PDA

View Full Version : Hardware a.k.a. m.a.r.k. 13 finally coming to DVD and Blu-ray

fceurich39
05-15-2009, 10:19 PM
check out the link coming from Severin films who would of thought they would get the rights to this film i'm really stoked

http://www.fangoria.com/home/news/16-dvd-a-blu-ray/2468-at-last-hardware-coming-on-special-edition-discs.html

Ash28M
05-15-2009, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I'll get that on Blu-Ray.

old-boo-radley
05-15-2009, 11:55 PM
Jesus fucking hell screwballs is getting released on dvd!

"Exploitation fans will also enjoy the news that Severin’s Carl Daft and Gregory are also preparing the U.S. DVDebut of SCREWBALLS, the raunchy 1983 drive-in fave from Roger Corman and director Rafal Zielinski. This one will also be accompanied by a bunch of brand new special features; look for it to bounce onto shelves in August."

SaviniFan
05-16-2009, 12:09 AM
I've had to deal with the less than stellar uncut "Red Edition" import for a few years. It's uncut, but full frame and quite muddy....kinda like watching a well worn VHS. I hope this happens and doesn't get brushed aside again. I'll get the blu-ray for sure.

Myron Breck
05-16-2009, 12:35 AM
HOORAY!!! :banana:

Katatonia
05-16-2009, 12:48 AM
U.S. DVD and Blu-ray eh? Awesome, I was almost going to order the forthcoming UK DVD (The Blu is Region B locked) but this is GREAT NEWS!!! I'm glad I didn't pre-order it now. :)

And Screwballs on DVD?!?!? Also awesome! I own the R4 DVD, but I'm sure that Severin's transfer will blow that out of the water.

bwana the clown
05-16-2009, 03:53 AM
Woo-hoo! This is what I want, and this is what I'll damn well finally get!

:banana:

eric_angelus
05-16-2009, 04:20 AM
Nice! I had almost forgotten how much I liked this movie!

Myron Breck
05-16-2009, 04:45 AM
Nice! I had almost forgotten how much I liked this movie!

Hell, I haven't seen it since it graced the screen here in the US...who can say if I even like it anymore??? BUT WHO CARES?! I'm stoked.:D

Shannafey
05-16-2009, 04:46 AM
WOW!! Glad I didn't pre-order the Region 2 copy yet. I'll wait for this one! I'm tempted to get my Blu Ray player for this release and Watchmen!

Erick H.
05-16-2009, 08:39 AM
Haven't seen it since it's theatrical run,deserves another look.

Stige
05-16-2009, 09:00 AM
pre ordered on blu , can't wait

Mattapooh
05-16-2009, 01:38 PM
I've never even seen this, I think I was pretty much waiting for this to happen. I blind bought Dust Devil and thought it was a really interesting (but very flawed) flick, plus Richard Stanley seems like someone that should be making some good flicks right now. Can't wait to grab this.

Actually, I can't wait to grab Screwballs either. Really cool stuff!

Shannafey
05-16-2009, 05:54 PM
It looks like the special features on both the R1 and R2 are very different. I will have to wait and see! Maybe I'll buy them both. I really love this film!

Vlachio
05-16-2009, 06:12 PM
I don't think I ever got around to seeing this film. I do though recall watching like 12 min of on skinomax years ago.

Katatonia
05-17-2009, 12:42 AM
It looks like the special features on both the R1 and R2 are very different. I will have to wait and see! Maybe I'll buy them both. I really love this film!

Yeah, the more I think about it... I think I'll probably just order the R2 DVD after it's released. It's really not that expensive. And then later in the fall (unless it's delayed) I'll go ahead and buy the R1 Blu-ray.

SaviniFan
05-17-2009, 01:10 AM
This is what you want, this is what you get.........

Shannafey
05-17-2009, 02:55 PM
Yeah, the more I think about it... I think I'll probably just order the R2 DVD after it's released. It's really not that expensive. And then later in the fall (unless it's delayed) I'll go ahead and buy the R1 Blu-ray.

