PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about the new Freddy?

rhett
04-11-2009, 06:34 AM
The announcement that the mousy Jackie Earle Haley would be stepping in to Robert Englund's clown-sized shoes for the Elm Street remake certainly turned some heads. For better? For worse? How do you think it will shape the remake?

Misanthrope666
04-11-2009, 07:26 AM
This is one remake I am going to boycott for sure! I was against it before it was announced that Englund would not be back, but this seals the movie's fate in my mind. Plus it is being made by Platinum Dunes, look how the butchered Friday the 13th.

Slackjaw83
04-11-2009, 08:47 AM
I'm hoping that he does a good job in the role. That said, the rest of the movie is what I'm still on the ropes about.

fattyjoe37
04-11-2009, 09:06 AM
I'll see how the rest of the movie turns out, but I love Haley as Freddy.

maybrick
04-11-2009, 12:26 PM
From my point of view Robert Englund RUINED the character after the initial installment of the franchise. They could stick Freddy Prinze Jr. into the role at this point and it would be an improvement!

Copyboy
04-11-2009, 12:54 PM
Overall, I'm not a fan of very many remakes, but although I loved some of the Nightmare movies when they first came out, I never bought a single one on DVD. I would certainly love to see Jackie Earle Haley in full Freddy makeup! He's definitely got the look from what I remember him looking like, and I doubt he'd even need very much makeup at all to pull it off. This could actually be something good, but it's really going to depend on a hell of a lot more than casting a capable actor in a classic role. Who would have thought that the same guy who gave us little Willie from V would be capable of pulling off the psychosexual child molester in the original Nightmare? I'm all for Jackie Earle Haley playing the part, but as far as how good the movie will be, we'll just have to wait and see.

snowbeast323
04-11-2009, 02:37 PM
Sorry....No Englund....No Movie....

Mutilated Prey
04-11-2009, 03:14 PM
We'll see how the movie turns out. I'm sure Haley will do a fine job. I agree with Maybrick - I thought Freddy was pretty cool in the original, and alright in the sequel. However, after that with all the stupid one liners I lost respect - whether or not that was Englund's fault or not I dunno, but he became one of my least favorite of all franchise "boogeymen".

Harry Warden
04-11-2009, 04:40 PM
I'll wait to decide as well. Outside of the original, I'm not a big fan of this series. Freddy was really evil and nasty in the original, but became nothing more than a cartoon character in the rest.

vampyr789
04-11-2009, 05:02 PM
the original Nightmare is a classic in every sense of the word. but i think its nice to see someone new. but also we will have to see how the movie turns out too.

dave13
04-11-2009, 06:59 PM
im in agreement with most here: this franchise is seriously in need of some new blood. recently watched freddy vs jason again, cuz i couldn't believe it was quite as bad as i remembered it to be. it was. and freddy was worse than a joke in it - he was a bore. haley was easily the best part of watchmen, and im interested to see what he can do with the role. whether he's good enough to make the movie good is another question indeed.

othervoice1
04-11-2009, 07:14 PM
To me it will always be Englund and it will lose something without him. With that said I loved the first Nightmare on Elm Street and found it to be tense and scary while everything after that did turn cartoonish so Id be happy to see a Nightmare movie that returns to a more dark tone. I havent read much about this remake so I do not know if it is a straight remake of the original, a reimaging or if it is really going to try to be a unique addition. I am holding out hope this will be a decent flick but these remakes are so out of control right now....

geeare
04-11-2009, 07:34 PM
I'm just a sukker for the franchise no matter who is in it so I will see it. I enjoyed F13 remake so I doubt i will be completely disappointed with this.

Shlockjock81
04-11-2009, 09:00 PM
Like most, I'm not a fan of remakes. However I can appreciate some of them (ie the Dawn of the Dead remake was pretty damn good).

While I would like to have seen Billy-Bob Thornton as Freddy (as it was rumoured early on), I think Jackie would definately make a menacing Krueger as well. He has the right look for it...

Plus I'll always remember him as the little snot that got stomped to death by Donald Sutherland at the end of "Day of the Locust" lol. If he can bring that kind of nastiness to the role, I think this could work out.

However, like most remakes, if they make the teens/victims look like underwear models, the film will be in trouble. Horror films are scarier when you can relate to the victims... and the kids in the original Elm Street were basically kids that could have lived on anyone's street... so it hit close to home.

Anthropophagus
04-11-2009, 11:57 PM
Loved the first, hated the rest. I'm indifferent to this remake.

Mitbox
04-12-2009, 12:04 AM
Jury's out, but I always thought that guy from Prison Break, T-Bag (Robert Knepper) looked a lot like Freddy and the character T-bag was very freddy-esque. Haven`t seen watchmen and never heard of Jackie Earle before. I'm tired of battling against remakes so bring the travesties on (we still have to suffer through hellreaiser remake and who the hell knows other classics being remade).

Myron Breck
04-12-2009, 03:56 AM
I enjoy the series but Freddy became a fucking joke quite quickly. Haley as Freddy sounds like a great idea to me, frankly. But, yes, remakes typically blow so I am not expecting a lot.

It's me, Billy
04-12-2009, 02:03 PM
Without Robert Englund, I don't hold out a lot of hope for it. Freddy Krueger isn't the type of character that "just anyone" can play to perfection. It's not like Jason Voorhees or Michael Myers or Leatherface where any stuntman can put a mask on and lumber through the film as a silent, stalking killer. Freddy requires the right kind of personality. And honestly, I don't think the Elm Street series became a complete joke until Nightmare 5: The Dream Child in 1989. Parts 1-4 were really solid IMO.

