PDA

View Full Version : Quick, Reply To This!....please.

Egg_Shen
12-01-2001, 05:09 PM
OK, maybe I'm a bit hasty in my purchases but I picked up a Pioneer CD CDV LD Player CLD-V2400. I bought this to get some of the movie features unavailable on DVD. Now the mail just brought me The Fog LD with commentary by John Carpenter and Debra Hill found on analog track one. Great, huh? Well I feel very naive now because I got the player without a remote. So how the hell do I get to analog track one. PLEASE HELP THIS POOR UNFORTUNATE FOOL.

jscott
12-01-2001, 07:35 PM
You probably won't be able to listen to the commentary without the remote. On my remote, there's a button marked "Digital/Analog audio", and another button to switch from Stereo, to dual right channel, to dual left channel. This is how I switch the audio for commentaries, isolated scores etc... Unless your player has a button marked like this on the front, you're s.o.l. untill you get a remote. BTW, The Fog laserdisc is awesome! One of my fav's.

Egg_Shen
12-01-2001, 07:59 PM
Well that realy sucks. I don't have a clue where to find a remote for this and now I'm realy pissed at myself. It's still cool to see it in widescreen though and the outakes are entertaining. Oh well.

jscott
12-01-2001, 08:17 PM
Have you looked at http://replacementremotes.com They would probably be able to get it. If not, write me back on this board, and I'll see if one's still availible from Pioneer directly (I work at a service center).

Pope V
12-01-2001, 08:22 PM
I'd recommend buying a One For All programable remote. They come with codes in the booklet, and you can get specialized codes for your equipment through their website. I have a Cinema 7 and it does everything I need it to.

http://www.oneforall-int.com/comfiles/index2.html

jscott
12-01-2001, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the 1for all link. I really need a remote that controls more than just 3 devices (right now I have 7 different remotes).

Egg_Shen
12-01-2001, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Can I get an all in one remote for a LD in the store or only online?

Pope V
12-01-2001, 10:14 PM
There's a "where to buy" link on the site. (includes Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Sears. Pharmor, etc..)

If you do want to get one online, try J&R (I've had good luck with them in the past).
http://www.jandr.com

killit
12-02-2001, 02:32 AM
1 800 remotes (no shit)

Egg_Shen
12-02-2001, 02:47 AM
Hey I picked up the cinema 7 one for all remote. I put in the pioneer LD code and can FF, RW and so on. The thing I still can't figure out is HOW TO CHANGE TO THE ANALOG TRACKS. Why, oh why :( .

Paff
12-02-2001, 03:50 AM
I should have piped in sooner

I always wondered if Universal remotes would do that. I mean, analog/digital track changing is a feature unique to laserdisc.

The good news is that Pioneer remotes are pretty universal. I'd look on E-bay and see if anyone is selling ANY Pioneer LD remote. Or just try replacementremotes.com.

There's also a page that has a lot of photos of different LD players and their remotes, so that might help. Unfortunately, I don't have the URL handy, it's on my work computer.

Egg_Shen
12-02-2001, 04:01 AM
Well you piped in a little late there but thanks none the less Paff. I'm wondering, though, if Pope V could perform this task with his remote. He recommended it and said it did everything he needed it to do.

Pope V
12-02-2001, 04:10 AM
Well, I did say that didn't I?
And It's true - BUT not right out of the box. I had to fill out a form for "advanced codes", and they e-mailed them back.
http://www.oneforall-int.com/ussite/northamerica/products/advanced_function_codes.htm
It does take a couple of days tho'. (patience, my friend, patience)

Egg_Shen
12-02-2001, 04:59 AM
Yeah, I saw that and filled it out. I guess patience is not a virtue of mine. So what do these advanced codes consist of? You know food for thought, until they get back to me.

Oh, and I did follow through on Paff's idea but couldn't find a single Pioneer remote on ebay. Patience....

Pope V
12-02-2001, 05:27 AM
Originally posted by Egg_Shen
So what do these advanced codes consist of? You know food for thought, until they get back to me.

Well, you know.....remote stuff.
You pick the device - plug in the code - pick which button you want that function to go to. For example: the standard code for my dvd set the fwd and rev as a standard "quick scan". I didn't care for that, so I used the codes to make it a 2x-4x scan. Also, the factory code for my receiver didn't have a button to change soundfield settings, but now it does

Hopefully, your codes will include the audio change - it wasn't pre-set for my dvd, but it's there now dammit!

good luck and save your receipt just in case!

pete

Egg_Shen
12-02-2001, 06:00 AM
Yeah I realy hope it works. I have Escape From New York and the Halloween Criterion LD's on their way too. As I type this I sit looking at the ol' Jamie Lee trying to keep the fog at bay on the disks cover. I did watch it for the first time in it's original aspect ratio though, and since it's a Carpenter film that makes an immense difference.

