PDA

View Full Version : So where are they?

chrismac87
05-09-2009, 08:44 PM
So HD DVD is dead...Blu Ray has reigned supreme.

So why is it that films that came out on the dead format have yet to surface on the surviving one?

Universal in particular seems to be more guilty than anything here with titles like TREMORS, THE FRIGHTENERS, SHAUN OF THE DEAD, HOT FUZZ, just to name a few, that made it to a high def format but haven't progressed to the new one.

Anyone have any ideas as to what the hold up might be? The high def transfers are obviously there, other films like LAND OF THE DEAD, DAWN OF THE DEAD, THE THING, have made the transition - so what's going on wit these ones? Not just these but others everyone's been waiting for.

Thoughts?

Reverenddave
05-10-2009, 08:29 AM
I can think of two reasons.

First, there's many titles that didn't sell well on HD-DVD, so there's no rush to put them out on Blu-Ray. They might be waiting for replication costs to come down.

Second, they're holding some catalog titles to tie-in with future releases. Peter Jackson's got Lovely Bones coming out in December. Pegg & Wright have another movie in the works.

dickieduvet
05-10-2009, 10:51 AM
I think Universal are holding out for Halloween again, An American Werewolf In London sp ed is also forthcoming which makes the original HD-DVD redundant, Expect The Frighteners, Tremors etc.. in Oct.

Katatonia
05-10-2009, 11:49 AM
Universal kind of blows re-releasing many of their HD-DVD titles to Blu-ray.

For The Thing Blu-ray they applied DNR to the image, whereas the HD-DVD transfer had none. The Scorpion King (and others) had most of the HD-DVD bonus features chopped off on the later Blu-ray reissues, etc.

Dave
05-10-2009, 11:57 AM
I read Timecop sold poorly on HD-DVD and they were not planning a blu-ray release. I'm sure it's going to be a title-by-title basis. In some respects that is good, such as Army of Darkness getting more love on blu-ray, but in most of the cases it seems to be bad. Yet another reason to own both formats (on top of the fact that most of the HD-DVDs are easily under $5.00).

rxfiend
05-10-2009, 05:17 PM
Some of the Weinstein's HD-DVDs haven't crossed over yet either.

rxfiend
05-10-2009, 05:21 PM
I think Universal are holding out for Halloween again, An American Werewolf In London sp ed is also forthcoming which makes the original HD-DVD redundant, Expect The Frighteners, Tremors etc.. in Oct.

It's not just horror, as there are quite a few Universal titles, from all genres, still in the HD-DVD only column. 12 Monkeys, Dazed and Confused, Smokey & the Bandit, Half Baked, Unleashed, and Mallrats are just some of the Universal HDs I have that are still exclusive to the format.

2D4EVER
05-10-2009, 06:05 PM
STREETS OF FIRE!!!!!! That's on the top of my list.

It's me, Billy
05-11-2009, 10:05 AM
Some of the Weinstein's HD-DVDs haven't crossed over yet either.

Yep, like Black Christmas (2006). Although it doesn't really matter to me because...

1.) I've got the HD DVD

and

2.) It was released on Blu-ray Disc in Canada from TVA/Columbia which I also own.

Still, it's strange that Weinstein hasn't released the film on BD here in the US. Maybe the HD DVD sold poorly?

It's not just horror, as there are quite a few Universal titles, from all genres, still in the HD-DVD only column. 12 Monkeys, Dazed and Confused, Smokey & the Bandit, Half Baked, Unleashed, and Mallrats are just some of the Universal HDs I have that are still exclusive to the format.

I wish Criterion would release Dazed and Confused on Blu-ray just like they did on DVD. I have Mallrats on HD DVD and it looks outstanding. It's just amazing how good the picture looks.

BrokeNads
05-11-2009, 06:15 PM
Is not easy because Bluray is not sell like they want and dvd is number 1. I think is still not enought time. Is still chance blurays is maybe die same like hd dvd because is not many people intrest. Is maybe to take 5 or 10 years for blurays to go strong because is not only for bluray player and discs but is also invest for a new tv and also 5.1 system. Is many money for normal person to upgraded all this only for better picture and is not enough because some dvd is very good quality. I am wait and I want to buy bluray player and to include 5.1 speakers all together but is not make yet or is to much expense. When is come this I will buy new tv. But I will not buy blurays much because is ok to see upconverted dvds and is ok then to buy again disc in bluray. Only blurays I will want is for my favorite movies only and is not many especial Jacob's Ladder. This is need new edition.

Regurgitate
05-11-2009, 11:23 PM
I was wondering this myself because I am hoping for a similar deal from Paramount and Universal like what Warner did with their Red2Blu program. I have a number of Universal titles that do not have a Blu Ray equivalent yet.

chrismac87
05-12-2009, 09:31 AM
Well I'm really hoping films like TREMORS and THE FRIGHTENERS all get the Blu treatment because I've seen these two in HD and they're incredible. HOT FUZZ and SHAUN OF THE DEAD I'm sure are the same but I've yet to see those so I cannot judge!