PDA

View Full Version : Army of Darkness: Screwhead Edition 5/19

X-human
02-13-2009, 11:40 PM
Universal Studios Home Entertainment has announced that they will bring Sam Raimi's 'Army of Darkness: Screwhead Edition' to Blu-ray on May 19th, day-and-date with the DVD release. Coming on a BD-25, video will be presented in 1.85:1 1080p VC-1 accompanied by a 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack.

Extras for this release include:

* U-CONTROL: Universal's exclusive signature feature, U-Control puts viewers one click away from going deeper into the making of the film without ever leaving the movie
o PRODUCTION PHOTOS: Access interactive production photos from the set without interruption to the movie experience.

* BD-LIVE(TM): Access the BD-Live(TM) Center through your Internet-connected player to get even more content, watch the latest trailers, and more!

* MY SCENES: Pick your favorite scenes from the film to create your own video montage.

* ALTERNATE ENDING: See the original ending planned for the film.

* DELETED SCENES: Additional scenes that never played in theaters.

* THE MEN BEHIND THE ARMY: Go behind-the-scenes with star Bruce Campbell.

* ADDITIONAL FOOTAGE: See extra footage shot for the film.

* FEATURE COMMENTARY with director Sam Raimi, star Bruce Campbell, and co-writer Ivan Raimi

* THEATRICAL TRAILER: The original promotional trailer for the theatrical release http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=2401

I thought the commentary track they did was for the so-called director's cut. This looks to be the theatrical version so, will this be a new commentary track?

dave13
02-13-2009, 11:55 PM
ever since my LE directors cut and anchor bay theatrical cut were stolen a few years back ive been waiting for this to get released again. to be honest, i was hoping anchor bay would release a book of the dead edition to go along with my copies of the first 2, but i guess with the rights back in uni's hands, thats not gonna happen (damn!). I hope this effectively replaces those other releases. i preferred the theatrical to the "director's" cut, so as long as all the alternate footage is included, I'll be happy with this. but yeah, whats up with the commentary? are they just gonna throw the old one on top of the theatrical cut? that would be weird (although better than not having it at all....or a new one....that commentary was gold, and i can't imagine a new one would be as good). my fingers are crossed.

Katatonia
02-14-2009, 12:16 AM
I'll certainly wait to see some reviews first. I'm happy enough with the MGM R3 release.

killit
02-14-2009, 02:09 AM
isnt a bd25 bad?

KillerCannabis
02-14-2009, 02:10 AM
Personally, I don't really care if this is the DC or the TC. I own enough editions of this movie that I'm covered. I'll be picking it up.

fceurich39
02-14-2009, 02:59 AM
i still have my OOP army of darkness boomstick edition dvd i might just hold onto to that rather than getting this

X-human
02-14-2009, 03:56 AM
The original HD-DVD was on a 15gb disc so while a 50gb disc would be great this is still an improvement. If they redo the transfer or not and utilize the space is a different question. I doubt it.

Erick H.
02-14-2009, 06:52 AM
What is the difference between this new Blu disc and the old ''Boomstick" release in terms of extras ? Any of it carry over or is there a new set of extras on this disc ?

Dave
02-14-2009, 10:49 AM
i am sure they could just cut out the commentary for scenes from the directors cut to keep it synced up.

I will get this. i almost got the hd-dvd but i am glad i waited.

rxfiend
02-14-2009, 01:43 PM
Despite being on a 15GB disc, I thought the HD-DVD looked great. I bet Universal just uses the same transfer, though I am surprised they are adding extras. Isn't this a first for Universal to release AOD with extra features?

Horrorphilly
02-14-2009, 01:47 PM
I'll certainly wait to see some reviews first. I'm happy enough with the MGM R3 release.

I hear ya, I own the R3 dvd and the single disc AB disc.I have no need for this.

sean

Dave
02-14-2009, 02:15 PM
Despite being on a 15GB disc, I thought the HD-DVD looked great. I bet Universal just uses the same transfer, though I am surprised they are adding extras. Isn't this a first for Universal to release AOD with extra features?

Yup! Probably had to license them from AB.

buck135
02-14-2009, 05:22 PM
The HD-DVD transfer was gorgeous. I will definitely be picking this up. Now if we can get Evil Dead in blu...

Grim
02-14-2009, 07:20 PM
Meh, I'll wait for a director's cut release.

Harry Warden
02-14-2009, 07:25 PM
i still have my oop army of darkness boomstick edition dvd i might just hold onto to that rather than getting this

ditto!

