PDA

View Full Version : Severin Jumps into Blu-ray with 'Inglorious Bastards'

X-human
05-17-2009, 10:49 PM
Newcomer Severin has announced its debut Blu-ray release, setting a late-July date for the '70s cult epic 'The Inglorious Bastards.' Timed to coincide with the upcoming theatrical release of Quentin Tarantino's unusually titled 'Inglourious Basterds,' the indie distributor will debut the 1978 war drama on July 28.

Severin has yet to issue any final tech specs or supplement details for its maiden Blu-ray, but as always, we'll keep you posted on all of the indie's future announcements.
Suggested retail price for the Blu-ray has been set at $34.95.http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Severin/Disc_Announcements/Severin_Jumps_into_Blu-ray_with_Bastards/2808

Now when are we going to get the XXX Sinful Dwarf in HD?

Katatonia
05-17-2009, 11:34 PM
I'm wondering how good this will actually look. I seem to recall that the original DVD transfer had image issues and wasn't sourced from a pristine negative.

I'm more looking forward to Severin's Blu-ray release of Castellari's Eagles Over London.

dave13
05-18-2009, 01:27 AM
"Timed to coincide with the upcoming theatrical release of Quentin Tarantino's unusually titled 'Inglourious Basterds'[sic]..."

i didn't realize that having your remake carry the same name as the original was "unusual".

Katatonia
05-18-2009, 01:49 AM
"Timed to coincide with the upcoming theatrical release of Quentin Tarantino's unusually titled 'Inglourious Basterds'[sic]..."

i didn't realize that having your remake carry the same name as the original was "unusual".

I think they meant "unusual" due to the remake's intentional spelling error of the title.

dave13
05-18-2009, 06:10 AM
I think they meant "unusual" due to the remake's intentional spelling error of the title.

ha! i never realized that. i actually thought it was the person who wrote the article being a dumbass and misspelling the word.

Crystal Plumage
07-24-2009, 11:59 AM
Two contradicting reviews:

http://10kbullets.com/reviews/i/inglorious-bastards-the-bluray/
this BluRay release improves upon it in every way as colors and flesh tones look more accurate and details have never looked sharper than they do on this transfer.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews39/inglorious_bastards.htm
I'm going to have to check our equipment but something here doesn't seem right. I am aware that the DVD edition had some black boosting and sharpening while this Blu-ray seems to have avoided this practice, but the image at 1080P seems marginally horizontally stretched (abnormally fatter faces). The Blu-ray image also seems a bit hazier.

I'll get in touch with Severin and find out if my screener is the final release copy. I actually prefer the lack of boosting but remain curious. Actually in-motion the presentation seems quite fine but I still have these queries when putting it under the microscope of comparable computer screen captures.

SaviniFan
07-24-2009, 12:56 PM
I'm fine with the 3 disc DVD release and don't plan to upgrade.

meddle
07-24-2009, 05:08 PM
Two contradicting reviews:

http://10kbullets.com/reviews/i/inglorious-bastards-the-bluray/

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews39/inglorious_bastards.htm

Did you look at the screenshots posted in both reviews? When compared to the transfer for the DVD the BluRay is without a doubt the better looking of the two. Also I did not notice any horizontal stretching of the image that that review mentions.

Crystal Plumage
07-24-2009, 05:20 PM
I'm not saying who is right or wrong. Just pointing out differences in reviews.
Seems to me the BR show a bit more info on the sides.

Crystal Plumage
07-24-2009, 05:26 PM
Don't see the "stretching" either.

meddle
07-24-2009, 08:04 PM
I'm not saying who is right or wrong. Just pointing out differences in reviews.
Seems to me the BR show a bit more info on the sides.

No harm, no fool. It is always good to have multiple views on the same material. :)

I actually prefer how the skin tones / colors look on the BluRay verses how they looked on the DVD.

X-human
07-24-2009, 11:13 PM
I can see what they're saying about the squeezing, but I would actually say the opposite and that the DVD looks slightly more pinched. People's heads seem too square in comparison to the Blu-ray, which seem more rounded. The Blu looks more natural in that regard. There's a difference, but the assumption that it's the Blu-ray at fault is that of the reviewer: either transfer could be incorrect.

Katatonia
07-25-2009, 01:38 AM
I'm fine with the 3 disc DVD release and don't plan to upgrade.

Same here, it doesn't look like a massive enough upgrade to double dip. And, I'd want to keep the 3-disc DVD for the soundtrack CD.

KamuiX
08-10-2009, 09:41 PM
I just watched the Inglorious Bastards Blu-Ray last night (will post my review when I get it done), and I think people are selling the transfer a little short. For a 30 year old cult film, it looks really, really good. Flesh tones look natural, there's some great depth, nice natural grain, and really good, crisp definition. I was ready to be unimpressed after the reviews, but from the first few shots I realized this is a lot better looking than people are giving it credit for. A big enough improvement over the DVD to upgrade, if you're a big fan of the flick.

CPT HOOK
02-03-2012, 12:04 AM
This is only $7.99 with free shipping to home at Best Buy.