PDA

View Full Version : Gojira a.k.a.Godzilla stomps on to blu-ray this september

fceurich39
05-07-2009, 12:59 AM
http://www.fangoria.com/home/news/16-dvd-a-blu-ray/2356-gojira-stomps-onto-blu-ray.html

if only classic media could get godzilla 1985 with both japenses and english version oh well here is the original film anyway

dave13
05-07-2009, 01:24 AM
the original classic media 2-disc release was pretty fantastic, but I'm pretty happy with it as is - can't see upgrading for any reason.

....although i think its awesome that these types of films are already getting hi-def treatment!

othervoice1
05-07-2009, 02:03 AM
Be interested in how much of an improvement this will/can be

Mattapooh
05-07-2009, 11:16 PM
Judging by the original DVD, probably not that much.

KR~!
05-08-2009, 12:58 AM
awesome news! Can't wait to see the new transfer

SaviniFan
05-08-2009, 01:30 AM
I'll wait for reviews before I decide to upgrade. I love me some G, but the current DVD is quite sufficient.

KillerCannabis
05-09-2009, 01:45 AM
I'm a TOTAL WHORE for Godzilla. Day 1 for me.

I'm drooling at the thought of the Showa-era films in 1080p.

bigdaddyhorse
05-09-2009, 05:19 PM
Be interested in how much of an improvement this will/can be

Judging by the original DVD, probably not that much.

I was thinking this when I saw the thread. If they still have 35mm film elements, it should look better, but I don't think they held back on the current dvd and that's no jaw-dropping transfer by any means.

Jeremy
05-09-2009, 06:41 PM
Since the Classic Media release came out Toho has done brand new HD restorations on the entire Godzilla series, so really, it will all boil down to whether or not CM has access to that for this release.

rxfiend
05-09-2009, 07:54 PM
I doubt CM has access to Toho's new HD transfers, so I imagine Toho's Blu-rays, whenever they decide to release them, will look better. Since Japan and the US is in the same region, hopefully Toho will at least include English subs on their releases. I doubt they will, but it'd be great if they did.

That being said, I think it's awesome that CM is releasing G films to blu-ray. I'll definitely be picking this up when it gets released.

Jeremy
05-09-2009, 08:47 PM
I doubt CM has access to Toho's new HD transfers

Why wouldn't they? Where do you think Classic Media got its transfers of the Japanese versions for all it's Kaiju releases? They have a very close working relationship with Toho.

True, there is a chance that Toho might decide to hold off on licensing out the new masters until their domestic market is fully saturated (worries about reverse importation were the reason it took so long for them to sign off on U.S. releases with their original language tracks), but if that was the case I'm surprised CM is even contractually allowed to release Gojira in HD at all.

Think positive folks!

rxfiend
05-10-2009, 06:40 AM
I think, and I could be wrong, that CM is just using their masters from their DVD releases, not the new HD transfers Toho created. I don't see Toho giving those to CM free of charge (and I highly doubt CM would pay them for them either).

Rockmjd
05-13-2009, 11:33 PM
I read on DVD Talk that his will just include the original Japanese version and not all of the special features.

X-human
05-14-2009, 01:43 AM
I read on DVD Talk that his will just include the original Japanese version and not all of the special features.

That's a bit of a disappointment, but I'd only watch the Japanese version anyways. My only concern is the thought of a follow up release with all the rest, which I would still want. While I don't mind the double dip on first adopters, we're a couple years away from that mindset and I'm looking to buy one and only one Blu-ray disc to cover my needs.

Classic Media has been pretty upfront about this stuff, so I'll wait and see what their plans are.

spawningblue
05-14-2009, 04:31 PM
That's a bit of a disappointment, but I'd only watch the Japanese version anyways. My only concern is the thought of a follow up release with all the rest, which I would still want. While I don't mind the double dip on first adopters, we're a couple years away from that mindset and I'm looking to buy one and only one Blu-ray disc to cover my needs.

Classic Media has been pretty upfront about this stuff, so I'll wait and see what their plans are.

There have already been quite a few double dips on Blu Ray, which is just ridiculous considering the prices! They should have put all the extras on them from the beginning considering they were already done for the DVD. Although they are getting better, every now and then you still see a lazy bare bones release which makes no sense to me other then greed.

Darga
05-14-2009, 04:50 PM
It's great that the Big G is making his way to Blu-ray, but the Classic Media 2-disc DVD is probably good enough for me. I might pick up a used copy for cheap sometime down the line, depending on how good it looks.

KillerCannabis
05-16-2009, 06:03 PM
No US cut? Dropped extras? Fuck. Now I'm passing on this. I refuse to support subpar releases.

bigdaddyhorse
05-16-2009, 08:38 PM
No US cut is a bummer. I had a blast watching the original Japanese version for the first time, then running the US version right after.
It's actually brilliant how they integrated Burr into the US version, with some extras who look just like original cast (not a racist jab, with the costumes and makeup they blended perfect). I was half laughing at how well old film tricks worked, and half amazed at how well they worked at the same time.