Regurgitate
02-14-2009, 07:27 PM
I had the HD DVD and thought it was pretty damn nice. I will have to get this, oh yeah, groovy.

zombi3
02-15-2009, 04:31 PM
It would have been nice to have both cuts on this Blu release, like the old Anchor Bay DVDs, but without the crappy looking inserts for the director's cut.

Myron Breck
02-15-2009, 04:56 PM
Even if I had gone Blu already, I wouldn't bite. It's the same old stuff but with a better picture. I don't watch my S-DVD set often enough to be impressed.

KR~!
02-15-2009, 06:32 PM
I will be picking this up!

spawningblue
02-17-2009, 08:26 PM
I will definitely be grabbing this. Seems like all the extras from previous versions will be included minus the stills, but hopefully they will be in the U-Control. Disappointing it doesn't include both version of the movie, but I guess I can at least sell off my theatrical cut DVD, and just keep my limited Director's Cut DVD.

evildeadfan123
02-17-2009, 09:35 PM
I will be getting this, even though I have The Boomstick edition.

mlock
02-23-2009, 12:31 PM
I plan to wait before doing an upgrade to hi-def. I still have my Ltd Ed 2-disc set from 1999 which has the original poster art on the cover. I realize the transfer on the dir cut is from a crappy workprint, but I prefer the theatrical version anyway and it has all the same features from the seemingly endless versions that followed. I'm sure 10 more versions will be released on blu ray before I get around to picking it up again!

Shannafey
02-23-2009, 02:27 PM
I plan to wait before doing an upgrade to hi-def. I still have my Ltd Ed 2-disc set from 1999 which has the original poster art on the cover. I realize the transfer on the dir cut is from a crappy workprint, but I prefer the theatrical version anyway and it has all the same features from the seemingly endless versions that followed. I'm sure 10 more versions will be released on blu ray before I get around to picking it up again!

Same way I feel! I have the 99 set as well and like the theatrical cut more.

Katatonia
02-24-2009, 03:00 AM
but I prefer the theatrical version anyway

I felt the same way...when I owned one of the old Anchor Bay DVD editions with the crappy quality workprint scenes. However, after getting the R3 MGM release I much prefer that cut of the film. The added scenes are pristine, and the overall A/V quality of the film is superior to any R1 DVD release.

If MGM/Fox still holds the R3 release rights to the film, I'd love to see them release a Blu-ray of that cut.

SickNick89
02-26-2009, 02:29 AM
Can I buy this movie again?? I know it's hi-def but I must've bought this fuckin thing 20 times. I feel like I buy it more than I watch it.

Workshed
02-26-2009, 05:13 AM
I feel like I buy it more than I watch it.

:lol:

it's funny because it's true.

vampyr789
02-26-2009, 05:26 AM
i havent bought this movie yet...so i will get this one. from looking at past editions, it looks like they are missing the Director's storyboards and Production stills. oh well, i guess i will also wait for a director's cut DVD, which will hopefully have those features & the audio commentary and cleaned up transfer (from what ive read that the past editions have not-so-good image on the Dir. cut

spawningblue
02-26-2009, 06:39 PM
i havent bought this movie yet...so i will get this one. from looking at past editions, it looks like they are missing the Director's storyboards and Production stills. oh well, i guess i will also wait for a director's cut DVD, which will hopefully have those features & the audio commentary and cleaned up transfer (from what ive read that the past editions have not-so-good image on the Dir. cut

Yeah I'm disappointed by that, but I have a feeling most of the pics will show up in the U Control, as it mentions Production Photos show up on screen while watching. It's really disappointing they aren't including the Director's Cut of the film as well though. But as long as they include all the photos from the regular DVD I can at least sell that one off and just keep my limited edition Director's Cut DVD.

fceurich39
02-26-2009, 07:31 PM
so there is no new special feature's for the upcoming blu-ray and dvd release

Cantona07
02-26-2009, 09:17 PM
I have the region 2 release on bluray. The picture quality is much better than the standard dvd version.

SickNick89
02-27-2009, 02:17 AM
director's cut DVD, which will hopefully have those features & the audio commentary and cleaned up transfer (from what ive read that the past editions have not-so-good image on the Dir. cut

Unlike the previous US releases were the added footage was taken from various workprint sources the new R3 disc's footage is taken directly from the negative and fits in flawlessly.