Pope V
12-02-2001, 06:10 AM
Now I really hope it works because the Halloween commentary is fuckin' great.

Egg_Shen
12-02-2001, 06:29 AM
Yeah, would imagine so. One thing though, now that you have shown yourself as an expert, does the Halloween commentary feature both Jamie Lee Curtis and Carpentrer or just JC on his own? I have seen it advertised both ways and, well, I was curious. Man, I realy hope it works.

Pope V
12-02-2001, 06:44 AM
My LD player died and I sold off all my discs ('cept for the music ones - don't ask why) - so I don't have a solid reference here... But, I remember the commentary being mostly John Carpenter & Debra Hill. Dunno for sure because the LD player actually bit it in 99' so I've pretty much drank those memories away by now...

Egg_Shen
12-02-2001, 06:53 AM
Too bad about your player man. I didn't even know Debra Hill was in the commentary just JC and Curtis. I mostly have heard about the EFNY disk and it's track with Carpenter and Russell, now that'll be fuckin' great. Then again if the remote thing does't come through then I'm screwed, and nothing will be all that great.

Paff
12-02-2001, 07:58 AM
Halloween Criterion LD's on their way too.

Hey, you did make sure the Criterion Halloween LD is the CAV version, right? The CLV version does not have the extras, including the commentary (I think)

The CLV version is one disc, the CAV version is 2 discs. Sorry, I don't feel like discussing the technical differences between CAV and CLV tonight...

Egg_Shen
12-02-2001, 04:55 PM
Yeah, I defenitely got the CAV LD after reading that it's CLV counterpart was featureless. I thought the big difference between the two(CAV and CLV) was that the CAV held less per side but had better picture quality. OH, and a VERY interesting point made by the bidder was that the CAV LD of Halloween was far superior to the DVD released by AB. I own that DVD and THOUGHT the movie was the best it could be presented in, which was pretty good to me. So is the LD realy better? Oh and what do you think of the advanced codes working to shift to the analog tracks?

Paff
12-02-2001, 11:14 PM
OH, and a VERY interesting point made by the bidder was that the CAV LD of Halloween was far superior to the DVD released by AB. I own that DVD and THOUGHT the movie was the best it could be presented in, which was pretty good to me. So is the LD realy better? Oh and what do you think of the advanced codes working to shift to the analog tracks?

Man, I don't know about that. I mean, the Criterion CAV LD is NICE, but I'd have to believe the DVD is better. (Unless the guy is only talking about the extras). I'm not a huge Halloween fan, so I've never compared.

As far as the remotes go, I'd suggest doing what you can to get a Pioneer LD remote. Replacementremotes.com hooked me up. You just need to find out which remote your player needs, and even then you have some leeway as any Pioneer remote should work.

Egg_Shen
12-03-2001, 12:41 AM
He was talking about the picture quality "in all its CAV glory." I'm a pretty big fan of Halloween (although being such an admirer of Carpenter I can find merit in almost any of his films, yes even GOM) so beating out the THX certified DVD is a huge feature in its own right. So yes I will compare I'm sure. Oh, and I've been wondering through all this what kind of player you own and, in your opinion, the best that there is yo get.

bigdaddyhorse
12-03-2001, 05:09 AM
The CAV Halloween looks great, but the THX dvd is better. The laser has better extras, but the doc. on the dvd is good too.
The comm. has Carpenter and Hill together, and Jamie edited in from a seperate track. Great comm track.

Paff
12-03-2001, 05:37 PM
Is this your player?:

http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/laserdisc_archive/pioneer/pioneer_cld-v2400/pioneer_cld-v2400.htm

If you want my honest opinion, I'd say don't sink any more money into this, especially if you plan on building a LD collection. I mean, if you only want the 2 or 3 discs you have, maybe you should keep it, but if you really want to keep buying LDs, you'll want something better.

The best players were the Pioneer Elites, namely the Elite CLD-99 and CLD-79. OK, There's some real expensive Japanese Pioneer players too, but those are for serious collectors only.

I'm using a CLD-D704, generally considered the best non-Elite player built. It's pretty damn sweet. A well done Laserdisc looks as good as a non-anamorphic DVD on that player. And sounds better!

