anything but entertainment. Thom Mathews steps into Corey Feldman and John Shepherd's shoes as the thid Tommy Jarvis and whips them both. He's always the version of the Tommy that I think of, and if they were ever to bring the character back, I say bring him back to play him. Of course, none of this would work, without great kills and a great Jason. C.J. Graham steps into the big guy's shoes and fills them admirably, creating the lumbering zombie Jason that Kane Hodder would later perfect. The kills are also done in the same tongue-in-cheek style as the rest of the film, especially the triple beheading and the sheriff being literally bent in two. All of these things add up to the most re-watchable entry in the series, that can also stand on its own as a great horror flick. This is the first one I saw, and its still my favorite.

marcx
02-08-2009, 02:02 AM
Hmmm...well the first ifs my fave--but since you aksed for favorite Jason movie I am going to say part 4...(Although he looked th ebest in part &, but 4's the better movie)

Workshed
02-08-2009, 02:09 AM
The Final Chapter features Crispin Glover, and so it gets my vote. I also like the installment where Jason is pretty much hiding in a barn, and everyone just waltzes into the barn one by one to look for the last person who walked into the barn--and they all end up with the same fate. He hardly had to do any work all! I remember watching that one (Part III, maybe?) with a buddy over a few beers, and we laughed at how easy Jason had it.

Ptflea2
02-08-2009, 02:52 AM
Glad to see someone finally gave part 6 some love! I too hold this entry into the series a little higher because Jason Lives was my introduction to the goaltender. I absolutely love the first ten minutes. His Zombie/Frankenstein resurrection is the best!

Zombie Dude
02-08-2009, 04:51 AM
I think I'll go with Jason Lives. It was witty action packed and the only Friday to actually have kids at the camp.

Richard Anthony
02-08-2009, 05:10 AM
For me, I love every one of the Films in the Friday The 13TH Series, so picking one as a Favorite is always Very Hard!! So, I guess you could say, My Favorite, may change from time to time. However, Friday The 13TH Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan holds a Very Special place in my heart, and it is one of my all time Favorites. So, if you asked me to pick a favorite right now, that would be it!! I remember being a kid and seeing the Movie Ad for it, and the idea of Our Favorite Hockey Masked Slasher Jason Voorhees being let loose on New York was an amazing concept!! That Movie Poster with Jason and the back drop of New York still give me chills of excitement to this day because I remember how seeing it for the first time was about when my life long love affair with Horror Movies started!!

It was one of the first Friday Movies that I ever saw, and I remember when I watched it for the first time, I was blown away!! I love everything about this Movie from Jason on the Crusie Ship to when he reaches New York, I love Rennie as the heroine, and I love the Sexy Bad Girl Tamara, and Peter Mark Richman as Rennie's Uncle!! Plus, Jason going one on one with the boxer on the rooftop always remains a standout scene for me!! I may be one of the few who feels this way, but I really love it!! I know it may not be the Goriest or the Scariest but there is something about Friday The 13TH Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan that is Magic for me!! I could watch it all the time, as I could with every Friday Film, and always find something new and exciting to discover!!

Magellan
02-08-2009, 06:52 AM
Part 6. It has the humor, the wittiness and a very neat, esthetic look to it that I enjoy. It has so many memorable scenes like the intro when maggot faced Jason awakens after being electricuted and the ending when he gets pulled down into the lake again. The cast ensemble is also my favorite. Although taking a more tongue-in-cheek approach it is still a dedicated and honest slasher all the way through. Very well balanced.

Cosmo
02-08-2009, 07:12 AM
My personal favorite would be Jason Lives. There's the rockin' Alice Cooper tunes, along with a really well-done blend of horror and comedy.

DrHerbertWest
02-08-2009, 07:16 AM
Dude, easy... Part IV because it's got Corey Feldman!

Anaestheus
02-08-2009, 08:36 AM
I was never a big fan of the series. I liked the first two, but every new chapter just darkened the whole series for me. With each installment I just kept waiting for it to push itself into insanity. So for me, Jason X was exactly what I wanted from the series. Seriously.