Dan Gosse
03-17-2009, 12:29 PM
The best release to my knowledge is the MGM R3 DVD.

Two questions:

1.) Is the UK Blu-ray a different cut than the MGM R3 DVD.
2.) Is the picture quality of the UK Blu-ray superior to the MGM R3 DVD.

As an aside, there has been talk in this thread about the upcoming Screwhead Blu-ray being a BD-25 disc. I was wondering how I can tell if my commercial Blu-rays are BD-25 or BD-50 discs? Looking at the packaging of my BLADE RUNNER and SKY HIGH Blu-rays , for example, I can find nothing pertaining to this.

Best
Dan

fceurich39
05-04-2009, 07:50 PM
remember this title has it been delayed or cancelledor something no websites show it anywhere also dvdaf says not announced for the blu-ray and dvd

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/army-of-darkness4.html?page=2

X-human
05-05-2009, 12:02 AM
It was officially announced but yeah it looks like it's been delayed now. Hopefully because they're going to do a remastering, perhaps in time for Drag Me to Hell's Blu-ray release?

vampyr789
06-02-2009, 02:34 AM
well, its June 1st. and its still up for Pre-order on Amazon.....
its not even listed on DVDEmpire.

rhett
06-02-2009, 06:26 AM
What's the point? Pick the HD-DVD up for a couple bucks and just hang on to the SD Director's Cut. Universal shouldn't be seeing any money until they remaster the director's cut.

X-human
06-02-2009, 09:38 AM
^ Why remaster that? Even Sam Raimi was blasting the so called "director's cut" as being pretty terrible. That's not something needed in HD.

The HD-DVD master may not have been done with HD in mind, just SD downconversion. So a fresh take on it could be good if they do that. Just slip the boobies back in and call it good to go. :D

Katatonia
06-02-2009, 11:15 AM
^ Why remaster that? Even Sam Raimi was blasting the so called "director's cut" as being pretty terrible. That's not something needed in HD.

That's a matter of opinion really. I much prefer the extended cut to the theatrical cut, especially when you can see it in good condition, i.e. the MGM R3 DVD.

Grim
06-02-2009, 04:50 PM
Universal shouldn't be seeing any money until they remaster the director's cut.

Agreed. I'm holding off. Bought this title one too many times.

RidgeShark
06-02-2009, 07:17 PM
From the Digital Bits - Army of Darkness: Screwhead Edition streets on 9/15 as well (SRP $19.98 and $26.98). Both versions include the Creating the Deadites featurette, an alternate ending and the film's theatrical trailer. The Blu-ray will also include BD-Live access. Again, audio is Dolby Digital 5.1 on DVD and DTS-HD MA 5.1 on Blu-ray.

RidgeShark
07-13-2009, 05:45 PM
-delete-

rxfiend
07-13-2009, 06:05 PM
9/15? I take it "Drag Me to Hell" will hit DVD/Blu at that time as well?

Grim
07-13-2009, 06:07 PM
Blegh. No director's cut, no sale.

fceurich39
07-13-2009, 06:09 PM
9/15? I take it "Drag Me to Hell" will hit DVD/Blu at that time as well?

i hope not i am going to be broke in sept and oct like always

anyway i won't be getting army of darkness screwhead edition dvd or blu-ray i am perfectly happy with my boomstick edition also the new american werewolf full moon edition is coming that day as well now that i'll double dip on

vampyr789
07-13-2009, 10:14 PM
they aren't keeping the old extras??? i still dont even have the movie for the sole reason that i cant decide which DVD to get....if this had all the previous extras and a CLEANED UP Director's cut transfer i would most definitely...god i hate how Anchor Bay and Universal keep screwing with us!! its a damn cult classic why cant this be the fuckin final DVD??? just watch next year there will be another one!

what ever happened to the planned extras from the first post?
* DELETED SCENES: Additional scenes that never played in theaters.

* THE MEN BEHIND THE ARMY: Go behind-the-scenes with star Bruce Campbell.

* ADDITIONAL FOOTAGE: See extra footage shot for the film.

and on the director's cut, there is an audio commentary, which i hear is good

wow Universal, thanks for nothing

russweiss
07-20-2009, 02:58 AM
I've bought this film four times already. First on bootleg VHS (most extended version I've seen), then Japanese laserdisc, and two DVD versions.

fattyjoe37
07-22-2009, 11:11 PM
I have the boomstick edition. I'm done buying Army of Darkness unless it has all of the previously released bonus features.

