PDA

View Full Version : Children of the Corn Blu-Ray announced

fceurich39
03-23-2009, 10:52 PM
will probably pass on it since i have the divimax dvd edition but has some new features atleast here's full article or you can click on the link for cover art

He who walks behind the rows will soon be doing so in high definition! Get ready for the date, art, and the specs for the film that started an incomprehensibly long wave of bad sequels!

Anchor Bay will be dropping the original Children of the Corn onto Blu-ray on July 28th, 2009, with some all new hi-def special features to boot courtesy of Red Shirt Pictures! The supplemental material will include the following:

• Audio commentary with Director Fritz Kiersch, Producer Terrence Kirby, and Stars John Franklin and Courtney Gains
• NEW “It Was The Eighties!” (HD) -- Linda Hamilton talks about working on the film, offering great behind-the-scenes stories about the cast and crew
• NEW “Stephen King on a Shoestring” (HD) – Interview with Producer Donald Borchers.
• NEW “Welcome to Gatlin: The Sights and Sounds of Children of the Corn” (HD) – Interview with Production Designer Craig Stearns and Composer Jonathan Elias
• “Harvesting Horror: The Making of Children of the Corn” (SD)
• Fast Film Facts
• Original theatrical trailer
• Poster and still gallery
• Original storyboard and original title sequence art

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/30969/children-corn-blu-ray-art-and-specs

spawningblue
03-24-2009, 12:25 AM
Wow! Did Anchor bay actually make a Blu Ray that not only includes all the previous extras (Including the still and poster galleries!) but added new extras as well! I'll pick it up just on principle so they will continue to make Blu Ray's worth buying. I'm still waiting on a Dawn of the Dead and Halloween re-release on Blu that includes all the previously released extras.

rhett
03-24-2009, 12:32 AM
Nice job, AB. I'm definitely jazzed for this release. The movie isn't all that good, but it's fun in an eighties way, and it looks like the extras should nicely touch upon that.

Katatonia
03-24-2009, 12:55 AM
Awesome! I still have the older DVD, and I'm glad now that I never even got around to picking up the Divimax re-release. :eek2:

Egg_Shen
03-24-2009, 01:05 AM
Oh man, I can't believe this is getting released before Phantasm. I know it has it's fans though. so good for them and everything, but I'm really anxious to see Phantasm in HD.

Katatonia
03-24-2009, 01:44 AM
Oh man, I can't believe this is getting released before Phantasm. I know it has it's fans though. so good for them and everything, but I'm really anxious to see Phantasm in HD.

Same here. Along with Hellraiser and Hellbound, it's my most anticipated future Blu-ray from Anchor Bay.

fceurich39
03-24-2009, 02:33 AM
Wow! Did Anchor bay actually make a Blu Ray that not only includes all the previous extras (Including the still and poster galleries!) but added new extras as well! I'll pick it up just on principle so they will continue to make Blu Ray's worth buying. I'm still waiting on a Dawn of the Dead and Halloween re-release on Blu that includes all the previously released extras.

yea i want the dawn of the dead ultimate edition on blu-ray with maybe the 156 minute ultimate cut as well

gunner
03-24-2009, 02:33 PM
The opening diner sequence that continues into the kiddie-art opening credits sequence spooked me silly as a kid. Then there's the chanting soundtrack in the background, powerful stuff! I also love the art, sets & props in this film. Too bad about that ending though, I even found it cheesy as a tot!! But to see those awful grand finale effects in 1080p crystal clarity, priceless :D
I think Children of the Corn will be interesting to view on blu-ray. Can't wait!!

Grim
03-24-2009, 06:52 PM
I'd rather have Phantasm and Re-Animator first, but all in good time I suppose. I haven't owned a copy of this yet, so hell, why not?

Korngold
04-14-2009, 06:15 PM
I own the divimax special edition so I may wait until this blu ray is on sale.

fceurich39
06-28-2009, 01:29 AM
here is a blu-ray review link

http://www.fangoria.com/reviews/3-dvd-a-blu-ray/2982-children-of-the-corn-blu-ray-review.html

i wished the more violent scenes that were axed would of been found for this

othervoice1
06-28-2009, 02:08 AM
This will never been seen as a horror classic but I enjoy it and it has 80's all over it. I still think it has one of the creepiest soundtracks of any horror flick. Hope they do a good job on the video quality for this release.

marcx
07-05-2009, 05:47 PM
FYI--This is out now in Best Buys--and available at bestbuy.com. From what I understand they ahve some deal to carry it early. Picked mine up on Friday but haven't watched it yet..

rxfiend
07-05-2009, 06:15 PM
I saw it at Best Buy as well. I believe the price was $24.99, a bit too much for me.

fceurich39
07-05-2009, 06:39 PM
FYI--This is out now in Best Buys--and available at bestbuy.com. From what I understand they ahve some deal to carry it early. Picked mine up on Friday but haven't watched it yet..

thanks for the heads up i called and surprisingly my crappy best buy has 3 copies i wasn't going to get it but since i have a couple of bestbuy rewards coupons i'm gonna go get it

fceurich39
07-06-2009, 01:51 AM
well i got it and the picture/sound quality is really good and the new features are good as well it also it carries over all the stills and 2004 documentary as well as audio commentary

gunner
07-06-2009, 02:19 AM
Woohoo!! Thanks for the info, I'll have to get there soon!