Erick H.
02-08-2009, 08:57 AM
The original is still my favorite.It sets the tone for the series,introduces the memorable score and features some snazzy death scenes.There's a bit of a giallo feel to it,the unseen killer picking off victims with a variety of weapons etc..The killer's reveal is a great piece of cheesy/fun horror theatrics (''Kill her,Mommy,KILL HER !").Lastly,the big scare at the climax is beautifully shot,the silver water,slow motion,the comforting music....then BAM !!!!!!
Great fun.

Copyboy
02-08-2009, 10:35 AM
Wow! I can't believe all the love part 2 is getting. It seems to me it wasn't that long ago when a lot of people rated it near the bottom of the pack.

For me it's hard to pick between 1 and 2 because they both have great atmosphere (probably from being filmed in the northeast) and a grittiness that's missing from all the others. Part 1 has what to me are some of the creepiest moments that really hold up today - Ned seeing someone in one of the cabins and going to check it out; Marcie alone in the bathroom; Brenda hearing a child's calls for help; and I know everyone hates this scene but I will never forget the first time I saw the movie just waiting and waiting and waiting for something awful to happen - Alice making instant coffee! AHHH!

As much as I love Part 1 I've still got to go with 2 as it scared me more than any other, it was the first one I ever saw, and Amy Steele's acting is so much more natural than Adrienne King's.

Sometimes I wonder if the scene where Betsy is bitch-slapping Adrienne was not actually in the script but an off camera moment where Betsy was fed up with Adrienne's lack of talent and simply trying to help get her into the moment. I'm guessing Sean Cunningham saw how great it was, started rolling and inserted it into the final film.

Cujo108
02-08-2009, 12:04 PM
A New Beginning is my favorite. It is by far the creepiest of the lot. There's something about the atmosphere in this film that just feels... off. I think the area it was shot in is the most atmospheric of the series. This is probably the most bizarre entry too, and I like that. The characters are great. From the quirky halfway house residents to the wacky Demon, to the crazed backwoods hicks, this film's characters are very entertaining. I also like the direction in which they took Tommy's character, having all these mental problems and hallucinations thanks to Mr. Voorhees. It's a crying shame that they didn't continue with this in the disappointing Jason Lives (the eighth film is the nadir of the series, but this one is certainly low on the list).

In a franchise that thrives on innovative death scenes, I think this film has some of the most original kills in the series. A leather strap crushing someone's head against a tree, a road flare to the mouth, a cleaver decapition while riding a motorbike, etc. I also love the fact that the killer is copycat, Roy. Its a nice, refreshing take, and I think having chocolate bar boy be his son was a nice twist. I always liked how he killed everyone but his son's killer too, though I'm sure he couldn't get to him.

Anyway, I think the series peaked with the third, fourth and fifth entries. These are my three favorite films in the series, and the ones I come back to most frequently.

adric
02-08-2009, 05:07 PM
my favorite would be Friday VI: jason lives, for the ridiculous kills and alice cooper soundtrack.

Egg_Shen
02-08-2009, 05:24 PM
The first one. Itís well made, has a strong central performance, and Jasonís Mom has way more personality than her son. I wonder how well she would have sported a hockey mask? Also, some actual thought went into the story. I think part II is the only movie in history to have a character avenging the death of his mother who died avenging his death.

Mortis
02-08-2009, 06:21 PM
I like part V the best. Miguel A. Nunez Jr. for the win!

scaryguy88
02-08-2009, 06:30 PM
part 2, because of the potato sack.

Cydeous
02-08-2009, 06:32 PM
The first two are the best for me. If I had to pick one it would be part 1, but part 2 is a very close second.

dayglo
02-08-2009, 07:17 PM
Definitely part 2, it just had the right combination of all things creepy and I watched it at the right age. Late night cable in the early 80's watching something you're not supposed to, set in the quiet woods, the whole campfire tale atmosphere, and the burlap sack. Still creepier than the hockey mask. :)

shownomercy
02-08-2009, 07:53 PM
Part 1. Because was the one who beggin the franchise.

maybrick
02-08-2009, 09:07 PM
My favorite Friday is Part 2 because burlap sacks are scarier than hockey masks.