Workshed
07-22-2009, 11:17 PM
I've bought this film four times already. First on bootleg VHS (most extended version I've seen), then Japanese laserdisc, and two DVD versions.

Yeah, I've got that one too. Found it online many years ago, in the early days of The Internet, and ordered it right away. Think I paid by check :lol:.

vampyr789
07-25-2009, 06:53 PM
the blu ray is now up for Pre-order on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0025VLEMK/ref=nosim?tag=dvdbeaver-20&link_code=as3&creativeASIN=B0025VLEMK&creative=373489&camp=211189)

Grim
07-26-2009, 02:35 AM
I have a feeling Universal has learned from AB and is going to milk us for all it's worth on blu-ray with AOD.

X-human
07-26-2009, 03:47 AM
the blu ray is now up for Pre-order on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0025VLEMK/ref=nosim?tag=dvdbeaver-20&link_code=as3&creativeASIN=B0025VLEMK&creative=373489&camp=211189)

It's also gone up in price, from $19.99 to $26.99. What the fuck is that? Standard Amazon discount of MSRP is 30%, not 10%.

I'm not going for it until it's below $20 again.

pacinofan
09-08-2009, 12:07 AM
Uuuggg. I just sold my "boom stick edition" to upgrade to the Blu-ray (I realry upgrade from DVD to blu-ray) and now realize the BD doesn't port over all the special features!!! Hopefully I can buy it back.

Katatonia
09-08-2009, 02:28 AM
Uuuggg. I just sold my "boom stick edition" to upgrade to the Blu-ray (I realry upgrade from DVD to blu-ray) and now realize the BD doesn't port over all the special features!!! Hopefully I can buy it back.

I never sell off my old editions before getting the new edition for that reason, along with other A/V quality reasons. Even if it's a rare DVD that I could sell for a few bucks more in the meantime, I keep it first just to be safe. Sometimes I even decide against buying a newer edition. I'd certainly hate to have to buy back an old edition for more than I sold it for. :evil:

2D4EVER
09-08-2009, 02:42 AM
It's also gone up in price, from $19.99 to $26.99. What the fuck is that? Standard Amazon discount of MSRP is 30%, not 10%.

I'm not going for it until it's below $20 again.

It's 18.99. I might get it but I will wait for some reviews first. I still have the first 2 disc LE set with the theatrical and directors cut. Shit that was released a long time ago. I think this was the third dvd I ever bought. Right after Blade Runner and The Matrix.

Vlachio
09-08-2009, 12:52 PM
Found a pretty good review. I want this blu ray so bad.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare/army-theatrical.htm :freak:

Grim
09-08-2009, 02:21 PM
Arrrggghhhhh! The pic quality looks great! I just wish it included the director's cut.

Vlachio
09-08-2009, 03:03 PM
Arrrggghhhhh! The pic quality looks great! I just wish it included the director's cut.

Ya know your going to buy it so stfu!!!!!! ;)

Grim
09-08-2009, 03:43 PM
Ya know your going to buy it so stfu!!!!!! ;)

I personally think I'll be able to hold off. The only other film that I bought on blu knowing there would be an eventual second release was Terminator 2, and that's because the blu was like $7.

AndresG
09-08-2009, 04:07 PM
Found a pretty good review. I want this blu ray so bad.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare/army-theatrical.htm :freak:

wow, those blu-ray stills look so freaking good that I might end up buying it :D

Workshed
09-08-2009, 05:42 PM
damn, those screencaps are very nice.

2D4EVER
09-08-2009, 06:35 PM
That is quite an improvement.

spawningblue
09-09-2009, 07:07 AM
That does look pretty good. And although I was going to hold off on it since it is missing extras from both previous DVDs, it looks like it includes a new documentary so I guess I will just have to won three copies of this movie to have the complete collection. I hate owning several copies of a movie, but this is one of my favourites so i will make an exception.

grodd
09-12-2009, 03:59 AM
That does look pretty good. And although I was going to hold off on it since it is missing extras from both previous DVDs, it looks like it includes a new documentary so I guess I will just have to won three copies of this movie to have the complete collection. I hate owning several copies of a movie, but this is one of my favourites so i will make an exception.

I got a copy a few days ago. Its a different print than the HD DVD for those wondering. Its a slightly cleaner print. Seems a touch brighter also. The new HD documentary is nice, but the alternate ending quality is super low quality. Looked like VHS.

indiephantom
09-12-2009, 06:23 AM
I heart Blu-ray.

