PDA

View Full Version : VUDU HD Download Service

Reverenddave
04-26-2009, 03:02 AM
High Def Digest has a review of the VUDU Movie Download Service.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Joshua_Zyber/Product_Review:_VUDU_Movie_Download_Service/2709

Looks like the HD technology is starting to come along. They offer two HD modes (HD & HDX). According to the review, HD is comparable to HD Cable TV and HDX is around 90% Blu-Ray quality.

Looking through their list, I see lots of good stuff that isn't available on blu-ray yet.

HD rentals are $6, which is a little pricey. I'd probably be happy with $4. And the prices to own are ridiculous $14-$24.

But it'd good the hear the video quality is improving. I might have to check this out. Anyone here using VUDU?

Sam
04-28-2009, 06:43 PM
I haven't used it but am seriously considering it to view exclusive 1080i/p content that may be on the backburner for a while before it hits Blu Ray.

Here are some of the (HDX-only) exclusives I noticed after browsing the list:

Kindergarten Cop
Babe
Coneheads
Iron Giant
All Dogs go to Heaven
Once Upon a Time in the West
Up in Smoke
Dolls
Dirty Work
Naked Gun
To Kill a Mockingbird
Bad News Bears
BASEketball
Friday 13th: Part 8
Jetsons movie
Cube
Naked Gun 2 1/2
Benny & Joon
Driving Miss Daisy
US Marshalls
Barbershop 2
Return of the Living Dead 2
Rosemary's Baby
48 Hours
Bad Lieutenant
Boomerang
Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey
Death Wish
Rocky IV
Detroit Rock City
Death Wish 3
Uncle Buck
Weird Science
Beverly Hills Cop
Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
Big Top Pee Wee
Beverly Hills Cop 2
Avengers, The
Masters of the Universe
Still Smokin'
Beverly Hills Cop 3
Jason Goes to Hell
From Beyond
Hudsucker Proxy
Blacula
Cool World
Idiocracy

I probably missed a bunch there but it gives you a ball park of what's unique at the time of this posting. A master list thread that keeps track of all the 'not on Blu Ray/HD DVD' titles may be a decent idea as this service picks up steam.

Grim
04-28-2009, 07:16 PM
This is cool for rentals and all, but I don't see how everyone is so crazy about this being the new way to own movies. There's just something about having a physical copy of a film that is completely lost with this.

burieddeep
04-28-2009, 09:56 PM
This is cool for rentals and all, but I don't see how everyone is so crazy about this being the new way to own movies. There's just something about having a physical copy of a film that is completely lost with this.

I have Vudu and I agree with you. It's great for renting movies but I still prefer owning discs as far as a collection goes. The HDX quality comes pretty close to Blu-Ray and it is certainly better quality than HD cable. Standard def rentals are DVD quality. Regular HD titles are about the same quality as HD cable. It's definitely worth $149.

KillerCannabis
04-29-2009, 06:57 PM
I like the idea, but I'd rather own the physical discs. That list got me drooling a bit, though.

Death Wish 3? In HD? Oh yea.

Katatonia
04-30-2009, 12:04 AM
It sounds cool for rentals, but I also like to physically own my movies. And 90% the quality of Blu-rays sounds like "rentals" to me.