Rockmjd
02-08-2009, 09:16 PM
Part 2 because I like the kills, I like the sack, and the jump through the glass.

fattyjoe37
02-08-2009, 11:06 PM
The Final Chapter. Not only is Jason his most brutal in this one, but the teen characters are actually interesting and well played by the actors. Not to mention it has the best deaths and most nudity in the franchise.

infinite
02-08-2009, 11:09 PM
The original is def. The most creative. Although the sequels all do endure Jason's amazing run as one of the screen's most iconic serial killers, Part 1 introduces the feel of the series, the creepy settings, the scary Mrs. Vorhees and the introduction of the boy who drowned in the lake and never died "Jason"
It's an incredible intro to an amazing series

rxfiend
02-08-2009, 11:40 PM
Used to be part 6, but I'm going have to say part 2. The film has a very creepy vibe.

wago70
02-08-2009, 11:51 PM
Friday the 13th Part 2 - this one had it all for me: quick pace, good actors and the final showdown between beauty and the beast had me on the edge of my seat. The location was awesome as well. The thick, green woodsy setting has never been as good since this 1981 film. Some great fluid camera work to during the chase scenes at the end were great too. This film also has my favorite score of all the films. The opening credits features a screeching, manic arrangement that has not been matched in any of the films. This is the one film that somehow is the perfect sister to the first film. The others just never had the same feel.

Mitbox
02-09-2009, 01:42 AM
By a mile my favorite one is 8: Jason takes Manhattan-nah just kidding, my fav would be the first one but very close is Final Chapter, maybe Final Chapter is a hair superior because it has the iconic jason we all know instead of mommy doing all the killings.

geeare
02-09-2009, 02:28 AM
my fav is Part 2 but don't enter me in the contest. I will be getting these on Blu-ray.

MorallySound
02-09-2009, 03:20 AM
The Final Chapter.

Great effects from Savini, Feldman taking on Vorhees, and Friday was still trying to be scary at this point, what's not to love? It didn't start the campy-ness and going for the over the top kills as it would retreat to after this entry (which should have been the FINAL chapter, but it wasn't...)

TheShape
02-09-2009, 04:49 AM
Gotta go with part 6. The opening, the return of Tommy Jarvis, Jason's most notorious and enduring rival. The beginning of zombie Jason: the slower but stronger and unkillable Jason. The version of him that non-fans of the series remember the most.

This is the one that I remember the most too as a young teenager in the late 80s. Reading the back cover at the video club and telling myself, man this living dead Jason thing is really badass. The legend of Friday the 13th was already growing in my mind. I was already a fan without seeing any of the films yet! And part 6 was a big part of that.

I'm more than overdue to rewatch the series from 1 to 8, so maybe I'll agree with all those "creepy vibe" comments about part 2 and change my mind but until then.... part 6 it is!

Ash J. Williams
02-09-2009, 05:20 AM
It varies, but usually VI, VII, or X. X, contrary to popular belief, is awesome.

Awesome.

Jason101
02-09-2009, 05:38 AM
My personal favorite was part 2 because it is the scariest of the whole series. Also, it is quick paced and has the best heroine and chase scene.

Chunkblower
02-09-2009, 07:17 AM
I'm going to break ranks and say part VI, due mainly to sharp writing and a refreshing sense of humour. Plus, it gave us one of the greatest Alice Cooper songs ever.

Part 2 is be a close second, while Final Chapter and New Beginning are my least favourites.

baggio
02-09-2009, 03:46 PM
I choose Friday the 13th Part II. With part 7 being my second choice. Only wish part 7 didn't have the ending it did though. Should have ended it at the house exploding.