Grim
09-12-2009, 10:24 AM
Ugh. I really want to hold off until Universal gets some balls and releases the (extremely tame) Director's Cut on blu, but this is sooooo tempting.

Vlachio
09-12-2009, 04:58 PM
Ugh. I really want to hold off until Universal gets some balls and releases the (extremely tame) Director's Cut on blu, but this is sooooo tempting.

ahem ahem :blabla:

Grim
09-12-2009, 05:26 PM
ahem ahem :blabla:

I'll be strong, though, and wait. Unless I find it for cheap somewhere.

X-human
09-19-2009, 08:39 PM
Lackluster transfer; again: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1180060

It looks like they applied more EE and DNR in response to the mediocre HD-DVD reviews. Lovely. Since they release a new version every lunar cycle, I think I'll hold off.

indiephantom
09-20-2009, 12:52 AM
Lackluster transfer; again: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1180060

It looks like they applied more EE and DNR in response to the mediocre HD-DVD reviews. Lovely. Since they release a new version every lunar cycle, I think I'll hold off.

I know you're a discriminating collector, but I really was pleased with this transfer. I've seen an incredibly mixed bag as far as response goes, but this easily blows away the Anchor Bay version I have. But sadly, this doesn't have the frigging director's cut...and that version I have never owned on DVD either.

budbud
09-25-2009, 10:41 PM
Picked this up last on night on Blu at my local Meijers for 13 bucks and got a free 5 dollar Halloween candy voucher too

CaptHowdy
09-30-2009, 08:37 AM
As someone who has owned probably every version of AOD at one point or another, this is the best I have ever seen the film. I take my A/V pretty seriously and I think people who are bitching (especially based on little screenshots) about picture quality on this need to lighten up. Just my opinion.

captain_brandon
09-30-2009, 08:47 AM
Meh, I'll pass on this one. I honestly was never too into Army of Darkness. Don't know why, but I was never all that amused by it. To each they're own, of course.

X-human
09-30-2009, 10:07 AM
As someone who has owned probably every version of AOD at one point or another, this is the best I have ever seen the film. I take my A/V pretty seriously and I think people who are bitching (especially based on little screenshots) about picture quality on this need to lighten up. Just my opinion.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u98/adzez/Army%20Of%20Darkness/b7fcb73c.png

The transfer looks to of been DNR'ed into a smeary mess and the EE cranked to 11. That was for HD-DVD. Then they ran it through a second time for Blu-ray just to make sure there's no detail but only halos left. Not even exaggerating.

They're going to release the damn thing again, and I own the MGM disc (not in the DVD Beaver comparison) which looks 10x better than any other DVD. So I'll wait. Who knows, maybe they'll get it right next time. My money's better spent on people who do the job right the first time.

CaptHowdy
09-30-2009, 09:08 PM
Again, basing image quality on a screencap (which you have no idea if it's been tinkered with or not) is pointless. I know what I like to see in a transfer, and on my setup, I didn't see any of that mess in that horrible screencap.

But hey, it's a free country, we buy what we want and skip what we don't right?

grodd
10-01-2009, 01:05 AM

The transfer looks to of been DNR'ed into a smeary mess and the EE cranked to 11. That was for HD-DVD. Then they ran it through a second time for Blu-ray just to make sure there's no detail but only halos left. Not even exaggerating.

They're going to release the damn thing again, and I own the MGM disc (not in the DVD Beaver comparison) which looks 10x better than any other DVD. So I'll wait. Who knows, maybe they'll get it right next time. My money's better spent on people who do the job right the first time.

That scene isn't very representative of the whole movie at all. That's probably the worst example. That's just one of Zylons screen shots. Most scenes are just slightly sharper with more detail. Some have dirt cleaned up and removed. Some also have more EE making slightly larger halos. They certainly tinkered with the transfer. But above all its slightly sharper due to a higher bit rate. Most of the time I like it better than the HD DVD. Although at times its worse.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1180060 DVD beaver has more screenshots.
I also wish they would use the MGM master for an HD version. But as a DVD it certainly doesn't have the detail as the HD versions. Another copy to seek out is the Primitive Screwhead edition fan edit. It was made with all of the best non HD sources known, plus the TV scenes (from the Sci Fi channel) added in.

