PDA

View Full Version : Dawn of the Dead - which version do you prefer?

Dave
01-29-2001, 11:35 PM
Theatrical cut?

Director's cut?

Argento cut?

I'm in the process of reviewing the Dawn of the Dead 2-disc Region 2 PAL DVD. I have to admit that I'm not really a huge fan of Dawn. I'd say my favorites listed in order are Night, Day and then Dawn. But it's very interesting to go through each cut (I'm also reviewing Anchor Bay's theatrical cut DVD) and see what's missing, what's been added, the different music, etc.

I'm only about half way through the Argento cut so I can't comment too much right now as to which I prefer, but I'm interested in hearing which you guys like the most. Right now I feel the director's cut drags on a bit too much, and I like the fast pace that Argento's cut has. However, I've never seen the theatrical cut before so I'm not sure what my feelings will be on that.

------------------
David W. Anderson - dave@horrordvds.com
Webmaster - www.horrordvds.com (http://www.horrordvds.com)

Paff
01-29-2001, 11:49 PM
That's a good question. I've seen all versions except the Argento one. I even saw the "R-Rated" version they showed when it was on a double-bill with Creepshow. That was the first time I saw Dawn (in the days before video rental) and I totally enjoyed it. I'd probably hate it now.

I'd like to see a theatrical vs. director's cut comparison. I find the director's cut drags about midway through, when they're securing the mall. The scenes up to the mall go super-fast, as does the end attack. It would be interesting to know which scenes got snipped.

Jason25
01-30-2001, 12:10 AM
Theatrical cut is my favorite. I think it really is the best version. I could go on all day about it. Dawn of the Dead is by far my most favorite film of the series.

I also like the Argento cut, however to a lesser extent.

If Anchor Bay doesn't include the Argento cut in their upcoming release, I'll pass on the new set. I can't justify the purchase without the Argento Cut.

Django
01-30-2001, 12:19 AM
Which one you prefer depends on what you go into the movie expecting.

If you want fast-paced action and gore with nothing else of substance, go with the Argento cut.

If you want character development and the drama of being among the last survivors of a zombie holocaust with your gore, go with the director's cut.

It you want it all, go with the theatrical cut.

My favorite is probably the theatrical cut only because it's a nice mid-range choice. But I have no problems watching the director's cut as I love the characters in Dawn and not the zombie gore.

I can't stand the Argento one...

ephilman
01-30-2001, 12:40 AM
Argento's cut is brisk, maybe a little too much so if you've already seen the film in another version. Plus I think the helicopter sequence is gone. The director's cut is just extended character takes and doesn't really add anything of substance - just time with main and secondary characters. I prefer the theatrical cut. I think it is really the best of all worlds.

Mark Relford
01-30-2001, 12:50 AM
I'll go with the theatrical cut.

------------------
"Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

"They're back from the grave and ready to party!"

Dave
01-30-2001, 12:55 AM
Yeh I'm thinking if the theatrical cut is somewhere in between Argento and Director's I'm probably going to like that the most. I'll find out tonight I guess...

By the way, was it me or does Captain Rhodes (from Day of the Dead) make a brief appearance in Dawn of the Dead: Director's Cut (maybe theatrical too, I dunno)? I could've sworn that when the group is about to leave the city on the helicopter he was one of the police officers giving "Fly Boy" a hard time. First time I noticed that if it's really him. Guess I can check IMDB.

------------------
David W. Anderson - dave@horrordvds.com
Webmaster - www.horrordvds.com (http://www.horrordvds.com)

Mark Relford
01-30-2001, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Dave:
By the way, was it me or does Captain Rhodes (from Day of the Dead) make a brief appearance in Dawn of the Dead: Director's Cut (maybe theatrical too, I dunno)? I could've sworn that when the group is about to leave the city on the helicopter he was one of the police officers giving "Fly Boy" a hard time. First time I noticed that if it's really him. Guess I can check IMDB.

Yep, that's him. (Joe Pilato) The theatrical cut doesn't have this scene.

------------------
"Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

"They're back from the grave and ready to party!"

The Chaostar
01-30-2001, 02:04 AM
I have the Argento cut and I see the message of Romero clearly visible in every way.
Romero himself thinks very highly of this cut, and so does Rubinstein (George's friend and american producer).
Argento just cut things that the italians wouldn't understand (different sense of humour maybe?).

I prefer the theatrical cut though.

AceRimRat
01-30-2001, 03:07 AM
I bought the Theatrical Cut because the Director's Cut DVD was a flipper (I've seen the VHS version). I haven't seen the Argento cut but I'm hoping it'll be in AB's version.

I really don't miss the extra stuff from the DC in the theatrical cut so I guess I'd have to go with that one as the favorite DVD.

MovieFan
01-30-2001, 03:30 AM
I pefer the theatrical cut, but there are some scenes in the director's cut I would've liked in the theatrical cut.

By the way, am I the only one who thought Day was boring until the last fifteen minutes?

rhett
01-30-2001, 04:05 AM
I'd definitely go with the Director's Cut. There is just too much cut out from the Argento cut and the theatrical cut. I feel the Director's Cut was the closest representation of what Romero wanted DOTD to be, thus it is my pick.

TobalRox
01-30-2001, 04:40 PM
I will agree with MovieFan, I just really did not like Day of the Dead. I was actually thinking of doing that whole blockbuster deal of getting your money back if you don't like a movie because aside from the effects, I hated it. I was with two other people, both of which loved night and dawn, but they too hated Day. The reason that I didn't do the thing with blockbuster is because it was 3 days overdue before I got around to watching it (damn blizzards).

------------------
"It's a spadoinkle day" -Cannibal: The Musical

AIM: TobalRox

gunner
01-30-2001, 08:20 PM
Hey,Hey,Lets not forget or leave out the edited for television cut.I used to see Dawn of the Dead on USA network all the time when I was younger.I forget the differences (if any) but I seem to recall a faster pace.Anyone here know the stats on that version?

The Meanie
01-30-2001, 11:23 PM
I preferred the Directors Cut. Probably because I saw the Directors Cut first and then the Theatrical cut.

I think that is the main problem I have with the Theatrical cut is the editing.
I have the same problem watching NOTLD 30th. I didn't really mind the new footage, but all the little cuts they did really drove me NUTS. I keep expecting lines and scenes and they are cut or shorten. The same applies to DOTD.

Also, with the Directors Cut I like that there is less Goblin music. Don't get me wrong, I do like the Goblin music but with the Theatrical cut they seem to use the same 3 songs or the same 3 songs modified. I like the other music used because I think its a good link between NOTLD & DOTD since they both sound similiar.