I'd recommend a CLD-D406, CLD-D50x, CLD-D60x, or CLD-D70x. These are all double sided players (no damn disc flipping!). (x is a single digit variable from 1 to 6)

Many players are Pioneer Clones, and you can sometimes find them at a reasonable price. I got a Pro-Scan PS46 from E-bay for around $100, and it's a nice little player.
A Marantz LV-520 is also a clone of a mid-level Pioneer.
Mitsubishi has some nice players too.

If you find any auctions that you're not sure of, post 'em here and I'll let you know.

Again, if you're not gonna half-ass laserdisc, might as well get a good player. One of the unfortunate things about LD was that not all players were created equal, some are downright shitty. It's not wise to go spending money on an LD player if you don't know much about them. Ask an expert.

Egg_Shen
12-04-2001, 01:08 AM
Yeah, that's it. I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to LD. Infact I didn't even know it couldn't hold the complete movie on one side until I watched The Fog. I would really like your help in buying a good player though. I, being naive, thought it was the disc that provided the quality. Now that I know that all players arn't the same I am looking for a better model. Unfortunately you posted to late to save me from my radical spending. Will you give me your opinion on this Pioneer CLD s201.
Thanks.

http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/laserdisc_archive/pioneer/pioneer_cld-s201/pioneer_cld-s201.htm

I'm afraid this won't be up to par, being the age it is and all. It did come with 4 movies and wasn't to much cash though.

Paff
12-04-2001, 02:20 AM
Actually, that's not bad, it's one of the better single sided player. But double sided players are so much better...

What's your price range?

here's some auctions of some pretty good players:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1304828116

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1304841905

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1491205825

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1303693851

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1304536013

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1305426755

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1303241961

All of these should final at less than $200, which isn't too bad. I'd expect them to go between $100 and $150.

Egg_Shen
12-04-2001, 03:57 AM
Geez Paff that was really cool of you. My range is around that($100-$200). I definetly wan't the best player, but getting some disks along with it wouldn't hurt. Why don't you tell me the one YOU would buy and I'll probably go with that. Also what is the difference in quality(besides the ability to flip the disc) between those and the Pioneer CLD-S201 LD? I mean I can't keep buying these things so if the contrast is small I'll likely stick with it(S201).
Again thanks, you've been a great help.

Paff
12-04-2001, 05:39 AM
Hmmm...well, in that case I'd stick with the first one (The Mitsubishi 7057) or the fourth one (The Pioneer CLD-D702)

Trust me, dual sided makes a big difference. Also, those two players (especially the 702) have some nice signal processing. You WILL notice a large difference with those players.

Egg_Shen
12-04-2001, 02:04 PM
OK I like the 702 if you do. I don't know it's worth so what should I bid up to?

Paff
12-04-2001, 04:30 PM
Bid what you can pay...

I'd stay under $200, though it's worth a bit more. Let me check around on that Mitsu 7057 though. If I recall, that's a clone of a higher end Pioneer, like a 606 or maybe even a 704.

Either of those players would put your 2400 to shame...

Paff
12-04-2001, 04:38 PM
Yeah man....grab that 7057 if you can...check out the specs on this bad boy:

http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/laserdisc_archive/mitsubishi/mitsubishi_m-v7057/mitsubishi_mv7057.htm

It looks exactly like the specs on the Pioneer CLD-D704, the player I have. The bidding is at an appallingly low $81. Anything LESS than $200 is highway robbery.

This baby has all the bells and whistles - Jog shuttle remote, VDNR (Video Digital Noise Reduction), AC-3 RF output (for Dolby Digital), Optical Out (for DTS)

If it's in good condition, LDs look almost the same as DVDs on it...

MISFITZ
12-04-2001, 04:58 PM
hey paff, lemme axe ya! (let me ask you.. LOL!!:D )

Seriously,
this may be a pretty stupid question, and I DO remember reading about it in my LD manual, but I don't feel like diggin it out of whatever box I stored it in.

But the "QUICK TURN" on the LD player of mine, turns the disc SUPER FAST. Why is this an option?? Am I giving something up for this luxury? I mean, why would someone NOT want the quick turn feature activated??

To be quite honest, I think when unplugged my LD player (i may have this reverse) automatically turns it on, and it has a bright green light. Depending how I feel, I don't like that little light on. So I've turned it off. (remember I may have this reverse)

But with the quick turn on or off, I hardly notice a time difference. Both are pretty fast. So am I losing something???