Zillamon51
04-12-2009, 07:19 PM
Wow. I'm surprised to see how little love there is for the Nightmare franchise (not just the first one) on a horror board. Like any long-running series, the sequels are going to be hit-and-miss. I think some of them, especially Dream Warriors and New Nightmare, are really solid. A scary, less gimmick / joke Freddy was one of the strengths of FvJ.

I always thought that casting a new Freddy would be the trickiest part of a NOES remake. He's such an iconic character, and unlike Jason and Michael, is linked to a single memorable performer. After seeing Watchmen, I'm confident that JEH will make an excellent Krueger.

dave13
04-12-2009, 07:49 PM
A scary, less gimmick / joke Freddy was one of the strengths of FvJ.

thats a joke, right?

maybrick
04-12-2009, 09:17 PM
thats a joke, right?

That's what I was about to say! FvJ had Freddy at his absolutely worst in terms of pun slinging.

aoiookami
04-13-2009, 02:15 AM
Yes. The character was due for reinvention.

I look at the NoES series in the same light as the Childs Play series; Excellent first entry, but a quick slippery slope downhill into horrible, comedy-heavy horror-weak popcorn movies. I'm not sure why this evolution takes place to certain franchises, but its a total embarrassment to the franchises' character, they become un-scary joke-slinging abortions. They went the right direction with New Nightmare, but I think it was a case of too little too late.
IMO things can only go up from this point.

othervoice1
04-13-2009, 02:28 AM
Wow is everyone split on this poll! Good or bad I am sure I will see this remake when it comes out just like I saw the new Friday the 13th and Halloween when those came out.

DrHerbertWest
04-13-2009, 06:25 AM
I'm honestly not a big fan of the original but some of the sequels (notably Dream Warriors and Part 2) are awesome. I'll wait to see how it turns out but after seeing Friday The 13th, my hopes are miserably low.

Zillamon51
04-13-2009, 11:53 PM
A scary, less gimmick / joke Freddy was one of the strengths of FvJ.thats a joke, right?

That's what I was about to say! FvJ had Freddy at his absolutely worst in terms of pun slinging.

Ummm, no. Playing Nintendo w/ his Power Glove, eating little meatball people, and turning into a villain in a lame comic book were Freddy at his worst. His appearance in FvJ was certainly an improvement over parts 4, 5, and 6. (Even though I like Part 4, it's definitely where the humor / commercialization really started to get out of hand.)

delicreep
04-14-2009, 12:32 AM
Jackie Earle Haley as Freddy piques my interest. Great choice.

dave13
04-14-2009, 03:19 AM
Ummm, no. Playing Nintendo w/ his Power Glove, eating little meatball people, and turning into a villain in a lame comic book were Freddy at his worst. His appearance in FvJ was certainly an improvement over parts 4, 5, and 6. (Even though I like Part 4, it's definitely where the humor / commercialization really started to get out of hand.)

You're right, the character became more jokey with each progressive entry (with the exception of new nightmare). But in FvsJ he CONSTANTLY talks to the audience, appears as a worm puffing on a hookah, participates in ridiculous WWE style wrestling matches (complete with multiple pelvic thrusts), and gets shaken up by third-rate smack-talk from a member of destiny's child. In 4 and 5 his tone was jokey, but not consistently so. And yes, Freddy's Dead sucked, and maybe the character was just as lame in that as he was in FvsJ. But you can't say he was less goofy in FvsJ. It was tongue in cheek throughout the entire thing. I just watched it a few weeks ago and I cannot for the life of me remember a single scene that was played seriously.

Workshed
04-14-2009, 04:40 AM
I'm ready for a new Freddy.

Englund had a good run, and those movies aren't going anywhere.

thrashard76
04-14-2009, 12:50 PM
No. Freddy doesn't exist without Englund.

MacReady
04-16-2009, 09:09 PM
Ill check it out,on DVD at least.

It would be interesting to see a more "serious" Freddy. Less jokes,more deaths.

And who knows,mabye Robert Englund will continue on as Freddy in part 9 of the current series.

Mok
04-16-2009, 09:14 PM
I'll give him a chance. He looks like he'll have a similar vibe.

DVD-fanatic-9
04-16-2009, 09:35 PM
There is no Freddy (in movie form, literature is another thing entirely) without Robert Englund.

aoiookami
04-19-2009, 05:39 PM
I'm interested to see what they do with the ending in this remake, as I've always felt the ending for the original was a jumbled nonsensical mess...
Hopefully they tune the conclusion up a bit too, i.e. not have Nancy boobytrap the entire house within a matter of 5 minutes..

Bobbywoodhogan
04-19-2009, 10:10 PM
It was gonna be tough for whoever took over Robert Englund. I am very pleased and believe he will do a great job. We have to move on from englund who himself has had enough of been Fred Krueger.

Shannafey
04-19-2009, 10:12 PM
It's hard to imagine anyone but Englund in the role, but the person they picked gives me hope. He's a good actor and he looks the part. The jury is out, but unlike Jason, Michael Myers or Leatherface, Freddy had everything to do with the actor under the makeup!

aoiookami
04-20-2009, 03:48 AM
I'm watching the series over again lately, and checking out the trivia about each film on imdb. Check out this one, kinda interesting;
Johnny Depp accompanied friend Jackie Earle Haley to the auditions, where he was spotted by director Wes Craven, who asked him if he'd like to read for the part. Interestingly enough, Haley will be playing Freddy Krueger in A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010).

bigdaddyhorse
04-26-2009, 07:09 PM
Jury's out for me, but I fucking loved Haley as Rorshach in Watchmen so the hope level is high. I'll just have to see how it feels when he comes out on screen as Freddy, it could easily go either way. I do think some fresh blood could be exactly what the series needs. Count me in as I'll just have to see.