17thJuggalo
02-09-2009, 06:40 PM
My favorite Friday is part 2 easily. The "sack" Jason is so much creepier than the rest, and there are some genuine scares and brutal gore to top it off.

spawningblue
02-09-2009, 08:00 PM
Have to go with Jason Lives! It was always the one I watched and rented the most as a kid. Me and my fiends just loved this one, I guess because it's so quick paced and has some decent humour. I actually watched this one last night with a group of friends, and once it again it didn't fail me, such a damn fun movie. Every ten minutes they introduce new characters, only to have them killed off minutes later. Cort is the man, and his scene in the woods with the rocks is classic! Oh, and it has some of the best kills, the triple decapitation, and the bending in half of the Sheriff to name a few.

As I'm getting older, part 4 is becoming close to passing this one, but I think I will always have a soft spot for this one and it will remain my favourite.

Darga
02-09-2009, 08:48 PM
Part 2 for me. It's my sentimental favorite because it's the first one I saw. I haven't seen it in years- maybe it's time to revisit it once that new blu ray disc comes out.

Darkside
02-09-2009, 09:47 PM
I will go with Part 5. I know I am outside of the full "Jason canon" but the plot twist was a good one for me. When I first saw it, the end was better than any lame M. Night ending as of late!

DeathDealer
02-09-2009, 10:13 PM
Without question, Part 1. Great STuff.

th3480
02-09-2009, 11:27 PM
Gotta go with Part I - pretty much like everyone else. Love it for so many reasons. Among them:

"Kill her Mommy...kill her!!!"

Kevin Bacon getting stabbed through the throat with the arrow from underneath the bed...totally badass.

The dude with the Indian Headress - tasteless & hysterical.

Strip Monopoly.

The kick-ass orignial theatrical poster - one of the best ever.

Zillamon51
02-09-2009, 11:27 PM
In antici... pation of the new movie, I've been re-watching all of the Jason flicks. They all have their good and bad points. Overall, my longtime fave is Part VI: Jason Lives. It's slick look and fun (not sleazy) humor make it stand out from the pack. The characters are actually fun and likeable, and the dialogue is snappy. The unstoppable "zombie Jason" is introduced, and I like that version of the character. He would be perfected in look and performance by Kane Hodder in Part VII: The New Blood, but I hate the edited kills in that one. The director of Part VI wisely foresaw this problem, and filmed different versions of each kill. So even though they're not very gory, the film flows much better than the next one.

uradouche
02-10-2009, 12:37 AM
I have to say - Jason Goes to Hell! Not for purists - but adds a great layer to the myth and great acting, writing and gore to boot!

thrashard76
02-10-2009, 11:12 AM
My vote goes to Part VII: The New Blood. Jason finally meets a formidable foe in the likes of a girl with psychokinesis. The final battle between Jason and Tina is the highlight of the movie and with the gritty and gory look of the film, it tops out at no. 1 for me.

NightAndFog
02-10-2009, 02:10 PM
Even though it pretty much negates part 1, there's a reason the remake has been sold as a redux version of part 2.Besides that, it was my first slasher viewing experience, it made me a degenerate fan of horror flicks (for better or worse).I loved the overall direction of Steve Miner (hence I resent his lack of interest in the series) and his attention to detail.The last girl standing discovering the creepy altar made to honour the head of Mrs. Vorhees and her idea of using the deceased clothes to fool Jason was a genius move, and a disturbing one at that!
So, FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 2 is my pick.

Vincent Pina
02-10-2009, 02:47 PM
I liked Part 2. I thought it was really cool that even though it was Jason's first kill, he didn't do it at the Lake. He ventured out and found Alice, stalked her and killed her in her home. That's fucked up!

addicted2dvd
02-10-2009, 02:56 PM
I would have to say part 1... I liked it the best because it is what started it all... and maybe because I was so young when I first saw it... it is the only one that put even the slights amount of fear into me. The sequels were good... but really for the most part just more of the same.

hegemon13
02-10-2009, 03:03 PM
I have to pick part II. I love the sackhead Jason, and I think he is more of an actual character in this movie. Also, the movie has a lot more tension than most of the others, characters that you actually care (a little) about, some great kills, and it isn't too neutered by the MPAA. Part IV is a close second, for basically the same reasons. However, I found some of the characters in part IV to be just a little too goofy, which knocked the tension down a bit. Part IV easily has the best ending in the series, though.