What happens when it turns it fast? And shouldn't that just be a regular feature. I guess those Karaoke people don't want that fast flip time, but.....

(hope i'm making sense)

Paff
12-04-2001, 05:49 PM
"Quick Turn" is a dumb feature.

Physically, nothing is different. The Disc stops. The Laser head rides on this little U-shaped track that brings it to the other side of the disc. The disc begins spinning in the opposite direction.

Now, what "quick turn" does, is eliminate a LOGICAL step, which is a "Chapter read" of the disc. I don't know why anyone would care about that. A Chapter read takes around a second or so, that's why there's so little difference with or without "quick turn".

Use whichever setup you like best.

MISFITZ
12-04-2001, 05:55 PM
:rolleyes:

(not for your post, but for the 'quick turn' feature, thanx btw)

jscott
12-04-2001, 05:59 PM
Man, all this talk of a new LD player is getting me itchy. I think I'm gonna break down and replace mine.

Egg_Shen
12-04-2001, 07:49 PM
Yeah Paff, that player is REALLY nice. Infact I'm all ready to place my bid. Unfortuanatly my credit card expired recently so I'll have to send a money order(which of course takes MUCH longer) but oh well. Before I do I wan't to make sure that this is on par(or at least close) to your Pioneer player. It should last a while, right?

Paff
12-04-2001, 08:19 PM
Providing it's been well taken care of, yes, it will last a long time. It's a solid machine.

I'm a little torn on which one to recommend...the 702 looks like it was taken care of better, but the Mitsu is a much better machine (at least based on the specs). And yes, it really does look as good as the 704. That's the thing with E-bay, it's buyer beware.

One thing you can do with these players that's kinda nice is freeze-frame on CLV discs.

Still, if that 7057 hovers around the $200 range (even a little above), it's a damn good deal. Did you see that it originally listed for $1299? That's one thing in it's favor: People didn't buy these machines on a whim, you had to be a real serious LD collector. So there's a chance it's in excellent shape.

It's your money, you make the call. So IF it's in good shape, you'll get one hell of an LD player...

MISFITZ
12-04-2001, 09:01 PM
One thing you can do with these players that's kinda nice is freeze-frame on CLV discs

Shit!! That's pretty damn sweet! There are two reasons why I'm not as aggresive on LDs.

1. I can't freeze frame on my LD. ('cept in CAV) I dunno about everyone else, but I freeze frame a lot!! Don't ask me why! But I like watching some scenes frame by frame! My Natural Born Killers Box is in CAV and there is SOOOO much stuff going on in there, I need to be able to stop and appreciate it. I was hoping to find some 'clever' finds when the credits scroll up after the Rodney Dangerfield bit, but nah! At least that time, I could have missed something. But of course with CAV, you gotta get up and change several disc.

2. Quite honestly, the 5-8 seconds it takes to switch sides, has always erked me. Yes it is a small price to pay when dealing with the disc that are superior to their DVD wanna-be's, but some companies pick the WORSE time to swap sides! Brings you back to 'reality' so to speak!! At least for me. Depending on the films, I really get into them. Don't try callin my house when I'm watching Godfather II on LD, I won't answer!! ;)

Other than that, I had found them to be a tad bit grainy, but that was with my last TV set, which i don't feel like dwelling on again! With my new set, I have lit that fire again on me with LDs, but besides the above complaints, I still pimp the LD.

(but my chick's folks are buying me a new DVD playa for X-mas!!!)

Paff
12-04-2001, 09:25 PM
Yeah, you can do CLV freeze frame on upper level players, though it's not great. CAV freeze frame is about the best thing there is in the world. Each frame of the film is represented by one round trip of the disc. So when you freeze frame it, the laser just stays in the same place as the disc spins.

I don't mind side flips/changes....USUALLY. But hoo-boy, there's some bad ones out there. The two worst are Reservoir Dogs (side flips right as Nice Guy Eddie's in the middle of a speech), and Blade Runner: The Director's Cut. In that one, the disc CHANGE is during the chase sequence with Deckard and Joanna Cassidy.