Yeah, good idea! I don't have a Blu Ray player yet, but that sounds like a plan. Buy the R2 and then get the US Blu Ray (when I get that player!!).

Katatonia
06-26-2009, 07:57 AM
Diabolik DVD has both the DVD and Blu-ray up for pre-order. It looks like September 29th will be the day:

Hardware DVD (http://www.diabolikdvd.com/category/Cult-Favorites/Hardware-DVD-(Severin-~-Uncut-Uncensored-Version)-(NTSC-All-Region).html)

NTSC All Region
Uncut Uncensored Version!
DD 5.1 Audio
Anamorphic Widescreen
2 DVD SE
Audio Commentary with Richard Stanley
Sea of Perdition - Short Film
Making of Documentary
Early Super 8 Version of Hardware
Please note that it has been announced that the first 10,000 copies of the DVD will be in a Tin.

Hardware Blu-ray (http://www.diabolikdvd.com/category/Cult-Favorites/Hardware-(Severin-~-Uncut-Uncensored-Version)-(Blu~Ray-All-Region).html)

Blu-Ray All Region
Uncut Uncensored Version!
1080p HD Resolution
DD 5.1 Audio
Anamorphic Widescreen
Audio Commentary with Richard Stanley
Sea of Perdition - Short Film
Making of Documentary
Early Super 8 Version of Hardware

fceurich39
06-26-2009, 04:57 PM
yep dvdaf has it listed as well since they are both identical i'll probably get the dvd

Katatonia
06-26-2009, 05:12 PM
yep dvdaf has it listed as well since they are both identical i'll probably get the dvd

Why though, if you have the choice? It doesn't even look like there'll be much of a price difference. HKFlix are also only listing a $4 price difference between the DVD and Blu-ray.

The only thing is the limited tin package, but it's really the meat of the disc content that interests me the most. The screengrabs (http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies.php?id=5009&show=screenshots) (not full 1080p grabs) that I've seen from the new UK Blu-ray of Hardware look really superb, not to mention an uncompressed PCM audio track. Hopefully the Severin release will feature the same, and since it's being licensed from the same studio a good probability.

fceurich39
06-26-2009, 05:16 PM
Why though, if you have the choice? It doesn't even look like there'll be much of a price difference. HKFlix are also only listing a $4 price difference between the DVD and Blu-ray.

The only thing is the limited tin package, but it's really the meat of the disc content that interests me the most. The screengrabs (http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies.php?id=5009&show=screenshots) (not full 1080p grabs) that I've seen from the new UK Blu-ray of Hardware look really superb, not to mention an uncompressed PCM audio track. Hopefully the Severin release will feature the same, and since it's being licensed from the same studio a good probability.

if there isn't a big price difference i'll get blu-ray and depends usually dvd versions of lesser known movies are easier to find in stores and also sept and oct are loaded every year with horror movies gotta be able to afford em all

Shannafey
06-27-2009, 03:06 PM
I should have the R2 DVD next week. It is on its way from Amazon UK. I want to get the US version too, because of the Super 8 version of the film. The fact that there's going to be a tin sells me on it more!! The R2 release has a lot more on it and there are some cool extras bundled in it. As far as I can see, I don't think it has the original Super 8 version though (which doesn't make sense!). If it does, I might skip the US release altogether and just rebuy it someday on Blu Ray, if I ever decide to get a player!

EDIT: From what I can gather, it looks like the UK edition has the Super 8 short on it and it still has a hell of a lot more special features, including art cards and a reprint of the original comic Shok! (which I tracked down an original copy of years ago!!).

UK exclusive commentary with the director and producer
- Voices of the Moon - documentary by Richard Stanley
- Richard Stanley sci-fi short - Road to Perdition
- Two of Richard Stanley’s Super 8 shorts
- Never before seen deleted, extended and behind the scenes clips
- Original market promo
- Set of original concept art cards
- Booklet containing linear notes written by Kim Newman and Shok!