Tempest77
02-10-2009, 10:04 PM
I'm going to base my pick on theatrical experience, in which case I've got to go with part VII. The sleeping bag kill was the only time other then when the death star blew up that I witnessed an entire audience burst into applause.
However, part 1 is the only one that still scares me.

xdiggler
02-10-2009, 11:28 PM
I would have to say The Final Chapter. It has the best cast and some great kills. Could have used a little more T & A, but ya got Corey Feldman, "The Computer", a dead fuck! and the awesome machete slide that Jason does at the end.

Killer stuff!

SpaceAce
02-10-2009, 11:52 PM
Part 3 by a slight margin. The hockey mask first appears and the charaqcters were fun and goofy. (part three barely edges out part 1 and 4 though)

anthony1138
02-11-2009, 04:14 PM
I always have a hard time choosing between Part 1 and Part 4. Part 1 started it all, and it's so classic. But I think I have to go with Part 4, because I grew up watching the Tommy Jarvis films and it's the best one.

boycrieswolf
02-11-2009, 08:15 PM
I'd have to go with Final Chapter...lots of kitcshy 80's cool abundant in that one. Crispin Glover and that bleach blonde punker chick doing the robot dance in her room...priceless.

Cardiac Tom
02-12-2009, 05:33 AM
My favorite is Part 2

This was the first Friday the 13th I seen, so it is nostalgic for me...I saw Part 1 shortly after, and liked it as well...perhaps if I saw that first that would be my favorite...

Anyway, I love Jason's look in this...the baghead will always be my favorite. There was a pretty tense atmosphere throughout the film, Amy Steel was great as Ginny and probably my favorite of the final girls...Jason's shack was cool as was the shrine...There was quite a bit of attention to detail in parts and in others, not so much...plus it boosted some kills from Mario Bava's Bay of Blood...

Suicide
02-12-2009, 02:02 PM
I've always like Part VI the best. Return of the Living Dead is my favorite movie so seeing Thom Matthews fighting Jason is very entertaining to me. Part 3 is always right behind it for me though.

HellRazor
02-12-2009, 02:31 PM
The Final Chapter is my favorite. For one thing, I really dug the twins in that movie. :) Otherwise, it seemed to me that the series hit its peak around this time. By this time the Jason Hockey Mask (tm) was entrenched as Jason's permanent "look", the movie moved at a brisk pace, and it was at this point in the series where you really started to root for Jason to kill the teens, who by this time had become really annoying assholes for the most part.

But yeah. The twins. Yum.

Bobbywoodhogan
02-12-2009, 03:32 PM
My favourite is Friday the 13th part VI: Jason Lives, its the most fun of the series and has some creative kills without the necessity for gore i.e. the head through the side of the caravan. CJ Graham started something with Jason in this one and is near perfect. Love the whole gothic 80s feel to this movie.

Lone Wolf
02-12-2009, 05:05 PM
The Final Chapter just edges out Part 2 for me.

stl7dust
02-12-2009, 05:25 PM
Friday the 13th Part 6 Jason Lives has to be my favorite for the kills alone. Jason impales a guy with a cemetery gate rod and then hoists him over his head like its nothing. Plus, the whole head-smashed-into-camper-and-make-a-facial-impression death is just an fun and hardcore death.

indiephantom
02-12-2009, 06:48 PM
The holy trinity of these films for me will always be parts 4-6. Recently, I've come to enjoy Friday the 13th Part V: A New Beginning most of all. I find "Jason" to be refreshing in this one. I like the weirdness of the casting and of course, those breasts. I rarely watch just Friday on its own, but if I had to...this would be the one. But if I think too long, I'm just as likely to change my vote to Final Chapter...and yes, those twins are lovely.:sperm:

silentbilbo
02-13-2009, 11:24 AM
The Final Chapter for me. Corey Feldman is the MAN!!:banana:

Alan Smithee
02-13-2009, 05:22 PM
I have to go with Final Chapter. It has Crispin Glover, Corey Feldman, Tom Savini's fx, and what I thought at the time was a great conclusion to the series. What more could you ask for?