CaptHowdy
10-01-2009, 03:20 AM
Holy crap...thanks so much for that link, grodd. Regardless of what this Blu Ray looks like, after seeing people bitch and moan about missing HAIRS in that thread, and taking the time to watch and make screencaps from 10 different sources, my life suddenly looks more worthwhile. Thanks!

indiephantom
10-05-2009, 09:56 PM
The DVD Beaver review poster earlier is accurate. Honestly, one of the best recent catalog titles in my collection as far as PQ.

shithead
02-21-2012, 04:23 AM
So, is this worth 10 bucks?

Some people say it looks decent enough, others say it looks like shit...

SaxCatz
02-21-2012, 04:36 AM

10 bucks is probably the right price. It is definitely an improvement over the DVD; however, the typical Universal sharpening and edge enhancement is on especially egregious display here.

buck135
02-21-2012, 08:17 AM

It's one of those films that I think looks amazing, though I am not a good source as a videophile. From the very beginning when he's in the chain gang I recall saying "Holy shit!" at how pristine it looked. However after further reading, that's because our friends at Universal had their fun with DNR and EE. If you like the movie, get it for $9.99. If you're an Evil Dead fanatic the way I am about the first three Romero Dead films, look to spend more to import superior versions (with the high resolution deleted scenes intact).

shithead
02-21-2012, 08:51 AM
Thanks guys!^

What about the Optimum UK Blu? Anyone here own that? Is the PQ better than the Universal release? It's dirt cheap on Amazon UK, $11 shipped!

Katatonia
02-21-2012, 09:34 AM
Thanks guys!^

What about the Optimum UK Blu? Anyone here own that? Is the PQ better than the Universal release? It's dirt cheap on Amazon UK, $11 shipped!

Bluray.com gave the UK Blu-ray 4 stars in the Video category.

The covers display the "MGM" logo (instead of Universal), but other than that I don't know how the two Blu-rays compare to each other. The UK release is "B" region locked though.

buck135
02-21-2012, 09:41 AM
Bluray.com gave the UK Blu-ray 4 stars in the Video category.

The covers display the "MGM" logo (instead of Universal), but other than that I don't know how the two Blu-rays compare to each other. The UK release is "B" region locked though.

I believe this is the best version but of course, it's region locked. If those upcoming Hammer Blu's are region locked as well, I'm going region free and I'll look into this version of AOD.

Hellbilly
02-21-2012, 10:08 AM

I'd say it depends on how well your LCD or plasma is adjusted. I watched the Blu-ray (with LCD factory setting) in 2009 and was sort of disappointed with the video quality, plus there was distracting shimmer/noise to be seen on the Chainmail Vests.

Had my LCD calibrated in 2011 and viola - Army of Darkness looks quite stunning most of the time. Gone is the noise, and the image offers more natural looking fine detail, even though I had to turn down sharpness ("0") during calibration (factory setting was +7).

Something people should look into. It makes a whole lot of difference.

elDomenechHDG
02-21-2012, 03:14 PM
How does one go about finding a qualified calibrator? There isn't a heading under Professional Consumer Television Calibrators in my phone book :-). Thanks.

Oh, and what do they typically charge?

shithead
02-23-2012, 03:52 AM
Here are some screenshot comparisons from the UK Blu (top) vs the US (bottom) Got them from AVS forums...

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/4457/aod1.png
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u98/adzez/Army%20Of%20Darkness/7de39ad0.png
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/8984/aod2.png
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u98/adzez/Army%20Of%20Darkness/76f96f7b.png
http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/7739/aod3.png
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u98/adzez/Army%20Of%20Darkness/a9406d66.png
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/6436/aod4.png
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u98/adzez/Army%20Of%20Darkness/a0d46f23.png
http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/8769/aod5.png

The only one that looks noticeably different to me is the last shot, which has an artificial look to it in the US version. Other than that, they look pretty similar to me.

Might just get the US version...

othervoice1
02-23-2012, 05:01 AM
I finally broke down and bought the R1 Screwhead Edition to round out the series - the first two look amazing on blu- if this one is at least "good" im okay with that. Im sure now I ordered this a new remastered version will be announced

buck135
02-23-2012, 05:07 AM
I finally broke down and bought the R1 Screwhead Edition to round out the series - the first two look amazing on blu- if this one is at least "good" im okay with that. Im sure now I ordered this a new remastered version will be announced

I usually have the same luck, but we're talking about Universal here. We're lucky to have a release at all. They still aren't as bad as Paramount though (Nevermind that the "48.Hrs" Blu-ray looks like a faded Betamax, deal with it!...and don't expect "Another 48.Hrs" to be released on Blu-ray either!).