I'll have to check out that US release when it comes out, but I'm excited to get the R2 Disc!!

maskull
06-27-2009, 05:47 PM
I've been putting of going Blu Ray due to lack of cash....but this release alone is really making me reconsider. Perfect flick for me to jump into the Blu with.

....oh well I'll definitely buy it, whichever format it ends up being on. Must have good copy of this movie!!!

Katatonia
06-28-2009, 12:45 AM
I should have the R2 DVD next week. It is on its way from Amazon UK.

Post your thoughts here when you get it Shanna. I've been debating over whether to order the R2 DVD or just hold out for the R1 Blu-ray...but those art cards and the reprint comic sound so worth it! :nervous:

It's interesting that the UK DVD is a single-disc, but the forthcoming US DVD will be a 2-disc. Higher bitrate perhaps, or are they finally re-releasing the soundtrack CD?

Funktion
06-28-2009, 03:55 AM
I own the UK Blu-Ray disc of Hardware, and it's definitely a wonderful release.
I previously saw Hardware through a murky VHS tape, and later on the not much better German DVD. Seeing the film on this Blu-Ray disc is like watching a brand new film, it looks awesome. I don't recall seeing any print damage, the colors and detail are great, and the film has a nice grainy look. I don't think anyone will be disappointed with this transfer, especially considering the history of unavailability and bad releases this film has.

As for the extras, there's plenty, and easily worth the price of the disc. First of all, on the non-video side of things, this release includes a booklet that has the original comic book story from which the film was based. Also, there's a few nice cards with artwork (check Amazon.co.uk's listing, you can see both of these items pictured). As for the extras on the actual disc:
-there's an audio commentary track with the director Richard Stanley and the film's producer
-there's a section labeled "deleted, extended and behind-the-scenes", which basically has deleted footage and outtakes in a bit of a rough shape, but still perfectly watchable; the behind-the-scenes footage mentioned on the title of this section is because one of the outtakes included features the actual shooting of the scene, so it's both an outtake and there's behind-the-scenes footage
-there's a 4 min. "original promo" for the film, which is more or less an extended trailer with not-so-final audio/video, and it's in a bit of a rough shape (it's clearly tape sourced, and there's a video drop-out near the end); still, it's nice to have it included
-there's a quite lengthy documentary by Richard Stanley, "Voice of the Moon", about Afghanistan.
-there's two early Super 8 short films by Richard Stanley in rough shape (the guy was in high school when he shot them), "Rites of Passage" (about 10 minutes) and the quite lengthy "Incidents in an Expanding Universe" (over 40 minutes), which is surely what is listed as the "Early Super 8 Version of Hardware" on the US release, since it shares some familiarities with Hardware (the director himself acknowledges this, saying Hardware is basically a different take on the story of this short)
-there's a recent short film by Stanley, with great audio/video quality, titled "The Sea of Perdition", which is visually interesting

You can see some screenshots from the Blu-ray here (http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies.php?id=5009&show=screenshots).

All in all, this is a great release.

Katatonia
06-28-2009, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the info Funktion!

It looks like the UK release certainly has more extras listed than the US pre-release information...but who knows for sure yet. I have "Voice of the Moon" on the Dust Devil 5-disc set already, so no loss there. I guess the only thing on the UK Blu-ray that's actually in HD though is the film itself?

Funktion
06-28-2009, 03:11 PM
I guess the only thing on the UK Blu-ray that's actually in HD though is the film itself?
I believe all extras are in SD (I'm not home at the moment, so I can't re-check; the only thing I'm currently not sure are the deleted scenes, the quality was not very good, if they were in HD it wasn't noticeable). Even the recent short, "The Sea of Perdition", which like I mentioned has very nice video quality, is in SD (but with a high (for a DVD) bitrate).

