PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Last House Imaging?

rhett
03-15-2009, 02:10 AM
Who would have thought that Ingmar Bergman of all people would inspire a franchise of horror properties spanning close to forty years now? I suppose we can lay the giallo on Michelangelo Antonioni's shoulders, but still, I'm holding out for some popcorn friendly Bela Tarr remakes.

It all started in 1960 with Bergman's THE VIRGIN SPRING, and then started again in 1972 with Wes Craven's breakout, THE LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT. Flash forward to 2005 and there was David DeFalco's controversial CHAOS, and now in 2009 we are seeing a faithful remake of Craven's picture.

Four different takes on the same 13th century Swedish ballad, which one is your favorite?

Edit: We'll add in some notable imitators, too.

MorallySound
03-15-2009, 02:46 AM
Not my favorite on the list, but what about The Night Train Murders, or House on the Edge of the Park? I know they aren't as close as the other four, but they definitely ripped off the exact same plot devices.

But I gotta go with The Virgin Spring.

CrazyFatEthel
03-15-2009, 03:27 AM
Ugh, Chaos was fucking retarted!!!

rhett
03-15-2009, 04:29 AM
Not my favorite on the list, but what about The Night Train Murders, or House on the Edge of the Park? I know they aren't as close as the other four, but they definitely ripped off the exact same plot devices.

But I gotta go with The Virgin Spring.

I wanted to stick with the originals, but sure, let's throw those two into the mix. :banana:

Horror Junkie
03-15-2009, 11:39 PM
The House on the Edge of the Park for me, I have yet to see the Last House remake but I just can't see it spellbinding me too much... I can't see a major studio keeping the nastier scenes of the 70's original intact. I don't know why everyone says House on the Edge of the Park is so left feild and far fetched, I found it to be very skillfully done and thought provoking aswell. It and Ruggero gets my vote.

Anaestheus
03-16-2009, 01:01 AM
Thanks for throwing in Night Train Murders. Overall, I am not a big fan of these types of films. And. despite it sitting on my shelf right now, I haven't watched Virgin Springs yet.

However, NTM really stands out for me as one of the best. I find it to be a lot more interesting and thought provoking than any of the others. Even though the ending lacks the punch that I think LHOTL provides, I find the social commentary in the film so much more intelligent then the rest of it's 70's kin.

rhett
03-16-2009, 06:34 AM
Last House on the Beach probably should have been included too - fine film that is.

msw7
03-16-2009, 08:20 AM
I'm going to abstain - I haven't seen The Virgin Spring.

I haven't seen all the rest either, but of that group I would go with Last House (1972)

I'm not sure if I'll like the remake, but I'm pretty sure I won't like it more than Craven's original

edit: come to think of it - I haven't seen any of those except Last House 1972 and bits of House on the Edge of the Park. I am a slacker....

Anaestheus
03-16-2009, 11:40 AM
OK, this little poll motivated me to finally sit down and watch my copy of Virgin Springs. It doesn't change my vote, but, damn that is an excellent film. While it is slower moving than it's later counterparts, I was really surprised by how brutal it was both in the rape scene and in the retribution at the end. I wouldn't put it up there with other Bergman films, but it certainly is just as visceral and provocative as LHOTL without the inherent exploitative cruelty or the poorly constructed comic relief.

SaviniFan
03-16-2009, 01:28 PM
I voted for the original Last House but I'd have voted for House on the Edge of the Park had it been there to begin with. So many quotable lines.

snowbeast323
03-16-2009, 07:36 PM
I'll go for the 1972 version of LHOTL

IMO nothing beats a good ol' film that screams 70s....

But it was a difficult choice between LHOTL and House on the Edge of the Park, I also really like that film for some reason....

Matt89
03-16-2009, 11:04 PM
I was really surprised by how brutal it was both in the rape scene and in the retribution at the end. I wouldn't put it up there with other Bergman films, but it certainly is just as visceral and provocative as LHOTL without the inherent exploitative cruelty or the poorly constructed comic relief.

Yeah, I'm more partial to Persona myself. The Virgin Spring is a great film, but I can't really choose a favorite. They're all very different films, and I appreciate The Virgin Spring for what it is, and The Last House on the Left for what it is. Like I said, they're so radically different in tone and presentation that I honestly can't choose. Pass.

~Matt

Harry Warden
03-17-2009, 03:15 AM
Last House on the Left (2009)

spawningblue
03-17-2009, 03:26 AM
Sounds like a lot of people on here are voting before seeing all the movies, mainly the remake.

ReelFear
03-17-2009, 06:02 AM
I voted for the original LHOTL. I've seen all the films listed and that one is the real classic for me. I didn't love the new version, but it's certainly better than some of the other remakes.

indiephantom
03-19-2009, 07:13 AM
Chaos is the one I still haven't managed to get my hands on. I really really like both versions of LAST HOUSE, and HOUSE ON THE EDGE OF THE PARK...but the most shocking and entertainingly depraved film on this list for me is NIGHT TRAIN MURDERS. I loved it.

Angelman
03-19-2009, 07:50 AM
Virgin Spring.

krugerkid13
03-19-2009, 06:06 PM
I have seen all the films listed (excluding Chaos) and the original Last House on the Left is definetly the best.

LivingDeadMafia
03-19-2009, 06:48 PM
The Virgin Spring most definitely

mcchrist
03-25-2009, 04:44 AM
House on the Edge of the Park. It would have been Fight For Your Life if it was up there, maybe Candy Snatchers.

MrVess
03-25-2009, 11:16 PM
Please do not disrespect Demon Dave - or he'll show up in this thread to post and tell you to get into the ring and do it to my face! (http://www.aintitcool.com/talkback_display/24309#comment_1260498) He may not specify what he will want done to his face, in which case let his shorts be a clue:

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/2056/fagj.jpg

CrazyFatEthel
03-25-2009, 11:46 PM
I saw all of them, except I saw only like 30 minutes of Chaos. I thought it was REALLY stupid...

Paul0889
03-26-2009, 04:51 AM
i actually thought Chaos wasn't THAT bad at all...okay well i thought it was decent up until that horrid ending. talk about bullshit. but other than that, i thought it was decent. if you listen to the commentary on the unrated disc, you'll find out that both of the girls are first time actors, and while it shows, i think they did a very decent job. you also find out that the blonde is an actual rape survivor, and was raped at the age of 14 by her karate instructor. pretty brave of her to take on a role like that don't ya think?

mcchrist
03-26-2009, 05:52 AM
I thought Chaos was pretty good, but that last minute or two was a HORRIBLE miss calculation in the film.

ChickenHounk911
03-27-2009, 07:34 PM
The origianl Last House ont he Left was the one for me too. I mean the "biting" scene was just classic!

satans-sadists
04-05-2009, 02:18 AM
Ugly subject matter, but my vote is going to the original Last House on the Left.

aoiookami
04-10-2009, 06:00 PM
My vote goes for the original, Virgin Spring. Runner up would have been House on the Edge of the Park for David Hess, and no (memorable) slapstick comedy.