Katatonia
07-07-2009, 12:33 PM
I grabbed one at Best Buy yesterday. I used a 10% off coupon and a $5 rewards certificate, so it was fairly cheap by then.

The Blu-ray has a superb transfer for an 80's film such as this, easily a large improvement over the previous DVD releases. The DolbyTrueHD audio isn't too shabby either.

The new featurettes are quite nice and all three of them are presented in 1080p. The theatrical trailer is also 1080p. All of the old special features (standard def) appear to be carried over from the old releases, except for the DVD-ROM content on the Divimax...but no real loss there.

If you're a fan of the film, this has never looked better.

fceurich39
07-23-2009, 07:34 PM
anyone else get this at bestbuy and what do you think?

also interesting note i guess the remake will be debuting on SYFY channel sometime in september and anchor bay will be releasing a dvd of the remake a couple months later!

gunner
07-23-2009, 07:48 PM
Thanks to this thread, I snagged a copy a while back!! Not a benchmark presentation, the transfer is from the same source as the last dvd, only a much better view. The cornstalks in the sunlight never looked more realistic. What looked like fine grainy haziness before can now be identified as sun glare. I liked the newly added supplements.
My only gripes: They should have created an all-new transfer for this new blu-ray (dream on) and the menu layouts were a little awkward at first. I usually never have issues with navigating through dvd or blu-ray menus, but I was lost in a cornfield for a minute or two with this one!
If you like the movie this blu is highly recommended, the old Divi-Max transfer looks way better in 1080p!!!

MorallySound
01-19-2010, 05:05 PM
Anchor Bay/Starz apparently re-released this on Blu-ray today as a double-feature with Hellraiser: http://www.amazon.com/Children-Hellraiser-Blu-ray-Andrew-Robinson/dp/B002U6CJQK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1263917140&sr=8-3

bigdaddyhorse
01-19-2010, 05:27 PM
Anchor Bay/Starz apparently re-released this on Blu-ray today as a double-feature with Hellraiser: http://www.amazon.com/Children-Hellraiser-Blu-ray-Andrew-Robinson/dp/B002U6CJQK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1263917140&sr=8-3

For those who already have or hate Halloween and individual cases I guess:

Looks like that AB mini-box I saw at Best Buy is now OOP, like it never existed. Can't even find a pic or used link, not on ebay or amazon?...

There was a 3 piece box set at Best Buy over the holidays of Halloween, Children of the Corn and Hellraiser blu-rays. It was normally priced at $35-40 but was on sale one week for $30 and I passed on it for reasons I cannot figure out right now, but think had to do with too many Hellraiser and Halloween discs around. But that had all the blu's in their own cases, just with a box connecting them.

Personally I don't care for these double feature blus. I just find the packaging ugly and un-appealing. AB have already done this with Traitor and Righteous Kill packed together for cheap.

rhett
01-19-2010, 06:42 PM
This has been out for a couple weeks at my local Best Buys. Both are excellent transfers, so if you're liking on both of them I'd really recommend it.

Mutilated Prey
01-19-2010, 09:16 PM
This has been out for a couple weeks at my local Best Buys. Both are excellent transfers, so if you're liking on both of them I'd really recommend it.

Yeah, I've seen this at my BestBuy too. Already have Children of the Corn so I'm out, and like BigDaddy I already had Halloween so that other appealing boxset just doesn't work out either.

dave13
01-19-2010, 09:20 PM
AB have already done this with Traitor and Righteous Kill packed together for cheap.

off topic, but holy fuck, avoid righteous kill at all costs. ugh. just the mention of it makes me wanna take a shower.

bigdaddyhorse
01-20-2010, 04:18 PM
off topic, but holy fuck, avoid righteous kill at all costs. ugh. just the mention of it makes me wanna take a shower.

What? RK was great! A bit predictable, but DeNiro and Pacino together for 90 minutes of murder mystery. I already had to upgrade to blu-ray and after 5 viewings still think this film rocks.
Don't avoid Righteous Kill, try Righteous Kill.:)

dave13
01-20-2010, 05:55 PM
:fucked: do not trust this man. Righteous Kill is the price Pacino and Deniro ultimately had to pay after selling their souls for fame and fortune in the early 70's.