Shannafey
06-28-2009, 05:22 PM
It's interesting that the UK DVD is a single-disc, but the forthcoming US DVD will be a 2-disc. Higher bitrate perhaps, or are they finally re-releasing the soundtrack CD?

You're right! I didn't realize it was a 1 DVD release. I can't see how all of that could be on 1 DVD without sacrificing bitrate unless it is an 18 gig flipper. I hope the stuff looks good, as I will be very disappointed. As long as I was ordering from Amazon UK, I through in the Creepshow SE, which I doubt will ever be seen in the US, since the Blu Ray was released with no extras.

Shannafey
06-30-2009, 04:45 AM
I got the DVD in the mail today and I'm very disappointed!! Wait for the US release and don't touch this one. Everything is crammed onto a single one sided DVD and the quality suffers because of it. Not a horrible transfer, but you can see the limitations of only using 3.6gb for the movie. Also, there's no 5.1 audio and the non-DVD extras are bullshit! The art cards are worthless crap and the ashcan comic is so small it is ridiculous! What a waste of my money! I love this film, but it would have been a better choice to wait it out and get the US release (which I will be buying now as well!).

Katatonia
06-30-2009, 07:48 AM
3.6gb? I hate when studios do that. Hell, anyone can maximize the bitrate with a simple DVD mastering program!

Thanks Shanna, I was seriously thinking of ordering it, but I'll just wait and get the R1 Blu-ray...and perhaps the 2-disc DVD tin also.

Shannafey
07-01-2009, 12:24 AM
3.6gb? I hate when studios do that. Hell, anyone can maximize the bitrate with a simple DVD mastering program!

Thanks Shanna, I was seriously thinking of ordering it, but I'll just wait and get the R1 Blu-ray...and perhaps the 2-disc DVD tin also.

There might be a couple of extras that aren't on the R1 DVD, but it really isn't worth picking it up. I am going to get the DVD tin as well. I already have 3 copies of the film. I have the old VHS, a Hong Kong VCD of the uncut version I picked up ages ago (a very cool collector's item) and that new DVD. When it is one of my all time favs, I don't mind rebuying it when new editions are worthwhile. If the quality were better on the R2 edition and it had a 5.1 track, I would have skipped rebuying it and on that same note, if I had known in advance how bad this one was, I would have just waited it out for the R1 tin. Hind sight is 20/20, that's why I figured you all should know about this and not waste your time.

Funktion
07-01-2009, 02:31 PM
It's surprising the R2 DVD release is so lacking, considering how good the Blu-Ray release is.
They should have went for a 2 disc set, considering this release has about 2 hours of extras alone.

Myron Breck
07-04-2009, 09:09 PM
Wow. Thanks, Shanna! You just saved me some time and money.

Odin
07-07-2009, 04:48 PM
Will get the blu-ray of this for sure. The R2 version sounds disappointing.

edit: i meant the R2 dvd, not the region B blu-ray.

Stige
07-07-2009, 06:03 PM
actually the bluray region B looked pretty amazing to me great shadow detail , and the commentary is very well done. had a constant bitrate of 25-30Mbps when i checked . Also the orangy tint that all other versions have had ( and I assumed was the color scheme decided on by R. S.) was very different Colors looked natural and more vibrant during the day with a different hue most of the time.

MIGHT buy the american bluray if the DTS-Master soundtrack is amazing, the optimum is only PCM 2.0 surround

Funktion
07-08-2009, 04:17 PM
actually the bluray region B looked pretty amazing to me great shadow detail , and the commentary is very well done. had a constant bitrate of 25-30Mbps when i checked . Also the orangy tint that all other versions have had ( and I assumed was the color scheme decided on by R. S.) was very different Colors looked natural and more vibrant during the day with a different hue most of the time.
Yeah, I already made a few remarks about the UK BD earlier in this thread, I don't know how the DVD is, but the Blu-Ray disc is great. There's no reason for anyone that owns a Blu-Ray player capable of playing Region B discs to avoid it.
Frankly, I didn't expect the disc to look as good as it does, especially with the film's troubled home video historic.

