PDA

View Full Version : Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown in August

Grim
04-09-2009, 04:27 PM
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Disney/Disc_Announcements/Pulp_Fiction,_Jackie_Brown_Coming_to_Blu-ray_this_August/2669

Finally, the only two Tarantino flicks not on blu-ray. I'm pretty excited.

Mutilated Prey
04-09-2009, 04:42 PM
Pulp Fiction yes, Jackie Brown.....no.

Grim
04-09-2009, 04:44 PM
Pulp Fiction yes, Jackie Brown.....no.

I never understand the hate that Jackie Brown gets. It's a solid flick. I definitely enjoy it more than Reservoir Dogs.

Mutilated Prey
04-09-2009, 05:21 PM
Oh, now you've gone too far :lol:

I don't hate Jackie Brown, but I just felt that it was one of those flicks that was over hyped. They made it seem like another Pulp Fiction (which is a pretty tough act to follow). I went to see it in the theater and felt let down.

Wez4555
04-09-2009, 06:25 PM
I never understand the hate that Jackie Brown gets. It's a solid flick. I definitely enjoy it more than Reservoir Dogs.

i agree 100%

Matt89
04-09-2009, 06:36 PM
I'll definitely grab Pulp Fiction. Not too sure about Jackie Brown, though.

~Matt

fattyjoe37
04-09-2009, 07:21 PM
I love Jackie Brown. It's the only Tarantino flick that gets better each time I see it. It's not his best by any means, just very underrated.

Grim
04-09-2009, 07:24 PM
I suppose I was a little too young to grasp the hype at the time (I was only like 10 when it came out and the clearest memory I have of its promotion is the TV spot with Pam Grier saying "booyah."), but I think it is almost as good as Pulp Fiction, just a very very different film.

JamieSPC
04-09-2009, 07:57 PM
Sacrilege perhaps, but...

For me, Jackie Brown is the one I keep coming back to. Pulp Fiction was so hyped and praised when it came out, and I loved it to be sure, but I don't watch it anymore. I think PF seems "dated" because it seemed to define filmmaking at that distinct point in time and had so many imitators in its wake.

Jackie Brown still has the hallmarks of Tarantino (snappy dialogue, somewhat non-linear, great soundtrack), but with more restraint. The performances across the board are more muted and perhaps in turn more "real." PF had a heightened reality; JB just had a "reality."

I can return to JB every few months and genuinely enjoy it...

~Jamie

killit
04-09-2009, 09:11 PM
love em both. awesome news

spawningblue
04-09-2009, 09:57 PM
Pulp Fiction is one of my fav. flicks so that will be a must buy. Probably grab Jackie Brown as well, although I didn't love it, it was still pretty good.

othervoice1
04-10-2009, 03:54 AM
I always thought Jackie Brown was underappreciated and overlooked - I agree each time I watch it I appreciate it even more. And I never get bored with Pulp Fiction- but I own them both on dvd and just not sure I will double dip- if they get really great reviews on picture and if they have great supplements maybe... I do own Kill Bill on blu and I knew if they did a decent job it would be a cool movie to watch in hi-def, and I was not disappointed.

Paff
04-10-2009, 06:03 AM
I don't hate Jackie Brown, but I just felt that it was one of those flicks that was over hyped. They made it seem like another Pulp Fiction (which is a pretty tough act to follow). I went to see it in the theater and felt let down.

It was hyped a bit on pre-release, but by about 10PM Christmas Day in 1997, the buzz was completely gone. The word "sucks" was thrown about quite a bit (and this was before widespread internet forums). Pretty sure I used it myself.

It's grown in reputation a lot since. I definitely think it fits the description of an underrated movie. I like it way more than when I first saw it. I just re-watched it about a month or so ago. It's far from perfect though. My biggest complaint is that the tension and plot builds to a fever pitch, culminating in the money exchange at the mall. Only problem is there is 30 more minutes left in the movie, and those 30 minutes are pretty slow. Quentin simply did not pace this movie right.

But, what I really like about it is that it kinda has this feel of "what would happen to the characters in a blaxploitation movie 20 years later?". You got a small time crook, never really made it big, even though he thinks he's still some big time player. And a woman who probably did some great shit in her 20s, but now has to slum it at the only job she can get anymore. It's really a lot of fun, I'd love it way more if QT had tightened up the finale.

Xtro_13
04-10-2009, 03:21 PM
My question is...Where in the hell is "Kill Bill The Whole Bloody Affair"?

MorallySound
04-10-2009, 03:53 PM

Also agree 100%. Jackie Brown is a great film.

bigdaddyhorse
04-13-2009, 06:36 PM
My biggest complaint is that the tension and plot builds to a fever pitch, culminating in the money exchange at the mall. Only problem is there is 30 more minutes left in the movie, and those 30 minutes are pretty slow. Quentin simply did not pace this movie right.

But, what I really like about it is that it kinda has this feel of "what would happen to the characters in a blaxploitation movie 20 years later?". You got a small time crook, never really made it big, even though he thinks he's still some big time player. And a woman who probably did some great shit in her 20s, but now has to slum it at the only job she can get anymore. It's really a lot of fun, I'd love it way more if QT had tightened up the finale.

I love the last act of this, esp. when Sam Jackson gets in the car to go get his money and has that look on his face that's so pissed off. I swear at one point there's an angle through the windshield and he looks like the Crypt Keeper, or maybe just some other pissed off skull. Plus by that time we care about the characters, so the semi-happy ending fits well, although Forster is out his damn mind letting that fine piece of woman walk away from him.:eek:

Ordelle went on to greater things after getting smoked!:D
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/bigdaddyhorse/PDVD_000-3.jpg http://www.cnnsi.com/extramustard/images/Crypt.Keeper.jpg

Grim
04-13-2009, 07:08 PM
One reason I really dig Jackie Brown is that it's the only film Tarantino directed where there's a legitimate romantic angle that develops throughout the film. (the Vincent Vega/Mia Wallace thing in Pulp Fiction never really goes past anything more than simple flirtation)

Paff
04-13-2009, 07:42 PM
What, you don't consider the scene in the basement of the pawn shop in Pulp Fiction to be legitimate romance?

(stole this joke from the Men on Film segment of In Living Color, by the way)