Matt89
02-14-2009, 06:24 AM
One stroke before midnight, huh rhett? ;)

~Matt

shithead
02-15-2009, 07:57 AM
So then......yeah.

Zombie Dude
02-15-2009, 11:02 AM
So then......yeah.

Do we actually find out who wins or are private emails sent?

CrazyFatEthel
02-15-2009, 06:49 PM
Are we ever going to find out who won?!?

Copyboy
02-15-2009, 07:52 PM
We just had a Friday the 13th AND a bloody Valentine's Day one right after the other. And now Rhett's missing. WTF?!

uradouche
02-16-2009, 01:03 AM
yeah - i have some best buy coupons that run out tomorrow - don't want to buy if I don't have to...

indiephantom
02-16-2009, 01:23 AM
Still no word. Getting worried about Rhett.

Workshed
02-16-2009, 03:30 AM
I'm sure he's fine. The internet connectivity is pretty unreliable in Nilbog.

KamuiX
02-16-2009, 03:43 AM
He may have went to see the new Friday and is at this very moment spiraling even deeper into massive depression :p

Mutilated Prey
02-16-2009, 03:43 AM
Goodness - y'all calm down. Rhett will letcha know if you won.

He's probably drooling all over himself after seeing the Friday the 13th remake and needs some rehab time :D

Zombie Dude
02-16-2009, 04:21 AM
Goodness - y'all calm down. Rhett will letcha know if you won.

He's probably drooling all over himself after seeing the Friday the 13th remake and needs some rehab time :D

Still, you'd think he would have let us know what's going on.

Maybe he bailed and went on a holiday.:rolleyes:

Mutilated Prey
02-16-2009, 04:30 AM
Still, you'd think he would have let us know what's going on.

Maybe he bailed and went on a holiday.:rolleyes:

Maybe Dave's not paying him enough :rolleyes:

Zombie Dude
02-16-2009, 04:32 AM
Maybe Dave's not paying him enough :rolleyes:

:lol: Dammit Dave, look what you've done.

Darkside
02-16-2009, 01:20 PM
Look what you did to Rhett!

th3480
02-16-2009, 02:48 PM
..thanks to all of you for recommending "The Final Chapter." I watched it this weekend from Netflix, and it was really good. I still have to go with Part I as my all-time fav (you just can't beat that Kevin Bacon kill), but Part IV is now my second fav. I pretty much bailed on the series after Part III - ugh. I have seen the new version of the film, and it pales in comparison to "The Final Chapter."

Why? Because Corey Feldman freakin' owned that movie...its a shame he can't pull it together and put out more decent work. Although...that song he sang to his wife on that reality show was pretty horrifying...hmmmmmm....

Anyway, while we're waiting to find out who won, I just wanted to pass along my thanks for recommending such a underrated film.

maybrick
02-16-2009, 03:04 PM
Word has it that Rhett took all of the F13 goods and has fled the country. Interpol has been informed of the situation.

killit
02-17-2009, 12:58 AM
damn, I've never anticipated losing so much

Matt89
02-17-2009, 01:49 AM
Word has it that Rhett took all of the F13 goods and has fled the country. Interpol has been informed of the situation.

Nobody will do anything about it, trust me....it's CANADA here. Nobody cares. ;)

~Matt

rhett
02-17-2009, 01:55 AM
Sorry for the delay, my friends! I was away filming a movie of my own, and scheduling got the better of me and I wasn't able to be online for the weekend. I am now, though, so here's the news you've all been waiting for...