Shannafey
07-26-2009, 01:59 AM
BTW: For those who want the very hard to find, OOP soundtrack...

http://www.everythingisundercontrol.org/soundtrack.html

maskull
08-03-2009, 10:23 PM
Artwork for the Severin DVD:

http://www.dreadcentral.com/img/news/aug09/hardware.jpg

Dread Central Link (http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/32849/hardware-dvd-art-surfaces)

fceurich39
08-03-2009, 11:23 PM
Audio Commentary with Director Richard Stanley
* Exclusive Making-Of Documentary Featuring All-New Interviews with Cast and Crew
* 'Incidents In An Expanding Universe' - Early Super 8 Version of HARDWARE
* 'The Sea of Perdition' - 2006 Richard Stanley Short Film
* 'Rites of Passage' - Early Richard Stanley Short Film
* Richard Stanley on Hardware 2
* Theatrical Trailer
* Deleted, Extended & Behind-the-Scenes Footage

also go here for complete specs
http://www.joblo.com/arrow/index.php?id=17676

Katatonia
08-04-2009, 03:22 AM
I have the Blu-ray (along with Screwballs) on pre-order at Amazon. This one has me salivating!

I guess Severin has changed the coverart design then?

fceurich39
08-04-2009, 05:10 AM
i liked the cover art that was posted at diaboldvd website better than the new art

indiephantom
08-04-2009, 08:26 AM
I have the Blu-ray (along with Screwballs) on pre-order at Amazon. This one has me salivating!

ditto.

fceurich39
09-16-2009, 05:39 PM
new clip from the hardware dvd/blu-ray release coming sept 29th
http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/17385/

Hellbilly
09-16-2009, 05:52 PM
new clip from the hardware dvd/blu-ray release coming sept 29th
In the clip it says Oct 13 :D;)

Looks great though!

Grim
09-16-2009, 06:43 PM
Never seen this, but it looks interesting. I'll probably pick this up. It's refreshing to still actually be able to find cult flicks that I haven't seen yet.

fceurich39
09-16-2009, 07:27 PM
yep unfortunatly i just got an email from severin saying it was a two week delay because they wanted to make sure they have enough copies available everywhere

Grim
09-16-2009, 10:49 PM
I'm kind of glad it's pushed back. September, with all the blu-rays and my tattoo, has been wiping me out.

SaviniFan
09-17-2009, 12:49 AM
I'm psyched for this release on blu-ray. The documentary should be sweet.

Katatonia
09-17-2009, 01:06 AM
As long as it's not delayed yet again, fine. The release date's been pushed back possibly several times now, twice for certain.

fceurich39
10-05-2009, 02:46 AM
As long as it's not delayed yet again, fine. The release date's been pushed back possibly several times now, twice for certain.

i think the dvd got pushed back another week most websites now say it is oct 20th and also blu-ray still says oct 13th on most websites though

what the heck is going on with this title i thought the oct 13th date was set in stone

Nailwraps
10-05-2009, 02:49 AM
Maybe Severin is putting the final touches for the DVD. Incidently, Universal is releasing the Blu-Ray Drag Me To Hell first on 10/13/09 while the DVD will be released 10/20/09. But that's nonsense a movie should arrive on both DVD and Blu-Ray the same day! Not the Blu-Ray the first week and the DVD the next.

Katatonia
10-05-2009, 03:06 AM
i think the dvd got pushed back another week most websites now say it is oct 20th and also blu-ray still says oct 13th on most websites though

what the heck is going on with this title i thought the oct 13th date was set in stone

No clue. Severin seems to be worse with release dates than Media Blasters lately. The Screwballs Blu-ray release date has been pushed back at least 4 times now.