I've come to accept the flips though, and they don't bother me at all. In fact, to me, it tells me how good or bad a movie is. Sometimes, I'm bored, wondering if the movie is EVER going to end. Then, the side flips, and I realize there's still anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour left.
But some movies, like LA Confidential, I swear that side flip can't be more than 10 minutes into the movie....

jscott
12-04-2001, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by MISFITZ

2. Quite honestly, the 5-8 seconds it takes to switch sides, has always erked me.

You must have never collected vinyl LP's. Before CD took over, any record you listened to had to be flipped. I believe that my father had me just for this reason. My father also bought Pioneer's very first model of LD player, and turning over his laserdisc's became another childhood chore of mine. So the time it takes for my player to do it's auto reverse is spent reflecting on childhood memories of flipping dad's Blues Brothers or Tron laserdisc over. And if I ever watch a DVD of a film that my dad had on LD, I'm always a little confused without the "End of Side 1" screen. Sorry if this post strayed a little off, I just wanted to add my $0.02

MISFITZ
12-04-2001, 11:28 PM
. I believe that my father had me just for this reason.

:D :D :D

That was pretty funny!!! LOL!! Nah, i had LP's, (though only got them for music and not collection) but you didn't flip an album in the middle of a song did you? Like I said, depending on the film, I really get 'into' the film. I could name examples as Paff did too, but I'm sure we all get the point. But those are just my 2 'beefs' with the format.

I have the AB Dawn of the Dead, and that was one of the first DVD's I ever bought. I thought DVD was gonna be like that too! (flip sides) Was about to not invest any more $$$ in DVD because i would rather just stand by Laser Disc. Sad thing is, DVD has become so 'hot', it doesn't feel the same collecting as it did with Laser Disc.

I mean, when I bought my Criterion version of Taxi Driver, I felt like I bought a 'serious' film/lover/collector's version of the film. I felt the purchase was worth the large price because it would carry class and treat the film at some of the highest respect.

With DVD, it just doesn't feel that way.

I mean TV commercials yell, "Plus see the deleted scenes and out takes! WOW!" or the 'other movies I may like' feature on DVDs are just sales ads or something! I dunno! Even when at the store (I usually buy on-line), people just pick up a DVD like they were renting a film for the weekend.

I personally LOVE horror to death. But I also enjoy films. I wouldn't call myself a movie collector, but I always try to treat a film, the way some people treat a book. I admire the direction, the writing, the photography, camera angles, etc...

And seeing some couple grab T-2, Independence Day and try to act like their "Home theater nuts", it just makes me roll my eyes!!

Sorry, this is straying off topic and bordering on a rant. I'll stop there!!

Anyways....

Egg_Shen
12-05-2001, 02:10 PM
Hey it's all right Misfitz, I agree totally with what you have said. That's part of the raeson I wanted to get a LD plyayer in the first place. On a sad note someone stole my wallet the other day at work. That really sucked. Got about $150. Oh well. I still think I'm going for the player cause I got someone who's willing to bid for me, someone with a credit card. Oh, and I never got the AB Dawn of the Dead DVD, I always had hopes of getting the CAV LD. Now that carries class.

Egg_Shen
12-05-2001, 02:23 PM
Hey Paff, I saw the LD player has gone up a bit . A great price still, but I was wondering how many people from this forum have gone to bid on it AFTER you said it was such a kick ass set. Just curious. Hope I can still get away with highway robbery ;) .

jscott
12-05-2001, 11:49 PM
I always had hopes of getting the CAV LD. Now that carries class.
That laserdisc is the reason I bought my player:D I actually had the disc first, because my dad has a LD player, but then I broke down & bought a player the day after I got the CAV set. Only commentary GAR has ever done for Dawn is on this disc.

Egg_Shen
12-06-2001, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by jscott
Only commentary GAR has ever done for Dawn is on this disc.

Yeah, don't I know it! I would also suspect, being a CAV LD after all, that it features a pretty nice transfer :) .

jscott
12-06-2001, 02:24 PM
The Dawn CAV disc has a very nice transfer, and a plethora of supplements. It has the complete script, a ton of theatrical & TV spots, memorabilia photos,etc... However, I don't enjoy the commentary very much, it's a little bland. Seems like GAR & Savini are watching the film most of the time and not commenting on it. Anchor Bay should have used this for their DVD releases, hopefully they'll get it right with the next DVD.

Egg_Shen
12-06-2001, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by jscott
I don't enjoy the commentary very much, it's a little bland.

It seems most people feel this way. I liked the commentary for Martin, NOTLD, and Knightriders, so I think I will( if I ever pick it up that is) find at least some merit in it.

jscott
12-06-2001, 11:46 PM

It seems most people feel this way. I liked the commentary for Martin, NOTLD, and Knightriders, so I think I will( if I ever pick it up that is) find at least some merit in it.

It is somewhat informative, but not as interesting as the above mentioned commentaries.