The three winners for the FRIDAY THE 13TH contest are:

anthony1138
pdw
Workshed

Congrats, guys! Once I get your addresses I'll ship these suckers out right away. Thanks to everyone who participated...over 100 replies! It's been great seeing all the Jason love. Now if only I can find time to actually see the remake.

captain_brandon
02-17-2009, 02:04 AM
Congrads to all of the winners you guys! Even if I didn't win anything, ah well, there's always next month. Again congrads ...

Mitbox
02-17-2009, 02:07 AM
Glad to see Rhett's Ok, I was a little worried. Now not so glad about not winning a Jason...congratulations to the lucky winners (3D glasses included?)

othervoice1
02-17-2009, 02:08 AM
Yes Congrats winners - Hope everyone had a great Friday the 13th last week! We got one next month too and 3 this year- weird!

vampyr789
02-17-2009, 02:09 AM
Congrats to the winners!

Shock Waves
02-17-2009, 02:35 AM
Congrats ya'll! :D

Workshed
02-17-2009, 03:03 AM
Hell yeah! Thanks, Rhett and Horrordigital! This is my first win here!

:banana::joshua:

MorallySound
02-17-2009, 03:14 AM
Congrats to the winners!

Mutilated Prey
02-17-2009, 03:31 AM
Congrats Yo!

Zombie Dude
02-17-2009, 04:43 AM
Whoo, Friday 13th!

Oh, and congrats to those who won.:D

Zombie Dude
02-17-2009, 04:52 AM
By the way rhett, is there going to be a review for Part 3?

KamuiX
02-17-2009, 05:46 AM
The fact that I lost yet again is much more of an issue than knowing rhett still breathes :lol:

thrashard76
02-17-2009, 08:41 AM
Congrats to the winners.

baggio
02-17-2009, 03:53 PM
Congrats to the Winners!

spawningblue
02-17-2009, 04:01 PM
I'm sure he's fine. The internet connectivity is pretty unreliable in Nilbog.

:lol:

Oh, and congrats guys!

addicted2dvd
02-17-2009, 04:25 PM
Congrats to all the winners! http://sc.webmessenger.msn.com/10.1.0323.0/session/images/emoticons/smile_regular.gif

marcx
02-17-2009, 07:46 PM
congrats folks...

Darkside
02-17-2009, 11:42 PM
Congrats!

bigdaddyhorse
02-19-2009, 10:27 PM
Hell yeah! Thanks, Rhett and Horrordigital! This is my first win here!

:banana::joshua:

Double congrats to you Mr. Shed!

While I'm kinda bummed I won't be sweeping the random contests this year, it's good to see some fimiliar names winning.

Nothing against the other winners, I just don't know those dudes.:)

The fact that I lost yet again is much more of an issue than knowing rhett still breathes :lol:

Keep the faith, someday it will happen.
I still never won on dvdreview despite entering approx. 15,472 random contests there.
Then again, I did win on dvdcompare, first and only contest.:)

The sun shined a bit brighter and the birds sounded happier today, knowing Rhett still breathes. Now if he could breathe away some of those retarded asshole drivers...

AndresG
02-19-2009, 10:50 PM
Part 3 is my all-time absolutely favorite, the 1st "real" development of Jason Voorhees character in all his extension!

Btw, congrats to the winners!

Workshed
02-20-2009, 03:23 AM
Double congrats to you Mr. Shed!

thanks, bud.

Erick H.
02-20-2009, 05:38 AM
Congrats guys !

captain_brandon
02-21-2009, 06:24 PM
Congrads once again, everyone, and now let's bring on the latest contest now that this has well ended :D

rhett
02-22-2009, 04:42 PM
Whoo, Friday 13th!

Oh, and congrats to those who won.:D

Yeah, definitely. Chalk it up to being too busy to get it out on time, but expect it this coming week here along with HIS NAME WAS JASON.

Zombie Dude
02-22-2009, 08:22 PM
Yeah, definitely. Chalk it up to being too busy to get it out on time, but expect it this coming week here along with HIS NAME WAS JASON.

Nice. Thanks a lot rhett, I'll be looking forward to it.