There are two reviews up for Hardware though:

http://www.avmaniacs.com/review.php?id=1001
http://www.mondo-digital.com/hardware.html

It looks like the Blu-ray won't have a lossless audio track.

fceurich39
10-07-2009, 05:58 PM
Maybe Severin is putting the final touches for the DVD. Incidently, Universal is releasing the Blu-Ray Drag Me To Hell first on 10/13/09 while the DVD will be released 10/20/09. But that's nonsense a movie should arrive on both DVD and Blu-Ray the same day! Not the Blu-Ray the first week and the DVD the next.

got confirmation that universal dvd and blu-ray of drag me to hell is coming both on oct 13th
also severin emailed me saying the blu-ray of Hardware is in fact coming oct 13th and 2 disc dvd on oct 20th

fceurich39
10-08-2009, 01:45 AM
also here is the back cover art for blu-ray
http://www.axelmusic.com/productDetails/891635001698

MorallySound
10-08-2009, 04:47 PM
Hardware promo video featuring Lemmy: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=128362

Katatonia
10-13-2009, 12:59 AM
My Hardware Blu-ray shipped from Amazon today, and will be here on Wednesday.

No sign of Screwballs shipping yet, I guess it really has been delayed...yet again! :mad:

fceurich39
10-13-2009, 02:18 AM
my local store got both in stock the dvd is 24.99 and blu-ray is 20.99 i guess it's a no brainer which one i'll get

SickNick89
10-13-2009, 02:42 AM
Picked up my copy of the blu ray at Besy Buy today.

old-boo-radley
10-15-2009, 05:58 AM
I got the Blu-ray yesterday and reviewed it today. I am so not much for sci-fi, but this one still had some great visuals.

http://www.oh-the-horror.com/page.php?id=583

And, the Blu-ray is fucking fantastic for a 20 year old genre film. I didn't even notice any annoying DNR.

Katatonia
10-15-2009, 11:56 AM
The Blu-ray looks superb. The picture is sharp, the colors are rich, and it appears very filmlike...grain and all. I thankfully didn't notice any DNR tinkering either.

I did notice a few differences in the film title and credits that differ from the old VHS and German DVD editions. I'm not sure if the original negative had slightly different credits or what, but no big deal.

The audio is quite good, but not outstanding. Encoded as Dolby Digital 5.1 at a standard 448kps, we're not getting the full clarity of an uncompressed/lossless track...but it still sounds good. There's also the original Dolby Surround 2.0 track included.

I haven't gone through all the extras yet, but they seem solid and the new featurettes/interviews are in full HD.

BlackAndBlu81
10-19-2009, 10:26 PM
Picked up the Severin blu-ray yesterday. Im really impressed with it. It looks even better then the Region B UK import Blu-ray I have. Colors seem more vibrant and the print has less damage.

pwrslave
10-29-2009, 09:10 PM
Does anyone know if the steelbook version of this was ever released? I don't know if Severin backed out, but the 2-disc DVD was supposed to be limited to 10,000 copies packaged in a limited steelbook. I can't find details on this anywhere. Thanks!

fceurich39
10-29-2009, 10:06 PM
Does anyone know if the steelbook version of this was ever released? I don't know if Severin backed out, but the 2-disc DVD was supposed to be limited to 10,000 copies packaged in a limited steelbook. I can't find details on this anywhere. Thanks!

i heard it was cancelled it was one of the reasons i think of 3 week delay of the dvd

pwrslave
10-29-2009, 11:06 PM
Boooo...oh well. Guess I will just pick up the regular version then.

KamuiX
10-31-2009, 06:08 AM
Here's my personal review of this phenomenal sci-fi flick (and one of the best cult releases of the year): http://infini-tropolis.com/reviews/hardware.html

mlock
02-22-2010, 07:33 AM
I already posted my thoughts on this little gem in the science fiction section, but long story short, I bought the blu ray and was blown away by the transfer and features. Kudos to Severin Films!:D

fceurich39
02-23-2010, 12:14 AM
I already posted my thoughts on this little gem in the science fiction section, but long story short, I bought the blu ray and was blown away by the transfer and features. Kudos to Severin Films!:D

good choice as i hear the 2 disc dvd has alot of freezing defective discs no problems with the blu-ray of course

SaxCatz
07-29-2010, 03:26 PM
I Netflix'd the Blu-Ray due to numerous recommendations here and elsewhere.
My take:
Yes, Severin did a pretty good job with this disc for their first Blu-Ray release. I would say a superb job if not for two issues. First, there is some print damage that appears as though it could have been restored pretty successfully but has not been. Second, there appears to be an authoring error of some nature that present any sort of timeline (time elapse/time remaining) from being displayed on some- or all- Blu-Ray players.
Now, as far as the film goes, I have to say... IT STINKS. I am shocked that there are so many fans of this film. It is extremely slow to get moving. This is a "killer robot" movie where there is no "killer robot" for the first 45 minutes. The post-apocalyptic vision of the future is ok but seems to be inconsistent within itself. There are plot-holes big enough to float the Queen Mary through. And, when the killing finally starts, it is mostly disappointing with the only "good" kill in the film commited by a DOOR. It is absolutely preposterous that a multi-limbed (they state seven but I never counted so many) "killer" robot could corner a- up to that point- helpless female in the shower and a "struggle" would ensue rather than just gratuitous blood-letting. And the style- I enjoy the heavy metal/punk fusion style of the majority of the movie reasonably well; but the, suddenly, that all changes and we are left with some kind of attempt at a trippy, acid-fueled experience that just doesn't work at all.
GAWD... I just can't get over this. All I though about all night was how BAD I felt this movie was and how shocked I am that it has so many fans.

Chomp
07-29-2010, 04:35 PM
See, I love this movie. It’s definitely not a perfect film, but I really emerge myself in the post-apocalyptic atmosphere the film sets up in the first half. It seems the “post-apocalyptness” does indeed get lost when the second half picks up and the MARK-13 begins its terror. So, I guess the transition could have been a little smoother if the budget were a little bigger, but I think the “low-budgetness” is part of the film’s charm.

As for the MARK-13 not being able to destroy Jill…you have to remember MARK-13 was not in its complete state. Parts were missing as well as it had been rotting out in the zones for quite some time. It’s certainly not going to be the efficient killer it once used to be.

The “trippy, acid-fueled experience" was actually an attempted homage to the early Argento-style of film-making that Richard Stanley is a huge fan of. The whole film is actually an homage to the Italian gialli genre of films. The slow buildup, the killer in the apartment within close quarters, and the trippy cinematography….replace MARK-13 with a killer in black gloves and Hardware can basically be considered a giallo flick.

Hardware is certainly an interesting film that wears its "social commentary heart" on its sleeve. I have to say I was more than impressed by the transfer on the Blu Ray disc. Considering what I was used to watching, the Severin transfer is leaps and bounds better than anything previously released. It’s definitely one of my favorite Blu Ray discs that I own.

fceurich39
07-29-2010, 05:11 PM
walmart is selling the single disc dvd in stores

SaxCatz
07-30-2010, 04:41 AM
The “trippy, acid-fueled experience" was actually an attempted homage to the early Argento-style of film-making that Richard Stanley is a huge fan of. The whole film is actually an homage to the Italian gialli genre of films. The slow buildup, the killer in the apartment within close quarters, and the trippy cinematography….replace MARK-13 with a killer in black gloves and Hardware can basically be considered a giallo flick.

I can see this. However, I still stand by my previous comment- acid trip or Argento homage, it just doesn't work. I almost feel like the film changed director's half-way through. Although I found the first half to be slow, it was vastly superior in direction and concept to the second half. The best way I think I can put it- in both plotting and production values- the first half felt like a low-budget, poorly-paced "Blade Runner" (not such a bad thing) while the second half felt more like "Carnosaur 2."